Flashback [Proving Grounds] To Train a Dragoon

Alistair has a one on one lesson with Iztel.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

[Proving Grounds] To Train a Dragoon

Postby Alistair Vaetryn on April 1st, 2016, 4:20 pm

10th Bell. 14th, Summer, 514 AV
“Put some strength into it!” Iztel watched the Guardian practice his swordplay, unimpressed. Alistair could feel his arms start flopping with fatigue. His swings grew lower with each repetition. He was panting heavily, and large heavy beads of sweat flung off his arm with each slash, thrust and parry. How much more before my arm falls off? Alistair could only wonder.

“What? Tired? I was doing more when I was but ten! Lift those damn arms up! Slash! Thrust! Swing! Again! Again! Again!” Training Marshal Iztel had been shouting at him ever since the lesson began early in the morning, much to Alistair’s chagrin. He swung the heavy solid metal pole with what little power he had left in his arms. His forearm screamed, his fingers felt as if they were falling off, and his legs were beginning to wobble from the constant movement, yet he continued, or at least he tried. The rod grew lower in height with every consecutive swing, strength escaping from his limbs.

Alistair was almost drawing arcs in the dirt when the Marshal finally stopped him. “I’ve seen enough.” Iztel snapped. “Has my sister been too soft on you, Vaetryn? Is this all you can manage?” She eyed him with borderline disgust. A sadist, to be sure. Alistair was too busy catching his breath to scowl at her. “Drop the pole. Take your weapon, show me the sword stances you've been taught. First four.” Iztel commanded, circling around him as a predator would its prey. Alistair was only too happy to oblige. He picked up his sword, almost too light after he held the pole for so long. “First four, get on with it!”

Alistair positioned himself into the first stance. Left leg forward, sword held low at his right. This is the most natural stance after unsheathing a weapon, and the foundation for all the complexity of swordplay. It looked deceptively simple.

“This is the stance where the fight begins. It is simple, elegant, yet treacherous. A thousand different ways a sword can kill, and it all begins with one.” Eleuia’s teachings echoed in his mind. Iztel smacked her stick into Alistair’s right calf. He winced slightly, but his legs did not move.

“Good. Stable. Stability is key in the first stance.” Iztel circled around him in nonchalant steps. “Do not move, do not blink, do not let your movements betray your intentions. The first to see through his opponent is the one that holds the advantage. Next!”

Alistair shifted into the second stance, pulling his sword up above his shoulder, the sword level with the tip facing front. He arched his back, shifted his weight onto his hind leg, bending slightly at the right knee. Iztel circled past, observing. Alistair’s arm was teetering ever so slightly. Iztel whacked against his leg again, this time he shook. “Balance! Stability Alistair! How are you to fight with wobbling legs? Stand!” She whacked at it again. Alistair cursed under his breath, but this time he did not wobble.“Ugh…Passable.” Iztel leered at him. “Next!”

Alistair shifted his step again into the third stance. Sword in the middle, arms held straight, chin down, back tight. The third stance focused on defense, with the sword centered in the middle to allow for quick and easy parrying and ripostes. Iztel hit her stick into the broad of the blade, nearly knocking the sword out of his hand. Alistair fumbled, grabbed onto it. He gripped as hard as he could, but with the fatigue of the training of the metal pole earlier his fingers were limp and soft. Iztel spat on the ground in front of him.

“Almost being unarmed from a stick? And you call yourself a soldier?” She hissed.
Alistair could feel his fists clench on the hilt, his teeth ratting from the rage. Bitch. He cursed in his mind. My time will come.

“Curse me Alistair, curse me all you want." Iztel saw through him as if he were made of glass. "A soldier without a weapon is no soldier, he is but a man waiting to be killed, slaughtered, tortured, toyed with.”

“Iztel-“ Eleuia frowned.

“Silence! I will not have one my men disarmed in battle! This is utterly unacceptable!”
She hit Alistair’s hands. “Grip it!” He tightened his palms. “Grip it with your life!” She hit his hands again. Alistair tightened his grip. He could hear the sound of his teeth crunching from the anger. One day I’ll be better than you ever will be. And when that day comes… He thought of at least twelve ways he would humiliate the Marshal. My time will come. He told himself. It helped him through the rest of the beating.

“You are to never drop your weapon in battle. NEVER. Is that understood?” Iztel glared at him, staring him straight in the eye.
“Yes Marshal!” Alistair yelled at the top of his lungs. Were his voice any lighter she would have asked him to repeat.
“Good. Next stance!”

Alistair raised his sword again into the fourth stance, sword raised overhead. He stood still with the most amount of effort possible, kept his arms tense, and gripped onto his weapon for dear life. To be honest Alistair had no idea what the purpose of this form was, but he did the motion well enough. Iztel took a step back and observed. She clicked her tongue, grunted a meaningless grunt, spoke. “You miss the essence of this stance. Nevermind, you’ll get there eventually. At ease!” Alistair breathed a sigh of relief. He still felt a burning sensation inside. I’ll have my revenge, one day.

Iztel talked to her sister while Alistair slumped on the ground for a rest. His body ached, most of all his arms, not to mention the beating on his hands. They’re swelling. Soon his fingers would become red, swollen sausages. Alisatiar could only give a bitter laugh at the thought.
Last edited by Alistair Vaetryn on April 2nd, 2016, 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alistair Vaetryn
Dragoons Guardian

Words: 31656
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2016, 4:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Alistair Vaetryn on April 2nd, 2016, 7:32 am

11th Bell. 14th, Summer, 514AV
“Now, Alistair. You’ll be going on a little run.” Iztel informed him, almost smiling. Iztel wearing a smile was an omen, not a blessing. “Up the Nightfall Tower, then the top of the Northwest Gate, then back here. You will call for my attention when you have finished.
“We…” She glanced over at her sister Eleuia, “…will be having a little spar. You will be back before the victor has been decided.”
“And if I am too slow?”
“Pray that you aren’t.” Iztel hissed.
“Pray indeed.” Eleuia almost laughed.

Alistair knew better than to simply pray. He got up immediately and ran toward the Nightfall Tower. He climbed two hundred and ninety three steps of winding stairs before he reached the walls, at which point he could hardly lift his legs. His calfs screamed for rest, but Alistair urged his body on. The walls surrounding the Sun’s Refuge overlooked the Sun’s Birth’s territory. He saw the masses of trainees practicing their arts in the Proving Grounds, with Iztel and Eleuia sparring right in the center. The two flashed their blades at each other, twisting and twirling, spinning as sparks flew from their weapons. Alistair could barely make out what was happening. There they were, the Masters-at-Arms of the Dragoons putting on a spectacular show; and there he was, Alistair Vaetryn, the Guardian hardly anyone knew panting pathetically while dragging his legs into a run. One day. Alistair told himself again. One day I’ll be there, and everyone will be watching me.

He could barely feel his legs anymore by the time he passed the Gold Lodge. A group of couples had just exited the rowdy tavern, all laughter and smiles. The guys saw Alistair pitifully dragging himself across the top of the wall and they laughed harder. The girls beside them joined in with giggles. Alistair felt a burning on his cheeks. I’ll show them one day. I’ll show everyone. He held his head up high, making himself look as dignified as he could. It probably made him look worse since the laughter only grew louder. Alistair thought of a dozen ways to humiliate them in the future by the time they were out of sight.

Alistair stopped when he reached the barracks. His legs felt like they belonged to someone else, and his throat tasted of raw blood. He tried to breathe, hunched over with his arms on his knees. Heavy beads of sweat dripped into the dirt below him. A few of the other men walked past, amused by the wreck that was Alistair. Just a bit more to go. Come on. He gulped down a ladle of water from the water tank and moved on.

The distance from the barracks to the Proving Grounds was only a few chimes walk, the run was even shorter. Alistair however found it to be the longest torture he had ever experienced. There was a pain in his lungs whenever he breathed, and he almost fell a few times since his legs no longer seemed to obey. The two sisters grew in sight after another hundred or so steps, and Alistair collapsed onto the ground near them.

“You’re a lucky student Alistair. It seems my dear sister is putting up quite the defense today.” Iztel scowled, her eyes focused on her opponent.”
“Nothing of the sort.” Eleuia grinned.
“The two of you take your time, there’s no hurry.” Alistair huffed between breaths. He felt he would die soon. Maybe dying from running too hard wouldn’t be so bad. After all, there were worse ways to go. Iztel might even be impressed.

Eleuia subtly shifted an inch forward. Iztel dug her heel into the ground. Without warning Eleuia flicked her wrist and dashed with a flourish of her longsword. Alistair could barely make out her movements even at so close a distance. Iztel parried overhead, lowered herself and struck out with her fist. Eleuia dodged, countered. The rest all happened too fast, by the time Alistair caught on the two had ended with daggers at each other’s throats, both grinning.

“Another draw?” Eleuia laughed.
“Another draw.” Iztel groaned, though obviously smiling.
They sheathed their weapons and laughed. Alistair wondered if he should join in but thought better of it. He was still dying to catch his breath, and could hardly stand.

Iztel turned towards him, the stern frown returned to her face. “Now, practice what I’ve taught you at the beginning. Drill the movements into your body. Practice until it becomes the most natural thing you think of. Onto the dummy!”

Alistair grunted and grabbed his sword and moved toward the dummy.
Iztel gave the commands“Twist, step, upslash! Good, again! Again! Get a grip on your sword dammit! Again! Thrust! Thrust! Pirouette, slash! No you clumsy fool! Pirouette, not spin your entire torso. I could find Yukmen that pirouette better than you! Again!”
Alistair was too tired to be angered from the abuse. He performed the movements with as much vigor he had left, but evidently there was little left in him. He slashed, spun, thrust and hacked into the wooden training dummy. He found it was easier to hit harder after he imagined the lifeless dummy as Iztel, and so he pictured himself hacking Iztel for the remainder of the session. Seems I still have some fight left in me. He laughed bitterly.

“Good, you’ve still strength! Come, I shall test you!” Iztel picked up her sword and stood in stance facing Alistair “En Garde!”

Alistair could only groan. He didn’t want any more of this.

“Come, attack me! Or are you too scared?” Iztel mocked with an upwards curl in her lips.
“Scared? You misjudge me!” Alistair roared as he advanced with a downwards swing. His legs had become blocks of lead somewhere down the line, dragging him down. Even so he stepped and advanced, thrusting and slashing.

“Aggressive! Good! Aggressiveness is key!” Iztel danced with her sword, parrying all of his attacks. “Yet blind aggressiveness leaves you open! Parry!” She performed a riposte, whacking away Alistair’s blade and spinning back into a slash of her own. He desperately pulled his weapon back in an arc, swinging it just it time to direct the Marshal’s blade away.

“Technique Alistair! Brute force and reflexes will only take you so far. Again!” She repeated her attack. This time Alistair remembered what he was taught and, with a twist in his hip, swung his body around to make the parry. With a sharp clang of metal Iztel’s sword was knocked far to her side, with Alistair in a position to counter
“Good! Now attack, while your opponent recovers…”

Alistair did just that. He stepped in and slashed with a turn of his shoulders. Iztel spun and caught the blade with her guard.
“You’re catching on! Again! …”

It was another bell before his training finally finished. The high noon sun shone overhead. Alistair felt the rays of the sun on his skin, scorching hot.
“Practice, Alistair, train yourself. You’ve talent many never had, don’t let it go to waste.” Iztel told him before she left to her other duties.

And so Alistair practiced by himself. That was the first nice thing Alistair heard Iztel say all day.
Alistair Vaetryn
Dragoons Guardian

Words: 31656
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2016, 4:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Konrad Venger on April 3rd, 2016, 7:21 am

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Alistair

XP:
Endurance - 2
Observation - 3
Running - 2
Bastard Sword - 2

Lore:
Itzel: A Sadist, To Be Sure
Bastard Sword: Basic Stance and Stability
Bastard Sword: Pirouette Slash
Following Orders, Ignore the Pain

Click Me! :
Okay, first of all, you can get a total of 5XP in any one skill per Solo thread, AS LONG as you have at least five posts in that thread. You wouldn't have got five in all of the ones above for this much writing, but you could have easily chopped this up further into three posts and got a little more. I even gave you a little more in Observation because you WERE paying attention, lol.

Aside from that, I loved this. You captured Itzel's grueling style BRILLIANTLY, as well as Alistair's numbing exhaustion. What you learned was well-structured, too, and you didn't ask more than what you earned. Good job.

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4