Solo Acquisitions

Sayana seeks out the rare materials needed for a Grand Oath

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Acquisitions

Postby Sayana on June 17th, 2016, 8:47 pm

Summer 5, 516

Ink, quills and parchment. Sayana had never considered them beyond their face value… a day filled with boredom and a cramped hand. But now that she had to purchase some, and rather exquisite versions of these simple products, she was starting to feel out of her league. Almost.

She had first tried the bazaar and the stall owner had looked at her curiously when she had specified the precise grade of parchment and the preferred animal it had come from. “No, we don’t carry that. Are you sure that’s what you need? Might be hard to find.”

It was only then did she truly realize that what she sought was not going to be an easy task. It might also draw attention due to the specific nature of it. Who else would require a quill made from the feather of a kelvic eagle?

It was not too late to back down. She still had the fifty gold plus her own supply of mizas. But really, bested by some writing implements? First she needed to figure out who might sell such materials, and where. She had to be discrete about it too. If she had gotten into all this using hypnotism, she might as well use it to get out.

The Eypharian dressed in her basic squire disguise, a helmet, a buckler strapped to her back, and a simple cloak. Her hair was tucked in to the helmet and she attempted a scholarly look by carrying a book in one hand. She stepped inside Qayala’s Quill and slowly roamed through the goods. It was as she expected. Nothing quite matched the caliber of the materials she needed. But soon she found an appropriate target. There was a woman carrying far too many jars of ink along with parchment and a couple new quills. She seemed to be enjoying herself and was soon chatting with the shopkeeper. Sayana watched for a moment and then moved to a place where she might catch the woman’s eye and also be within earshot.

As the woman chatted, Sayana gathered her focus and her magic. It was a suggestion that she summoned. The desire for something exquisite and of higher quality. I would like a better quill. I deserve a better quill. One made from a wind eagle or kelvic… However, even as Sayana focused her magic on the chatty woman, it was stronger than a usual suggestion. Almost as though the message was an idea or thought which had come from the woman herself. It was a bit of a blend between the two techniques, but the results were still in Sayana’s favor.

“Excuse me sir, I was wondering if you sold exceptional quills. Ones made from the feathers of wind eagles or kelvics.”

“No. That sort of merchandise is usually frowned upon. However, there are some lesser known stores that might be willing to provide such… for a price. Undeniable Interests has strange items that are not for everyday use. But surely, why would you need such a quill?”

The woman stammered a little at the accusing glare of the shopkeeper, but Sayana did not stay and watch. She knew her next destination.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Words: 1543550
Joined roleplay: September 22nd, 2014, 12:38 am
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syliras Seasonal Challenge (1) Alvadas Seasonal Challenge (1)

Acquisitions

Postby Sayana on June 17th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Before seeking out the location of the Undeniable Interests, Sayana first went home to change her disguise. Instead of taking on the role of a simple squire, she garbed herself in as much finery and makeup as she could find. She had armbands, a silver necklace, rings, fine silk and satin… She wore it proudly, almost in a snobbish manner, as she stepped into the shop.

“I’d like your finest quills,” she stated to the old man when she managed to get past all the clutter and dust within the shop. “Something special, unique…” It took quite a bit of bantering and haggling of prices to actually confirm that the quill she was purchasing was one with an eagle kelvic’s feather. Her approach was rather indirect, as she pretended to be a frivolous member of the upper class. And again and again she steered the conversation towards what kind of feather it was, along with the phrases ‘yes that will do’ or ‘no it needs to be something more like…'

In a normal situation she would have just asked for the quill specifically, but that was not the role she was playing, nor did she want to draw attention to herself. Wealthy folk just want something to show off, while a mage apparently requires it for a specific reason.

She whistled at the price when it was given. Then she haggled it down to something decent. The acquisition of the parchment went in a similar fashion. She said that it was to be used as a canvas for a portrait an artist would be making. She played off the vanity of some of the higher class people who reside in the city. And she explained that the quality of the parchment had to be smooth to hold the image and durable to last upon a wall for seasons to come.

However, the ink was the next problem. Indigo glowing ink? The shopkeeper nearly thought she was mad, and he referred her back to Qayala’s Quill.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Acquisitions

Postby Sayana on June 17th, 2016, 8:52 pm

The next morning, Sayana pondered on the items she needed. Indigo glowing ink and scarlet ink as red as blood. There were a few other inks of lesser rarity but these were the tricky two. After several chimes of contemplating and seriously doubting that she’d be able to find them at the Quill, she suddenly had an idea. There was a poison, she wasn’t even sure if it was a true poison, but a substance that could glow an eerie violet. If mixed with the indigo ink, it might achieve the required effect. The only problem was obtaining the poison since it came from glowing sea slugs. But she had encountered them before in the Suvan Sea, and she could do it again.

The Eypharian spent all of the morning and a good portion of the afternoon wading through the shallows of the Suvan Sea and often swimming to broaden her search. It took time but finally she managed to find two specimens of the slug. With a knife, she cut out the most potent source of the glow, likely a gland or something, then mashed it with her mortar and pestle. Straining it the best she could, she poured the bit of liquid into a vial.

Now for the ink that was as red as blood… The answer was suddenly obvious and she was surprised she hadn’t thought of it earlier. With a right hand she drew one of her daggers and readied her left low forearm. With another right, she held a vial in place against her skin and slowly made a thin cut along her arm. The wound didn’t need to be deep to draw blood, and after gently squeezing the cut, she managed to get enough to fill the small container.

She now had the ingredients she thought would produce the required inks.

She set out for Qayala’s Quill, this time making sure her black robe concealed her mid and low arms. She also tied up her hair in a tight bun and added a paler cream coloured paste to lighten her skin tone on her face, neck, hands, and forearms. The rest would be concealed under her robe and her other garments. When she stepped into the shop, no one seemed to give her a second glance. However, when she was about the approach the shopkeeper, there were two knights already discussing in low tones. Oh petch… Sayana moved closer, pretending to browse the wares and she managed to pick up a few words. Glypher. Specialty products. Quill. Report any suspicious activity. Now things just got harder.

Sayana had been planning to be rather direct with her request, but now she had to make sure it looked normal and very not suspicious. When the knights finally left, Sayana stepped up to the shopkeeper with a bubbling and rather distracted expression.

“Have you ever seen the glint of Syna upon the ocean waves? Or better yet, Leth’s calming rays upon a still sea. Or the twinkle of stars on a black canvas sky? Or is it blue? Or indigo? I’m trying to capture that image. And I’ve got this stuff that my friend said would do the trick, but when I mixed it up with the ink I needed it was lumpy and I couldn’t even get my quill to work. Have you ever had such troubles with an elusive colour?”

She held out her vial of the Luminous Vos poison and the indigo ink she intended to mix it with. “My friend said it would create magical results.” “Magic? Funny… there were some knights just talking about magic.” “No no, not that kind of magic. It is the art itself which is magical.” Sayana replied with a beaming smile. Sometimes the way to be the least suspicious is not by appearing normal, but by appearing so far-fetched that that people just assume you’re off in your own world and it’s not related in the slightest.

Sayana could almost see the shopkeeper’s thought process but then he simply shrugged and proceeded to take the small vial and the indigo ink.

“Oh oh, and one more thing. I would like this mixed in with your scarlet ink.” Sayana added in an excited tone as she held up the vial of blood and a small jar of ink. “Just be careful with the first vial, since it can sting if it gets on your hands.”

She was awarded another pause of hesitation from the storekeeper, but it was mostly to produce an appropriate price for the request. She thanked him heartily and handed over the respective coin. The next day she returned for the inks and at last she had all the materials required for the Grand Oath.

Receipt :
Mortar and pestle: 1 gm
All materials (quill, parchment, inks) required for one Grand Oath: 100 gm

Note – She came across the Luminous Vos poison in the thread Phantom's Shell dated Spring 70, 516. In this post Devi mentions the glowing sea slugs. So if I don’t yet have the lores for that, I hope it’s okay to infer that she would have learned about the poison’s existence/properties from that thread.
Sayana
Dancing in the rain...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Acquisitions

Postby Izuyanai on September 24th, 2016, 2:09 am

Grades :

Grades

Name: Sayana

XP:
Disguise +3
Hypnotism +1
Negotiation +1
Impersonation +2
Scavenging +1
Poison +1
Weapon Dagger: +1

Lores:
Disguise: Squire Disguise
Disguise: Rich and Elite
Grand Oath: Indigo Glowing Ink, Scarlet Ink, Quill of a Kelvic or Windeagle, and Specific Parchment
Poison: Violet Substance From Glowing Sea Slugs
Improvising Indigo Glowing Ink and Scarlet Ink.

Obtained materials for one Grand Oath
Bleeding on the cut on arm will take less than one day to stop and 3 days to heal over.

Notes: Nice simple shopping thread but with a lot of ingenuity on Sayana’s part. I enjoyed watching her methods of slipping around, assuming different identities. Let me know if you think I’ve missed something.
Izuyanai
I'm back!

Words: 165305
Joined roleplay: September 14th, 2014, 8:14 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)