Alliances (Tanith Sitai)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Alliances (Tanith Sitai)

Postby Verena Lorak on March 8th, 2016, 1:48 pm

Alliances
7th of Spring, 516 A.V.

Despite Hallan’s protest, Verena insisted to carry a bag full of bandages and a small box full of syringes. It was just foolish that he wanted to carry the whole lot of them when she was carrying nothing at all. Besides, he would become slowed by the weight and Verena preferred that they reached the clinic as soon as possible.

It was a quite night in early spring. The streets were mostly empty when usually slaves would be sent across the city on errands – even the Midnight Market wasn’t bustling as usual. No one had forgotten what happened last season just yet. It was enough to make people decide to lay low. It did not affect Verena so much, though, not when she needed to make sure that her clinic was well-stocked.

They were taking the long way back to the clinic – passing through the Gamboling Bridge instead of heading straight back to the Fountain Plaza – when shouts suddenly caught her attention. Verena turned her head toward the other end of the island, only to see a figure running at full speed to her general direction. Ticks later, she realized that he was not alone and instead was followed by a group of men dressed in fancy clothes. They were the ones who were shouting.

Even from a brief glance, the healer could see that the two men were already injured, limping and stumbling. It was to no one’s surprise when the group of Dynasts caught up to them, not ten feet from the Lorak was standing. She wasn’t sure what she was expecting, but her eyes widened when the Dynasts surrounded the pair and started to beat them.

The cry of pain was more than enough to snap the healer into action. Even after more than twenty years, Verena had never learned to control her reflex to assist the injured. It was a kind gesture, but in Kenash, it mostly led to unwanted conflict. Still, the Lorak’s main concern was ending another’s pain and everything else did not matter.

“Lady Verena!” Had Hallan been empty-handed, he would have reached out for his mistress’s arms, knowing that words would not be able to deter the healer’s instincts.

With no one to stop her, the Lorak walked directly toward the ring of people. One of the man, blue-skinned and tall-statured noticed her presence. He was ready to bark an order at what he expected was a Freeborn woman, but when his eyes took in her fine clothes, his face changed. “My lady, this is not a place a woman should be. You should go.”

“You should stop hurting them,” she said simply. Of course, Verena was not foolish enough to think that her words would be enough, but what else could she do?

“Are you defending these criminals, my lady? They had hurt one of my friends. Surely we have the right to hurt them too.”

“None of your friends seemed more hurt than those two,” Verena observed, her voice plain. “I doubt you have any right to inflict pain on someone else.”

Anger flared in the Akalak’s eyes, even if the Lorak did not notice. On the other hand, her slave spotted the threat and dropped all the bags he was carrying, ready to protect his mistress if it comes down to it.

Before things could get worse, the clopping of horseshoes made them turn their heads. Verena immediately recognized the man walking beside the handsome strider. “What is going on?” Caedmon Paille looked calm and collected as usual, being the protector of Kenash that he was. Their eyes met briefly before he dived straight between the Dynasts, pushing her back behind him gently.

She could not deny the slight thrumming in her chest.

“Break it up, gentlemen,” he said as he pushed through the crowd, shoving people away firmly. He wasn’t the most intimidating in size, but the way he carried himself was enough to make most people back down. Still, it took a few ticks later for the men to turn the attention to him.

“Go away, boy! This is none of your business!” one of them called out.

The young man merely smiled politely. “I am not a boy, sir. My job is to keep the peace in Kenash and your little scuffle is disrupting it. So, I suggest you let it go. These men will be punished accordingly.”

For the first time, the men took in the thick markings that wrapped around both of Caedmon’s arms, marking him as a Drykas. Everyone knew that the Pailles were in charge of the security of Kenash, patrolling the city constantly with their striders. Some would be more than happy to look away from Dynasts’ crimes, but Verena knew Caedmon was not one of them. After all, there was a reason why he was divinely marked by the god of integrity.

They seemed to consider taking him on, looking at the Paille up and down. Verena was not the only one who noticed for Caedmon straightened, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. The tension was growing between them and without thinking, Verena stepped forward to grab a hold of the back of Caedmon’s shirt. She wasn’t interested in the least to see him fight.

Eyeing them both, the group of Dynasts finally decided to step away from the men they were hitting. The Akalak bowed mockingly. “It is bad manners to start a fight in from a beautiful lady.” It took nearly a chime for the group to reluctantly leave, looking back at them with something like anger the whole time.

Convinced that the threat was gone, Verena released her grip, suddenly remembering that someone might recognize them and gossip about the way she stood close to him. Fortunately, Caedmon was not in the mood to lecture her about that. He had another topic in mind.

“Really, Rena? After everything that happened, you still walk in the middle of the night with no protection?” the Paille said in a tone that would sound exhausted to most people, though a small smile played on his lips. He squatted down next to the two men. “And do not tell me that you have Hallan because I highly doubt he can defend you from any sort of attacker. Not only that, you rashly decide to run into the middle of a fight. Aren’t you supposed to be smart?”

“I can–”

He held up his hand, stopping her words. “Stop, on second thought, I do not need to hear your intelligent, rational explanation. You are lucky I happen to be near.” He turned to the Benshiran slave behind her. “You should have stopped her.”

Despite their familiarity with each other, Hallan bowed respectfully. “My apologies, sir. It will not happen again.”

“You and I both know it will still happen a lot more times, unfortunately.” With a shake of his head, the Paille turned his attention back to the injured men while Verena noticed a shadowed figure in the corner of her eyes.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Words: 234038
Joined roleplay: August 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Alliances (Tanith Sitai)

Postby Tanith Sitai on March 15th, 2016, 12:39 pm

[googlefont=Roboto Condensed]
Tanith yawned, barely resisting the urge to lay her head down on the counter and sleep right where she stood, in the very centre of her own shop. But, her work was not yet done for the day, and Tanith sighed, directing her attention back to her stock book. It was getting quite late in the afternoon, and Tanith was eager to return to the Bloodflower Plantation, and more importantly, her bed. The day had been wrought with nothing but customer after customer, and for the most part they had been difficult, moody and plain irritating. The flurry of business and the good portion of Miza's she had earned made the trouble worth it, though the depletion in her stores was causing an ache to rise in her temples. Tanith glanced up as Haven flapped and cawed announcing the opening of the door, and Astrid hushed him as she slipped back inside the shop, flicking the 'open' sign around to 'closed'. The older woman, usually calm and collected, had a worried crease between her brows.

"What is it?" Tanith asked, her foggy mind clearing at the obvious worry emanating from her slave. Straightening, Tanith snapped her book closed and set down her quill, moving out of Astrids way as the woman hurried over to her side. "There's been a brawl, just down the road." She replied finally, slightly out of breath as she began gathering up salves and balms, stuffing them into Taniths bag. "With who?" Tanith asked, interests piqued as she moved about the store and began gathering bandages and gauze. "Dynasts? Freeborns?" She paused by her bag, having topped it off with the last of the supplies they would likely need."Not slaves, surely? I need paying customers Astrid, not slaves." She said, crossing her arms over her chest. The Raven's Rose was a business, not a charity, and though Tanith regularly provided support at accident sites and fights, her services were not given free of charge.

"I did not stop to ask for their names and pedigree, My Lady." Astrid sniffed sarcastically, smiling slightly. Tanith snorted in return, use to and fond of her slave's honest and bold manner. Astrid had belonged to Taniths family since before she had been born, and as such Tanith treated the older woman more as a friend and a motherly figure than a slave. In private, the two were familiar and comfortable with each other, the closest of friends. Though once out with the public, even amongst Tanith's extended family, the two played the proper roles of Lady and slave. "They didn't look too severe." Astrid continued, fastening the bag closed and hoisting it over her shoulder. "Though we should hurry before they all clear off." Tanith nodded in agreement, more concerned with losing potential customers than the wellbeing of those involved in the brawl.

It was a short, easy walk from the shop, they easily made their way down the round and around the corner towards the Gamboling Bridge. As soon as the two had rounded the corner, and the buildings had cleared from their view, the remnants of the brawl came into quick focus along the otherwise still and silent street. As they arrived, the assailants began to turn and make their ways home, leaving only the two victims on the ground, surrounded by what Tanith assumed were their saviours.

"Hmm." Tanith stopped a ways from the group, setting her hands on her hip."Seem's we're late." She murmured, sweeping her sharp gaze over the little group that had gathered. Of the few there, Tanith recognised only two, and even then, not nearly well enough. Stepping forward, she folded her hands neatly into the small of her back, and held her chin high."Good afternoon, Lady Lorak, Lord Paille." She greeted politely, with a dip of her head. "It looks as though we've all come to lend a hand." She drew nearer as she spoke, Astrid trailing behind her with her head bowed respectfully.[color=#fbd0b8]"I hope I can be of some asistance."
[/font]

4/6 Threads

The Raven's Rose | Boxcode's | Adoptable's | Art
Tanith Sitai
Spitfire

Words: 24594
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2015, 3:51 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Alliances (Tanith Sitai)

Postby Verena Lorak on March 24th, 2016, 1:35 am

Verena watched as two figures headed in their direction. A young, striking woman was carrying a heavy-looking bag and beside her was an older woman. She wondered what they wanted. Some pedestrians had walked past them before, but most simply stared and whispered to each other. Losing her interest just as quickly, Verena knelt down to make sure none of the Freeborns were injured to severely, handing her things to Hallan at the same time.

The first one was a young man with raven hair and blue eyes. He was probably around her age and groaning in pain as he propped himself up with his arms. Blood still gushed from his nose and he kept shaking his head, probably from a blow to his skull. He was a bit disoriented, but fortunately he had not shown any symptoms that would indicate severe head trauma. When he lifted up his right hand, he flinched and cursed to himself – he might have sprained his wrist.

“Mind telling me what sort of trouble you two got into?” Caedmon asked, his voice firm but gentle. He looked at the other man, the one with blonde-hair and the older one of the two. “They might leave you alone for now, but they might also return the favor another time.”

Before anyone could respond, a voice broke through. “Good afternoon, Lady Lorak, Lord Paille. It looks as though we’ve all come to lend a hand.”

Verena glanced up to see the two women. So they had come to help then. Most Dynasts and Freeborns alike wouldn’t care or prefer not to get tangled up in the trouble. Not so discreetly, Verena scrutinized the young woman’s face closely. She recognized most of the doctors here in Kenash, but she did not recall the woman with long brown hair.

“We should bring them inside or at least get them out of the streets,” the Lorak decided, not even bothering with an introduction. “Do you live nearby?” Walking them both to her clinic will be too much of a trouble, but the young healer would prefer they were treated in a more comfortable environment.

Standing from the ground, Caedmon smiled at the healer’s single-mindedness when it came to patients. “I think we should introduce one another first, Rena.” He turned to the hazel-eyed woman, smirking. “My name is Caedmon Paille and this rude young woman here is Verena Lorak. I hope she doesn’t offend you, she has a tendency to be too focused on the injured. May I ask for your name, my lady?” Even though Verena couldn’t care less, Caedmon could tell that the woman was a Dynast and it was better not to insult her somehow.
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Alliances (Tanith Sitai)

Postby Tanith Sitai on April 12th, 2016, 10:50 am

[googlefont=Roboto Condensed]

OOCSorry this took me so long, and sorry my reply is so short! I should be posting more frequently now however! :)

Tanith arched a brow, put off by the other womans less than polite manner.
"You're welcome to bring them by my shop." Tanith said, somewhat stiffly, gesturing to Astrid, who immediately moved forward to help one of the men to his feet. Her gaze darted from the Lorak to the Paille as he began to speak, and his introduction was far more fitting for two Dynasts. Tanith smiled, dipping her head in greeting. "A pleasure, Lord Paille, Lady Lorak. I am Tanith Sitai." She finished with another polite dip, and after a moment of sweeping her gaze over the little scene in front of her, she turned. Without much further ado, she began the short walk back towards her shop, leaving the other man to the two dynasts and the slave.

"I own the Ravens Rose, if you've heard of it. It's a small apothecary, but it should suit our needs just fine." She called over her shoulder, as Astrid fell into step behind her. The Raven would be more than equipped enough to deal with a few bloody noses and cuts, but anything more severe would have to be taken elsewhere. Before long they had reached The Raven, Tanith unlocked the door and held it open so the others could help in the two injured men. Haven cawed and flapped at them from his perch by the door, turning his glossy head to study them with a large, black eye.

Once they were all inside, Tanith closed the door, moving to pull a chair out from behind the counter, and retrieve a second one from her philtering lab for the men to sit on. Once her apron was tied securely over her dress, Tanith turned to regard Verena. The woman clearly had more experience in medical matters than Tanith, so for once the Sitai woman decided to defer to another.
"Whould you like to examine them further, Lady Lorak?" She began, pausing to pull a variety of jars and bandages from the bag she had prepared earlier.
[/font]

4/6 Threads

The Raven's Rose | Boxcode's | Adoptable's | Art
Tanith Sitai
Spitfire

Words: 24594
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2015, 3:51 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Alliances (Tanith Sitai)

Postby Verena Lorak on April 23rd, 2016, 2:40 am

Hallan immediately helped the older slave, despite having his hands full. Seeing his struggle, the Lorak stood and took all their bags from him.

“I own the Ravens Rose, if you've heard of it. It's a small apothecary, but it should suit our needs just fine,” explained the dark-haired woman. The Sitai led the way.

Verena nearly opened her mouth to point out that Tanith should help instead of simply leading the way, but Caedmon read her mind and motioned at her to shut up. The Lorak pressed her lips together, unhappy but used to Caedmon’s silent scoldings.

He soon turned back to the Freeborns. “Well these two beautiful ladies had offered to treat you, so– ”

The older of the two, the one with blonde hair, shook his head vigorously, distrust clear in his eyes. “We can take care of ourselves. We do not need your help.” He tried to pull away from the slaves, but nearly toppled over as soon as he had no one to lean on.

“Both of you can barely walk, we will have to heal you,” Verena pointed out blandly as she straightened. “As soon as we are finished, you will be free to leave.”

Reluctantly, the two Freeborns nodded, finally letting them help. The blue-eyed man threw his arm across Caedmon’s shoulder and began moving slowly, following Tanith’s lead. Verena decided to hang back, watching their progress from behind. The back of her neck prickled uncomfortably, making her glance back. She immediately spotted the Dynasts from earlier, huddled in an alley, looking straight at them.

Pressing her lips together, the Lorak pushed her worry away and quickly followed the others, heading towards the shop Tanith mentioned.

The Raven’s Rose… The healer had heard about the apothecary in passing, but never actually stepped inside. Some of her patients had mentioned it when she gave them lists of herbs, but Verena never gave it much thought. It did not matter where they got their tinctures as long as it was potent. She supposed Tanith was herbalist then. She could ask her thing or two about herbs for it was not her forte.

While they all struggled to get inside, Verena made a quick scan of the walls that surrounded her. It was perfect. She could spot various herbs that she was familiar with, noting the helpful one in her mind. It was awfully convenient that they had the opportunity to drag two injured men right into an apothecary.

As soon as the Freeborn were comfortably seated, Caedmon bowed to the two women and headed towards the door. “I am afraid I have to return to my patrol, I leave you two beautiful ladies to it then.” Just before he opened the door, he turned back. “Hallan, make sure your mistress return without falling into more trouble.” The Benshiran slave understood that it meant making sure Lady Verena did not make the enemy of another Dynasty lady.

“Would you like to examine them further, Lady Lorak?”

Verena nodded as she turned to the dark-haired Freeborn and knelt down in front of him to inspect his ankle. “What is your name?” It was the very basic question she was thought to ask to every patient. Back when she was inexperienced, Verena often forgotten to ask names and immediately questioned about her patients about their injuries. Personally, it was more effective, wasting less time, but she had grown to learn that asking for names made the patients more comfortable.

Briefly, the Lorak turned to her fellow Dynast. “Do you know medicine?” Verena would assume Tanith did for one would need a bit of medicine to master herbalism. “If so, you can help with the other one.”

"Speaking."

Boxcode by Marion Kay
Verena Lorak
Detached Doctor

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes