Completed Pluck, Plink, Kaching (Gile)

[Summer- Year 516 AV] Help a poor girl earn money...or not--

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Pluck, Plink, Kaching (Gile)

Postby Kiera on August 19th, 2016, 7:07 am

Keira

Keira was admittedly in the lushest land as she delved into the savory decadence that was her second helping of skewers. Her taste buds protested a bit at the sudden increase of flavor but the famished girl did not care. This, was too good to pass up. So instead of talking, she kept her mouth stuffed and sped along after Gile as he moved. Her already round cheeks rounded a bit more as she chewed. There was eye widening and a pause in her step as she watched him move to another stall, and not just that, interact with other people. Sliding behind his larger form, she bit down on a morsel and peeked from his side. What was he even doing?

Her question was answered soon enough as she continued to listen to them as she gorged and followed after him. For the briefest moment though, she was captivated by the ribbons. The one that was used earlier to keep her hair in tis braid was shoved deep away in her bag but it was also the only one she had from her home. Her mother and father, had loved to give her ribbons, to adorn her hair with it and simply spend time together like that. Her heart clenched and the container that held the food crinkled in her grip. She missed them, so badly sometimes. Shaking her head, she pushed the thoughts aside to peer up at Gile and then at the stall and then back at the man. Did he like ribbons or something? She snickered a little at the image of bright colored ribbons hanging from little tails from his head. She muffled herself before observing once again.

She blinked and squinted. Had ribbons always been that expensive? She remember being given handfuls of them but then again, her family had been well off. The crimson eyes peered at the item. Rip-off. Who would pay that much for something that could be so easily damaged and dirtied to the point where it had to be tossed. She bit her cheek and tensed just a bit more when Gile spoke. His voice was not what surprised her, it was more about the expression he bore on his face. He looked very, very, serious. Crimson eyes turned serious as they took in everything. Gile…was not normal, not normal at all.

His wink was returned with furrowed brows and a tilt of a head. She was curious, excited, and terrified at once. In silence, she teetered off after him as he moved away. A curious glance was given back towards the obviously flummoxed stall owner and then back to the back of the stranger she was spending her time with. She shook her head, forgetting that he could not see her but at the very least, verbally answered. “I don’t have anywhere I want to go, do you?” She content as is. Humming just a bit, she took aim at a waste basket and tossed the empty food tray away.

This time, she stuttered a bit when he gave her the ribbon. He had paid a Miza for it and as a street rat, she was well aware of how pricy that was. Her mouth opened and closed. Then opened and closed again. ”Y-you’re not a normal person are you Gile.” It was becoming clearer –just what Gile was. Prejudice reared its venomous head and Keira wrestled it away for once. She shook her head to clear her thoughts and then spoke. She was going to give this person a chance. He did not give her a reason otherwise. She could only hope that this choice would not come back and haunt her.

What she said next, was said in entire seriousness. “Never, ever, by a ribbon for 5 coins. Even 1 gold MiZa is too much.” Too much for a strip of cloth with no patterns. “A few silver ones at most…” Pure cotton or not, they were situated in a land that was aplenty with them, should it not be cheaper actually? Her voice softened as she pulled at her gift and used it to loosely tie her hair back into a ponytail. She would have loved to weave it into her locks, but it would be a waste to dirty something so pretty. A sense of nostalgia enveloped her as she worked and spoke. “As for…my thoughts on our lovely city…” She trailed off again, suddenly hesitant at sharing her thoughts in full. Maybe though, a little peek would be enough. “I think it can use some…improvements to be more…inclusive of everyone.” A place where rank did not matter but simply skill. Where one’s individual worth is just valued by how hard they worked. Where even a slave could be seen as human and not a tool. Where families did not have to vie for power because it would not matter.

“What about you though, how do you see this beautiful dirty city?” She truly, wanted to know.
Kiera
Player

Words: 39922
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2016, 7:08 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Gile Askara on August 19th, 2016, 7:57 am

Gile Askara

The girl was staying with him, and for that he was thankful, it had been a while since he'd spent time with someone that wasn't a client or family, just another Human who didn't know him, of course his vanity had it's price, the look the girl gave him let him know that. The look she'd given him confirmed that his behaviour had confused if not scared her. He heard her admit that she didn't have anywhere to go so it seemed he'd continue to take the lead for the evening. He pondered how to answer some of the questions she shot at him and he decided that he would be better off to not answer all of them in public. If she didn't mind sticking with him a while longer However he could likely tell her anything she wanted to know about himself.
He would however Give her a mild answer that would sate her curiosity long enough for them to go somewhere more quiet.

"Well, Keira.. I'd like to think I'm about as normal as you, though Normal is a pretty hard word to figure out"

"Though as for one Miza being too much, it's probably true, I really don't know much about that kind of thing, However, I think that it was worth it, not only did I get to give a pretty girl a gift, I think I helped that foreigner save himself at least four mizas, so for one coin I've managed to help two people for me, that is a win. "

Gile pondered how to answer the girl about his feelings on the city. It was a difficult thing to answer, his opinion was not a popular one among slaves or His peers, slaves were, well the backbone of society, and it would take a whole lot to change that. But Gile had a firm hatred for the Radacke, the bastard slave breakers. Gile wanted peace, and for everyone to share his vision, but he wasn't near powerful or influential enough to change a thing. So, he shrugged.

"If you don't mind, My apartment is close by. If you'll allow it I'd love to share a glass of tea with you and give you my opinions, I can even show you what I do for a living. That said, I don't feel quite the safest admitting my opinions on my lovely city in public."

This was followed by a wink and his usual smile. The girl was in part still a stranger so he could not decry her for denying his invitation. But if she would accompany him he'd happily spend the entire length of the evening enjoying her time. there was something to be said for her, it made him happy to see here wear the ribbon he got her and it made him a little sad to see that there was something akin to fear in her eyes when she looked at him. Maybe it had been to long since he'd had a friend or something like that and he was growing too easily attached. But, where was the harm in letting someone into your heart and home every now and then. A lot of people liked Gile, his magic made it so, but maybe for once he could make someone like him without twisting his words or twisting their hearts.

If the Gilr Acquiesced he'd stop at one more stall and lead her to his small home that he was living in while his store was being built and furbished for his business to open, for the time being he merely had a small rented room, but it was enough for two to have company.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Words: 68493
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 11:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kiera on August 19th, 2016, 8:25 am

Keira

Keira rocked on the heels of her foot as she waited for a response. What she got though, was not something she expected. His reply was normal, if not a bit sly and that made her pout. She may have been just a little bit excited to know what he was going to say. Her mouth opened to give a short retort but what was said after words made her eyes widen and her cheeks flush with pink as he lips sealed shut. That…no…he just did not. Slender but worn fingers moved to hide a warming face. “P-pretty--.” She echoed the words with a stutter. She was not pretty! She was grimy, probably smelled like swamp, and caked with dirt. This person was just – She made a noise of confusion and embarrassment all in one. “I…” She floundered on words before giving up. “You. Are. Nice.” He was really, really nice. Intention wise so far anyways.

Peeking from between her fingers, Keira took a few calming breath before lowering them and starting at Gile and contemplating his offer. He truly, had been a kind presence in her life tonight but she was and could not, accept this offer even though she was curious enough to want to know what he would have said seeing as it was not something that could have been said in now. She looked up at the darkened sky then back at Gile. She had stayed long enough in this city and as an unmarked, it was dangerous. She gave him a smile and patted her now full tummy.

“I think, I will have to decline the invitation for tea today but, can I walk you home?” There was an air of lightness to the minute ribbing she doled. That would be the full extent she would go tonight. There were benefits, in knowing where he lived but she was not comfortable enough to step foot in a stranger’s home, nor was she comfortable enough to take up more of his time. He had indulged her too much and she one day hoped to repay the favor. One day, she mentally swore, she hoped she would be able to repay his kindness.

The sight of his home despite its size was enough for the girl to mentally admit that he was Dynasty. A well to-do individual, able to take care of himself, lives on his own, and pay for others meant that he could afford to do so. Merchants were not richer than Dynasty members and merchants, were not kind to those that could not afford their wares. That was just a simple rule of thumb. Then again, today had proven that there were exceptions to that rule. The day, had been enjoyed thoroughly but it would leave Keira with a lot of thoughts.
Kiera
Player

Words: 39922
Joined roleplay: July 29th, 2016, 7:08 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Gile Askara on August 19th, 2016, 8:51 am

Gile Askara

Gile smiled, he'd lost this particular battle today. Of course he was aware that his chances hadn't been the best. After all the things you want the most have a tendency to be the most illusive. He wasn't surprised by her answer, but he was a little disappointed none the less. Swallowing his disappointment he put his grin back on and looked her over once more. She was not perhaps the most confident, but not too many were, he could help her with that if she let him though, perhaps at a later date. Shrugging he decided that he had enjoyed his evening enough that he shouldn't have any complaints at all, though in many cases more tends to be better.

"Yes, pretty, some might even say beautiful, It's not the clothes that make the man, as some might say, but the woman that makes the clothes, and the way I see it you could pull anything you set your mind too off"

As the walked Gile fingered the key in his pocket.debating if he trusted the girl or not. He wanted to, after all if people were not worth trusting then was life even worth living? It was a lonely thought but he didn't have the feeling like the girl who walked next to him bore him any truly ill intentions. After a few more minutes of walking Gile approached the apartments he called home. Turning on his heel he looked at the girl, red eyes, red ribbon, dirt smudged visage and rosy cheeks, and at that moment he was unsure than any makeup clad vixen in Kenashe's finest brothels looked more fun to spend an evening with. She was wild in a way many weren't she had a bit of a mysterious dangerous quality to her that made her someone that he would enjoy being around. Pulling the key from around his neck He held out his hand and gave it to her.

"It's door number three, feel free to bother me any time. And, I want you to promise me that if you need something, or get into trouble that you can't scrape your way out of, these filthy streets are lonely and scary sometimes. It's always good to know that someone else can have your back.... No matter their past, or future."

With that Gile turned back around not giving the girl a chance to try to return the key or reply to him. He figured she'd make the right choice and that he'd see her again. As he walked into his home he smiled the entire time. In his eyes, he'd made a friend worth having that day.

Gile Askara
Minor manipulator

Words: 68493
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2015, 11:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Konrad Venger on September 9th, 2016, 6:21 am

Nice job! Your work has pleased The Sloth!

Keira

XP:
Disguise - 1
Musical Instrument (Lyre) - 2
Socialization - 2
Observation - 2

Lore:
Music: Vantha Lullaby
Gile: Pleasant but a Little Odd
Gracefully saying "No"
Never Turn Down Free Food

Additional:

Gile

XP:
Observation - 2
Socialization - 2
Rhetoric - 3
Hypnotism - 1

Lore:

Additional:
Music for it's own Sake
Keira: Sad Girl making Beautiful Music
Manipulation through an Easy Choice

Click Me! :
This was an unusual but intriguing little story, and I liked it. Gile is hard to figure out: he has good intentions but still kinda sees people as amusing puzzles or toys. Kiera, you did a good job depicting you waif as rightly suspicious in that street rat way of hers. Smart lady.

Be mindful of spelling and grammar errors, there were more than a few here, especially from Gile. Oh, and remember to keep to the setting: "Adieu" is French, and thus wouldn't be known in Mizahar.

Deduct the money from your Ledger, Gile. A good investment in the future, I think.

Oh, and please make sure you go back and edit your post in the Request Thread to reflect the fact this one is now done and dusted. PM me with any questions and later 'tater!

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4