Closed Telegram! (Nephti)

Pho meets someone who needs something delivered.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Phobius on November 30th, 2016, 4:13 am

9th of Fall, 516 AV

Phobius liked to sleep, but, for whatever reason, could never do it for more than a few bells at a time. As a result, he often found himself waking up at dawn, right before the sun had even risen. It was as much of a blessing as it was a curse, but he preferred to think of it as the former instead of the latter, liking that he was able to get out and about much earlier than most Alvads. This morning he had woken up and gotten dressed, then hesitated before deciding to look around for a scrap of paper and something to write with. Once he had found the two items, he'd written a little note and left it at the foot of his roommate's bed, then tiptoed out the door before he could disturb him. It was short and simple, but he doubted that Dex would be able to read his handwriting—more often than not, even he had trouble reading it—so he could only hope that the man wouldn't be too worried about him being gone.

After that, Phobius had wandered around for a while. He hadn't known where he was going when he'd left his and Dex's house, but he was sure that he would find something to do before long. There was never a dull moment in Alvadas, and he felt as though he could always count on the city and Ionu to make his day much more interesting... unless, of course, the God of Illusions was still tucked away in his own bed.

There weren't many other people around, so the boy set his mind adrift as he walked up and down the city's empty streets. He and Dex had gone furniture shopping a few days after they'd started living together, and he had everything that he needed... but there were still things that he could get, weren't there? Not-so-important-but-useful things, like plates and bowls and spoons and forks... and maybe some stuff that would make the house smell nice. Right now, it smelled like dust and old clothes, and though Dex didn't seem to mind it, Phobius was becoming less and less fond of the stale scents.

Maybe he could find some colorful, sweet-smelling flowers while he was out. The Symenestra wouldn't mind if he brought a few home, would he?

Lost as he was in his thoughts, Phobius didn't realize that he'd reached the Bizarre until he bumped into someone who happened to be standing near the entrance. "Oh...! Sorry," he said, raising his arms a bit as he backed away from them. "I wasn't looking where I... where I was... going..."

He trailed off, then, and couldn't help but stare at the stranger's arms. She had six of them, reminding him of a woman that he had met a few seasons ago whose name he couldn't remember... that was, of course, if she had even told him her name. He was pretty sure that he'd only ever seen her once.

Not wanting to be rude, the boy forced himself to look up at her face and meet her eyes, which were big and bright. "Sorry," he said again, giving her a sheepish little smile. She didn't seem bothered, but...

"Is something wrong...?" Phobius asked, noticing how distracted the six-armed woman looked.

"This is speech in Nari."

This is thought.

Last edited by Phobius on December 19th, 2016, 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Words: 283495
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2014, 12:08 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Nephti on November 30th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Nephti stood around with a smile on her face, resting from her little walk. It was still fairly early in the morning, but the girl had woken up with the need to move around and had decided a little walk would freshen herself up before she focused on what she needed to do that day.

These walks let her think. She smiled at the sight of the Bizarre, wondering what wonders she would discover today. Instinctively, her hands moved to her pockets, but they were empty, the cards left behind in her room. All of a sudden, she felt defenceless without them. How had she ever coped before she had met the art of fortune telling? Before she had met-

Her thoughts were interrupted by a red-head who accidentally bumped into her, who trailed off with his apology, so eager for her to forgive him. From the smile on her face, she hoped he would understand that she didn't mind. Then she realised why he was staring - what he was staring at, rather - and lifted her hands in greeting, waving all the left ones at him.

"Good morning," she greeted him, as his bright amber eyes moved up to meet hers. Her mind flickered between her memories and this, before finally settling on reality, just about catching his question.

She shook her head quickly. "No, no, nothing is wrong..." she murmured softly, "just...." She trailed off, slightly distracted again. "I was thinking."

And she remembered everything again. Rosca, the Benshira, old, scarred, but full of life and light. The girl owed everything to her. Her fortune-telling, her faith, her hope. Without Rosca, she never would have been bought by Sayana, never would have been free. She would have never met Priskil, never carried her mark proudly. Never realised how wrong she had been in everything she did.

Shaking it out of her head, she smiled at him again. "I am Nephti. Who are you? It is nice to meet you."

Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Phobius on December 19th, 2016, 3:18 am

The woman shook her head, quick to tell him that no, nothing was wrong… but she was thinking about something, and Phobius couldn’t help but tilt his head a bit at her when he heard this, curious as to what that something was. Would she tell him about it if he asked, or was it a special something that she kept to herself? He had some of those, too, and treated them as though they were secrets, locking them up in a small, wooden box and stowing that box in the furthest corners of his mind, where no one would ever be able to find it.

Then again, maybe it wasn’t a special something. Maybe she was just thinking about what she would have for lunch later, or what nice new clothes she could to buy from the Bizarre. Up until now, he hadn’t really thought to buy any for himself, but he could use a new shirt and pair of pants. Oh, and shoes. As much as he loved his old boots, he didn’t want to have to stare at his toes whenever he looked down. He wouldn’t get rid of them, no—that’d be like getting rid of memories, and memories were precious things worth keeping, whether they were good or bad or somewhere in between.

Smiling, the woman then introduced herself as Nephti. Phobius smiled back at her, glad that he had ended up bumping into someone who seemed as friendly as she did. “I’m Phobius. And it’s nice to meet you, too,” he said. “Did you come out here to go shopping for stuff? I was taking a walk, ‘cause I like to take walks, but I didn’t know that I would get this far. There are lots of good things that you can get in the Bizarre.”

This is thought.

Note: Unless otherwise is stated, Phobius is almost always wearing a blue-beaded bracelet that alters illusions around him based on his mood. That can include player-made illusions. c:
Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Nephti on December 19th, 2016, 7:37 pm

He wasn't a fool. At her "nothing" he tilted his head, curious, and she smiled, trying to get herself to forget it about it too. Rosca was lost to her - maybe she was in this city, maybe another one. They had separated in their paths and she had never seen the Benshira again, even those times she had searched. It was clear that Ionu, at least, thought they didn't need to meet again.

The man talked a lot, his personality as bright as his hair. There was a lot to take in, Nephti only managing to gather her focus by the end of his speech. He mentioned walk a lot, then good things at the Bizarre. Did he want to go shopping? She assumed that was it. Smiling at him, she joined his side and moved to enter the Bizarre, so he could shop to his heart's content.

Then she realised he had asked a question in that too. Not exactly certain what it was, she replied generally, "I wanted to walk. To think. But I came to Bizarre, so maybe... maybe I need to buy something too. " With a smile in her face, she skipped slightly, full of energy.

Wanting to talk, to distract herself, she looked around the stalls, pointing out interesting things that caught her eye. "What do you want to buy?" she asked, then realising she might had completely misunderstood him, changing the direction of the conversation slightly, "Or do you work here? In a shop?" Maybe that was what he had been talking about.

She was just confusing herself, although that wasn't too bad. It meant her mind wasn't on Rosca as much, and what she missed about the Benshira woman.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Phobius on December 21st, 2016, 10:35 pm

She didn't respond to him, at first, and he ended up walking with her into the Bizarre. Despite how early it was, things seemed as busy as ever; people stood near stands, trying to bargain with vendors who insisted that their prices couldn't go any lower; bakers put their goods out on display, hoping to draw in a few hungry passersby; women wearing long, silken scarves twirled them in people's faces, showing them how finely they'd been woven and how pretty they looked when held up to the light. The boy found himself overwhelmed by all of the sights, sounds, and smells, but only for a moment; he came here often and was used to it, having long since learned how to adjust.

"I wanted to walk," Nephti said all of a sudden, answering the question that he'd nearly forgotten about. "To think. But I came to Bizarre, so maybe... maybe I need to buy something too."

In that case, they could buy their stuff together, couldn't they? It'd be a lot more fun that way. Phobius thought of suggesting this to her, but she seemed to be one step ahead of him, asking him what he wanted to get. "Or do you work here? In a shop?" she then added, and he beamed at her. "Nope. I'm a courier," he said, happy that she'd brought up work; he liked to talk about his job. "I get to go all around Alvadas and deliver things. Most times it's letters, but there was this one time that a man had me send some flowers to a lady. They were really pretty flowers, and they smelled nice... I don't know what they were called, though. I shoulda asked."

Thinking back on it made him frown a bit. He would've liked to know the names of those flowers, but at least the woman had been happy to get them.

The boy was quiet for a few ticks, seeming lost in his own thoughts. Then he spotted something, and wove around Nephti to get a closer look at it; it was a wide-rimmed hat that hung from something tall and made of metal. Other hats hung near it, but this one in particular was a deep shade of red. Wondering what it would look like on him, he tried it on, then laughed when it fell over his eyes. "I think it's too big," he said, turning to the woman to show her. "Or maybe my head's too small."

Whichever was true, he knew that he couldn't buy it, so he started to take it off, only to stop with his hands on its rim and say, "Hey Nephti, what do you do for work?"

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Nephti on December 25th, 2016, 10:21 pm

A cour-courier? But before she had a chance to ask, the man explained, speaking with the same excitement and lots of words like he had before. He talked about letters and pretty flowers, then frowned a little, thinking about it. Nephti giggled slightly as his peculiarities, meaning it in no mean way. She simply found his way of speaking and emotions over flowers different to most people, who were so serious.

"Maybe," she began, twinkle in her eyes, "We can find flowers?" Her offer was bright and she was eager to, not sure what else to do in the Bizarre. But he found hats interesting too, from the way he approached the hat stand, trying one on.

Nephti burst out laughing when he put it on. The way it looked - huge, and blending in as the same bright red as his hair - was ridiculous. His laughter matched hers, and for a moment she lost herself in it, letting its warm embrace hold her in a place where she forgot.

Then she remembered everything with his next question and her face fell. Quickly, to not worry him, the girl perked up again, beginning a long rant in Arumenic before realising she had slipped into the wrong language. That hadn't happened for a long time. She blamed the Benshira on her mind.

"Sorry," she laughed it away, "I am a fortune teller. I have cards and I use them to see future. To answer questions. To help people find their paths." She stopped, thinking for a moment. "As a cou-cour-courier,"she struggled over the new word, "Can you find people? If your customers do not know where to find them?"

Then, blushing at her question, she moved ahead with slight embarrassment, not really wanting to hear the answer. Her eyes landed on a flower stall, and she burst ahead, running forward with occasional glances to make sure Phobius was following. "The flowers, maybe?" she asked, changing the subject in a way that showed she still wanted to talk about it. She leant in, smelling a bunch of bright purple ones, "Smell them! They smell so nice!"

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Phobius on December 31st, 2016, 5:37 am

Nephti was quiet for a few ticks; then she burst into a language that he'd never heard, before, and he couldn't do much else but stare at her until she realized it. When she switched back to Common, she told him that she was a fortune teller, someone who looked into the future and helped people by answering their questions. Phobius smiled at this, as he could remember having met a fortune teller a long, long time ago. She'd been a nice woman—Osana? Okana?—and he had ran into Kuvarakh at her tent, one day; the alchemist had then given him some money, so that he could buy whatever he needed for his birthday party, though he wasn't sure whether he'd ended up spending all of it.

After perusing her own thoughts, the girl—he had no idea how old she was, but she didn't look much younger than him—asked if he could find people if his "customers" didn't know where they were. Before he could respond, however, she ran off, and he went after her, doubting that she would get lost but hoping that she'd be careful, all the same. It turned out that she had found someone who was selling flowers. "Smell them! They smell so nice!" she said, and he did just that, leaning in to take a big whiff of a few pretty pink and white ones. "Wow, they do!" he exclaimed. Then he looked up at the seller—a big, burly man with a ponytail—and asked, "What're these called?"

"Posies, m'friend," the man replied, smiling.

"And what about these?" He pointed at some small, yellow ones.

"Those would be buttercups."

Buttercups. Posies. Such nice-sounding names. Phobius told himself to remember them as he looked at some of the other flowers, admiring their colors and smelling them. Remembering what the girl had asked, he then turned to look at her. "Oh, I can find people. I get asked to do it sometimes, so I think I'm pretty good at it."

Not thinking much of the question, he shifted his attention back to the flowers; then he remembered how distracted she had looked when he had seen her outside the Bizarre, and his eyes found hers, again.

"Do you need to find somebody?"

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Nephti on January 1st, 2017, 9:47 pm

The red-head moved to smell the flowers too, before asking the vendor about them. Nephti listened closely, curious too, especially since there wasn't a chance she'd already know these names in Common. She repeated them lightly under he breath, loving how the pretty flowers had pretty names. She shuffled over to a bunch of beautiful pink lilies, smelling them softly. "These - what is their name?"

"Lilies, sweetie," he smiled, and she smelled them again. It wouldn't hurt to buy them, and it meant she could put off the conversation with Phobius for just a little while longer. She didn't mean to be so evasive, but she had no idea about what she thought about it. She just wanted some time to think, and to actually decide on what she wanted to do.

"How much?" she asked, rummaging in her pocket to find some coins.

"Three gold mizas, but for you, I'll throw in a pot," he smiled, moving to gather a bunch. It was a little pricey, but she smiled sweetly and handed over the money, taking the bunch of flowers and small clay pot. She smelled it gratefully, before pressing her hand over the opening so water wouldn't slosh out. Finally ready to talk, and to ask Phobius whether he could find Rosca for her, the girl turned, smiling brightly, as if nothing was wrong.

He claimed he was pretty good at finding people, and in this city, that was an even better achievement. If anyone could find Rosca, Phobius would. He turned back to her after a little while, realising her intentions. The girl nodded slowly, finding her gaze drifting away from him.

"I need you to find someone," she finally said softly, "I have not seen her for a year. I do not know if she is in Alvadas. But you have to find her. Please." She paused a little longer, pressing her face in the lilies and smelling them to distract herself for a little while. "Do you have paper, and..." she mimed a quill, "So I can write to her?" If he didn't, she could simply search the Bizarre a little longer. After all, it most certainly had something to write with, so she could tell Rosca everything. Or at least, enough so the two could meet again, if they chose to.

oocPricing from here

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Phobius on February 8th, 2017, 9:57 pm

She nodded, and he strained his ears so that he could hear her above the hustle and bustle of the Bizarre. She didn't seem to know where this someone was, which meant that finding them would be a bit of a challenge, but Phobius wasn't discouraged. He liked to wander around Alvadas, and he liked to look for people, and he liked to see them smile when he brought them their letters and gifts from their friends and mothers and brothers and cousins. It was his genuine belief that his job, first and foremost, was to make people happy, and if seeing this woman was what Nephti really, truly wanted, he'd do whatever he had to to find her.

When she asked for paper and something to write with, the boy looked around, then hurried over to another stand and asked a woman with bright blue hair if she happened to have either of those things. She didn't, but knew someone who probably did, and pointed him in their direction. Thanking her, Phobius slipped into the nearest crowd and vanished. He re-appeared a few moments later at Nephti's side, a piece of paper and what had looked to him like a normal feather clutched in one hand. "Found some!" he said, smiling as he handed the items over to her. "A nice man let me borrow them, but I think he wants the feather back when you're done. I didn't even know you could write with those."

He watched her, then, curious about how she wrote her words. His never seemed to come out right, but he still wasn't too used to writing things, let alone in Common.

"... so, what's her name?" he asked after a little while, "and what's she look like? Are you and her friends?"

OOCGuh, I am so, SO sorry for the lateness, but we can start wrapping this up, now!

This is thought.

Phobius
Perpetually Curious

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Telegram! (Nephti)

Postby Nephti on February 14th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Pho was quick to run off, arriving shortly after with a quill and piece of paper. The red-head gave a sweet smile as he passed it over, Nephti taking it with a matching one and a quick "thank you!". Shifting to the side of the busy bizarre, the girl settled on the ground with her pot of flowers beside her, resting the paper against her knee so she could write.

Words. What words to use? What language? Arumenic, of course. It had to be Arumenic. Pressing the quill against her knee, she started the first loop, lingering a little before finishing the name. "Rosca," she spoke out loud as she wrote it, looking up towards Phobius as she did, "Her name is Rosca."

As she continued to write, she kept her eyes flitting between the writing and the man, answering his questions slowly in between words. We haven't seen each other for so long. So much has changed. "She is Benshira." I need to talk to you. "Old. Tan skin. Light eyes." About everything. About nothing. I need your help. "She has scars - from slavery. Wore colourful..." she mimed a shawl, hoping to get the message across, "Over head, or around neck." I have a room in the Cube Inn. But I am everywhere. "She was fortune teller."

She had no idea where she was now. She hadn't seen her for so long and it wasn't like she hadn't been places where she should have seen. She hadn't been looking: perhaps that was her problem. But now she was looking - now she was hoping Rosca was still around.

If you look, you will find me. I will look. Maybe Phobius, the messenger, will take a message back to me.

"We were friends. Then I never came back to see her. I feel..." she sunk her head, trying to explain in a Common words, "Terrible. I should found her. Not ignore her." The girl looked up, her guilt hidden behind large eager eyes. "Can you find her?"

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes