Flashback Exploring the Coastline

Okara meets Aladari and adventures are had.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Okara on June 17th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Spring 61, 514

Okara packed her picnic basket carefully, considering what she might need for the day. She scratched her eyebrow as she gazed around her small cottage looking for what might be useful in a beachside picnic. The weather was warming up as summer loomed nearer and she wanted to celebrate with a meal enjoyed outdoors near the ocean waves. Okara removed two sets of the dishes and silverware, she was only planning a small picnic and she needed extra room for her cooking supplies. She placed her oyster knife, flint, steel, and the knife and seasonings from her chef’s toolkit in the basket. Okara arranged the contents of the basket so the knives would not cut her when she reached her hand into the basket and so that the lighter items were on top of the heavier.

Okara picked up the basket, testing its weight, then started towards her door. As an afterthought she picked up her suvai to bring as well. She planned to walk along the beach until she left the sounds of the city behind and while there were no immediate physical dangers on the island a little protection always seemed like a good idea. Besides, she planned on collecting the ingredients for her picnic herself and the suvai’s poison would be handy if she chose to fish. The poison would stun any prey but pose no harm to the Konti who consumed it afterwards. Okara doubted her grandmother would approve of using the handed-down weapon as a fishing implement but Okara saw no harm in a little creativity.

She left the white stone cottage behind and strolled the city paths leisurely. Okara was in no rush and enjoyed the breeze rustling the loose blonde hair hanging around her shoulders. The Konti’s green eyes were soft and friendly as they gazed around at the painted stone buildings she passed and the beautiful Konti women milling about them. Springtime always brought a feeling of renewed energy to the city, though perhaps that feeling was shared across the world. Spring was such an infectiously happy time.

Okara wound her way through the city to the harbor and docks. She meant to turn towards the beach but faltered at the sight of the ships moored to the island’s docks. Mura traded for many products and ships in the harbor was no strange sight but Okara was still intrigued by the thought of the exotic places the ships had come from. She walked slowly towards the ships, taking in the shapes of their hulls and the color of the sails that graced each one. She wondered where they were from and who sailed them, if they were trading in the city or just touring its beautiful sights and restful businesses on the way to somewhere else.

She made her way carefully to the edge of the docks, trying to stand out of the way of the sailors and dockhands who worked to organize the docked ships and see to their cargo holds. She stood there for a chime, watching the comings and goings of the people around her. Exotic accents were music to her ears and even some of the clothing worn by the passengers of the visiting ships were interesting to her. She tried not to stare obviously at any one for too long, aware of the awkwardness of long stares. Visitors were always so exciting to someone used to the small, close-knit Mura community.
Okara
Great stories start with humble beginnings.

Words: 218993
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2016, 12:34 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Aladari Coolwater on June 20th, 2016, 1:58 am

Most of the crew had left the ship, trading old hammocks and stale food for beds, warm food, and the entertainment of the Konti ladies. Aladari, however, found that absurd.

Why would they want to leave, to go on land, when they had a perfectly good ship sitting right on the docks? It was free of charge to sleep in, and the minuscule swaying of the ship was the only way Aladari ever wanted to fall asleep. This morning, when she woke up on deck to the sight of fluffy white clouds and Syna's glow, she almost didn't want to get up. But, of course, she did, for there was an entire island to explore, and far too many things to learn in her short time here.

Once on the docks, Aladari found herself surrounded by the familiar sight of working men. The dockhands she recognized nodded or winked when they passed by, and Aladari acknowledged them with a wave. She was happy to see them, of course, but she could see them any day. Today, she was interested in the Konti.

There were quite a few on the docks; they were helping organize cargo, directing sailors, and offering general hospitality, for the most part. There were a few, however, who were just watching the happenings. One was particularly interesting. She was soft-looking, with gently waving hair, sweet green eyes, and youthful face. In her hands, she clutched a picnic basket and a curved blade. A strange combination, She thought. So she quickly moved over to the woman, introducing herself without a second thought, the way only a child can.

"Name is Aladari." She stated flatly in her broken Common. "Who are you? What is the basket for? And why carry a blade?"
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Sunberth Seasonal Challenge (1)

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Okara on June 25th, 2016, 8:45 pm

The voice broke Okara’s concentration and she turned to look at the speaker. A short girl with dark hair appeared to be the source, her lips moving to shape her name and make inquiries. Okara noted the girl’s locks had an interesting green highlight and she almost could have sworn that the girl’s eyes shifted in color. Okara’s intrigue was roused when she realized that the teenage girl before her was likely one of the Vantha people. If the girl was familiar with the distant city of Avanthal, likely she had exciting stories that Okara would delight in hearing. Okara knew little of the winter city and always appreciated learning more about distant lands. Learning more about the world always made her feel wondrous of reality and grateful for her relatively peaceful home.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Aladari. My name is Okara.” She smiled at Aladari’s upfront questions. She admired the girl’s straightforward approach while a visitor in a foreign city. Okara imagined that she would feel shy or overwhelmed surrounded by so much newness, but perhaps Aladari was more used to exotic sights. Okara knew that there were those in the world who sailed from port to port and had seen many marvels which no longer dazzled them.

“The basket? Oh, this is my picnic basket. I was going to have lunch on the beach, down the coast away from the city noise. Plates and cooking tools are not easy to carry just in my hands.I only brought the tools for cooking, I was hoping to collect lunch in the ocean or near the beach. The suvai, my weapon, is a just a precaution for any chance predators I could possibly encounter in the ocean. Hopefully I won’t have any need of it, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.” Okara explained slowly, her own grasp of Common was not amazing though it got her meaning across just fine.

“Where did you sail here from? Which ship are you on, have you been docked in port long?” Okara hesitated for a moment as she considered her own questions. She was curious about Aladari’s history and culture though the dock was not a great place to stand around and chat. Already sailors and dockhands were swerving around the obstacle they made, a few with murmured irritation.

“Say, are you very busy Aladari? Would you like to join me for my picnic? We might have to do some fishing or foraging for food but I’m a pretty good cook, I can make whatever we find delicious. I was going to go by myself but now that I think about it, a guest sounds lovely.” Okara smiled widely. The scales on her temples flashed iridescent when they caught Syna’s light and framed her green eyes.
Last edited by Okara on July 20th, 2016, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 13th, 2016, 6:53 pm

OOCSo sorry about the long wait! There's not a good reminder because it's not in my usual city and not with the usual people. If I'm taking too long, please feel free to poke me. :)

Aladari could feel the physical shift in her eyes as they colored a vivid green at the mention of fishing. She lived for fish, and so catching something new in a foreign city was the most exciting thing she could think of. With the dock too busy for fish to enjoy the area, and too crowded for nets or hooks to be effective, she had not yet gotten the chance. Now, not only would she be able to fish, but she would also get guidance from a native!

"I will love that." She answered with a large grin. "Where to?"

Once they started walking away from the docks, and the din of sailors, Aladari began to think over the questions, and her answers.

"The ship has docked almost a third of a season. It is long time for us, but I don't think it is long for you. We come from Zeltiva, what is where I was birthed. My parents are there, also, but they are of Avanthal. I want to go to Avanthal, but I could have to stop in Sunberth for a season or more."

The sailor shrugged. It made no difference in the long run whether or not she had to stop in Sunberth. She only wanted to see Morwen in person before she died, and so she hoped she had plenty of time.

"For you, you have lived here so long? Your family is here?"

Turning her attention back to the new world around her, Aladari began to take in the sights. The sand was soft, and it had a gentle glow. The buildings, too, were lightly-colored, and swirled with designs as though they were caught in the tide. The people were quiet and hospitable, to strangers or to their own, and they seemed so peaceful. However, Aladari could not forget that the woman beside her carried a blade.

"What are the kind of...predators....here?" She repeated the word carefully, letting its sound shape her tongue. It was foreign- Zeltivans spoke of politics and education, not fighting- but it was also a fun word. It was longer, and the way it almost rhymed (pra-da-tar) was strangely satisfying. Eager to show off her learning, she tried again.

"In Zeltiva, we are not worried about the predators. The Wave Guard, they keep us safe. You are safe here, also, yes?"
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Okara on July 16th, 2016, 1:45 pm

OOCNo worries, I’ve been swamped with work lately and slacking in my own replies!

When Aladari questioned their direction Okara pointed her hand in indication and the pair started moving South. First walking through the docks, dodging the industrious sailors and dock workers who moved quickly with purpose and then down onto the soft sand of the beach. Okara’s stroll was leisurely and matched her speed to her friendly companion. She listened to Aladari’s explanations with a smile. The names of foreign cities Okara had only heard of spilled off her tongue so casually. She wished to visit them someday but could any place be as beautiful and comforting as Mura?

“You have traveled to some interesting places, and it sounds like you have more interesting places ahead of you. I’m curious what Zeltiva is like. I have lived in Mura all my life, I have never left this island yet. I may one day, but I think I still have things to learn here. My mother and two sisters live here as well. While they are my blood family, we Konti consider each other sisters, so you could really say all of Mura is my family. We look out for one another like family anyways.” Okara explained slowly, considering her answers before she spoke them.

The pair made their way down the beach. They passed houses, businesses and delicate gardens all carefully tended to by loving hands. The buildings began to get more spread apart as they neared the edge of Mura and the tall trees of the Silverwood forest became more common and closer together. They would have to travel a little ways before they reached ripe foraging grounds.

“Hmm… well there aren’t many predators on the Isle proper to speak of. Konti Isle is generally a safe place. Maybe the occasional bear or bobcat but they are happy to keep their distance as long as you don’t bother them. Every once in a great while some nefarious louts will try to land on the far end of the Isle but they are taken care of easily by Konti fighters. They always think they are going to take us by surprise, but they sure don’t know much about Konti.” Okara explained and laughed for a moment.

“The Sebakem Ocean has all the same dangers that it does everywhere else. Sharks, eels, some predatory whales, any other hungry creatures lurking in Laviku’s depths. I’m sure you are familiar with the possible dangers, probably more so than me from all your travels.” Okara looked over at the ocean as she spoke. It seemed so inviting from the beach, the beautiful blue waves lapping gently at the shoreline as birds skimmed its surface for fish. But beneath those inviting waves lay endless depths that contained all sorts of things, some perhaps only known Laviku himself.

“What is the Wave Guard? I don’t think I’ve heard of that before. We are very safe here. There is very little of true danger that can harm us on Konti Isle. We tend to always be very prepared for anything that comes our way. Many of my kind have gifts that help keep us safe and we work together to fend off anything stupid enough to actually attempt harm upon us. A lot of Konti carry suvai like mine, though they are much more skilled with them than I. I don’t have to use mine much but I like to keep it with me when I leave the city proper. My grandmother was skilled with suvai and she always told me that the moment you travel unprepared is when you find trouble. And who knows, perhaps I will be able to spear a fish with it.” Okara smiled at her own jest and paused for a moment to take a breath, realizing that she had been speaking for sometime and hoped she had not bored her guest. Being able to talk about Mura and speak of its treasures brought the warmth of pride to her chest.

The residences and businesses of Mura slowly receded behind them. Now trees and bushes lined the beach as they traveled further south around the island. Okara knew the lighthouse resided at the far southern end of Konti Isle but that was several bells walk away. They still had a little distance to cover before the pickings would be good. Her Vantha companion seemed excited to fish so Okara was pleased she would have some assistance on that front.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Aladari Coolwater on July 30th, 2016, 11:12 pm

As soon as each of the foreign words left her acquaintance's lips, Aladari mouthed them back silently.

Nefarious louts...Sebakem Ocean...Suvai...

Although she could piece together what Okara had said, it was difficult for her to understand all of the Common words. They came so quickly, and so easily from Okara that Aladari felt a tad embarrassed by her own speech. Her eyes dusted a rosy pink in reflection of this. In spite of her ocular blush, Aladari eagerly answered all the questions posed to her.

"The Wave Guard," She began, "Are the people guard the city. They are normal people with other jobs, mostly, but they spend time helping. They keep laws, and they defend the city with weapons."

She paused, uncertain of how to describe the rest of the city's defenses.

"The Wave Guard, they have a High Guard, too. Of the people who protect for a living. They are trained for stronger and smarter. In case a Zith attacks, or like that."

Aladari watched her own feet drag through the dirt and sand as they walked. She was proud of her home in Zeltiva, of course. It was where she was born and where she had grown. Her parents lived there and taught her to love the place. The city taught her everything she needed to know to journey out on her own. And yet, Aladari knew her chest didn't puff out and her eyes didn't sparkle when she spoke of home like the Konti's did. Would she ever feel the pride and joy of having a home, or would the water always be her only refuge?

Aladari subconsciously tapped the Gnosis on her shoulder with one hand. When she finally saw Morwen, then she would feel that fullness. It would only be a matter of seasons before she found her real home in Morwen's icy domain.

Hoping to distract herself, Aladari looked up and around at the beach. It was beginning to thin out around her, where sparse trees and bushes now took the place of homes and businesses. Suddenly she realized that she was lacking any fishing tools. Patting her clothing as though she may find it hidden, Aladari looked to Okara.

"How we are going to fish? With your...Suvia? Or is your gift you mention to help you fish?" Aladari really had no idea what Konti gifts were like, but she felt that this was the most polite way to inquire about something so personal. "I only know with net, or pole. I don't fish with spear or sword."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Okara on July 31st, 2016, 11:49 pm

Okara nodded along with Aladari’s description of Zeltiva’s Wave Guard. She imagined that something that had as nice of a name as Wave Guard must be something marvelous to see. Though living in fear of Zith attacks seemed decidedly less marvelous. Okara had heard of the fearsome Zith race before they had never attempted an attack of Mura, at least not within her memory. She reasoned a Zith attack was improbable and not very realistic to carry out. Okara wondered if a Zith could even fly all the way to Mura.

Okara looked over at Aladari and noted the changes in her eyes. She did not know the Vantha woman well enough to interpret the meaning of the colors and wondered at them. She smiled as a thought occurred to her that she wanted to share with her companion.

“You know, I just realized that Vantha and Konti cultures have something in common. We are both by nature less able to hide our emotions and selves from our own kind. You and your Vantha kin have those eyes that change color. While my Konti sisters are especially perceptive and each has a divine gift that grants them some extra insight. We live more transparently than other cultures do.” She explained her observation slowly and deliberately as she considered the similar aspect of each culture. It was exciting to find something in common with something that was also so foreign.

As Aladari questioned fishing methods Okara hummed softly in response, considering an answer.

“Well we could swim around and find an oyster bed, it’s fairly easy to knock them off. I could try to catch something with my suvai. One prick will poison something efficiently enough to paralyze it if you can help me corner it. That’s how the creature that shed the horn it was made from hunted, after all. Or we could collect some sea mustard….” Okara mused and then came to a sudden halt. Her eyes were wide when she turned towards Aladari.

“Oh that’s right, you cant breathe underwater. I forgot about that, I usually don’t have to take that into consideration. I suppose those options aren’t really realistic, are they? Um. Now I feel quite foolish.” Okara sighed and looked around, hoping to find inspiration around her. Her green eyes scanned the woods near the beach. “Say, have you fished before? Do you know enough about poles and whatever else is needed to make one? I would help, of course! It would be primitive but I bet we could make it work. Just like twig and a string, right?”

Okara held her breath and waited to see how Aladari would react. It was a long shot and she didn’t know the temperament of the Vantha beside her well enough to know if she would be offended or not.
Last edited by Okara on August 22nd, 2016, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Aladari Coolwater on August 18th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Okara's voice was soft and melodic. She was easy to listen to, and her words were friendly. She spoke of their similarities, of living transparently, and it made Aladari smile. It was comforting to be reminded of the connection between here and her home and it put her at ease in the company of so many strangers.

The mention of swimming, however, tensed her body again.

"Swim around is not a choice for me anyway." She shook her head sadly. "I don't go in the water, just on it.

"But we can to build a fish pole. It will be hard, but will give me something I can do."

It was really her own fault for not bringing a pole, so she couldn't blame her partner for trying to help, even if she did forget to consider the limits of Aladari's lungs. She wandered compliantly across to where the foliage met the sandy waterside. She would be sure to find some materials there.

"Hey!" She called out in excitement, "We share fishing, too. We are almost the same!"

She chuckled to herself at the thought of being so like this stranger. It was an odd notion, and yet, it seemed like they were more common than she was willing to admit to herself.

Soon enough, she found her pole. She held up the stick triumphantly; it was not very long, but plenty thick enough to hold a large fish. There was a notch on each end, and a few smaller twigs on the side which she proceeded to snap off.

"You find for string?" She asked expectantly.
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Okara on August 26th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Okara stood still a moment to watch Aladari search through the undergrowth for a suitable branch or stick. She was glad Aladari had gone along with her suggestion good naturedly or it might have gotten awkward. Since Aladari was clearly taking care of the pole, Okara determined it was up to her to figure out something for the fishing line.

Okara gazed around her surroundings, considering what might be most usefully made into fishing line. She considered looking through the forest edge for a vine but ultimately determined that it would be sticky and difficult to work with. Her green eyes continued roaming around until her gaze rested on the picnic basket in her arms. Struck by an idea, she opened the basket and carefully withdrew the picnic blanket that cushioned the other utensils, moving slowly to ensure she did not damage the other contents of the basket in the process.

The Konti woman unfolded the blanket and examined a corner seam closely. She used her nail to dig out a thread and pulled it gently, the thread slowly unraveled along the edge of the cloth. She unraveled the thread gently, careful not to pull so hard that it broke. Eventually she decided that the unraveled string was long enough and used the kitchen knife she had packed to cut it from the blanket. Her picnic blanket was looking frayed from the portion she had unraveled but no matter, it would be easy to fix at home and it was only a picnic blanket.

Okara examined the thread closely, it seemed rather fragile. If a large fish pulled roughly it would likely break the thread with ease. She raised a webbed hand and scratched her temple as she considered the problem and possible solutions. As she stood contemplating, the breeze picked up and wisps of white blonde hair rippled around her face. She tucked the hair behind one ear with irritation, wishing she had braided the bleached locks that morning. Braiding! Okara’s lips pulled back into a smile, her annoyance with her hair leading her to the solution of the problem. Braiding the threads together would make the fishing line stronger and less likely to snap.

“You don’t go in the water? Do you have a fear of swimming?” Okara recalled the words her Vantha companion had said and curiosity got the better of her as she set to braiding the thread. She sat down in the sand and used the kitchen knife to cut the thread into three parts. Tucking one end of the bunch under her foot, she began to carefully braid the strings together into one fishing line.

“Does a dislike of water make sailing difficult or do you just not look at the ocean?” Okara questioned as she steadily moved her hands back and forth, the braided line growing slowly. She was accustomed to braiding her own hair but she wasn’t used to braiding string for this purpose so she moved slowly to prevent breakages or an uneven braid. She looked up at Aladari showed off the stick she had found.

“Yes, we are practically the same! Emotions and fishing, all you need to bring cultures together.” Okara laughed and flashed Aladari a wide grin. “That looks like it will be a great pole. Or at least I think it will be. I’m working on the string right now. We still need a hook and some bait. I think the bait will be easy, theres gotta be some worms or something under a rock around here. But the hook might be more difficult. Maybe we can find a shell on the beach and break it into a hook shape? Shells have super sharp edges but I’m not sure how easy it will be to shape. What do you think?”
Okara

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Exploring the Coastline

Postby Aladari Coolwater on August 30th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Not afraid of the water..." Aladari drew out the sentence. She was stalling until she could think of the words she needed for such a difficult explanation.

"Being on the water...it is like...I am controlling of the water. I go way I want, how fast I want, and can stop when I want. I am in the water, it is controlling me. I do nothing, and I am eaten up. You see?"

She smiled, satisfied that she had found a way to communicate her feelings. "I look at water from the boat, but it is under me then, instead of around me."

Aladari nodded her approval and flashed a thumbs-up when Okara held her string up for inspection. It looked slightly thin, but Aladari had noticed her braiding the threads, and so knew it should be strong enough for moderate sized fish.

But Okara was right; the hook would be a problem.

At the Konti's suggestion, Aladari placed her stick in the sand and walked down to where the high tide line sat. She shifted through the sand with her boot, searching for a suitable shell. Many were already broken, and many more were tiny shards that wouldn't support the weight of Aladari's hand.

A single attempt at fashioning a shell hook left Aladari dissatisfied. She found a sturdy rock and a large shell, trying to chip away at the shell with her makeshift tool. However, it shattered quickly into several pieces, none of which were suitable as hooks.

She almost gave up and offered to collect the bait instead, but she already felt guilty about finding the stick instead of solving the problem of the string. No, it was her turn to think.

She turned around and around in the sand, just thinking. What did she usually use? She had been gifted a fishing kit from her parents, which included a pole with a small, hand-crafted metal hook. It was delicate and expensive, not to mention no where near available to the pair.

Before she had been given her own tools, she had gotten them from her parents. She had seen her parents fashion hooks many times, using just two sharpened sticks, but she had never been able to master the technique required for these large hooks. Besides- she had no way to sharpen sticks.

It took her a full chime to realize her partner did.

"For hook, you can sharpen stick. This big, maybe." She held up her fingers at about the size she remembered, about 6 inches apart. "Then you will tie second stick to sharp one with end of string."

She stopped to mull over the steps in her head. What else did they need? Could it truly be that simple?

"And then...we have hook. Put bait on it and throw it out." She instructed. "When fish bites, wait !" This was a lesson firmly implanted in her head from when she had first started. She had always been so eager to catch the fish that she yanked hard quickly, and pulled the hook right out from her prey's mouth. Again, she was reminded of her mother's encouraging words.

"We can catch fish, if we be patient."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes