Completed Pluck, Plink, Kaching (Gile)

[Summer- Year 516 AV] Help a poor girl earn money...or not--

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Pluck, Plink, Kaching (Gile)

Postby Kiera on August 16th, 2016, 5:34 am

Keira
28th Day of Summer, 516 AV

One, two, three. Run.

Four, five, six. Stop.

Seven, eight, nine. Run again.

Ten, eleven, twelve. Breathe.

In modulated quick steps, a figure slipped in and out of the shadows and weaved between the few people that populated the currently sparse streets of Kenash. The sun was just starting to dip under the horizon and the swampy city and its surrounding rivers, were bathed in glittering golds, russet, and pinks. Any peek of blue, seemed to be swallowed by the sunset. The picturesque view would have been a beautiful sight for those that were visitors, but in this particular case, the seemingly gentle scenery only served to surface emotions that danced on the edges of bitterness and disdain. To a little street-rat, living day by day on a knife’s edge, the city was nothing short of a dirty hell; corrupted to the bones by those who wanted power and carried on the backs of those it enslaved.

But this city was all Keira knew so it was home nonetheless.

Beneath the dwindling daylight of Kenash, the skittish teen continued to dart from building to building as she stuck to running between the overhangs of the homes and smattering of shops that lined the streets. This, was not where she wanted to be but it was the only path she knew the get to where she needed to go. It was the one street that would be the least populated at this time. Settled back in their home after a day of enjoyment and work, most people would be done for the day, and for those that were not, it would be a good hour before the ones that enjoyed and frequented the night would leave their abodes to play. This window of opportunity was the only grace period the mixed blood would have to travel in relative peace and not worry too much about attracting too much attention. It might have been an overly cautious move on her part but it had kept her alive thus far and she saw no pressing need to change the learned habit just yet. As it stood, it was also a nice break from the pressure of constantly being on guard. If it was not for her slowly dwindling Mizas’, Keira would not be this close to the busy center of town in the first place. There were too many risks, too many people, and even if she had been hiding for a year, there would always be a fear of being recognized and captured ingrained into her.

Glancing one last time at the path before her and at her surroundings, she bolted around the two straggling strangers before veering right and slipping into the entrance of the entertainment area of the town. Pausing to catch her breath, Keira rested her back against the wall, a salty bead dripped down her forehead. The thin sheen of sweat that coated her body caused her ragged dress to cling to her thigh and back. Another breath was taken, summer heat in the swamp was never kind. A backpack, was shrugged off and held in a loose grip as the dark haired girl walked deeper and deeper into the district. She would not stop until she found herself in a clear enough spot near a fountain to sit. Sleek black locks flowed as it was tugged out of its braid. The usually sleek strands were curled and wavy from the pressure in which they had been twisted with. Looking just a bit older with the mass of hair, Keira hoped that it would be enough to blur any notion of familiarity. She was well aware that there were a few people after her and before she reached her goal she had no desire to be caught.

The ebony haired girl settled onto the sun heated stone of the fountain. There was a little comfort to be had in the warmth. It reminded of simpler times and of gardens that always smelled of sweetness and earth. Small rough fingers reached into the ragged backpack to pull out something that was not as beaten up. Carved from wood and wound with gently frayed strings, a lyre was cradled against her lap. Care was taken as the item was tuned with practice. The soft clinks and plinks of pulled metal echoed across the space she occupied. It would be different than the humdrum of life and gossip about the area, soft and lilting, but clear. Another look was spared and a backpack was left open just a peek in askance for tips. It had been long since she played for another, but push had come to shove and Miza’s was Miza’s; she needed it.

The first verse played was littered with uncertainty. Clumsy, were the digits that fluttered across the wires. The second had more sureness and by the fifth, there was a steadiness that bodied some-practice. It was not good but it was not entirely too bad. For that little moment, Keira face soften as she unwittingly fell into memories. The soothing tinkle of the lyre would be heard for a long while yet. The waif of a girl would busk until it was unsafe to do so, or when her bag looked fluffed enough with coins .
Last edited by Kiera on August 19th, 2016, 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kiera
Player

Words: 39922
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2016, 7:08 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Pluck, Plink, Kaching

Postby Gile Askara on August 16th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Gile Askara

If one spends their morning at work, then should their afternoon not be spent in leisure?

Taking a stroll Gile admired the Sunset, evening was easily the most comfortable time of day in the city, the natural drone of the insects and bullfrogs making the evening hum it's own quiet melody. It was summer and that meant mornings were painfully humid and midday's sun would beat you down, but the evening, the evening was a time of quiet contemplation relaxation and satisfaction. It was also one of the few times of day where one could walk about the city without having to deal with merchants trying to sell you their wares. Smiling as he walked Gile looked for a distraction for the evening.

It came in the form of a petite musician, playing a Lyre. It was certainly not the best performance he'd ever heard but such a thing hardly bothered him, it was a simple tune plucked along to the beat of the surrounding nature. Or perhaps that was simply wishful thinking. Either way he liked the unobtrusiveness of a singular instrument. Approaching slowly as to not inturrupt the playing Gile would listen and wait until the girl with raven hair finished her melody.

Smiling Gile would produce from his pocket a Gold Miza. Holding it out to the girl with his usual smile he would grin before delivering one of his corny lines.

"Now normally tossing a Miza into a fountain is said to garner good luck and a wish, though in this case I'd consider it better spent in thanks for your performance."

with that he would softly toss the coin to the girl. Past that he would take a seat on the fountain as well and wait for the girls next move, not close enough to be a bother but close enough for a conversation to take place, Gile believed in personal space among strangers... usually. In this case he didn't want to come off as a threat to the younger woman so space was important.

"How long have you been playing for if you don't mind my asking? I think your music suits this evening well"

It however wasn't likely a bad idea to pay a compliment, after all nobody likes to be told that they are unpleasant and hopefully a question accompanied by a compliment would be a good conversation starter.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Words: 68493
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 11:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Pluck, Plink, Kaching

Postby Kiera on August 16th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Keira

There was a jolt as she was addressed. Crimson eyes peeked at the speaking form only to train down towards the golden Miza offered. Keira bit the inside of her cheek. That, was a generous pay, but the girl could not help but be wary. Her playing was nothing classy nor special. It was simple repetitive melodies that stemmed from memories and practice that were often more than not, skipped. A single gold Miza, was too much. Still, there would be no use to not accept it. She was in ways, desperate for Miza. It was what kept her fed, even if it was on fare that were less than sustaining. Ending the song and clumsily catching the tossed coin, the slip of a girl bounced it from palm to palm before turning it around to inspect. Instead of playing, she allowed herself a moment of rest before turning towards the stranger for a closer look. There was no denying that the person before her was attractive. She was not blind, nor was she one to think of denial when the truth was right in front of her. Yet as attractive as the man was, the lopsided smile put her on edge. Were people normally this smiley? A single year of sparse human interaction made it hard for her to give a sure answer.

She finally spoke. “In thanks, or in askance of me to quiet my performance?” There was amusement in her tone alongside the dryness in which she delivered it. True reason or not, in the end, it did not matter, she was getting what she needed.

Her eyes followed his form as he sat and she stiffened. Being near another person, even with a sizable space between them was odd to say the least. His question was answered by a soft snort of amusement. She took a second, to contemplate her answer before replying. “Long enough, to earn a single gold Miza apparently.” She flipped the coin with her finger again, marveling at the unique weight of the money. Slender fingers closed around the glittering object. “But, about two years now.” The first was spent lazily shying away from the lyre lessons, and the second, was spent on the run with a lot of regrets.

The round face canted to the side as the petite body turned towards the man. “What brings you out this fine evening?” She slipped the payment into the waist band fold of her tattering dress. “I hope it was not the horrible sound of my music.” Conversation slipped easily enough past her lips. Maybe, she hoped, she could earn a little more from this man if she kept a conversation up.
Last edited by Kiera on August 19th, 2016, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiera
Player

Character sheet

Pluck, Plink, Kaching

Postby Gile Askara on August 16th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Gile Askara

Their is something to be said for self deprecation, on one hand as a fomr of humor it is beneficial to all parties involved, after all, he who can laugh at himself, can laugh at anything. smiling at the girls reaction to him Gile shook his head thinking to himself that this one before him was in need of inspiration, or perhaps confidence. How to respond to her question though, the girls tone made him aware that she was a fragile being of sorts.

"In thanks... Their is a certain beauty in simplicity.. take for example the sound that accompanies your melody to understand my compliment, and my reason for paying you, and hopefully you'll understand my thoughts. so, your horrid music as you call it, is not nearly so poor as you may think, sure it lacks in refinement and grandeur, but.. their is still a beauty to it's simplicity.. the sounds around u brought me hear, not just your sound but, all of them. Listen if you will to the sound of the bullfrog yonder, he croaks the same tune, day in, and day out. Next to him sings the grasshopper, insensitively he chimes day and night in spite of those who would here him be silent. The birds sing their chirping tunes without pause. why because they must? Then why do you play? if you truly thought you sound miserable would you still share it with me? No somehow you I don't see you as the type to intentionally make dreadful sounds. In essence your simple melody is one of many simple melodies playing tonight, And together those simple melodies form a song, and beautiful music. I'm no musician and no expert on music, But in my humble opinion that Miza was more than worth it."

Standing as he spoke Gile gestured with his speech gesturing to the birds, the swamp, the swaying reeds in the water. His smile never faltered, it was his job to instill confidence in people to will their ills both mental and physical away, he hoped that he could reach the girl and that his thoughts could become her own. breathing a little heavily at the end Gile bowed to the girl after his small speech.

"So if you don't mind, will you join the band one more time for me this evening?"

With that he sat back down his words finished there was little more he could say or do, he simply would again take his place near her again and wait. His thoughts were conflicted he had lived in this city his whole life but their were times when he feared that he was the only one that saw wonder in each day, as if everyone who shared his home had gone blind to the world right before him, so many different sensations wrapped themselves around you each day, warm air, cool rain, bird songs, sand beneath your feet, the smell of sweet tobacco. Kenash had to many things in it to ignore, and yet that myriad of sensations was so easily lost among the multitudes of struggles in life. it was a shame but if Gile could share a little bit of his vision each day, then he was happy.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Pluck, Plink, Kaching

Postby Kiera on August 16th, 2016, 10:47 pm

Keira

Maybe her words and voice had been misinterpreted but Keira had not expected the man next to her to go into a rather passionate speech about grandeur and beauty of the world. She had been joking about her skill –or more accurately the lack there-of on the most part. She did not hold enough pride to be delusional enough to imagine herself with a skill she very well knew she could have been better in. Plus, it seemed like her attempt at a joke was completely missed. She was also quite sure she had not called her music horrid. As the man’s enthusiasm continued, she felt her lips turn up into a smile. She spoke when he finished. “I see. Thank you then, for your honest thoughts.” Even if she thought they were a bit outlandish and even childlike if she was being honest. He seemed to be able to see all the brightness and beauty in Kenash but…she could not, not anymore. Maybe, if this man had met the girl she was just two years ago, the then her, might have shared the same thoughts and ideas. But now, curbed by just the harshness of the world and the stings the marshes had to offer, Keira could only eye things with a blunt practicality. Yes, there was beauty to be found but prettiness in a bullfrog, the singing of a grasshopper, they were not things that would keep one fed. There was a sudden stab of annoyance coursing through the mixed-blood’s system. Did the person even understand the hardship the world offered? Probably not, she answered to herself. He sounded like quite the entitled one. Yet, even as she thought this, Keira smiled and kept her opinions shut though. She was not about to ruin the kindness she had been offered.

She gave a sigh and nodded her head. The waterfall of inky black hair fluttered at the movement. “If that is what you want?” She saw no harm in indulging this particular stranger in this endeavor. It was all harmless fun anyways.

Again, her fingers plucked at strings with a familiar melody, at least to her. It was something her mother had played to her a long time ago, something that she wished she could have heard again. The
Vantha lullaby was something that was ingrained into Keira. She may have not learned the song in full but at the very least, she could mimic the sounds she could remember. This time about, the song was rougher and much more hesitant, as if its player was searching for the right tone of the instruments. That, was not far from the truth anyhow.
Kiera
Player

Character sheet

Pluck, Plink, Kaching

Postby Gile Askara on August 16th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Gile Askara

For the first time that evening Gile frowned, the girl played indeed, and for lack of the hesitation for lack of the way the girl played pluckily and unsteady Gile was not displeased, the song was alright but Gile found himself unable to enjoy the Rhythm, It was missing something, and watching the girl play Gile knew why his heart hurt when she played. She sighed when she played her face an emotionless mask, Even an infant that banged senselessly would have been more entertaining if the infant was expressing joy while doing so. Gile was unsure if he could enjoy anything so soulless, to him, music was more about emotion and feeling, if you weren't joyful when you played how then could those who listened be joyful, if you were sad when you played so to would that emotion reach the audience.

When the girls music ended Gile looked at her wearing his smile but found himself unable to hold it, instead he gave her a sad look and shook his head.She was not just some struggling musician, she was someone who was unable to find happiness as easily as he, perhaps she had let the agony of living get to her? Perhaps there was more. He did not know but knew better than to pry. That said, he decided then and their that the girl would give him a genuine smile before the evening was over. He just needed to figure out what it would take. Perhaps he could steal from her some of her sadness, and replace it with some of his own happiness, he was no miracle worker but he understood the human heart well enough to know it's darkness, and, it's light.

"If I might beg your pardon miss, I realize now... that I've been unpleasant. I do so tend to get carried away and forget the thoughts of others in my haste. If I might make it up to you, would you accompany me for the evening? I can promise at the very least a meal, in part an apology, and in part in thanks for indulging me as you have."

Yes that would do, a meal people were more keen to be happy with full stomachs. Though what else could he do for her, their must be a way to put icing on such a cake, a surefire shot to the girls heart. he would certainly have time over the evening to decide on something, though then again, he didn't know a damned thing about this girl, and yet he felt something magnetic about her, from her dark red eyes to her somber aura. He felt a near unmistakable urge to do something for the girl. Perhaps if fate had been cruel to her he could start the cogs of the divine spinning in reverse for the child of he looked for a way to do so. Smiling ruefully Gile reminded himself he was no hero, he wasn't going to save any lives, but, maybe he could improve one.

"Oh.. again I must apologize, My name is Gile, and it's nice to meet you."

He wouldn't ask the girl her name it was her place to offer if she felt the desire to do so. Once more he placed the ball in her court. More Gingerly this time, he was afraid that if he acted any more forcefully than he already had he might break her.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Pluck, Plink, Kaching

Postby Kiera on August 17th, 2016, 6:29 am

Keira

Slowly becoming aware of the other’s dissatisfaction, Keira merely sat still and stared at the other man, he was a lot quieter than he had been before and she could not quite place her finger on just why. She did what he had requested and played as well as she knew how, so just what was wrong? She fell into silence save for the occasional plinking of a string as she ran her finger across her instrument in nervousness. There was just something a bit eerie of watching someone that was boisterous just seconds before turn more somber. She was unsure of where her blunder laid but kept quiet about it. She was still wary despite how pleasant he had been. The offer, was met with her eyes being blown wide. Pink lips fell open in the moment of shock. Had she heard that correctly? Crimson eyes narrowed as they peered at the other. This person was full of surprises. There was only one thing she could ask and it spilled from her lips easy enough.

“Why?”

Why was this stranger being kind? What did he want? Why was he even doing this in the first place? Why was he suddenly being so much…gentler? The questions rang loudly in her head and the placid face she wore slipped. The frown that took place was minimal but it was there nonetheless. She was very confused. There was nothing she could quite think of that could explain this sudden behavior unless it had been something she had said? But she did not think that was quite it either. She continued to stare at the stranger. The last year had taught her to be wary and even though the offer provided was tempting, she knew better than to show her face around for too long much less in a place that was as populated as a diner so to speak. That, was just common sense when one was technically a fugitive. The smile turned wry for a second as she shook her head.

“Thank you for the offer, but I can’t afford to do that. Even though it sounds fun.” She was not going to deny that company would be nice once in a while. There was just not many opportunity to talk to people in her day to day life. She even kept her conversation at the stalls where she bought her gears and mediocre food supplies to a minimum out of wariness. She continued to speak, hoping to not offend him as she declined the offer. “And you did nothing wrong, you offered me some of you time and it was…unique. Good.” Everyone had their own quirks and this person was quite the character. She could not remember if she had ever met someone like him.

Teeth caught on bottom lip as Keira worried it. “Gile…”She murmured it once and then twice to try to commit it to memory. She would try to keep him in her memories. There was yet another pause as she mulled over her other options. “Keira, my name is Keira. Thank you, for being nice.” He earned her name at the very least. This time, when her smile widened it was filled with genuine thankfulness. She had not realized how lonely she had been until she had a little bit of this wayward companionship. In this situation, a little went a long way. Placing her lyre back into her bag, the girl stood up and brushed off the dirt from the back of her skirt. She stood there, not quite knowing what to do next. Leaving now, did not feel quite right, but staying was not safe either.
Kiera
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gile Askara on August 17th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Gile Askara

If talking to people was an art form, then Gile was a blind painter with no hands. The girl was flighty in a sense, though weren't most women around strange men? Was Gile a strange man? The thought made him chuckle mentally, it was likely that he was. But how could he keep her with him for an evening, well, he wasn't a gambler, but Gile had an idea that might work. He didn't like using force, not directly anyways. When you give people a choice they tend to choose well, especially when the choice given can prove beneficial to them. With that in mind Gile decided to force an ultimatum. It was not perhaps the nicest tool to use when trying to find a favorable conversational outcome, but it was effective.

As he was slowly planning how to pull the girl out of her shell something mildly amazing took place when she spoke. her initial rejection of his offer and her statement that he had not wronged her ha told him that she had reasons behind her reservations. The she told him her name, Keira, and thanked him for his kindness. Gile arched an eyebrow at the thanks. He was not kind, he was simply doig what he felt needed to be done, had the girl ruined his evening with dreadful noise he would have told her so, though, she hadn't, so he wouldn't. For the same reason he wanted to keep her around, he wanted to selfishly enjoy her company and he'd pay a price to do so, if only he could find that price.

"I'm not too particularly kind I don't think, I simply believe in seeing the best potential come forth from each and every thing I come across. I felt that I could expect much from you. So I've told you so, and I've enjoyed your company thus far. This said, I'm not keen to linger here much longer this evening. So, let me inform you of what I will be doing with the rest of my evening, I will be visiting a few stalls on my way home, I quite enjoy window browsing the wares that this city has to offer. While I do that i will be purchasing my dinner for the evening. However during this time I occasionally tend to over purchase food items... Had I a companion for the evening I would not have to worry about such issues, as I'd have someone to share with... But alas. I'll be traveling alone this evening unless someone volunteers to spend time with me on such a fine evening."

This would be delivered semi seriously with a tint of sarcasm layered over it. Gile would particularly play up the Oh woe is me aspect near the end of his spiel. At the end of his little performance he would wink at her and give her a teasing smile.

"Keira, I bid you Adieu, Or do I"

The last little part was delivered with a smile and bow. With that Gile turned on a heel and began walking not looking back. He did not want to force his hand any further than he had, if he could not influence those around him without the aid of magic he had little place trying to do so with it. With that in mind Gile mustered his self control and didn't look back when he started walking. He kept a slightly slow even pace that would make him fairly easy to follow, after maybe a minute of strolling Gile approached a food stall selling kebabs, meat and veggies on a stick, Gile could easily eat two in a sitting, but keeping his bait in mind, he bought 4.

Upon making the purchase Gile would turn around and look for his new acquaintance. If he saw her He would hand her a pair of the Kebabs. This would be fallowed by a smile and a greeting of, "Oh hey Keira, nice to see you here, It seems Iv'e bought more than I need, I hope you can help me out."

If he did not see her he would shrug, he'd have to find her later after finding a way to eat four kebabs. Either way his evening would be spent actively.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kiera on August 18th, 2016, 2:00 am

Keira

A fine brow raised and for once, Keira’s face stopped bearing a wary look, instead it was filled with full blown confusion. This person, was stranger, but then again, were the wealthy and to-do people ever normal? She eyed him and his clothes once again before biting on her lips. She was no stupid enough to be oblivious to the bait he was tossing, she was only curious about why he was so insistent on her company. They barely exchanged words in her opinion. Standing there, the girl clung to rough edges of her dress as she eyed him. Her mind told her to run, to turn and skitter back to where she knew she would be safer, but the other part, the one that will still a lonely teen, told her that it was okay to indulge just this once. How often did a stranger offer to feed her anyways? The answer came easy enough. Zero. Everyone here seemed to work in their own little world and usually, that world did not involve another.

“You…” She hissed before moving to rub her face in frustration. This person, so eccentric were his actions.

Crimson eyes narrowed as she watched the other walk away. Her lips stung from where it was constantly bit and her stomach grumbled. She shushed her traitorous body and gave up fighting the urge for sustenance and a little bit more companionship. She skittered off and after Gile. One food item, she swore to herself, just one food item and if anything seemed suspicious she was going to bolt. Her stomach rumbled again in acceptance of the compromise. It craved something other than the nuts and dried fruits she managed to procure with her dwindling funds. As she continued to move to catch up, she let the thoughts that she kept at bay earlier to surface. Though she had this man’s name, she had no idea who he was and why would he even bother being entertained by her in the first place. To be honest, the mixed-blood was afraid to ask. Not a lot of people can afford to toss money like he did. He was either a very well off child of a merchant, a merchant himself, or…she did not want to contemplate the last thought even if it was very likely. She was still very much bitter towards the Dyanasties, her dynasty in particular. But to the slender girl, they were all in the same. Power hungry fools that had no qualms about destroying others to get to the top.

Maybe her thoughts were twisted, maybe they were biased, either way, Keira did not mind them in the slightest. They were the only company she had for the past year. All she cared about now was fixing the gaping ache left behind due to her deceased family and vengeance, seemed like a good enough start. Getting closer and closer, the dark haired girl eventually slowed her steps to allow herself time to look around the area. Thankfully, people were just starting to come out of their homes and it was not too crowded. She reached out for the offered kebabs with a nod. “Thank you…again.” She was starting to feel like she owed Gile a favor for doing this. She was unused to occurring debt and mentally noted herself to pay it off as soon as she could.

She took a bite of the food and coughed. This, was so much more seasoned than the fare she was normally used too. Charred meat scraps were nothing compared to fresh food. Small hands pounded against her chest. “Excuse me.” It took a lot of willpower to not simply devour what she was given in one go but the meat and vegetables were just so good. She took another bite and this time hummed with delight. This, was well worth the risk she took. There was a bit of cheer to be had with food, the feeling of warmth it brought, and a satisfied stomach. As she continued to eat, Keira looked just a bit brighter. “This…is good.” There was an innate manner to be found in the way she covered her mouth as she spoke. Some things, were just too hard to forget in just a year. “Really good.”
Kiera
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gile Askara on August 19th, 2016, 5:00 am

Gile Askara

It was always pleasant to be right, today the gamble had payed off and he'd managed to hold onto a companion for the evening. Loneliness is an interesting condition, some handled it better than others but almost any normal person will crave companionship in some form at some point or another. It was a sturdy enough concept to base assumptions off of at the very least. Gile smiled when he watched the girl eat he hadn't been wrong about her, her slightly tattered appearance. She wasn't as financially secure as he was, though, it wasn't quite like he'd had a terribly hard time getting what he had. Not that his future was secured. He was by no stretch of his imagination an heir to the dynasty, like his father he didn't even have a room at the plantation. He'd been raised outside of the plantation he'd only been to the plantation on a few special occasions.

That said he still had the name, and with it a better chance at an easy life than a freeborn, he'd been given the chance for his own business, and through that he was able to pursue a career that he enjoyed, as a masseuse he was able to make people feel good, and that in turn brought him satisfaction, it was an easy enough job and since he enjoyed it it never really felt like he was working.

Strolling on not sticking around the stall for long Gile looked over the girl, it would be presumptuous to try and buy her new clothing, even if he wanted too, after all nobody so pretty deserved to wear rags, yet a truly attractive person can look fine in rags or silks, the girl was a point in case.

So what could he do that would not make her much more uncomfortable but that could also improve her life as a performer? As he was walking he caught the sound of a particularly interesting conversation.

"What do you mean these ribbons are worth five Mizas?"

"I mean exactly what i said, these ribbons are made from the finest materials Kenash has to offer, So of course they are worth every Miza, just look at them"

I don't care were the materials came from, no strip of cloth is worth five Mizas to anyone"

"Well that's where you're wrong, anyone from Kenash can tell you that we grow the best cotton in the world, people travel from all over to Kenashian cotton, course a foreigner wouldn't know anything about that"

"So your telling me that any passerby is willing to pay that kind of price for a damnable ribbon"

"That's exactly what I'm saying, though I'm not even sure you're worthy of my wares, for you someone who'd deny their quality, It'll be Six mizas"

You must be joking, there is no you can expect these to be worth that.

"Oh, but I can, and I do, that Or I expect you to leave"

What an intriguing conversation to listen too, of course it wasn't too surprising Kenash was a place that thrived on trade, but at the same time, many Kensashians were xenophobic, never particularly friendly towards those with odd accents or obvious evidence that they weren't from around. It was a unique thing really, even when their were dynasties for most different cultures, those dynasties had distanced themselves from their brethren and proudly wore the banner that marked them Kenashian.

Approaching the stall Gile glanced over the wares, he immediately knew that he didn't know a thing about the fabric. In fact as far as materials went he didn't know if cotton from kenash had a single difference from cotton anywhere else. That said he didn't mind lying and pretending he did, he just needed to figure out his bluff. Strolling up Gile assumed a calm smile and pretended that he hadn't heard a thing.

"Good evening my friends, I just saw you two having an animated session of bartering, and well, if it theres something worth trading over here, welp I'd make a poor merchant to not see what the hot item was."

Thus the game was afoot. Picking up one of the ribbons, Gile ran it across his fingers it was a smooth red ribbon, like the crimson sun that set in the background.

"This is indeed of good quality, what's your asking price? It's what, one gold Miza, I've seen lesser quality go for around a couple silver, but in this case this one must be worth a gold right?"

Looking over to gile the foreigner frowned and spoke, "Fraid not, he's asking five Gold for it"

At this Gile laughed out loud, He could probably get the ribbon cheaper somewhere else but, he was no invested on principal. Letting his laugh come from his stomach Gile chuckled like it was the funniest joke he'd heard all day.

Then he turned his glare to the shop owner, smiled, and turned on the djed. Staring him directly in the face while smiling Gile fixed him with a smile and the angriest glare he could muster using his magic to make the man realize that Gile was not one to be teased or trifled with, He looked like a Kenashian that was mighty until he met with someone mightier. He felt like the type he could get to lick his boots if he wanted.

"You really are to funny, friend, you must be new to Kenash, it's a tradition to tease newcomers, this man wasn't going to let you walk away paying five mizas for a ribbon."

Then Gile looked back to the man and pulled a little more Djed into his mouth, swishing it across his tongue to charge his next word, willing it to bring out the man's more amiable side

"Right?"

Sweating the rather portly shopkeeper looked from Gile to the foreigner. then smiled and chuckled, it was a little fake sounding but the man seemed to have admitted defeat.

"Yes, yes. we do so love our japes in Kenash"

Taking the Red Ribbon Gile handed the man a Miza, assuming that Kiera was watching Gile stuck a tongue out at her and winked. Walking away rapidly Gile wasn't interested in how that situation was going to resolve itself but Gile didn't want that merchant to have time to follow him.

"Lets keep moving ey? Anywhere you wanna go? Oh and like I was saying, I like to see the best in Everyone"

As they rounded a Corner Gile would turn around and give Keira the red Ribbon and grinned at her.

"Wouldn't you say that I just brought the best out of that fatty too? Of course here I am pestering you all evening, so,if you want to repay me, you'll share your thoughts on our lovely city, a City of beautiful sunsets and the finest human scum that can be found anywhere, Oh and can i tell you a secret. I don't know anything about ribbons so you'll have to tell me if that ribbons was really worth five coins"

At this Gile laughed, he liked showing off a bit and today had been a good day, he was riding a high that he hoped would carry him to bed that evening.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next