Ride With Me (Vanator)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Khiara on December 22nd, 2010, 10:32 pm

13th Day of Winter, Mid Afternoon

It was a crisp, sunny afternoon in Endrykas. As cold as the air was, the sun managed to still lend a warmth that could be almost biting if one stood in it for too long. Thick heavy clouds sat on the horizon, bringing the possibility of snow, of which Khiara was almost giddy with excitement. It was such a beautiful day, so much like home, that she had convinced Vanator to ride with her. The drykas man didn't know how to use her northern styled saddle and bridle, and in a spur of spontaneity, the vantha suggested that he ride double with her on the frostmarch. Bareback, as it were. And so they had visited the coral to find an equally eager Vsenri waiting for them, ears pricked and neighing in delight.

Nestled on the large white horse, dressed in her favorite grey belted dress, warm parka and boots, the duo rode at a walking pace away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Khiara trusted in Vanator's directions as he guided the vantha in where to lead the frostmarch. But there was something she didn't think of when riding double. It was hard to ignore the gentle rocking as Vsenri walked, Vanator pressed closely against her, bumping lightly with each step. Since their wedding night, Khiara had learned a good many things, and delighted in the teaching. Memories rose unbidden to her mind, and the vantha smiled to herself, eyes a soft shade of lavender. In an attempt to steer her thoughts away from there, the young woman talked.

"It could snow today." She said casually, looking over at the clouds on the horizon again. They weren't ominous to her, just...full.

"Vsenri would like that, wouldn't you?" Leaning forward slightly, she scratched the stallions ear and spoke a few words softly in vani. Vsenri nickered in reply.

Last edited by Khiara on February 4th, 2011, 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Khiara
Player

Words: 166009
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Vanator on December 23rd, 2010, 6:09 pm

Vanator had hesitated when Khiara suggested they take Vsenri for a ride together. The horseman was raised in a yvas, a device the Frostmarch had not been trained to wear. Neither did the Drykas know how to use the northerner's saddle and bridle. The idea of riding into the grass double bareback smacked of carelessness, for a horse, especially Striders, were the first way of escape from danger. Vsenri had proven to be rather fast mount over short distance. The first day he had met Khiara the poor overheated horse had managed to maintain a good speed as they fled a group of glassbeak crossing a river. But with out yvas or saddle, holding on to a galloping horse would prove challenging.

However, Khiara employed softly spoken words in her musical native tongue, her sure thing when she wanted something from him. So the husband agreed, as long as they did not stray far from Endrykas. He did bring his ax, strapped to his back, and two of the pavilion's Luvanor Grassland Hunters trailed along. The dogs, as well as the Frostmarch, seemed to be invigorated by the crisp chilled air and bright sunlight, the animals prancing and anxious as they passed though the Knotted Gates.

Vsenri was a broad-chested stallion, and even after his tragic accident outside Riverfall, he was strong and well able to bear the weight of the couple. Vanator sat behind Khiara on the animal's back, nestled comfortably against her, clad in his long-sleeved tunic, wool pants, his winter cloak wrapped around him. Van's arms rested casually on her thighs, the man peering ahead over her shoulder, his head close to hers.

"Yes, we good get a good coating of snow by the looks of those."
His eyes scanned the gathering clouds in the distance. Winter had seemed to bring a refreshment to Khiara's soul. He had worried that the Fall had overwhelmed her. The wedding, getting used to married life and living in a pavilion, then the return of Dhanya. It had worn on her spirit, he knew. But when the air turned cold and the days grew shorter, the Vanthan girl seemed to revive, as if the winter wind brought something soothing from Avanthal just for her. As cold as Vanator felt, it brought him joy knowing that the pending snowstorm brought Khiara joy.

In the distance Vanator spotted a small gnarled tree, bereft of its leaves, now long lost to the grassland winds. He raised his hand and pointed towards it, slightly off to the left. "Lets head that direction love." He spoke into her ear, inhaling the scent of her dark hair, streaked with strands of gold and violet highlighted in the sun.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Khiara on December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 pm

Delighted by Vanator's confirmation, Khiara smiled once more at the clouds, before turning her attention to the ground before them. Either side of the frostmarch, the dogs trotted sniffing the ground occasionally and tongues hanging from their mouths. They had the luvanor's in Avanthal as well, mostly used for hunting and often a lot paler in color. Khiara felt safe with the dogs, and Vsenri didn't care in the slightest. He knew dogs, and knew they meant protection.

Leaning against Vanator as they rode, Khiara sighed. Her heart had indeed been renewed by the change of the season, bringing forth the woman she had once been. All the grief and heartache of the other months seemed like some far off nightmare, never to return. The young woman didn't want to think of spring, still ages away. It was a dark month for her, one which she had experienced grief and pain. But now she had Vanator, she had love. A family. Maybe this spring, she would be alright. Feh, spring....breathing deeply, Khiara welcomed the smell of snow. There would be howling winds and biting cold, all good for huddling close together in the pavilions over warm fires and heated wine. Stories for the children and laughter for the adults...and of course...the comfort in the night, when it was coldest....

Pulled out of her daydream by the warm voice in her ear, Khiara looked toward the tree Vanator pointed out. It was nothing but sticks in the winter season, but underneath all that deathly appearance, the vantha knew that life waited to burst forth. Guiding Vsenri with her knees, the group headed towards the small tree. Vanator's breath in her ear and the sound of his breathing brought the vantha's mind back to her earlier thoughts, and she scolded herself mentally. Had she really become so gutter-minded? A small smile rose to her mouth again as they moved. Maybe not, but she had always been affected by the man.

As they approached the tree, Khiara watched the horse for signs of danger, her senses attuned to Vsenri. If he showed fear or concern, the young woman trusted him to flee. But there was no tension in his muscles and his ears flicked lazily. Slowing to a stop beside the small foliage, the frostmarch nickered and lowered his head to pick at the last of the grass tips.

Last edited by Khiara on January 14th, 2011, 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Vanator on January 4th, 2011, 7:18 pm

The large white stallion meandered at a leisurely pace, seeming to sense the peace felt by his riders. As Khiara settled back against his chest, Vanator slipped his hands around her waist to pull her closer. The Drykas leaned forward to bury his face in her hair, inhaling a draft of cold air scented with the herbs and ointments she used to cleanse her dark locks. He smiled as they rode towards the tree in silence, content to simply be away with her from the busyness of the pavilion. They had been scooted off by Kashik, suggesting that the two of them spend some time alone. Vanator's lovely first wife was most likely annoyed by the doting of her husband, affectionate and intent on making sure she did not do anything strenuous. Kash was showing, her smooth abdomen beginning to swell with their first child. Vanator's concern for her was unnecessary, the dark-skinned woman protested graciously, insisting she was Drykas and would be able to kill a olidosapux up until her birthing pangs began. She probably could, Van had pondered, and still look gorgeous.

So this moment was for Khiara. The Drykas scanned the surroundings, knowing the keen senses of the dogs would detect any danger long before he could. He shifted forward until he could make as much contact with the Vanthan as he could. She seemed immune to the cold, but as the bitter wind picked up, the horseman wanted to get as much warmth from her as he could. Van too delighted in having her so close, and Khiara was not the only one whose mind wandered to warmer, more intimate thoughts. Khiara had learned to overcome much of her shyness over the past season, no longer hesisant to lay with him in the pavilion, even with Kashik in the pile of furs with them, though he found private venues as well, where the Vanthan could feel less inhibited. On occasion, the quiet northerner would surprise him with her creativity and passion.

As Vsenri eased to a stop beside the bare, gnarled tree, Van barked a command, and the dogs set to sniffing out the ground around them, moving in a rough circle around the tree, horse and riders, before setting their wet noses to sniff the air. Khiara and Vanator rocked slightly as the stallion shifted the weight on his back legs, now contently tugging at tufts of prairie grass. The hounds returned, tails wagging and looking up at the humans with anticipation. Vanator gave Khiara a gentle squeeze, leaning from behind to set a kiss to her neck. He then slid from the tall horse to the hard ground with a thud of his boots, turning and holding out his arms to help Khiara dismount. Keeping hold of her hand, Van took a few steps towards the tree and snapped off a short branch, handing it to his wife. Breaking one of for himself, he lead Khiara a short distance away. The dogs, Avas and Ruhl, pranced beside them, already aware of what would happen next. Van stopped, releasing Khiara's hand. Glancing at Avas, Vanator raised the stick in his hand and flung it away. Avas took off immediately, racing through the grass after the makeshift toy. Looking at the other anxious Luvanor then to Khiara, he chuckled. "You better throw that, or Ruhl is going to knock you down to get it!"

Avas returned in short order, the branch between her teeth. Van reached down to rub the hound's head before tossing the stick again into the grass. His gaze lingered on the horizon. The horseman's mind wandered to Backlash, how the Strider would devour leagues of grassland beneath her hooves with him on her back. He thought of their last moments, how it seemed as he looked into the mare's eyes, that he was looking into Tamar's, knowing her spirit dwelt in the faithful animal. His grin faded, and he glanced at Khiara, one of two beautiful wives, and felt a pang of guilt for lingering on what was behind him. He mustered a smile for her, not wanting to dampen the joy of their stolen moment.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Khiara on January 14th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Khiara smiled as she allowed Vanator to let her down, looking into his warm rich gaze as he lowered her. She loved his eyes. They held compassion, strength, love, friendship...and they were drykas. It admittedly helped when your eye color could pinpoint your mood, but it could sometimes make you forget just how expressive eyes could be. Walking hand in hand, she held the offered stick curiously before her, vision flicking up to watch Vanator's own fly out across the grass with Avas hot on its tail. She smiled with delight before turning a shocked gaze on Vanator as he spoke, then on the hound waiting impatiently before her.

"Oh? Oh! Right!" Quickly, she tossed the stick away, and with abandon Ruhl Dashed after it. Whilst he returned as readily as Avas, the hound didn't bring it back to her. Shaking the stick and growling to himself, the large dog plopped down into the grass and set to destroying the piece of wood with his powerful jaws. Khiara laughed a little, looking back at Vanator. She caught the look in his eyes, and the forced smile. Reaching out, she touched his shoulder.

"Are you alright?" She asked softly, concerned for him. Loosing Backlash was heartbreaking, and Khiara knew heartbreak all to well. Vanator hadn't talked about it, not yet. But the young wife knew sometime soon, he had to, otherwise it would eat him alive.

"Come, sit with me." The vantha said, taking his hand again and leading him to sit under the twisted tree. The cool winter breeze was less able to reach them in the swaying grass, and Khiara knew that the cold affected him more that it did herself.

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Vanator on January 18th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Once Khiara understood, much to the hounds delight, Van watched her toss the stick. She could not get the distance her husband had, and Ruhl was out and back on a flash. The dog seemed more content to rend the wood apart than to continue the repetition of fetch. His eyes lifted to meet Khiara's, the hue of her irises shifting slightly as she perceived his moment of melancholy. In an instant he knew his wife had seen his sorrow. He had hoped the moment would pass, Vanator did not want to bring down the mood of their time together. But as Khiara rested her small hand on his shoulder, and her soft lilting voice asked after him, he knew he could not keep it from her.

He gratefully allowed the Vanthan to take his hand and lead him towards the tree. Van lowered himself to sit with Khiara, their backs resting against the trunk. He drew his cloak around him, leaning close against his wife. "I was ....just thinking of Backlash." He spoke quietly, his gaze fixed on the horizon, as if he waited for the Strider to appear. "I miss her."

The horseman turned to look at Khiara. She was beautiful, and he still found it amazing that they were together. The chilled breeze tugged at her dark brown hair, the violet and gold streaks echoing her mood-driven colorful eyes. She was distinctly non-Drykas in her appearance, but Vanator found that to be one of the things he loved about her. As he gazed at her now, he could see her concern for him. Khiara knew that he was closely bonded to the Strider before she was killed on a hunt, but he had never told her the details, or why the bond was so intense. It just never seemed the right time.

Not since before he had wed Kashik had Vanator been beset by such a sullen mood, when he would think of Tamar. But recently the Drykas had sought secluded moments to mourn for the loss of Backlash. The loss of two precious soul's in one. He took his wife's hand in his again and gave it a slight squeeze. "I will be fine, my love." His voice sounded confident, but Van had to turn his eyes from Khiara as he spoke, for his heart was not yet convinced.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Khiara on January 19th, 2011, 12:19 pm

As they settled against the tree trunk, Khiara listed to her husband, welcoming his closeness. She could hear his loss in his voice, and saw him turn away. It reminded her of Vsenri, of how lost she had been. Looking out over the horizon, the vantha sighed.

"She was a beautiful creature and a loving companion, even Vsenri has been listless without her. There are some beings in this world, who can touch us so deeply that it feel a part of out very lifeforce is dragged away when they are gone. I know you miss her love, and my heart aches for you." Moving to sit up, the brunette faced him properly, touching his cheek with a cool hand.

"I love you, Vanator, and I am here for you. Even if you just want to talk. I know its hard but if you just let it build up, the grief will eat you alive. Goddess, I know it will." Staring at him with serious swirling eyes, she held his face in her hands. How unfair, to be in this place once again. Letting go she rested back on her hands, looking at him with a small smile all of a sudden, feeling pleased she could talk to him so freely. Even amist the somber thoughts, Khiara couldn't help but delight in looking at him. How did they end up here? Goddess be thanked.

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Vanator on January 27th, 2011, 7:16 pm

Khiara's sweetly spoken words, the musical lilt of her accent was like a balm on a burn. He looked into her swirling gaze as her hand pressed against his face, his head turning to press his lips against the palm of her hand. "I love you too Khiara," the words whispered against her cool skin. She knew his heart. Kashik knew his soul intimately, in ways that only another Drykas could, but Khiara knew the depths of his emotions, so many she too had known. Vanator watched as she leaned back. It was still strange sometimes to see her so comfortable around him after once being so shy and reserved in his presence.

A small smile flashed back at his wife. "I know, I know it is not good to hold too closely to that pain." Vanator's eyes darted the dogs, relaxed but diligently watchful. "The pain is deep, more so than when I lost the Strider before her. Backlash was a close friend and companion. But she was more than just a Strider Khi, she was....special."

Vanator had told no one what he had learned about Backlash the night before he wed Khiara. His eyes searched deep into Khiara's, the rich colors still melted his heart. His hands reached out to rest on her knees, leaning in slightly towards the Vanthan. She should know, Kashik should know too.

"Khi, Tamar's soul lived in Backlash." The horseman's voice was hushed and thick with emotion, the remembered pain rising in his eyes, the pain of having lost the same woman twice. Vanator and Kashik had instructed Khiara on the nature of the Striders, their connection to the Web, and the phenomenon of deceased Drykas occasionally residing in a newly born foal. Van studied his wife as his words sunk in, unsure of how she would respond.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Khiara on January 31st, 2011, 7:54 pm

Khiara looked at him as he spoke, sympathy in her eyes as he spoke of Backlash being special. His tone, his expression...all suddenly so serious and clouded as he struggled to open up to a pain he'd held onto for weeks. As he placed a hand on her knee, a chill breeze tugged at loose strands of hair, sweeping them across her face and framing her drawn eyebrows. Her iris' swirled as he gathered his words, finally revealong the depth of his loss.

Sitting up, Khiara felt a deep sense of grief in empathy for her husband. If she had found Eliac again, only to loose him it would tear her world apart. Tears in her golden eyes, Khiara shifted onto her knees, moving to kiss Vanator on the cheek as she pulled him into a loving embrace.

"Oh Vanator, no. I am so sorry love, truely. I never knew...Oh Goddess. I'm sorry." The brunette said softly beside his ear, holding him as though the nearness would make the hurt dissapear. Pulling back, she looked down at his face and his deeply expressive eyes, shaking her head gently.

"I don't know why the Goddess would send Tamar home just to take her away again. Perhaps a soul cannot be permenantly bound to this place, maybe a Strider is a temporary home, a way to let loved ones see each other again? I know your Web is mysterious and strange to me...but perhaps in someway Tamar saw you needed her, and returned to see you safe." Pushing one of his golden braids away from his face, the young woman frowned.

"Eliac came to me, before we wed in a dream, and told me I had to move on. I've always held him in my heart and always in my mind. His face haunted my dreams and his voice called to me beyond my reach. But since that night, I hear him no more. Still, he exists in my heart and forever will, but now he knows I am safe, he has let me go free, and I have done the same for him. Perhaps Tamar saw you had found love again, and knew it was time to go." Pausing for a moment, she leaned down and kissed his forehead, a caring gesture. Tilting his head gently, the vantha kissed his lips, and again, before hesitating. Her last touch spoke of love, and a questioning sort of moment. She wanted to comfort him, let him ease his grief...but she didn't want to intrude on his feelings. Her hesitation gave him a moment to respond.

Khiara
Player

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Ride With Me (Vanator)

Postby Vanator on February 4th, 2011, 6:15 pm

If there was one thing Khiara understood, it was the pain of loss. It was what first brought them together that first day of Spring behind the tavern. They had both suffered the loss of someone they dearly loved, someone they had hoped to spend their lives with. Vanator understood that his young wife knew intimately what made his heart ache, it was reflected in her eyes, swirling to a golden hue, wet with welling tears. Khiara possessed a deep empathy, and she could know the condition of her husband's heart with a glance, as if she felt it heself. As her arms pulled him close, Van leaned against Khiara. Only with her did he show vulnerability, she could feel his sadness. Vanator found great comfort in the Vanthan's softly spoken words, and in her warm embrace.

When Khiara pulled away, Van's gaze fixed on hers and he listened, her lilting voice easing his distress. Maybe she was right, maybe the gods did send those we lose back to console the souls of the living. The Striders themselves were gifts from Semele, to help her beloved Drykas. Even then, Backlash was more than just a faithful mount, she was a friend who watched over him. Vanator regretted not seeing Tamar in the Strider years ago, even felt guilty that he did not realize it until near the end. To think of Tamar, always there, protecting him, carrying him away from danger, even teasing him, gave him a crushing feeling in his chest. He only hoped she knew that he loved her.

The soft touch of Khiara's lips on his forehead and the warmth of her breath drew him back to the moment. Tamar was gone, but he was not alone. The gods blessed him with Kashik, and Khiara. Vanator let his wife lift his head, gratefully accepting her kisses, rich with compassion.

"Khi," his his hands raised to hold her face gently between his palms, "I believe you are probably right. Once I had found you and Kashik, she knew I would be taken care of." Dark, gold-specked eyes searched the Vanthan's fluid golden gaze. Vanator was not looking for anything in particular, simply feeding on the affection and understanding revealed in their soft depths. He too saw her hesitation, as if she needed permission to comfort her own husband. Vanator sat up straight, taking Khiara's hands in his and leaning in to press a kiss against her lips. His hands slipped from hers, wrapping around her waist as his kiss lingered.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next