PM to join The Coolwater Hunt

Junco and Micah Frostfawn, Epifanio Snowsong, Alekxandra Winterflame, Levali Iceglaze and Isaac Iceglaze

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Junco on July 26th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Image
13 Summer, 516AV


It was very early morning and the group was gathered at the Bay of Avanthal. There were 18 total members of this hunt. Yoh'vahn Frostfawn, lead hunter of Avanthal and Triak Coolwater, lead fisher of Avanthal put together the excursion in preparation for the midnight sun. This hunt is much larger than a normal group, usually 5 to 7 people at most. Although Yoh'vahn and Triak are leading the group, they are also participating as hunters, both equipped with spears. There are 5 other melee hunters; Farren Frostfawn with a longsword whose main job is the scout and Navas Whitevine also with a longsword whose main job is a doctor, Levali Iceglaze also has a longsword there is also Treyin Coolwater wielding a harpoon and javelin and Freeda Coolwater with a javalin. The rest of the hunters participating wield bow and arrows. Levin and Junco Frostfawn wield shortbows along with Epifanio Snowsong and Micah Frostfawn, though whose main job is as an animal caretaker. Keriay Frostfawn and Ceruven Coolwater wield longbows, though Keriays main job is as a tracker. Then there are the non-hunters; Svarra Coolwater as the cartographer, Cerves Winterflame as the food preservationist and cook, Alek Winterflame also as a cook and Hinila Whitevine as a vet. These four are being guarded by the only Icewatch member, a dire polar bear kelvic by the name of Isacc Izeglaze who's skill in unarmed combat and shielding prove him a protector.

Yoh'vahn spoke first. "Our group will be heading north, tracking the ice shelf. We will travel until we either catch enough to bring back a successful hunt, or until our supplies run too low. Hopefully, for all of our sakes, we are successful. Please mind your jobs and protect one another."

Triak spoke next. "There is a formation I want to abide by for this hunt. Our scout, Farren, will ride ahead and report back anything he sees. He will be advised by our tracker, Keriay who will ride in the front of our formation. Yoh'vahn and I will be next, followed by our other spear and javelin wielders. Pulling up their flank will be our archers. Finally our non healers and caretaker wills be in the back, ever watchful of injury or danger to their patients. Behind them will be our cooks who will be watched at the back by our Icewatch guardian, Isacc."

As this was spoken the group began to move. Slowly and uncertain they moved towards their spots in the formation until everyone was in rank waiting for their two leaders to join them. Every member had already been provided a horse and Navas' horse also pulled a wagon full of supplies for specialized purposes. Inside the wagon held food, water, preservation and medicinal supplies ans well as feed, extra arrows and other needed items. Hanila's wagon was empty and meant to transport the bodies of the their hunted prey for transport back to Avanthal.

"And with that we are off! From now on we switch to our hunting names that you all have been introduced with previously. Once we get out into the wastes more we will cease speaking and start using our calls."
At Yoh'vahns final words he turned his back and began to lead the group out of the bay. They headed north as he previously mentioned. The scout stayed with the group for now until the tracker could pick something up. They rode close together, headed huddled, talking and observing the ground in front of them.

_____________________________________

Junco stood aptly listening to his lead hunters words. His excitement for this hunt was unbearable. He had never been in a group this large and he was ever curious to how this would work. Looking around him he saw many familiar Frostfawn faces. But there were Vantha and Kelvics from other holds as well. Every hunt he had ever gone on had members from other houses, but the range and diversity of this group was immense and awe-striking. he trusted Yoh'vahn and Triak, though, to manage this many people. They each were amazing hunters in their own respect as well as good friends.

Junco had a bit of riding skill and so he was given a horse to travel with. It was a pure white Frostmarch, exactly like every other horse on this excursion, mind the Avanthalian sleigh horses that were dragging the wagons. Junco had some experience riding these horses, but he still wasn't completely comfortable with them. His horse, whom he was told was named Yimyer, seemed kind and easily handled, which he was very grateful for.

Besides the horse that was given to him junco brought along his now prized Inartian shortbow, along with his quiver full of 20 arrows. He had a full waterskin attached to his hip and a rucksack with his flint and steel and eating knife and a bit of food for him and his dog, Bastian. Bastian was along for this trip and he would be running alongside Junco on the horse. Bastian was a hunting dog and so was very useful on trips like these. He would be able to help the tracker sniff out prey or help the takedown, whichever Junco ordered him to do.

Once Triak explained the formation he wanted Junco started to look around at his fellow hunters. Specifically he looked for those wielding bows since he would be standing near them in the formation. He spotted one with another shortbow and one with a longbow near him. He headed over. He recognized the longbow wielder as Ceruvan Coolwater, or Scratch as he had been introduced before the leaders speeches. The shortbow hunter was that Epifanio Snowsong, a bard Junco had met only days prior. A bit confused, Junco wondered what part a bard would have in a hunt like this. Of course he assumed he was a hunter due to the bow he was handling. He remembered Epifanio had been introduced as Snout, which seemed oddly fitting in a way he couldn't understand.

Walking up to the two, his Frostfawn lent horse in hand, he posed the question "You both ranged right? So we'll be riding together?"

Members :
Yoh'vahn Frostfawn / Antler - Lead Hunter - Spear
Triak Coolwater / Saber - Lead Fisher - Spear
Levin Frostfawn / Wing - Hunter - Shortbow
Keriay Frostfawn / Trot - Tracker - Longbow
Farren Frostfawn / Roar - Scout - Longsword
Navas Whitevine / Lick- Doctor - Longsword
Treyin Coolwater / Sweat - Hunter - Harpoon/Javelin
Freeda Coolwater / Shiver - Hunter - Javelin
Svarra Coolwater / Hoof- Cartographer - N/A
Ceruven Coolwater / Scratch - Hunter - Longbow
Cerves Winterflame / Howl - Cook/Food Preservationist - N/A
Hinila Whitevine / Tweet - Vet - N/A
Junco Frostfawn / Talon - Hunter - Shortbow
Micah Frostfawn / Feather - Animal Caretaker - Shortbow
Alek Winterflame / Ears- Cook - N/A
Epifanio Snowsong / Snout- Hunter - Shortbow
Isaac Iceglaze / Ribs - Guardian - N/A
Levali Iceglaze / TBD - Hunter - Longsword

*Any PCs who job is listed and is NOT what they wish it to be PM me and I will change it. If you are not a hunter and want to be one you need to have a weapon fit to attack large animals as well as the skill to wield it. If you are a hunter and do not want to be one make sure you have decent skill in something useful to the hunt overall.


NPC Note :
All NPCs listed can be found in the Avanthal Player Information thread under NPCs, except Hinila Whitevine, Treyin and Freeda Coolwater, and Triak Coolwater whom I made up specifically for this hunt and will write up and submit as NPCs officially eventually. Feel free to roleplay with any of these characters. Please note, though, that Yoh'vahn Frostfawn and Triak Coolwater are leaders and very important people both in the hunt and in Avanthal.


Travelling Note :
This hunt is completely on horseback. Even if you only have a little skill in riding you may ride a horse. All horses are being provided free of charge by the Frostfawn Hold for this event. If you have no riding skill at all you will be traveling on foot or riding in a cart being pulled by a horse. However when riding please be aware of your skill and roleplay accordingly.


Supplies Note :
All supplies including horses, food, water, tools, etc. are being supplied by the each respective Hold. The only supplies NOT provided are weapons. So if you have no weapon you must either buy one before the hunt or go without one. Those without weapons will not participate in the actual hunting.
Last edited by Junco on August 13th, 2016, 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Junco
Chris John Millington - Model
 
Posts: 124
Words: 83453
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Location: Avanthal
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on July 29th, 2016, 2:38 pm

The Coolwater Hunt

Epifanio had a few tricks up his sleeve. Naturally a bard was a shady character that most misunderstood during hunts and gatherings. He normally would take plight with a humorous approach and attempt to calm the situation with stories and song. Though, this particular gathering Epifanio was uneasy. He didn’t particularly care that a polar bear was here tagging along. He had to learn that not all polar bears are bad though. They after all served as protectors to Avanthal.

Epifanio set up lazily in the back of a wagon. He sat on a crate of some of the supplies when he heard a voice mention that archers will be in the flank. Jumping off the wagon, it seemed that things were finally starting to take way. Knowing that his own shortbow was useless for long range, Epifanio shrugged it off and walked to his proper position. There he saw the rest of the archers. “Is everyone ready? Wing, Talon, Feather, Scratch?” Those that knew him well could easily make him out by carrying his gamba, but for ease of travel it was nestled in a wagon. He was the only one of the group of archers without a name resembling a bird or the like. With good reason at that.

He carried 60 shortbow arrows with him (a fair bit more than most), and his methods were far different than those of the typical hunters. Feather knew of his antics, but the rest of the archers didn’t know of the training that he had practiced, aside from bits of a song he had presented in the Red Diamond Tavern.

Embarassingly, snout did not know how to ride a horse, and he had no intention of learning at this time. He walked beside them and lit up his wooden pipe with some Cyphrian Tabacco. The smell was pleasant and helped in calming his nerves from being overly excited. Without it, he would surely be dancing as he walked. He couldn’t help himself, and partially used it to hide his own emotions. The smell would be earth and sweet. Speaking through the smoke after inhaling another puff “So this is exciting. Did you know of tales that many animals would sing too? Makes me wonder almost.” The bard took a few more puffs before smothering the tobacco and putting out the flames in the pipe.

As the hunting group worked its way north, it accommodated those traveling by foot. Snout was particularly glad as he wouldn’t tire too fast at the current pace. If he did get tired, he would simply laze around by his gamba in the back of the wagon.
Secret :
Image
User avatar
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard
 
Posts: 127
Words: 96514
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2016, 12:05 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Avanthal Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Levali on August 1st, 2016, 2:22 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
13th of Summer, 516 AV

For one with such little experience in relation to hunting, it was a miracle that Levali was accepted onto the team at all. This was a fairly hyped up event, and the mason had put her name onto the list in the spur of the moment.. Without actually expecting to be called upon. It came to her as a surprise that the group was deviating from their usual group of about seven participants to a much grander scale of seventeen huntsmen - With herself included.

Despite this, Levali was by no means disappointed by it. This was a perfectly valid excuse to be taking time off work. Maybe if she was lucky she might actually gain some renown with Icewatch as well - But such was quite unlikely considering her performance so far. The first thing she was asked was, 'Have you ever ridden a horse?' To which her response was, 'No, but it can't be that hard..' Half an hour of attempting to climb and command a horse ensued, resulting in the stable-hand insisting that everyone would be better off if she just rode in the wagon or walked along. But Levali was stubborn in turn, and eventually she was allowed out with the horse so long as it was lead by someone else. Success! The hazel brown beast would have the misfortune of carrying her along for the hunt, and 'Claw' was quite content with it. She managed to arrive just for the end of the speech, resulting in her horse's lead being handed to one of the more experienced hunters. As soon as the boy left she quickly dismissed the one who was leading her. She seemed to remember his code name as Saber, and the whole display had earned her some confused looks on his part.

Even though Levali had not heard the entire speech, she was still pretty sure she knew where the hunters were going based on who had the pointiest sticks. Leaning forwards and clicking her feet lightly against the horse - Whose name was Welsh - The girl managed to get her horse to start moving towards her desired destination. For the hunt, Claw decided not to bring the iron armor she had bought so long ago when she was still trying to get into Icewatch. Instead she was adorned with varying shades of brown; Shirt, pants, cloak and gloves were all just slightly darker or lighter than the last, and a steel longsword hung by her hip, captive in a leather sword frog. It had been a long time since she had last used it. Too long, as far as she was concerned.

Welsh trotted over past the ones with swords and back to those who carried bows even through Levali's best attempts to make him stop. A bard and a hunter were upon her route, and a hunting dog that stood just below them.. The dog danced out of the way from her barely controlled mount before Claw managed to pull the reigns back in a very forceful manner in order to get it to stop. ..Even if it took a few tries. Her eyes followed to dog all the way back to it's owner, who appeared to be making conversation with the other. Her eyes flushed a nervous green, and the girl gave both of them a shy smile. Her demeanor made it somewhat clear that she had little idea as to what she was doing, especially so once she ran a hand through her dark brown hair that was tied in a simple ponytail in front of her shoulder. Waiting for the appropriate gap in their conversation to step in, she made her introduction. "..Horses am I right? I'n Lev- Er, Claw. Sorry for almost running your dog over. It shouldn't happen again, he just doesn't listen to me is all."
User avatar
Levali
Icebreaker
 
Posts: 44
Words: 48413
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2016, 4:11 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Alekxandra Winterflame on August 3rd, 2016, 4:10 pm

Image
13th, Summer, 516 A.V.


Alekxandra was torn. Hunting was something that was innately within her. It was a part of her just as much as her red hair, and it wasn’t something she often got to indulge in. It was dangerous to hunt beyond the walls of the city and despite her tracking skills and sharp hearing she never ventured out beyond the walls alone. This meant most of her free time for hunting completely depended upon her brother whos free time almost never matched with her own.

The idea of the Coolwater Hunt had appealed to her more primal half and Alek had agreed to join the hunt without much thought as to what it might entail. Now that she was standing amongst the group however… well it was much more obvious this was far more grand than she had anticipated. Hunting was something usually done in small groups or, as her instincts dictated, completely alone. This large group caused nerves to jitter up and down her spine.

On top of it all she wasn’t even actually going to ‘hunt’. It had irked her at first, though a talk with her brother proved all the reasons why she shouldn’t be part of the actual hunting. Her skill with a dagger was laughable, and most of their targets would undoubtedly be much larger than something easily caught between her teeth. Besides cooking, at best she might be able to lend very basic knowledge of tracking.

But for all her novices towards the hunt, Liam had also mentioned that she might actually learn something of use outside of cooking–something that could come of use later on in a future hunt. Liam finally noted that if nothing else her ears could come very much in handy. After all, that was why he had given her the hunt name in the first place.

As the only two from the Winterflame hold–much less with any decent cooking or preservation skills–Alek knelt next to Cerves as she went through her pack to ensure she had the ample supplies for cooking out within the wilderness. There were a number of different items from cooking pots to dishes to different types of spoons and knives. They all served their own purposes of course, but it took several packs to ensure there was everything necessary for the trip.

Blowing out a deep breath Alek looked up to see many had horses to ride on and it made her almost ache with the desire to learn how to ride herself. Given how long this hunt could go she was sure her feet would be aching after each day’s walk trying to trudge through the snow. Though if she had to bet she would eventually just shift into her wolf form because it was easier to traverse through the snow in a lighter frame.

”You ready?” A voice filtered into her senses and Alek shook her head slightly to turn and face Cerves. By the amused look on his face he had probably been watching her. Huffing out a breath she nodded and closed the pack she had been attending to and carefully added it to the cart next to them. In the very least they didn’t have to try and lug everything on their backs. That would make travel easier if nothing else.

”I was born to wander the wilds… just not one covered in snow.” She joked, pulling a smile from Cerves. Leaning against the back of the cart, Alek waited for the rest of the party to settle into their formation and start the long journey. The jitter of nerves hadn’t calmed within her yet and her fingers moved to reassure herself that her kris dagger was still firmly planted in her belt. Even with literally no real knowledge of how to use it properly it gave her a sense of security.
Image
User avatar
Alekxandra Winterflame
Player
 
Posts: 102
Words: 109024
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Junco on August 13th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Image
The large hunting group headed north up the ice shelf, moving quickly through the snow and ice on horseback. They were still awaiting the return of the tracker who had rode quite far ahead to search for any sign of prey. Antler and Saber held up the front, leading the entire group through turns and past broken shelf. The group was quiet and only small whispers could be heard throughout. Everyone knew that during a hunt silence was key. Most communication during hunts were spoken as bird calls or whistles, sounds that sounds natural and wouldn't spook nearby animals and kills. Antler motioned the group different way by waving his arms and calling the sound of the common snow geese. A rather unpleasant sound, but a sound heard numerous times a day by the sea in Avanthal.

The group kept its formation pretty well throughout the hike. The horses making little to no sound, very well trained by the Frostfawn Hold. Often time the group would pass by a pod of northern dolphins hopping in the water, or a flock of geese flying annoyingly overhead. A couple of hunters wondered why the group let such easy prey go, especially the birds. More knowledgeable hunters let the new ones know that that kind of kill was a waste of the groups time. They were hunting for Avanthal, not for their families or their Hold. Midnight sun was coming and they needed to prepare by bringing back a huge amount of meat to be dried and preserved to survive in the long night.

____________________

Junco held back with his fellow archers. The melee hunters were in front of him. He resided by Epifanio and Levin, both fellow shortbow hunters. But before him was a new hunter that had introduced herself earlier as Crow. She was a melee hunter and when the time came would break ranks to fight the prey head on after the ranged had let loose their arrows. Junco, of course, had introduced himself as well as his hunting companion, Bastian, at her time of arrival. Bastian did not have his own hunting name, but he responded equally well to several sound commands that Junco had taught him, and so he had no need for a name or word commands to keep up. In a way Bastian was a melee hunter, with his teeth and paws, and would be more by Crow's side, or some other longsword/javelin wielder than Junco himself. And so he made sure the two were well acquainted. At some points Bastian would roam away from Junco's side on his Frostmarch and bounce happily beside Crow or another melee hunter. He seemed to like the Coolwater Javelin Twins.

Speaking of the Frostmarch, although its temperament was mild, Junco was still having a rough time with it. So much so that he had to ask Levin to hold the reigns for him so the horse doesn't stray of course. The hunter laughed quietly at him, but obliged anyway. Junco gripped the saddle as he swayed back and forth on the horses ever moving back. his thighs held steel to the horses belly, though the animal did not seem to mind, thankfully. The group was going at a slow trot and so the man was trying to keep from bouncing right off the mount.

____________________

About two bells into the trip the front of the group were able to view the tracker coming back at a full run to the group. He stopped his horse alongside Saber and Antler, the small group whispered and then the tracker got in line once again at the front, leading the group. A couple of bird calls later and it was known by the rest of the hunters that the tracker had found some prey and they were on its trail. The animal calls didn't leave much room for specifics so no one but the tracker and the leaders knew what kind of animal or even how many they were now hunting. The calls did tell the group that they were about 30 chimes out though.

The group became quieter now, even more so than before. Everyone was focusing and preparing for whatever game they had found. It could be challenging, or it could be simple there was no way on knowing quite yet. Around the group people could hear the sounds of bows knocking and unknocking and sword being sheathed and unsheathed in anticipation. The atmosphere was tense, but excited.

Anyone new to hunting and who did not understand each call could easily ask their neighbor who would quietly and quick translate and perhaps explain what calls are which.
Image
User avatar
Junco
Chris John Millington - Model
 
Posts: 124
Words: 83453
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Location: Avanthal
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Epifanio Snowsong on August 13th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Snout relayed the calls with quiet bird sounds repeated from his flute, a metal series of pipes that were attached to his arm by an armband. A remarkable work of craftsmanship by an isur friend be had met not too long ago. Specifics of the game wasnt well communicated but everyone was set and at the ready. While looking around snout could tell that people were eager if not bored and ready to claim a kill for winter stocks. The sound of metal and knocking arrows echoed throughout the convoy of hunters. Snout however knew better, and as an archer also knew that a majority of stealthy kills would require the archers to injure or make first attack on certain prey.

While pulling his short bow from his back, snout relayed a message in arm signal to the rest of the archers. Staying in formation was the key to success unless told otherwise. As such he almost expected the first flurry of arrows to be flying soon so that the quicker hunters could go in with the killing blow to whatever it was they were hunting.

As snout walked along trying to keep his balance on the broken shelf he noticed that footing had became fairly slick. Looking to his left he noticed the coast and almost expected that whatever they were to hunt would be some sort of sea creature, though that was just his prediction. He hasn't exactly ever been out this far before, he only hoped that the ice beneath him and the convoy of hunters would hold. It would be fairly risky for the entire group to approach the waters of their mark was near the coast where ice thinned out. Then he heard it. It sounded almost like a loud squeak sound that was repeated by another. Two prey? Whatever it was the convoy was getting close.

After knocking an arrow snout shared a nod with his fellow hunters. The squeals of their prey sounded off again with a slight clapping noise that sounded like a weak drum. Snout could try to repeat it, but he didn't want to alert them of the groups arrival. Though, he was right. Approaching them all on horse would be risky as antler, the lead hunter of the group, told all stealthy and ranged hunters to make their way to the sounds. He advised them to keep a low profile and remain downwind. As any alerted movement could cause their prey to escape to the icy waters beneath the shelf.

It would be a risky hunt, and one that would require delicate footing. Snout wasnt much of a leader type but he did get his name for a reason. Often the snout was used to smell out prey, but in his case snout was related to his large testament of attempting to attack things from behind, as if trying to get right behind them close enough to smell their arse. Well closer than what a bow wielder would normally be comfortable with.

As snout worked his way towards the shore he saw two rather large and very fatty looking mammals. They had flabby coarse skin and whiskers which were as black as their eyes. Most would know them to be Leopard seals but inexperienced hunters wouldn't know a thing about them. Their skin is tough and just beneath a large layer of fat protecting their organs. Snout waited there in formation for the other hunters and the command to attack. It would take a flurry of attacks to properly kill them, however they had to be careful to a attack with coordination to strike both of them down. Normally such a thing would require ample planning, but the leader of the hunt was skilled enough to rely on his formation and command to strike.

Sharing a slight point of his bow to the seal on the right, Snout marked his target and awaited for the command to let loose. He knew that just arrows alone most likely wouldn't kill the Leopard seals and that would be when the melee hunters would charge in to make the killing blows.

oocthis post was made with coordination with junco-as such the story wasn't just crafted up. It follows original plot lines set by prophet to follow for the hunt
Secret :
Image
User avatar
Epifanio Snowsong
Bard
 
Posts: 127
Words: 96514
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2016, 12:05 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Avanthal Seasonal Challenge (1)

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Levali on August 18th, 2016, 3:47 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
Summer 516 AV

Little conversation was made between the bard, hunter and mason as the group was quickly hushed on their route through the snow. It seemed that this was hardly going to be a social outing. When Levali was called forwards to join the melee hunters it would be a stretch to say she didn't struggle to get her horse there. A bit of watching other riders and copying their moves allowed her to keep it moving in a single direction.. Somewhere she had heard that horses could sense the attitude of the rider and respond accordingly, though she couldn't place where she heard it for the life of her.

Two bells of silent riding ensued, followed by a bunch of bird calls that she could hardly figure out the meaning of. One of the hunters beside her quickly explained that prey had been located, and that the melee group was to dismount and approach on foot. Compliance was quick and absolute - Despite the calm ride there, such news brought on a sudden rush of adrenaline that muddled her thoughts. Just follow the leader; Antler in this case. The mason was quickly redirected to flank on the east with Roar, hastily inching herself there with the intention of being silent and quick all at the same time.. Almost falling on the ice made this somewhat difficult to accomplish, but after shooting an embarrassed smile to her partner all seemed to go smoothly. Levali internally acknowledged that Roar also held a longsword in his hands, meaning that the two of them might be called upon to rush in at the prey..

She heard them before she saw them, the squeaks of the seals filling the air as they lazed about on the shore. A moment of watching them revealed that they didn't seem to be doing much, but then again she was still kind of far.. Claw and Roar made their way up, using banks of snow as cover to hide their approach. When they reached the final bank only thirty feet away Claw one of the seals seemed to notice their approach, and glanced upwards at the pair of hunters. The girl froze in place, starring straight back at the seal as she held her breath. A second passed. Luckily the creature seemed to lose interest, and placed it's chin back against the ice that it lay upon. Levali released a small sigh of relief as she lowered herself fully behind the bank.. Too close.

In their crouching position, the pair waited for the signal that was to be given by Antler. At what seemed like the most inopportune time, the girl started to think of what she had even done with her horse back at the camp. Had she even tied it up? If she lost Welsh after all that talk at the start.. Gods. In any case there was little she could do about it now. Steel traded places with her right and left hands in anticipation for the kill. Did it feel this way every time a hunter was about to take his shot? She was well aware that most hunters used bows to take down prey.. Often the senses of the animals were too acute to allow for all but the most patient of people to even get close. These seals though were certainly an exception. Between the two of them they were actually fairly loud, which covered the sound of her steps from before. What kind of seal they were, the mason had no idea. Seals were seals, be them grey, black or white.

Off to the side Levali could spot the group of ranged hunters already in their assigned spot, and a few spear hunters on the opposite side of the prey - The west. If all went well then the arrows would kill or cripple the animals so that they could easily be collected by the melee groups, and the hunt would be a success. At such an angle with the prey so close to the water it was hard to say if even a good arrow would stop them long enough for her blade to get into range.. To combat this fact, Claw placed herself in a position in her crouch that would allow her to enter a full sprint in seconds.. Maybe the ice just happened to be less slippery over where she was going. Yeah, she'd go with that.
User avatar
Levali
Icebreaker
 
Posts: 44
Words: 48413
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2016, 4:11 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Alekxandra Winterflame on August 20th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Image
It was barely a bell into the hunt that Alek gave up on her human form. She had thought her nerves would settle once they were out into the wilderness, but deep down it seemed to be worse than before. Her human form felt far more vulnerable outside the walls despite the largeness of the hunting group. The knife did not give her any sort of comfort anymore–if nothing else it actually felt more like the foriegn weight it was on her belt.

So Alek hefted herself quickly into the back of the cart that carried their cooking supplies and stripped herself down as quickly as possible, stuffing her clothing into her pack swiftly as the cold air bit into her exposed skin. Alek silently thanked Morwen for the mark across the back of her left hand that eased some of the discomfort before she closed her eyes and let the shift come. The human one moment, a reddish blur of red fur the next.

Gracefully she lept from the cart causing a small explosion of snow and ice to fly into the air. Huffing softly, she shook out her fur and let took in her surroundings with far superior senses. Her nose twitched furiously as she took in the scents around her, the differences between each human within the group and even the hunting animals accompanying them, from horses to dogs.

It was her ears however that gave her the most details. She could pick the sounds of the feet moving through the snow. The different calls the hunters used to inform one another much sharper and clear now–even if she had no idea what they meant.

The sound of arrows and swords shifting caught her ears just as her nose began to pick up a smell that was not associated with the group. A smell she was actually familiar with as a cook, though it was not marked with the smell of death that she was used to. It wasn’t long after that her ears perked at the sound of squeals and grunts.

Seals.

Given their position in the back of the group, Alek silently mourned the fact she wouldn’t be able to pick out the tracks in the snow from the seals. Short of sight and sound, there wasn’t much she was able to pick up on the seals. The only thing she could really hold herself proud of was she could hear them long before anyone else.

Crouching low Alek followed Cerves behind a mound of snow seperate from the hunters. A different type of nerves began to spin in her stomach–the kind that urged her into hunt mode. These beasts were too large for her to take down and she knew it, but it didn’t stop the excitement from crawling across every inch of skin and fur from head to tail.

From their position the two of them remained downwind from the creatures but Alek had the perfect view of the archers and swordsmen readying to take down the fatty creatures. These two would give Cerves and her plenty to butcher that was for sure. The fat alone would be nearly be priceless, let alone the meat.

If the hunters were successful in killing even one of them that was.

Cerves sucked in a deep breath and Alek crouched further into the snow. Despite their cover, she knew her red fur did nothing to help her blend into the snow. Her muscles bunched in her legs on the ready despite having to remain still. Her ears twitched constantly, taking in all the sounds around her. The men, the beasts, and the prey.


Image
User avatar
Alekxandra Winterflame
Player
 
Posts: 102
Words: 109024
Joined roleplay: May 10th, 2016, 6:56 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Junco on August 26th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Image
The entire group was silent. They were hidden as of now behind a small hill of snow that had built. Even the horses knew that silence was mandatory. Bastian, at Junco's heels, knew the drill and was ready. his body was pointed and crouched, in a stance to jump forward towards the seals as soon as Junco let off his arrow. Bastian was well trained in hunting, and he knew what and when. He would be charging in with the rest of the melee hunters, human or not, aiming to grapple the animals, denying them escape and hopefully bite the death blow.

Of course with these two, relatively, small prey the arrows would finish them off hopefully, and they would have little need for melee. No matter, the melee would go in any way, just in case the arrows missed their targets. Junco himself was standing straight with his Inartian bow in hand. He reached down to his leg where he secured his quiver for easy access and pulled an arrow. A classic stone arrowhead with a simply white feather with a strip of blue to mark it his, probably from a snowbird, simple, but would do the job. He knocked it in his bow and held back the bottom of the arrow against the string. At Antlers command he, and the rest of the archers, raised their bows towards their targets, half to the first seal, half to the second, and pulled back their arrows in their strings.

Junco was aiming for the second seal, a fat tub of lard with a classic white and grey fur coat with black spots. It didn't look much different than the other except it was a bit larger, at least Junco would guess. Junco's aim was a little high as the animals were quite a ways away so they wouldn't notice the group. His arm began to quiver as the strings pull worked his muscles, but he stilled, waiting for the command.

Soon it came in the way of a quick, low whistle that rang out throughout the group. Junco let loose, immediately reaching for another arrow in his quiver to knock and aim again in case one tried escaping. He was not able to see where his arrow landed, but thats what the blue stripe was for, he would be able to see where his arrow fell and where it struck. Hopefully it would be the kill shot, but Junco doubted it.

As soon as the arrow in Juncos bow fled, so did Bastian. He took off sprinting towards the animals, quickly rivaling the melee hunters who ran after him, weapons in hand. The arrows came down before Bastian arrived and they hit their targets, a few landed in the snow, a shame on those hunters, Junco hoped it was not him. Bastian hit the animals second after the arrows. They were wounded at this point, but seemingly still alive. The second more than the first. Their calls of pain were awful but the hunters ignored it. This was the natural order. Bastian aimed for the second seal as Jucno did. He lept on it, fiercely tearing into its flesh as his paws scratched at the hide, trying to hold it in place.
Image
User avatar
Junco
Chris John Millington - Model
 
Posts: 124
Words: 83453
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2016, 10:14 pm
Location: Avanthal
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

The Coolwater Hunt

Postby Levali on August 31st, 2016, 5:07 am

Levali Rödal Iceglaze
Summer 516 AV

The fledgling hunter waited on the other side of the snowbank for some kind of signal.. Like an arrow, or a bird call. Seconds passed, her foot dug into the snow behind her as if ready to leap over the small hill at any moment and charge upon the unaware prey. The hunter beside her was equally as ready, and obviously much more focused than she was. While she could feel her heartbeat against her chest, Roar stayed still and calm beside her. If animals could smell fear, could they also smell nervousness? Just as the sword was passed back into her right hand for what felt like the millionth time a sharp, high pitched whistle was called.

That was the signal.

Claw shot out from behind her hiding spot, racing the arrows across the field to the prey which awaited her. ..If one counted being held down by a dog that had it's jaws into their flesh waiting, of course. Naturally, the small four legged creature was almost thrice as fast as any of the melee hunters. It caught up to the seal and bit it hard; Not only to injure it, but to keep it in place. This showed that the dog was well trained for hunting, and that the hunter certainly had picked a good match. If she recalled correctly, that hunter was Junco, and the dog was the one that had kept her company during the ride here. Gods, hopefully it wouldn't get hurt.

Several paces into her sprint, Claw arrived at the first seal who was smaller, though simultaneously racing for the edge of the ice. If this one was not dealt with, it would quickly escape; Even with the arrows that stuck out of it's fur. She aimed to intercept based on it's path and relative speed she observed, not that she consciously thought it through like that. Roar kept up pace with the mason turned hunter, matching if not slightly outpacing her speed despite her fully throttled running speed. But just as she arrived before the creatures, Levali had an idea. While her partner used his momentum to sprint forwards and bury his sword deep into the seal's flank, Levali dashed to the left at the last second and placed her feet flat against the ground, sliding to an icy stop about a foot in front of the creature with her sword drawn. If it would advance any further it could be sure that she would go for the neck. As far as she was aware that was the place to go, and the seal wasn't exactly going to parry or block it.

With her sword gripped in two hands, Claw sidestepped to block the creature that attempted to get around her. She could see the panic in it's eyes. The terrible squeals of suffering accompanied by it's bloodstained side as it dared to make it's escape. Rushing up towards her, the smaller of the two animals tried it's luck in simply pushing past the melee hunter; Just the maneuver she was hoping it would fall prey to. Her arms rose up and to the right of her shoulder before descending downwards into an arcing swing that was tempered by both the heat of the moment and her inexperience. This in turn had a poor effect on her precision, causing it to be rather wild compared to the precise target she had pictured in her mind. The blade crashed down on what would have been the middle of the seal's scull had it not seen the blow coming and moved to the side. Unfortunately for the animal, this did not help it's case in the slightest. In stretching it's neck to try and evade the attack it managed to find the area of the lower neck in place of where it's forehead used the be, resulting in an edge of steel penetrating the soft hide of the creature and sinking deep into it's neck.

As a mason and a wannabe Icewatch member, Levali had never actually cut into any living creature before. Compared to the force of her weapon, she found the body resisted her sword relatively little. It was unsettling to hear the cry of the smaller seal suddenly get cut off, and to look down only to find the entire width of her longsword wedged between two chunks of flesh inside the animal.. Claw heaved out her sword with a look somewhere between a glare of determined force, and a look of disgust. The deep orange of her eyes showing how her nervousness had melted into focus once she finally got moving. Apparently the force of the two handed swing had knocked the creature clean onto it's side.. Just by watching the desperate way it's chest rose and fall she could tell it was dying. There would be no escape for this one.

Claw pulled her sword out from the body as Roar finished the creature, allowing it to escape the pain of being hunted through death. For a second Levali just watched it, seeing the mark where Roar slit it's throat, (on the front of the seal rather than the side. Apparently that was much deadlier.) and almost waiting for it to get back up. It never did.

An arrow hissing just past her arm brought her back to the sudden realization that there was a second creature that still needed to be hunter. Clutching her weapon in hand once again, the girl swiftly turned towards the remaining action and prayed that dealing with the smaller seal hadn't lost them the larger, arguably more important prize.
User avatar
Levali
Icebreaker
 
Posts: 44
Words: 48413
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2016, 4:11 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests