Open [job thread] Moonlight Melodies

Cyrene takes her first proper shift aboard the Mischief preforming at night. Who knows who'll turn up the performance?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

[job thread] Moonlight Melodies

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 5th, 2016, 1:05 am

23rd Spring 516AV

22:13

Description "Cyrene" Thoughts Isur Tukant Others

Music :
Play this as you read the song to get a feel for the music.

The night rolled in slowly. Softly, almost like the sky had buckled beneath the might of leth’s light and as it did so the Mischief rolled and rocked lightly with the lapping of the waves at her bow. Cyrene sat lightly beneath the decks the frost and eerie pale blues of her air trailing down to her waist. The circlet of ivory wreathed her head in a halo of luminance. Almost like she held a figure of mysticism to her. She paced back and forth beneath the decks, the trail of her long black dress flowing behind her. Coupled with the soft glow of her skin and hair it made of a stark sight. Eventually the performance above decks began to die down the performers funnelling below but the musicians up there hung about.

Cyrene swallowed lightly as she pursed her fingers together unsure about how to go about what was going on. Shallow breaths, light almost unfulfilling. However the moment she stepped forwards and saw the soft crescent glow of Leth the fears melted away. Her benefactor was watching. He’d turned up to see her preform. Her temperament evened as she heard speaking from above ground.
“And now presenting our newest singer of the troupe, a beauty for all to see. Cyrene Everwind.” Klaus had announced her arrival atop the deck and now she was headed for the stage. She rose slowly the trailing of her dress behind her lightly as she took to the stage. A few soft murmurs rang throughout the crowd as she stood atop the strange stage, the flowing flags picked up in the soft evening breeze that blew the length of her hair lightly with it. She took a deep breath and slowly began to form words in her head. The band picked up with a slow beginning. A soft haunting melody something befitting the figure before them. Almost like a ghost had wandered onto the stage for them all to see. As the violins began to rise slowly she began to sing. The words rolling form her lips with s soft elegance.

“A voice for all to see~
A song hidden within the everlasting melody~
Let us all dance this night~
And forget our woes and lingering fright~”

A small pause for the music to build to a slightly faster pace.

“Within the loss of time and grace~
We lose sight of our loves face~
So Listen to the voice for all to hear~
And every one to treasure and hold dear~”

The instruments picked up, in tune she softly hummed out the next half chime waiting for the soft tip to a single violin.

“A lovers voice lost within the time~
And never more spoken a single rhyme~
So grant us all a voice to cherish~
Before it’s our time to find the finish~”

As the Music began to pick back up she paused again before repeating the chorus.

“Within the loss of time and grace~
We lose sight of our loves face~
So listen to the voice for all to hear~
And every one to treasure and hold dear~”

With the single violin falling back into place, her lips parted once again as the song flowed from her.

“With each tick, passing chime~
Forever more till the end of time~
We find ourselves wishing to end the night~
But I still love this soft moonlight~”

As the song came to a slow and almost whispering end she cast her gaze towards the sky, the clouds parted further as a soft bead of Leth’s light rolled down and ignited her hair. A glow soft and pale, fragile like a porcelain doll. A soft round of applause followed. As she stepped down from the edge of the stage briefly partially to shake off the nerves and partially to calm down from the sheer buzz of energy that was now running through her. She couldn’t sit still her fingers tittered and waive red. She needed to hit something, to carve something to put this energy to use but now she was stuck in a paused moment in time feeling like the evening would follow on forever.
Last edited by Cyrene Everwind on March 11th, 2016, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrene Everwind
Beauty in the Blaze. Song in the Steel

Words: 89296
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2016, 10:34 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on March 11th, 2016, 7:05 am

The sun was about to set as Valerius finally left his last student of the day, an Askara boy who had been more interested in smoking and making inappropriate comments than learning the finer points of etiquette. The sky had already darkened slightly and changed color from blue to different shades of pink, yellow and red. The city looked different, the Ravokian observed, a mystical place where strange things happened and the gods could very well walk among mortals.

For a few days now he had not returned to the Traveller’s Complex after finishing his work for the day, but gone for a walk instead. The people in the Rest House were getting on his nerves, commoners for the most part that had little appreciation for the finer things in life, that either had no idea what Ravok was or thought that it was a place of evil where one couldn’t possibly be happy. He was already worried that they were impacting his intelligence negatively.

This evening’s walk took him to the docks, just like so many times before. The water reminded him of his home, of the lake upon which Ravok had been built. Homesickness was a foreign feeling to Valerius and seemed fairly pointless to him, it was a sign of weakness, but he could not get rid of it entirely. There was a part of him that would always feel drawn to the water.

He could hear music coming from one of the ships and almost walked away for he had little use for such frivolities, besides music made it hard for him to think. But then he heard her voice. There was a haunting quality to it that touched something deep inside of him. He needed to hear more! He came closer, moved past the people that were listening to her until he was standing very close to her.

She was an Ethaefal! Part of him wanted to possess the rare creature, to take her home with him and have her sing for him and only for him, but then he realized that she was a free woman and that she could not be bought. He had to be content with listening to her, and that was what he did. The lyrics were nothing special – he could come up with better ones if he tried – but her voice was one of a kind. He wanted her to go on forever and ever, but unfortunately the song ended all too soon.

He just stood there for a moment, unwilling to move or even speak, afraid that it would make the magic of the moment disappear, and then he applauded. It was a rare gesture coming from a man who didn’t care for the people around him most of the time, but Cyrene would not know that.

“I have never heard one of your kind sing, my lady”, he finally spoke. The tone of his voice and the manner of his dress suggested that he belonged to the upper class of Kenash, was maybe even a dynasty member. “May I have the pleasure of your name and entice you into singing another song for me?”
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 13th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Cyrene perched herself over the table lightly her hands clasped together now as she paused in thought. She could feel the energy pulsing through her and took a few deep breaths to try and calm herself, she wasn’t leaving the ship least not at the moment. Still as she hunched over with her hair falling in front of her face she heard a voice. Given the ring to it and the clarity of the common, he was clearly someone high up but there was something else. A meekness, an uncertainty. Cyrene twisted in her seat leaning an elbow on the table lightly as she looked up. Her turquoise blue hair still in front of her face. A soft smile of practiced courtesy but assurance of self in this form.

Again the words washed over her and finally her lips parted, the softness of her voice still harmonious in her words.
“Most of my kind don’t have a reason to sing. Too lost in their own sadness or lament. It’s a shame really.” She said with a soft sadness and a light remorse to her voice. And then she continued, her voice more confidant and affirmed now. “And if you’ll forgive me, it’s normally the conversation initiator’s place to give their name first, but all the same. My name is Cyrene Everwind, and as far as singing another song for just you? Sadly I cannot right now. I’ve another three sets to do and then it may be a possibility.” Her words had a refine elegance to them, one which spoke of wisdom beyond the years she appeared.

Lifting her hands to her face slowly she pushed the hair out of her eyes. His stark blue ones would find a mysterious and almost smoky moonlight in her own. “Feel free to take a seat, it’s somewhat irreverent and impolite to stand whilst someone else sits.” Whether he took the seat or not she’d continue. “I’m guessing you’re one of the upper crust of Kenash, just judging from your appearance alone. But then again appearances are deceiving.” As she spoke a small coy smile appeared on her face.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on March 14th, 2016, 10:06 am

„Forgive me for not introducing myself“, the Ravokian spoke. His voice was gentle and polite, again a rare thing for him. He had once had a Konti slave who had made music for him. He had always thought that Melenna had been skilled beyond measure – he missed her even now, even though he would never admit it out loud – but the Ethaefal was so much more than her, in every way. She was beautiful in a way that few mortal women were. He only hoped that her other form was not that of a Jamoura or an equally unappealing creature. “I was so captivated by your song that I forgot my manners. I hope that you will see it as a compliment rather than rudeness, for I did not mean to be rude.”

“My name is Valerius Nitrozian.” Had she been a mere mortal, one of the countless singers and musicians that played for the dynasties of Kenash every evening, he would not have cared as much about making a good impression on her. In fact he would not have cared at all, but Cyrene Everwind was more than human. She was a child of the heavens and deserved as much respect as a noble lady, at least for the time being. “And I am willing to wait for an opportunity to have you sing for me or even an opportunity to just talk, for as long as I have to. For now I will be content with just being part of the audience.”

A light frown marred his face as she let him know that it was impolite to stand while somebody else was sitting – how dare she call him impolite? - but then he just nodded and took a seat.

“Upper crust?” he repeated. It seemed tempting to play a Morealis or a Sitai or even one of those damned decadent Askara for the evening, but there might be people here that would see through his lie, that would spot the brand on his left palm and draw the right conclusions. Besides, House Nitrozian was just as rich and powerful as those dynasties!

“Yes, but I’m not a lord of Kenash”, he replied. “I come from Ravok. In a way I’m just as far away from home as you are, Lady Everwind. But I do not want to hold you up any longer if there are songs you still have to sing.” He leaned back in his chair, a sign that she could continue with her next song rather than keep on talking to him if she wanted to.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on March 15th, 2016, 10:33 am

23rd Spring 516 AV,
Aboard the Mischief
Late at Night

It had been a long day yesterday, one she wanted to blockade from her mind. The night air of this place was too hot for her, it steamed and smoked and she longed for the boat that was her home now to once again set sail and travel onwards. Kenash wasn't a place she enjoyed.

But tonight, she was alone, as much alone as she could be. It was the second night in Kenash, and there was plenty of revelry to befit the place. But throughout the music, dancing and games that spilled across the deck and below, there was one performance that stuck out.

It was a woman, unlike anything Karin had ever seen before, beautiful and elegant, almost glowing. She saw many marvels on this boat of illusions, but this was a real person, she had no doubt about that.

The girl wandered closer, listening to the music. It seemed beautiful, although she didn't know much about music. For a spell, she stood listening, in the corner. When the woman finished, the girl wandered closer instinctively.

There was no doubt about it, Karin was introverted and that was a vital part of who she was, but the woman was intriguing, because it almost felt like she'd seen her before, somewhere, somehow...

But it was only when she drew closer, and overheard a snatch of conversation with a dark-haired man that things clicked into place. Or rather, she knew who the woman was. But it didn't make any sense. Cyrene. This woman wasn't Cyrene, the Isur. It couldn't be...

The girl drew back as far into the shadows as she could, not wanting to be noticed. She would step forwards after they had finished their conversation, or once this woman (who Karin refused to believe was Cyrene) had finished her second song.

Then they'd see who she really was.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 18th, 2016, 5:21 pm

Music :

Cyrene sat in the soft light of Leth her turquoise blue hair falling lightly in front of her face. The man opposite her introduced himself as “Valerius Nitrozian” A strange name and not one that she was too familiar with. But he was willing to wait for an opportunity for her? A small smirk crossed her features absent her control.
“Forgive me but, it is odd to hear that I’m in any kind of demand or request. Except for my skill with my hands.” She let her words hang in the air. Flittering about back and forth letting him simmer on them and ponder her meaning. Not a lord of Kenash though? Still his voice carried an air to it that didn’t seem to fit too well with an average commoner. Then it all made sense, a Ravokian.
“It’s no mind. I will be returning momentarily.” She rose slowly, the rear cloth of her dress trailing behind her as her hair tumbled over her shoulders like a curtain of soft moonlight. She stepped back up to the stage the circled of her horns catching the light from leth and the torchlight from below.

The violins picked up again. A few seconds passed and she begain, her voice flowing like cerene and clear water.

“We kill the lights, and put on a show~
It’s all a lie, but you’d never know~”

She softly finished her words matching the timing of the violins as best she could.

“We whisper the words, soft and clear~
But you don’t want to listen, never have dear~”

She took a soft walk around the stage the length of her hair falling across her face as she did so, the small actions she took brought a life that she didn’t expect.

“We tell the truth, in a hushed voice~
Still you can’t hear, through the noise~”

She lifted her eyes to Leth and continued her words carrying more weight than she may have meant.

“We scream out to you as hard as we can~
It makes no difference, no matter what we plan~"

The violins picked up with a harder tone now bringing up the tempo as she cast her eyes back out over the crowd.

“We walk the land looking to be found~
We cry out, but you can’t hear a sound~”

She let her eyes fall to the ground, her hand slightly by her sides.

“It’s been many years since we fell apart~
And since then, there’s been an ache in my heart~”

She let the violins finish out and stepped down from the stage slowly the soft applause falling like the sound of waves against her ears. Inconsequential and irrelevant. She sat back down in her seat softly the lightest shimmer of a tear in the corner of her eye as she did so. Blinking twice she batted it away.
“I’m terribly sorry, where were we?” She lifted her head again with a smile light and soft, and as much an act as the performers on earlier. Unless one know her personality they wouldn’t know it was fake, or had a deep intuition because even her words right now didn’t let on to her true mind set.
Last edited by Cyrene Everwind on March 20th, 2016, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on March 20th, 2016, 7:26 am

„Your skill with your hands?“ Valerius arched an eyebrow. What could she possibly do with her hands? Did she play an instrument as well? Was she perhaps a seamstress that created magnificent gowns of silk and velvet? Or was she a writer, a poet maybe? Without a doubt it was a job that required dexterity and elegance. He could not imagine a child of the Ukalas doing anything else. „You should be in much higher demand, Lady Everwind. Your voice belongs into the residences of the lords and ladies of Kenash and Ravok.“

As she stepped onto the stage again and sang her second song, his thoughts began to wander, almost against his will. The melody was hauntingly beautiful, and the words she sang touched something deep inside of him, something he had not known existed. It was as if she sang for him and only for him, as if she knew him in a way that nobody else knew him. He found himself thinking of Ravok, the temple, the Black Sun, of the people that had bled for him, of the darkness, the pain, the lies. Was that why he had left? Or had he really only come to Kenash for the sake of business?

He also found himself wondering about her. How long had she been alive and what kind of things had she seen? Had she seen the world after the Valterrian? Had she witnessed the chaos and the destruction? Had she perhaps been there when Ravok had been founded or even before that? Had she known Sagallius as a mortal man? He wanted to talk to her and pry all her secrets from her. Valerius wanted money, he wanted luxury, but even more than that he wanted knowledge, for knowledge meant power.

As she stepped from the stage again, it seemed to him for a moment as if she had been crying. In most other cases he would have seen tears as a sign of weakness, but not here. The look in her eyes and the way that her voice had suddenly become soft, her confusion were as much a part of her song as everything else. They made it perfect. He applauded again. „This song was even better than the first“, he let her know. How many songs did she still have to sing before she would finally be his? One or two? He was impatient, but only slightly so. Part of him was simply looking forward to hearing her voice once more.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Karin on March 23rd, 2016, 1:14 pm

The second song the beautiful woman sang was just as serene as the first one, and as she stepped aside for a break, the girl followed. The words she sang weren't something that Karin identified with, they seemed altogether far too depressed, but the music was something that touched her, somewhere inside. Any time she heard a melody she was reminded of the faint snatches of song she could only just remember from her time on the Suvan.

But it wasn't something she dwelled upon, merely storing her feelings away to talk about later. Instead, she looked around the deck as she approached the singer. As she worked on the ship as well as the performers, she was trying to get to know who people were. As this was the first stop since Alvadas, many of the performers were working into the night, just like this woman, giving many opportunities to wander and discover who was who, matching faces to names, or faces to places and wondering about their pasts and histories alike.

Karin was mostly curious about this evening's entertainment though, and she placed herself in the circle of conversation between the two people, introducing herself without words. "You have a very nice voice..." The girl wasn't good at compliments, so coming from her this was indeed praise.

But mostly, she wanted to judge the reaction. She glanced up at Cyrene, and then at the other person, a man who she couldn't remember seeing before. "I'm Karin, by the way." If it was rude to jump into the conversation like that, she didn't realise.

"What brings you to this ship this evening?" The girl smiled, cautiously but not afraid. She was dressed in clothes nowhere near as fine as the two others, in fact, her clothes were getting more worn the more she wore them each and every day for work. Since joining the Mischief her skin had started slowly to get browner, but most of all, since coming from Alvadas, she looked a lot more... happy.

So, with her curious smile fading somewhat, the girl waited for an answer, or for the conversation to flow on as it had been. The evening's light shone down, and the soft conversation warmed the night air all around.

10/7/17- All my threads are marked [open] and as such are open to all. :)
Karin
Ocean gazing

Words: 384298
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2015, 10:05 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Cyrene Everwind on March 28th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Cyrene gave off a small smile and her eyes flicked away from the table with his words. The length of her blue hair falling into her face shrouding her features a little. “It’s a shame really I only have this voice and comfort within myself at night. And with summer crawling closer and the days growing longer…There’s less and less time for me to enjoy it.” She spoke calmly now leaning over the table again apparently her music got better with time. Something she’d have to remember. But before she could continue a familiar face if a little browner now walked on over.

“Thank you for the compliment Karin. You’re a little…More tanned than I remember seeing you last.” Cyrene spoke with an even voice light but still harmonious. “It’s also nice to see you smiling for a change.” However as the conversation continued it became clearer that Karin didn’t remember her or at least didn’t recognize her in this form. “It’s a shame Karin. I’m headed from Alvadas to Lhavit same as you.” A small smile crossed Cyrene’s lips as she spoke, the hair still falling in front of and framing her features.

Cyrene offered her arm out for Karin to take a seat at the table. It would be apparent that Karin worked on the ship but closer in the sailing aspect rather than the performing aspect. “Still though it’s odd to see you above decks at this time of night?” Cyrene then flicked her gaze back over to Valerious, her soft moonlight eyes catching against his own. “Only one more song and then I’m free for the evening, or what little remains of it. But until then I’ve still got some time between the last and the next.” She lifted her hands onto the table interlaced and lightly in front of her. She was guarded but not out of impoliteness but rather out of detachment. She wanted to keep from gaining close bonds with mortals. It only ended painfully for her after all. Watching them growing old and then fading into dust.
Cyrene Everwind

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on March 30th, 2016, 5:22 am

Valerius paid hardly any attention to the other people that were listening to Cyrene. They were of no concern to him. If he could have done so, he would have sent them all away so that he could uncover the creature’s secrets sooner. He only reacted, slightly reluctantly, as Karin insisted on introducing herself and looked at her from out of cool blue eyes for a moment, before he answered, in a voice that seemed almost a hint too polite: “I’m Valerius. As for what brings me here. I only came here by accident when I heard the music.” She was utterly plain, he decided, blonde, with blue eyes, like a thousand others. He doubted that there was anything that could be gained from associating with her.

Since the Ethaefal seemed to know her, he would refrain from ignoring her outright though, he decided as he doubted that Cyrene would appreciate it. He had been about to stop talking and simply lean back in his chair, so that she would sing her last song sooner, but unfortunately she seemed to have decided to make small talk first. He was tempted to just not contribute anything to the conversation, but then a sentence that she said caught his attention. “Tell me, Lady Everwind, what do you become when the sun rises?” he asked and hoped that it was not an unpleasant, lowly creature, something ugly and disgusting. He did not want to think about what he would do then.

As her gaze flickered back to him, he gave her a smile that almost seemed to be genuine. “What will your next song be about?” he wanted to know. “Will it be another song about a lost love and a broken heart or something more? Are there songs that only Ethaefal sing?” He sounded as if he was mainly interested in her music and not in the information that she likely possessed, in her immortality and the things she had seen.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes