Completed Drinking Sorrows Away

Job Thread - Deliath encounters a man who's had a rough day

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Drinking Sorrows Away

Postby Deliath on November 15th, 2016, 8:21 am

75 Fall 516

Deliath frowned as she woke from her sleep. She'd been dreaming of unusual things, and people she briefly recognised from her time at the Pigs Foot Tavern had been involved in them. It appeared that her job was affecting her mind now, although that wasn't necessarily a bad thing.
Her job as a barmaid wasn't as stressful as other jobs, she imagined, and she thoroughly enjoyed meeting new people.

Quickly, her frown turned into a smile as she climbed out of her bed and walked over to kneel by a bowl of water she'd left on the floor of her apartment, before she cupped the water in her hands and splashed it over her face, rubbing it away with her hands to clean her face.

Sighing, she stood up again, grabbing her usual clothes and throwing them on, before standing up and touching the back of her neck and attempting to straighten her back without success. It did elongate somewhat, but it was very uncomfortable and almost painful, and with her limited medical knowledge, she didn't want to risk any permanent damage.

Sighing again, she opened the door to her apartment and set out into Sunberth, putting one foot in front of the other at a quick pace.
She had never felt as though she was in danger in Sunberth but she didn't want to dawdle to work. That was how most people ended up getting into altercations with others.

At her pace, she arrived at The Pigs Foot Tavern in hardly any time at all, and soon she was in the Tavern, preparing to start her shift.
Another girl was already there, wiping down tables and the bar, and cleaning the filthy glasses that had been left on the bar. Deliath nodded a greeting to her, before taking a look around.

There were a few tables that the girl hadn't got to yet, and there were few customers, so with a smile on her face Deliath made her way around the tavern and picked up the glasses. In each hand she found that she could carry at least three, maybe four if she was careful. It took three trips to clear the tables of glasses and place them on the bar for the other girl to clean, before Deliath took a damp cloth herself and began wiping the tables down, clearing the sticky fluids that had been left behind from when their customers had spilt small amounts of the drinks down the sides of the glasses.

Smiling slightly she began wiping each of the tables in a circular motion until the liquids and sticky patches of the table had been removed then she'd go to the bar to rinse the filth from the cloth, then wring it out to go on to the next table.
She worked quickly and finished wiping the tables just as the other girl finished cleaning the glasses.

“Can yer watch bar for me? I ‘ave t’ check kitchen.” the girl said as Deliath nodded.
”Of course.” Deliath smiled sweetly, scurrying over to the bar and standing watch over it as the other girl left.

It was fairly quiet compared to other days, but Deliath wasn't particularly unhappy about that.
She spent a good few minutes just wandering up and down the bar checking that everything was in place and that everything was clean, and it seemed that the other girl had done a fairly good job.

She was beginning to bored though, and began to feel as though the day was going to be far too long due to a lack of customers.
Sighing, she examined her hands with a slight frown before looking up to see that someone had entered the tavern, and she couldn't help but grin and lean against the bar, tilting her head to look at the man.

”Hi there! Welcome to the Pigs Foot Tavern!” she spoke cheerily as the man came to sir at the bar.
The man look miserable, his face twisted into a frown and his head rested on his hands. He also seemed to have several scars on his face, along with a receding hairline, several teeth missing, and a few fresh bruises covering his head, although that wasn't anything unusual.

“A mug of ale please.” He mumbled as he placed his miza on the bar, and Deliath smiled and nodded, before grabbing a clean mug from under the bar and filled it until it was almost overfilling, before handing it to the man and taking his Miza, not before accidentally spilling a small amount of ale onto her thumb
Then she cleaned her hands to get the ale off her thumbs, before turning to the man.

”Rough day, huh?” she asked, tilting her head as she stared at the man, trying to work out what had upset him so much.
“Yer could say tha’” the man responded shaking his head downtroddenly. “Turns ou’ me wife ‘as been around. An’ some of her ‘friends’ ain't ‘appy that I'm ‘ere!” the man exclaimed, half angry, half dismayed.
”Ah, I see why you aren't so happy then.” she nodded as she thought to herself. She hadn't really heard any stories like that before, so she didn't know how to empathise with him. ”Is that where they came from, if you don't mind me asking?” she asked, gesturing towards her own face, hoping that the man would realise that she was speaking about his bruises.
“Bruises? Yer, they came for me. No’ long before they'll be on their way t’ Sahova.” The man grinned and Deliath opted to ignore the open threat towards whoever it was that was coming after him, after all, death seemed impossible to the people of Sunberth for now. Too many executions had ended with the 'criminal' still alive.

Word CountThis post: 965
Total: 965
Last edited by Deliath on December 1st, 2016, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any speech in bold is Common
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Anything in italics are thoughts
Deliath
Read profile for details of hiatus

Words: 73363
Joined roleplay: August 26th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Drinking Sorrows Away

Postby Deliath on November 24th, 2016, 5:46 pm

The man had stopped talking for a short period of time and Deliath took advantage of the peace and quiet to check the glasses bottles of alcoholic spirits on the top shelf behind the bar.
They all seemed to be fairly clean, and very little had changed from when she'd cleaned them much earlier on in the season. It appeared that the people of Sunberth were either too poor for the drinks, or they had a taste that didn't include such spirits. She couldn't complain either way, as it meant that she'd never had to reach up to the spirits.
Sighing, she turned back to the man, to see someone else, a woman, making her way to the bar. She was pretty, with orange hair and green eyes, and Deliath couldn't help but grin at her.
"I'll 'ave two o' the ciders please." the woman said and Deliath nodded before opening her own mouth to speak.
"Of course. We do have the sliced variety in it you'd be interested in that? I've been told it adds a little something extra to the flavour?" she offered, smiling widely at the woman, before watching the woman nod.
"I'll take the spiced then, only one though! One spiced, one normal." the woman said before handing over a handful of miza.
Deliath carefully counted them to find the right amount and a little bit more, so she took the change and handed it back to the woman with a bright smile, before beginning to pull two pints of the cider, making sure to keep one spiced, and one of the regular variety, before carrying the two glasses back to the bar and placing them in front of the woman.
She watched as the woman raised both her hands to picked up the glasses, but one hand showed some mangled and deformed fingers that she doubted would be able to carry the drinks.
"Would you like me to help carry anything over?" she offered, hoping that she wouldn't have offended the woman.
"Please." the woman said, her voice void of emotion as Deliath picked up the drinks and let the young woman lead the way to where her and another woman were sat.
Smiling, Deliath placed the drinks down and waited for the woman to sit.
"I hope that you both have a great day, an' if you need anything, let me know!" she grinned before practically skipping back to the bar, where the man from earlier was still leaning, his glass now empty apart from the few dregs at the bottom.

"'Nother mug o' ale then lass." the man asked and Del nodded as she took the empty glass and placed it near the sink, before grabbing a clean mug and filling it with ale before the man through a couple of Miza at her. They were the correct amount and she grinned as she handed him his drink, putting the miza away.

"So, you new then lass?" the man asked and Deliath shrugged.
"Sorta, I started working her at the beginning of the season, so compared to most I'm pretty new! How about you? You a local?" she asked, watching the man carefully.
"Yer, lived 'ere all me life, bu' I'm proba'ly gonna 'ave t' leave soon, after me wife and them Daggercocks!" she man exclaimed angrily as Deliath quietly grabbed a damp cloth and wiped the bar down.
"I'm sure they'll forget everything, although it's unfortunate to have lost your wife. And if you have to leave, where would you go?" she asked, tilting her head as she looked at him, briefly stopping wiping as she was leant over the bar.
She saw the mans eyes travel to her bust and she flashed a smile that he couldn't have noticed, before she stood up.

"Ravok probably." the man responded, seeming fairly distracted and she smiled again before looking at his mug to see it empty.
"Fancy another one?" she smiled as she gestured to his glass and the man stared back at her blankly for a short period of time, before coming back to his senses and fumbling for his money.
"Yer, go on then!" he said, handing her the money, she was fairly certain he hasn't even counted what he had given her, but still she smiled as she took the money and gave him his third mug of ale.
"Anyway, wha's a young lass doing here in Sunberth! Yer weren't born here, I can tell tha' much!" the man spoke somewhat slower than he had done early, some of his words slurring together. She was highly amused by how much of a light weight he seemed to be.
"Well, you're right there! I was born in Syliras, and I lived there until five years ago, then I decided that I wanted to travel. I got here and ended up staying. It wasn't intentional but I like how free everyone is here." she explained, tilting her head as she spoke to him. "I also realised I could get a lot more medical experience here then I could back there." she smiled, before the man leaned forwards.
"Yer know medicine then? Well, I 'ave something on me cock tha's a bit unnerving. Can yer take a look?" the man spoke far too enthusiastically and Deliath doubted any of what he had said.

"If you can wait until after I've done here, I might be able to take you back to mine and check you out." she smiled softly as she watched the man slouch a bit more.

Then she saw the two women from earlier get up to leave, and a few more men enter the bar, talking worriedly about something happening on the shores.

Smiling, she welcomed them and quickly walked to the table that the two women had just left, grabbing their glasses and moving to stand behind the bar again, listening in on their conversation.

"Aye, they're just all dead! Washed up on the shore like Laviku is unhappy or summat like that."
"What, the fish?"
"More than the fish! Looked like a few big things as well, and a few weird worm looking things."
"That's well weird!" the men spoke and Deliath watched them carefully, as she slowly washed the glasses, more interested in their conversation than in her work.
It wasn't long before the man who had been conversing with her moved over to the group to ask what was going on, but it sounded like more odd happenings and Deliath was more than a little unnerved.
First the dead were coming back to life and people just weren't dying, then lots of things that shouldn't exist being found, like trails in the sand from something gigantic.
Now sea creatures were washing up on the shores dead. It was unpleasant to say the least.
Word CountThis Post: 1137
Total: 965+1137 = 2102

"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Deliath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Drinking Sorrows Away

Postby Deliath on December 1st, 2016, 1:25 pm

Gradually, as she listened in on the conservation, more and more people came rushing into the tavern, each one with the same news, told from their perspective.
Then there were some who weren't interested in the talk at all, or who were interested but didn't want to join in for fear of what the happenings could mean.

One of such men approached the bar and Deliath leaning against it as he mumbled to himself.
He wasn't a pretty sight, but Deliath wasn't particularly phased. She'd seen much more unfortunate people in Sunberth, and she didn't really mind.

"Not interested in the news?" she asked, taking a step closer to the man.
"Nah lass, give me 'n ale." he said, shaking his head as Deliath nodded, hurriedly grabbing him the drink he had asked for, placing it in front of him and taking the money he offered in exchange. "Tell us a story... Them lo' are too loud an' I ain' interested."

Deliath stood flustered for a moment trying to think of something to say, and formulating her words before opening her mouth to speak.

"Well, I heard of a guy that got lost at sea. And he was out there for months. He was alone for some reason, but eventually he found land, and he spent years telling people about how he had relations with Laviku while out at see, but everyone knew it was all nonsense." she said, her posture stiff and her voice monotone, making the tale even more boring than it had to be.
Seeing the mans disappointment she shrugged.
"And that's probably the reason I'm a barmaid and not a storyteller." she found herself grinning slightly and watched the man shake his head.
"Just work on it. You'll be better at stories one day." the man offered in response and Deliath found herself smiling and nodding, before she leaned on the bar, her cleavage in full view of the man as she tilted her head to watch him.

She didn't see him look at her cleavage, instead his eyes were focussed on the floor and she was somewhat confused.
She had managed to somewhat seduce the first man into buying more drinks, but this man was far more difficult and she wasn't too fond of a challenge.
Then she realised, the man from earlier had been much thinner and unhealthy looking. The alcohol must have hit him much quicker.
This man would probably take another five drinks at least to get to the state that she could even attempt to seduce him.

"I'll make sure to do that... Thanks!" she said smiling, as she spotted a few more empty glasses scattered around. "Sorry, you'll have to excuse me for a little while. There's a few glasses I'd like to make sure are kept intact." she smiled as she darted towards the tables that held glasses, picking them up and carrying them back to the bar.
She found that she was able to carry three glasses in one hand, but only one in the other if she did so, and it took her two trips to gather all the glasses, before she placed them into a bowl of water to soak.

By this point, the man leaning on the bar had finished his ale and Deliath leant forwards, smiling at him.
"Can I interest you in any more drinks? We have the ale, but we also have wine, cider, whiskey and a few other spirits?" she smiled, making sure her cleavage was visible, despite the man not looking there.
"Why no', I'll 'ave a cider. You 'ave spiced?" the man asked and Deliath nodded, grinning widely as she grabbed a clean mug and began to fill it with the spiced cider.
She'd tried the spiced cider before and was certain that Whiteflame Cider Mill must have created the nicest cider in all the lands! She couldn't imagine anywhere else in mizahar having such nice cider, although she had no idea what cider tasted like anywhere else. She'd never touched the stuff back in Syliras, knowing that the people who had raised her wouldn't have approved of her touching anything alcoholic.

Once the mug was full she handed it to the man and took his money, before handing him the change he needed, and she couldn't help but smile at him.
"So, while everyone else is talking and not buying, why don't you tell me about yourself." she smiled at the man, leaning on the bar and looking at him as he rolled his eyes.
"I'm a hun'er. Live in the quar'er and barely have enough money to live. Bu' booze is my life blood!" the man declared, quickly and concisely, as though he was avoiding going into detail.
The typical Sunberth paranoia. He would have no idea as to whether Deliath was just a barmaid, so of course he wouldn't say too much, although Deliath was slightly disappointed.

Before she could respond, more men came to the bar, ordering their drinks and she immediately set to it, grabbing six mugs and filling two with the spiced cider, three with ale, and one with a quick dash of whiskey.
The men handed her some miza and didn't wait to even see if they'd paid the correct amount before telling her to keep the change as they walked over to a nearby table.
Word CountThis post: 894
Total: 2102+894 = 2996
-
"Fratava" || "Shiber"
Deliath

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Drinking Sorrows Away

Postby Aladari Coolwater on April 7th, 2017, 10:27 pm

Grades on Hold.
Notes: Retired PC. Player PM'd.

Contact me if you would like this to be graded.

Thanks,
- Al
"The sea always filled her with longing, though for what she was never sure."
- Cornelia Funke
Aladari Coolwater
Rock the boat.

Words: 267621
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2016, 3:26 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook