Chemistry Interest?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Planter on May 4th, 2016, 12:25 am

Browsing through the Skills List and I see that it is quite lacking in the Science department. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing a chemistry skill put there?
'Eww, why? ', you may ask.

Because it needs to be done!

FOR SCIENCE! Not everything unknown can be hoarded by those pecky magic users! Let the mundanes take a crack at it!

In all seriousness though, Chemistry is one of the backbones of the basic skills that are being used in most trade craft skills, if not in general. If anyone would be interested in seeing this skill, let me know.
Planter~ Radiant Pycon Wandererhttp://www.mizahar.com/forums/topic64871.html
Planter
Modern Day Johnny Appleseed

Words: 17493
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2016, 3:07 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Shimoje on May 4th, 2016, 1:03 am

There are a few of other distinct options that could be related. Among them are philteringandintelligence. I believe mainly that the aspects of Chemistry has largely been ignored because for a PC to engage in such an activity they would have to reinvent combinations of the aspects of Djed, and the worldly composition of matter within Mizahar.

Reinventing a fantasy world with chemistry is a very daunting task. If you think you might be able to help you can form an outline to suggest the skill.

Furthermore, how would a PC engage in discovering these aspects. As far I know the first periodic tables were discovered largely by naming relevant and known metals. After that gases were discovered and explored.

Lucky for you Mizahar houses relative real life metals to start this. As far as compounds are concerned it might be hard for a chemist/scientist to discover such things - though not impossible if aided by technological breakthroughs.
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

Imagetest test testtest testtestesteste testtettttttt Image

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Words: 301120
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2016, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Planter on May 4th, 2016, 1:20 am

Basics of chemistry are used in everyday household items and activities in Mizahar. The lighting of a fire, the making of candles, refinement of metal ores. This is just a very short list of how chemistry affected these basics processes. What if a blacksmith learned how to extract certain alloys from his metal, or applied certain elements to them? Well, A.) He'd have one of the top quality blacksmitheries around B.) He'd made a killing selling said items on the market, since no one else is doing it.

The Intelligence skill is just another way of saying 'Information Gathering', which is only a shot glass in a much larger bucket of Intelligence.
Philtering is the action for extracting certain essences of different materials. But Chemistry is the study of 'Why' it works. Besides, it's like being put into a pitcher position, without knowing how to throw the ball.

An outline is what you require, than an outline you shall have. :)

*I realized I didn't complete any of my thoughts, sorry for that.
Planter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Shimoje on May 4th, 2016, 1:26 am

Please keep in mind that we like original material. If you create such a lore, which I am very excited about by the way, it is preferred that you do not copy&paste things from another source. However, I do encourage research :D
Shortly after departure of the Tipsy Wench, a deeply held secret started to show itself as Shimoje's mental stability started to become more clear. His hand will bear the mark of Lykata and glow with a symbol of Lormar.

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Planter on May 4th, 2016, 2:15 am

*le gasp!*
Do you, sir, accuse mu'wah of the capability and motivation of plagiarizing?
Shame, shame. Of course I'll stay true to the Mizaharian lore.
I'm sure Harameus will appreciate not having some many people bothering him over alchemy related things, that was simply solved with SCIENCE!
Planter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Vellichor on May 4th, 2016, 2:37 am

Be careful with how advanced it gets.
I'm kind of wary about how such a thing as chemistry will overstep its bounds in realism.
This is a world after the cataclysm afterall.

Also, wouldn't how candles are made fall into the candlemaking skill?
I just feel it might heavily overlap with all the other skills.
We already have philtering, alchemy, cosmetics/perfumery.
I'm curious to see how this can be handled.
Vellichor
Promoting weapons of mass creation

Words: 25755
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2016, 3:09 am
Race: Staff account

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Planter on May 4th, 2016, 2:52 am

I see the cause of worry. Being that chemistry can lead to the discovery of gunpowder, explosives and in general, massive man-made catastrophes. In the same sense, the implementation of Gadgeteering had to be pretty iffy too. I'm focusing this Skill more on the 'Why' these things were made they were and allowing character's the ability to go a step further in being able to experiment in order to create new elements that doesn't always relay on Gods or magic.

Of course the prerequisites into the skill will curb new players from creating a 1,000 pound TNT bomb, or even being able to create explosives In general, since the elements have yet (or ever will) been/be discovered or identified.
Planter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Quip on May 4th, 2016, 3:20 am

Hey folks!

Just a heads up, philtering is Mizahar's version of chemistry. Everything you can do in chemistry you can do with philtering, creating a new skill dedicated to chemistry would splinter the skill and cause confusion and problems.

Philtering is based on medieval alchemy, not to be confused with the magic discipline, which was a precursor to modern chemistry. Since Mizahar is analagous to the medieval period, philtering is more suitable then a modern chemistry skill.

If you would like to alter the philtering skill write up, you will need founder approval.
Quip
There once was a man from Peru...

Words: 1120
Joined roleplay: April 20th, 2016, 3:31 am
Race: Staff account

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Planter on May 4th, 2016, 3:42 am

Annnd, that settles that.

Back to the drawing board.
Planter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Chemistry Interest?

Postby Shimoje on May 4th, 2016, 4:05 am

Active Compiled List of Skills Needing Development Don't be afraid to perhaps take a pick from these of skills that need development if interested!

test

test
Shimoje
Scientist

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes