Solo Swimming at Work

Saul takes an unexpected dip.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Swimming at Work

Postby Saul Sticks on May 31st, 2016, 12:35 am

Swimming at Work

67th of Spring, 516 AV

It was one of the nicest days so far this season, and Saul had been pleasantly surprised to see a familiar face waiting to greet him at the harbor. Malachi, a ship captain and his sister’s most loyal customer, had come into port the previous evening after Saul had departed. Whenever Malachi came into Syliras, he made sure to grab Saul for work on his ship, mostly because the sailor enjoyed intelligent conversation, something he didn’t tend to get from his crew or most of the other dockworkers. That and Saul made the effort to talk to Malachi in Fratava. It was something difficult for Saul, but he appreciated any chance to improve his vocabulary and his understanding of the finer points of the language.

“Saul, thank Laviku you’re here. These idiots are making a mess of my ship.”

“I thought you be gone longer than this.”

“Would be gone longer,” Malachi corrected him. “It don’t matter how long I’ve been gone. What matters is that these idiots are making a mess of my ship.”

“That is probably because you make a real mess of the last shipment.” Saul winced, because he knew he had already said something the wrong way. Verb conjugations were difficult for him. “They are just getting their revenge. Relax. They be done in a little while and get to work.”

“It’s ‘made’ and ‘will be done.’ I still don’t see why they’re trashing my boat.”

“So you do not remember what happened last time you were in port here?” Saul also struggled with his contractions.

“They’re still bitter about that?”

Saul nodded, leading the way over to a pulley system that had been set up on the Harbor docks to load and unload heavy items off ships. Grabbing one line, he gestured for Malachi to grab the line and help. “We need multiple people on each line.” He could see that the load that had been prepared was large.

“You serious?” Malachi looked at Saul, then the pulley system, and then the cargo. “Isn’t that your job?”

“It is,” Saul admitted. “But if you want them to respect you again, this is how you do it. Show them you are willing to put some work into it.”

Malachi grumbled but grasped on to the line behind Saul. Pulling the rope taut, Saul braced his legs against the sturdy woodwork of the dock. Gripping the rope as tightly as he could and holding it close to his body, Saul began to slowly step backward, leaning his bodyweight as far away from the load as he could without losing balance.

Malachi called up to the deck of the ship. “The pulley load is coming down. Someone guide it over the ship’s rails.”

There was no response from up top, and as Saul and Malachi lifted the cargo, they felt it swing sideways and smash into the rails.

“Someone get on top of that shit,” Saul shouted to the deck.

Since it wasn’t Malachi asking, there was a swarm of men who ran to help get the heavy cargo over the rail without causing any more damage. As Saul and Malachi continued to pull backward, the men drew the load away from the rail until it was high enough to clear it. With that, they slowly let it swing out from the side of the ship before they let it go.

The weight, even with the pulley system in place, would have been too much for Malachi and Saul to handle, but a few more dockworkers had picked up the other lines. Foot by foot, they let the line be pulled away as the load descended gently toward the docks. Once it was down, Saul looked about.

“Malachi, you seen Brat?”

“’Have you seen.’ And yes, she’s up playing on the mast.”

Shading his eyes from the morning sun, Saul looked up into the rigging. Brat was actually on the yard spar, balancing precariously while talking to a sailor who was working on the ropes that descended from the yard spar to the deck. He wasn’t comfortable with her being up there.

“Brat,” he called out to get her attention. “Get down from there.”

She looked down at him and waved him off. “Don’t worry, Saul. I’m being careful.”

In talking to him, she lost her focus and teetered momentarily. Saul’s stomach dropped as it seemed for a moment she would not recover her balance, but she did.

“See?” She gestured to herself as if she had just given the acrobatic performance of a lifetime. “I’m fine up here.”

He was about to say something, but Malachi caught his arm. “Let her be, Saul. She’s not bothering anyone.”

Saul wanted to punch Malachi in his teeth but resisted the urge. Instead, he called up to Brat, “Just be careful, alright?”

“I’m always careful, Saul.”
Saul Sticks
Patron Saint of Orphans, Whores, and Gamblers

Words: 68415
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2015, 2:57 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Swimming at Work

Postby Saul Sticks on June 18th, 2016, 2:25 pm

That was not what Saul wanted to hear, but he knew there was little he could do about it. Brat was Brat, and she would always do exactly as she pleased. Nothing Saul said ever seemed to stop her.

He kept an uncomfortable eye on her for several moments until Malachi motioned him to follow. There was still plenty of work to be done. There was a large collection of goods to be brought off the ship strewn across the deck, but there were very few dockworkers on The Albatross. They were all on other vessels, though there was little work to find on them. They were definitely making Malachi pay for the state of his last shipment, maybe a little more than he deserved.

Saul commented on his friend’s chipper appearance. “You look like you are keep away from the liquor.”

“Are keeping away.” Malachi nodded. “I have Brat to thank for that.”

“Brat?” He picked up a box and realized he could carry more. “Put another one on top here.”

“Malachi placed another crate on top of the one Saul had in his arms, decided it wasn’t enough, and placed on one more. “Yeah. She told me I could either spend my money on booze or beautiful women. I had a particular one I was after.”

The weight of the three boxes was more than Saul had counted on. He strained against them and tightened his grip on the bottom box to keep from losing his cargo. He made his way to the gangway and walked toward where Malachi directed him.

“I saw your sister last night.” Malachi liked nothing better than to tell of his nights with Sasha, unless it was the nights themselves.

“I expect nothing less from you.”

“Would expect,” Malachi corrected him.

Saul shrugged. He felt like that one could have gone either way, but he didn’t argue. He set the boxes in a cart that would take them to their final destination.

“I hardly slept a wink last night.”

Saul knew exactly where this was headed and cut it off early. “And if I hear about a single moment of it, I throwing you into the Suvan.”

“Am throwing. And what you really should have said is ‘am going to throw.’”

Saul stopped and glared at Malachi. “Do you really want to piss of the one person who’s on your side today?” Spotting a puddle on the deck, Saul nodded to it to make Malachi aware of its presence. “Watch your step.”

“What is it?”

“It smell like urine around here.”

“Somebody pissed on my ship?” Malachi didn’t even bother correcting Saul’s grammar mistake. “How angry are they?”

Saul shrugged as he stacked two boxes on top of each other and lifted with his legs. “Pissed.”

Malachi glared at Saul’s back as he stepped off the ship. “You’re a sarcastic son of a bitch.”

Saul smiled and called over his shoulder. “Yeah, but you still have to put up with me.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because if you don’t, I will kill you for touching my sister.”

Malachi was in a foul mood now and left Saul to his work. There was a lot of it. Saul took the boxes to the cart and stacked them with the others. Walking back on to the ship, Saul continued his work on this pile of boxes, and over a bell, it dwindled to nothing. Finding the next shipment, barrels filled with Gods-only-knew what, Saul tipped one on its side and hoisted it up to his waist. The familiar burning in his shoulders and arms began before he had even delivered the first barrel to the man who was to complete its delivery to its final destination.

Once back on the ship, he looked for Brat again. It was a habit of his to always check up on her from time to time throughout his day, if he knew she was at the harbor with him. She was still up on the yard spar, imitating the gulls flying overhead by spreading her arms outward and teetering back and forth on imaginary rises of warm air. Saul still wasn’t comfortable with her up there, but he didn’t say anything. Instead, he tipped another barrel, lifted it, and walked it back to the waiting cart driver.

He had to pause when delivering his third barrel, the weight of his previous loads having sapped his strength, and over the next three dozen of them, his reserves seemed to drain entirely. Wearily, Saul stumbled back up on to the deck of The Albatross.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, he remembered to check on Brat. He had not done so since early with his work moving the barrels. Casting his gaze upward, he found her exactly where she had been before, only this time she was farther out on the yard spar still imitating the birds. This time she acted as if she was being buffeted by little gusts of wind, ducking back and forth compensating with her outstretched wings.

Saul was about to shout up to her to tell her to get down when a real gust hit her. Her body moved with the gust, and like some expert seagull, she dipped her arms into the wind, throwing her weight against it. She was agile, but she overcompensated. She teetered too far the other way.

That sickening feeling returned to Saul’s gut. He knew she wouldn’t recover this time. Any weariness he had felt before left his body, and he was already sprinting toward the edge of the ship when she fell. At least she managed to tuck her arms in and hit the water feet first. From that height, hitting the water flat would be like hitting solid rock.

Saul didn’t know if Brat could swim. He had never asked. One thing was certain, he wasn’t waiting to find out. He leapt over the side of the ship, making sure to jump far from where Brat hit. One thing he knew would do neither of them any favors would be landing on her.

Taking a deep breath midair, he hit the water the same as she had, arms tucked into his side and feet first, cutting deep into the harbor water. The dull roil of the churning water was the only thing around him now. That, and cold water. Saul hated the sea. Not only was it cold, it also felt foreign to him. He never knew what direction was up. Gravity seemed to largely lose its effects. Still, he knew what direction he had entered the water in, so he kicked his legs powerfully back and forth, driving his body toward what he hoped was up. His heavily muscled frame did him no favors in the water. It wanted to sink, but the work his legs were doing managed to push him to the surface.
Saul Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Donor (1)

Swimming at Work

Postby Saul Sticks on July 1st, 2016, 12:30 am

As soon as his head broke into the air, he took a deep breath and looked toward where Brat had fallen. She hadn’t come back up. There was a panic driving his body, and he struck out powerfully but clumsily toward where he had last seen her. His body wasn’t built for swimming, and he made slow progress. He doubted he could make it to her in time. Another figure dove into the water head first mere yards from where Brat had gone in.

Another figure dove into the water head first mere yards from where Brat had gone in. The other swimmer barely made a splash as they entered the water. He was likely a sailor and much more comfortable and adept in the water than Saul, but Saul still struck out toward Brat. One thing that he wouldn’t count on was someone else to save Brat. It felt to him like minutes as he paddled slowly in her direction, striking out with his face buried in the sea until he needed to breathe. Then he would stop, bring his head up, take a chest full of air, and start forward again.

The reality was it was less than half a chime, a couple breaths, before the sailor surfaced with Brat. It was Malachi who had come to her aid. He used one arm to hold Brat’s limp body to him while the other backstroked toward the ship. Saul swam to meet the man at the side of the ship. As he approached, two lines of rope dropped over the side of the ship, splashing into the water in front of him.

The effort of carrying a body was taking its toll on Malachi by the time he made it to the ship. “Take her, Saul.”

Saul kicked in place to keep himself above the water’s surface and took Brat from Malachi’s arms. She wasn’t that big. In fact, she was scrawny and small for her age, but any weight as dead weight felt like more than it was. Fortunately, water buoyed some of that weight.

“Grab a hold of the rope,” Malachi instructed. “The boys’ll haul you up. I’ll meet you up top.”

Malachi grabbed a hold of one rope and began to climb up toward the deck. Following suit, Saul grabbed a hold of the other rope, but with Brat occupying the one arm, he couldn’t pull himself up. There was no need to though. As soon as he called up to those on deck that he had a hold of the rope, they pulled so powerfully that the rope was nearly wrenched from his hand, but Saul was a strong individual. Work on the docks had given him a strong grip, and it didn’t falter on the rough fiber of the rope.

And there was nothing more precious to him than what he held in his other arm. Though his muscles trembled furiously from the previous exertion of the day’s work and the effort the swimming had taken, his grip on her would definitely never slip. Panic filled him and fueled his strength as he realized he couldn’t feel her breathing. The ascension up the side of ship wasn’t nearly fast enough, not for Saul, though it took mere ticks to reach the edge. Hefting Brat up to the arms that reached down, he let them take her from him, then pulled himself up over the ship’s rail and fell on the to the deck, landing in a puddle. He barely noticed it as he was already thoroughly soaked and looking for where Brat had been taken. Spotting her he dashed over and began to shove those gathered around her out of the way. He started to lean over her, but Malachi caught him and pulled him back.

“Give her room, Saul. Let those who know what they’re doing work.”

The ship’s medic (Saul only knew because he was the one always handing out hangover remedies) leaned.

One of the sailors in the huddle spoke up. “Get some air into her. She’ll remember what it’s like to breathe.”

The entire ship and several others around them were focused on what was going on in the midst of that small group. They had heard the hubbub. Not everyone loved Brat, but she was a fixture around the Harbor. Everyone seemed to recognize her, and no one wished her ill. There was a hush in the air, a still in all motion, as they waited to see what would happen.

The medic bent over Brat, plugged her nose, and put his mouth over hers. He blew out, and her chest rose and fell with the man’s lent breath. As the man came back up for another breath, he paused for just a moment to see if the first breath had any effect. Nothing happened. He plugged her nose and breathed into her again, and once again, nothing happened.

The sickening feeling returned, and whether it was due to fear or exhaustion, Saul couldn’t support himself anymore. He slumped to the deck, his eyes remaining on Brat the entire time.
Saul Sticks

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Donor (1)