One Needs to learn Defense:

(Antinous Training Grounds), Ferrin gets a few pointers on how to use a shield.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 9th, 2016, 3:12 am

SPRING, 07,516AV

First the armor and now the shield? Why does it appear to Ferrin that Ser Xervos is rushing things with no haste and quick as a blue jay swerving through the trees? The armor had already weighed a ton. And to add; the shield almost doubles the weight. "With the shield. One would have the benefit for more protection."Ser Xervos smirked with a somewhat soothing smile. Ferrin nodded as he hefted the shield to adjust his level of comfort.

"So, with the shield I would be able to defend myself... More properly."Ferrin replied curiously as he leaned lightly against his heels. Ser Xervos nodded his head up and down with a slight smile. And gingerly waved his hands over to Ferrin for him to come over as his visage expressed one anxious countenance. Ferrin strolled over the Grounds as he tried over and over to get the shield to fit right. "I guess, the first thing we need you to do is to understand how to put on a shield."Ser Xervos smirked. He used his grotesque hands to adjust Ferrins' shield once more and said coldly "There."

Ferrin released a small smirk, one un-noticeable by the Knight. Though, if he had ever dared so look closely one could see the hatred that filled through Ferrins eyes and the anxiety that lingered on his lips. A quick tick was how long the smirk had ever lasted before Ser Xervos went back to his explanations. "There are many advantages and disadvantages to wielding and holding a shield."The Knight said orderly. As he walked paces back and forth as if in a rhythm.

"What are some of the advantages?"The Kenashian asked hoarsely as he tucked on the steel that framed around his neck with his open hand. Ser Xervos stopped pacing around and glared at Ferrin as if eyeing him for scars and cuts from a previous battle. But, without the motherly visage of worry. "First off. For the love of Sylir, do not ask me so much questions. And secondly, always address your patron by their rank. No matter whom. And to answer your question Squire Ferrin. There are only a few. One of which I can name up on the top of my tongue."Ser Xervos replied with a snarl. Ferrin nodded. "Very well then, Ser Xervos."The Kenashian said strangely.

"Now back to as I was saying prior. Many advantages with a shield and perhaps just as much disadvantages. One of the advantages that I can remember quite well for a beginner like you is that the shield tends to keep your head focused while in combat scenarios."The knight explained.

There were a few other squires training with short swords and shields as well. But, they seem to be interpreting the idea. As of Ferrin, he doesn't really learn audibly. He would be considered as one of those "Hands On," learners. For what it seems like. Though, he understands now that the straps have to fit round his arm. Ferrin shifted awkward positions from his heels to his feet and lifted off both of them repeatedly, slowly with a weird sense of fashion.

"Alright. Whats the first lesson?"Ferrin asked without mentioning the disadvantages. Which would be what exactly?

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :
Dimensions Changed to: 300x150 pixels.

Credits to Prophet for making this amazing Sig. He does a great job!
I'm Open To Guest Storytelling Let Me Know, and I'll See What I Can Do!
|| Syliras Lore * Syliras * Plotnotes * My Scrap *Ferrins CS ||
Ferrin Al'Mandrikan
Loving Family Man - Protective Squire

Words: 705389
Joined roleplay: July 16th, 2015, 1:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 14th, 2016, 12:08 am

TIMESTAMP:

Timestamp: 07, Spring, 516AV

Ticks flew by like leaves through a gentle wind. With the shield strappe with comfortability around the squires arm. Ferrin, the squire, wiggled his hands to loosen up the low leveled strain that had been brought to his wrist. With a sigh... Ser Xervos began to explain the disadvantages of the shield."It's not much of a disadvantage, but it definitely adds more weight which would make your movements restricted more so." Said Ser Xervos as he paced back and forth. The Knight took his right hand and stopped his pacing and he tapped it lightly in a state of confusion. Ferrin stood still awaiting the information that his Knight was about to include.

"Not only that it districts your movement capability, but also drains a lot of your stamina."The Knight said in a matter of fact tone. He wavered his left hand and abided the info as if he didn't want to talk about it anymore and he gave a smirk to Ferrin. His black curled hair that matched Ferrins' own swiveled as he moved his head towards one of the arenas that occupied the Training Grounds. "Ser?" Ferrin asked lightly. Before the Knight could walk, he turned his head and faced the squire,"Yes?" Asked Ser Xervos impatiently. "Any tactics or strategies?" Ferrin asked awkwardly. As he slowly followed Ser Xervos while the Knight picked his steps towards one of the arenas.

"Yes... Try not to die."Said Xervos as he let loose a cold grin and led Ferrin to the arena. Where there was already a few Knights and squires about training their squires. Ferrin scoffed to himself in a low quiet volume, one where Ser Xervos might release a look of content and anxiety. But, fortunately, he didn't even bother to look behind him. Though, Ferrin was sure of it that he had heard.

The nearest Knight greeted him and spoke formally. Ferrin nodded as Ser Xervos introduced him to the other patron. Well, at least the other Knight hadn't looked to strict as Ser Xervos did. And plus, the other patron wasn't related to him either."Say hello Ferrin. This is Ser Matthews. A good fellow Knight. Though, HDS not usually around the Grounds much. What brings you here?""Hello Ser Matthews. "Ferrin said as he took two curious looks at one to the other.

" I have a squire myself now adays. This squire of your own looks mildly similar to your own physique Exavier."Said Matthews. Matthews took a look back at the arena behind him with a turn of his head and a twist of his body. As Ferrin had taken a look around Ser Matthews, a squire had thrusted his Longsword just in front of another and stopped instantly before some other squires chest."Check mate."The squire announced as he sheathed his sword into its sheath.

"Letwig. Come here. Meet your next opponent." Ser Matthews said as he waved the squire to come over. Letwig, crossed over the arena as the other squire followed back to his Knight who stood by the dummies. "Yes, Ser Matthews. Who's this?"Asked the squire."Ferrin Al'Mandrikan. Nephew of Exavier here."The middle aged squire examined the two before him and smirked cooly. Almost melancholy as he did so.

"Pleased to meet you Ferrin. I'm Letwig. Ready to duel?" Asked the squire formally, but cooly as he smiled briefly. Ferrin nodded and spoke with a low volume almost shyful, but he attempted his best in confidence to speak "Aye pleasure to meet you as well Squire Letwig. I had seen that you can use that Longsword fairly well."Letwig smirked and nodded. While Xervos and Matthews stepped away to converse with themselves. Perhaps even get back in touch after awhile.

"Oh this thing?"Said the squire rhetorically. He slowly traced the pommel of the blade "I can be quite good with it if you say so. Probably won't say that I'm the best, but definitely going to try and be." Ferrin nodded awkwardly a bit and he shifted position with his shield to adjust it properly once more, as if it were a nervous habit."Hmmm. I see." Ferrin said calmly.

The Knights came back to the two squires with some sort of confirmation."Best two out of three. Can you two handle it appropriately? " Asked Ser Xervos ignorantly."Yes I-"His words were interrupted as Ferrin spoke, Letwig had taken his place almost instantly, "Yes I don't think we'll have a problem with it Ser." Interrupted Letwig."Then get to it then. Prepare yourselves."

Al'Mandrikan

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 1st, 2016, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

"With a heart of steel, I raise my blade in combat. The only thoughts I have in my mind is whether I'd return home to my family. I am a soldier, and will fight for love and peace. That is the way of being a Syliran Knight"-Ferrin.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 14th, 2016, 6:19 pm

TIMESTAMP:

[leftTimestamp: 07, Spring, 516AV

With the two squires going underway with their battle stance. The two Knights, Ser Xervos and Ser Matthews conversed and almost bribed for bets just to see who would win off the battle. "I bet you ten Gold Mizas Exavier. My bow Letwig will terminate Ferrin. And without such mercy."Ser Matthews cocked his head and smirked a nasty grin towards his fellow Knight. Such boasts Ser Xervos almost cringed at the insult."I doubt it highly. Without a shield, he has risked more chances of injuires."Said Ser Xervos matter of factly.

"Well, true. But, Ferrin would be slowed with that shield and armor of his. It's a bit to much? Rushing the training again eh?"Asked Matthews as he dug around his pocket for those Gold Mizas. Which dwell longingly and aged quite a bit."Ah... Here they are. Ten Gold Mizas at the ready. I bargain, where are yours my good Exavier? You have got money don't you?"Said Ser Matthews as he smirked a grin and clenched the ten golden mizas in his left hand.

" I do indeed."Ser Xervos replied as he scoffed back in reply. Not wanting to participate in the wager."Though, I believe that this is quire foolish if you asked me. Quite child's play it is. Said the Knight as he gingerly overlooked the positions of Ferrin and Letwig, whom is just another Squire out for training. Back at the arena ring, where Ferrin and Letwig had been preparing for battle. "Alright, suit yourself then mate, only been trying to make a couple of mizas here. You can understand right?"Asked Ser Matthews as he carefully put away the ten golden mizas he had left out, back where it belonged, in his pocket.

Ser Xervos nodded. "Lets just examine there battle tactics. And see... What we can learn and need for them to improve on... Okay?"The Knight asked as he took another look at the two squires before him.

Ferrin had his usual stance. His right foot pivoted in front of his left. His shield held adjacent to the perpendicular height of his chest and his short broadsword held in his right. The Kenasina twirled the blade around his right hand and awaited for Letwig to gather his appearance. Letwig, took his left leg and slid it around to face the front and he pivoted his side to twist his body ever so slightly. Longsword, grasped with two hands at the hilt, two sweaty hands. "Now... Lets see what you two can do."Said Ser Xervos.[/left]

Al'Mandrikan

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 1st, 2016, 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 16th, 2016, 1:34 am

TIMESTAMP:

Ferrin took his stance. Sword aimed at Letwig whom took his own stance. It was strange, there were many other squires in the Grounds, but Ser Xervos had selected Letwig to battle Ferrin. For what reason was it; the Kenashian had not known."Aye, Ferrin? You ready?"Letwig asked, Ferrin nodded with his helm over and on his thick sized head. "Ready as much as you are, I suppose. Let's get this started."Letwig scoffed a big grin over his aged visage. One of which, made him appear as older as he is already.

"Just watch out for the blade. I'm dangerous with this longsword."Letwig taunted. As he twirled the blade around in a certain fashion to make Ferrin want to cringe a bit and step away. "Ha, let's see how well you can fend for yourself without the shield eh. I guess your the offender here." Ferrin said with a weak smile that sprouted around the rim of the helm. Letwig had noticed the smirk. And he flicked his head and his hair fell over his eyelids.

"Start!" Ser Xervos commanded.

In an instant, Letwig sprung up to the Kenashian with high speed. Longsword aimed towards Ferrins chest, the tip pointed directly towards Ferrins chest, or where it was pointed to until the shield deflected the blow. There was a sensational vibration that tingled through Ferrin and all over his armor.

Letwig retraced his steps and regained his fighting stance, Ferrin stood there and awaited his next move. But, the Syliran was waiting for Ferrins turn of attack. Ferrin picked up his feet and trekked towards Letwig, who hadn't seemed surprised at all. The Kenashian took a swing with his short broadsword and aimed for the waist of Letwig. Letwig, the other squire, gingerly blocked it as if it were a slice of cake. He smirked and "hmphed" at the Kenashians' failed attempt to end the duel so early.

"Is that the best you can do? You must be breaking up a sweat already..."Smirked Letwig.

OOCThese are just some random people. The squire and the Knight.

Al'Mandrikan

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 1st, 2016, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on March 20th, 2016, 1:01 pm

TIMESTAMP:

"I'm not going to give up that easily, if that was what your thinking?"Scoffed the Kenashian. Ferrin took a few paces aback. Letwig allowed a few breaths before he went in for the strike. First was a thrust to Ferrins side where he held his sword. Ferrin parried the block and stepped up with shuffling feet to attempt a swing at Letwigs' side. The man easily parried the attempt with his Longsword and didn't even move another hair.

Ferrin then, unmistakably bashed his shield into the chest of Letwig. There, the attempt merely daxed his opponent. And Letwig, fell to one knee."Surely, you aren't the one to give up." Said Ferrin as he had taken a few paces back. Ser Xervos stood a bit flabbergasted in the attempt. Though, mostly it seemed like beginners luck to throw down a highly advanced squire with a bash of a shield.

Letwig, held his Longsword with one hand as it drooped to the floor and took his other hand to hold it against the brim of his nose. The top of the shield must have had cut his nose. Red thick liquid slowly began to pour out of one of the nostrils. See Matthews raised his left hand and said "Stop."Letwig nodded and sheathed his Longsword in its sheath. Ferrin did the same and was a bit shocked of the injury that he had had caused with his ignorance.

"Did I do something wrong Ser?"Asked Ferrin awkwardly as he stood upright facing the two Knights before him. Letwig had started walking to Ser Matthews and Ser Xervos had decided that he should give a melancholy glare at his Squire. But, a smile of small pride reflected over and Ferrin could realize that he'd had done a good to better job."We, just don't need anyone else killed. Good job with the spar, both of you. Best be seeing you off now Ser Xervos. The healer can attend to Letwigs' broken nose." Ser Xervos nodded."Okay. Have fun at the visit." Teased Ser Xervos. He noticed Ferrin and his rasped breaths as he stood.

Ser Matthews and Letwig, took their steps in the direction of where the healing house is."You can have the rest of the day off. Good job Ferrin." Ferrin nodded and smiled after he had taken off his helm. With the dismissal. He walked over to the armor stand and relinquished the armor and sword that was not his for his blade was resting at home.

He would then, take a soothing wash. And then head over to the Rearing Stallion for a meal and then head home. The day had a rough start, but only things would get better if one takes the right path.

Al'Mandrikan

Last edited by Ferrin Al'Mandrikan on August 1st, 2016, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sig :

Ferrin Al'Mandrikan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Dove Brown on July 31st, 2016, 11:02 pm

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request. If you have any questions, comments or concerns regarding your grade, please do not hesitate to send me a PM.

Ferrin
Skills
  • Weapon: Shield 3
  • Politics 1
  • Endurance 1
  • Weapon: Short Broadsword 1
Lores
  • Politics: the polite way to address a knight-mentor
  • How to carry a shield
  • The advantages and disadvantages of a shield
Miscellaneous
  • Shield points | +1 shield point (patron)

Comments: Thanks for changing it. Enjoy your grades.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)