PM to join [Fighting Pits] Taming the Mind and the blade (Terag)

Terag and Zifor Meet in the Fighting pits.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Fighting Pits] Taming the Mind and the blade (Terag)

Postby Zifor on December 9th, 2016, 4:50 am

Zifor punched the target bare fisted, “Nothing is right” he growled under his breath as he stroked his hand softly he hadn't thought this through his frustrations led him to no other conclusions his emotions were out of control but there was a feeling, a dread on his shoulders something was messing with his mind. He sighed deeply and let out a breath trying to clear his mind but his thoughts raced even faster through his mind.

The training grounds felt empty tonight even Gerard couldn't be seen on the grounds tonight zifor wondered how half the training weapons even didn't go missing he grabbed a small sword off one of the weapon racks and inspected it, The Blade of the sword was short and worn with rust but it seemed to still be able to be a lethal weapon if used in the right hands. Zifor grinned and laughed halfheartedly. “Not that i could use this anytime soon” he grabbed the sword in one hand and swung it at thin air, the blade felt light in his hand but holding it felt like the blade was the perfect size for him.

The decision for him to gain skill in using a weapon wasn't really brought on by necessity or desire to protect himself just something to occupy his dreaded down time when he was alone at night and needed something to do his emotions got on his nerves and maybe some solitude and learning how to swing a sword or throw a knife could help him train his emotions as well as his fighting skills.

Zifor grunted and swung the sword quickly at the training mannequin in front of him in a rapid strike and as he spun to try and hit the dummy in a final hit he tripped over his own foot and dropped the sword into the dirt his head smashed into the dirt and he coughed out sand onto the ground with a pained grunt he righted himself from the ground and brushes his chest off he picked up the short sword and shoved it into the weapon rack and he knocked the training dummy to the ground and sat down against the wall and sighed

“Why can i never seem to do anything right”

Zifor stuck his hand to his head and grunted but he looked up as he heard footsteps approaching the pits.
Zifor
Player

Words: 37833
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2016, 4:25 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on December 9th, 2016, 7:48 am

Terag hummed to himself softly as he left The Ironworks for the evening, as he had finished working for the day. His apron was hung on his tool rack and Terag picked up his warfork that was sitting beside it. Today he was hoping to get some practice in at the Pit before he had to go inside again due to the curfew. It was already rather dark, and Terag just shrugged it off.

"Step to the rhythm,
the rhythm of the hammer.
Step to the rhythm,
of your beating heart.
Step to the rhythm,
of the song of our people.
Forward we walk,
out to war."

Terag sung softly to himself as he made his way through the streets, the song itself was simple and mostly just repeated variations of the first section and it ended not too long before the pit was in sight. Terag could barely make out the sounds of what seemed to be someone else working at one of the practice targets. While it wasn't unusual for someone to be at the pit late, it was more strange that someone else was so late after last season and the frequent attacks. It seemed the reports of attacks had calmed down, and Terag figured between his amateur spear skills and his reimancy he could at least get somewhere safe if anything happened.

By the time Terag finally made it to the pit there was only one other body, a younger male at the very least with rather light hair. Humans certainly came in all shapes it would seem. While usually he would heed the person no mind, with last season still fresh in his mind Terag figured that it would do to at least make sure the other person wasn't going to be a threat. And regardless, it seemed the other might need a friend, after all there weren't many reasons to rest against the wall in such a sluggish manner unless you were feeling lower than the mines.

Terag was using his right hand to hold the warfork and use it as a makeshift walking stick, and so he raised his free left hand in greeting which let the small amount of light twinkling off his hand. His accent still showed through in his voice, marking him as someone clearly not from Syliras, and his year or so here had done little to control it. "Hey there, surprised to see someone else here at this time of night. Not worried too much about the curfew, hmm? Perhaps taking a break from practicing on the dummy?" Terag turned and playfully stabbed at the nearest dummy immediately after he spoke, letting the warfork sink in enough to it that as he let go of it that it remained stuck and suspended in the air. "Kinda hard to blow off steam if you just sit there, no? Assuming that is why you are here after all."

He did his best to try to seem friendly and forthcoming, trying to get the other to talk. He did stop outside the range if the man tried to stab at him. He even went far enough to begin to focus and pull his res at the ready within his now empty hands, none of his seeping out to be seen yet so that he could keep his magic unknown but enough that it would save him a second or two if it came down to. In a fight after all, every second counted.
Thoughts "Isurian" "Common" "Others' Speaking"
The above colors are subject to change, bear with me please!
My Character Sheet, I'm working on making it prettier.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Words: 226408
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2015, 7:21 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zifor on December 9th, 2016, 9:18 am

The stout man approached Zifor as he rested against the wall, he seemed fully grown and he had a small amount of facial hair on him the man carried a strange weapon some kind of double headed spear or similar things resembling a trident a weapon he had seen used by mercenaries and squires that came from Zeltiva zifor notice the skin of the man was different than humans perhaps this man came from a different bloodline.

"No Sir" Zifor smiled slyly at the stranger. "Curfew never bothered me any I have my ways of escaping trouble",'Zifor watched the man stab his fork into the mannequin and nodded toward his weapon. "what is that called by the way I've seen similar things from people from zeltia called a trident I believe but that looks far more deadly". The man asked him his question as he stood up from against the wall zifor brushed his hair out of his golden eyes and showed this stranger one of his trademark smiles.

The stranger seemed friendly if a bit tense he wondered if the man was frightened by his appearance or perhaps just on edge he let his Djed through his eyes and met the stranger's they were quite different from most people's eyes "I'm not going to hurt you there really is no reason to be so rigid" his hypnotism was subtle and harmless not meant to alter the man's mind but just to ensure zifor was not perceived as a threat, he was a tad intimidated by the strangers weapon and his build he seemed like he was very muscular and was perhaps a fighter, the man came off as friendly but zifor wasn't confident he could fight another novice let alone someone so fit.

"I Guess you could say I was taking a break more of a complete failure really" Zifor picked up the rusted training sword and stabbed it half-heartedly into the training dummy, giving the man a slight grin he said. "So if you're so concerned about curfew why don't you tell me yourself why you're out here" as an afterthought he held out his hand and spoke once more "By the way m name is Zifor or Zi For short if you prefer"
Zifor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on December 10th, 2016, 1:50 am

Terag did not respond until after Zifor's suggestion. Inexperienced with Hypnotism, Terag didn't even notice the magic take place and since he was looking for an excuse to believe the Zifor as it was he began to relax some. He kept himself at the ready regardless, though he did become noticeably less tense and he released his res discreetly into the air around him to keep his own secret safe.

"Ah this?" Terag motioned to his warfork briefly before continuing, "It is known as a Warfork, not a Trident. I did not make this one, but a fellow smith at The Ironworks made it for me. It is a good weapon, more interesting than my old spear at the very least. I am unsure if it is more deadly than a Trident, but definitely just more versatile. But I suppose all weapons are deadly in the right hands, no? And regardless of trouble or no, you might want to heed the curfew anyways, when it comes around that is. Better to not be on the bad side of the knights, no?" Terag smiled some, trying to make it seem as warm a smile as he could.

Terag's smile faded some as as he listened to the other man continue, apparently he had been on the mark about the man taking a break. Perhaps even so that the man was feeling down, his tone didn't seem to suggest that he was feeling in tip top shape. Terag tried to make a mental note to ask about it later, after responding to some of Zifor's questions.

"Zifor hmm? An interesting name, My name is Terag. I suppose mine does not fit in a local's mouth very well either, no?" He chuckled a bit and shrugged before he continued, "I am out here to practice a bit. With the attacks finally calming down it seemed a good a time as any to begin practicing again. As a weaponsmith I do not get a terribly large amount of time to use as I see fit, work from sun up till sun down and even later sometimes. Either way, swinging a hammer at a piece of metal does not make you the best fighter or necessarily able to take care of oneself."

He turned and used his right hand to yank his Warfork from the dummy, going through the practiced movements of spinning it around his body as if to deter would be attackers before thrusting into the air away from Zifor. "I can only assume you came here to do the same? Practicing with your hands, a weapon? If you need one I am always up for a spar, and with this arm of mine you are not going to do any damage, not really at any rate." He let out a confident smile again and laughed some this time. There was not an Isur alive that didn't enjoy showing off some after all.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zifor on December 11th, 2016, 2:24 am

"A Warfork ?" Zifor nodded as he described the weapon, The warfork looked deadly but it handled differently from a trident or a spear. "Seems like it would work just like a trident or a spear but I, well" Zifor stammered slowly and scratched the back of his head letting out a nervous laugh. " I guess you could say I'm a novice when it comes to the complications of weapons and their uses I am sure it is a very handy weapon although it looks like it requires some more strength than a spear alone" Zifor nodded in agreement to the mans comment about the knights and the squires. it really was not a good idea to be on their bad side.

"But I am curious if you are a smith why would you not make your own weapons you seem very capable to work at a place such as that". The man commented on zifor's own name and gave his own "Terag ah, A pleasure to meet you, my name isn't very common either although judging from your appearance you are not human and I can only guess about your accent that you are from a far away place pardon my ignorance I have never received any sort of formal education in many subjects I haven't been around long enough to soak up all the information I should have" Zifor couldn't help but feel his questions would make this man disappointed but he hoped the man would not take offence at his ignorance.

Zifor nodded at the mans inquiry about training Aye, the dangers of the past season are fresh in my and luckily i am quick and well I do have many things to help me escape from trouble but sometimes flight is impossible and fighting could be the only option I'm sure you would know of this" Truth be told zifor had only now noticed the man's arm. No wonder the man was a smith he had seen a number of these people but none really spoke to him nor did he know why they had arms made out of this strange living metal. "Your people, do you all craft metal or is the gift different depending on your arm ?" Zifor couldnt help but marvel at Terag's arm it was a fascinating color and this is the first time he had noticed something of the like so up close and personal, even the veins seemed to be different from any species he had met before.

"A Sparring match would be fine as long as you would be willing to consider that I may accidentally hurt you or if, you are confident that your arm will protect you that I may not be particularly as good as you are in regards to fighting" Zifor gave Terag a genuine smile it was thrilling to meet a man of another race and expand on what he had seen in his short life.
Zifor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on December 13th, 2016, 5:22 am

"More Strength? I suppose so, uses more sets of muscles depending on if you thrust or if you want to cut. Other than that I would say it as much as any set of weapons, besides a fit fighter will have the muscles in plenty I am sure." Terag chuckled a bit before he leaned a bit on his warfork with the weapon's butt planted into the ground. He smiled a bit more before he continued speaking.

"No, no. I am not human, by no means. My people are called the Isur, a very hardy group of people. We make our homes typically much farther west than here in Syliras, usually it is in region of Kalea. And there is no reason to feel bad about a lack of knowledge, no? Every moment is a new opportunity to learn, about other people or skills or even techniques such as how to make a sword or how to feel better about yourself. If nothing else, never let those opportunities pass you by, Zifor. Always a good thing to keep in mind."

Terag used his left hand to stroke his goatee for a few moments while he listened to Zifor continue on about being able to escape from trouble. A useful skill, though Terag personally would try to take on the problem head on. No need to worry about a threat later if you dealt with it in the moment of course. He nodded in agreement though to Zifor's comment about a fighting sometimes being the only option, of course it is just another opportunity to prove yourself. He smiled again when Zifor asked about his arm, as it was a question he got often here in Syliras and he was sure the other Isurians did as well. "As a people we craft metal, yes. Although it has nothing to do with our arm, it is more to honor Izurdin. He is a great god after all and made my people in his image, including our arms, and it is the least that we can do is to perfect his art." He purposely avoided the 'depending on your arm' bit of Zifor's question. The politics that came along with arm color were enough to make his own head spin, let alone one who was unfamiliar with the Isurians as a whole.

"You hurt me? Come now, a bruise here or there is good! Builds character, besides the best way to learn is to throw yourself into the craft, fighting this time as it were. I suppose to keep things safe you should put the sheath on your weapon if you want to use it and I'll do the same. No reason to get impaled over a friendly fight, no?" Terag chuckled again before walking over to the rack of weapons, pulling off some rather old sheaths to pull over his warfork's blades, and tied them on with the straps and some other pieces of leather. Again he took his weapon and took a few practice thrusts into the air in front of him, and then one into a dummy followed by a cut - none of which seemed to do much to the practice target than bump into it. It was not a permanent solution but it would do for a short while, and if worst came to worst and the impromptu-coverings came off than he would toss his weapon aside and fight bare handed. He took off his shirt and hung it over the head of the closest dummy, so that he wouldn't need to worry about it being torn, before walking towards the open center of the pit.

Once on the other side he turned to look at Zifor, "Whenever you are ready, I am ready. If you need to then use the fight to vent, just be careful. If you get too angry or lose your sheath and come at me then I will have to call the fight off. Do not let it discourage you though, it is good to let the emotions out. Even better to learn to control them, no? Good luck and may the strongest win."
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zifor on December 22nd, 2016, 6:09 am

Zifor listen Eagerly as Terag explained about his race and his hometown and made a few mental notes. About the Isur and the area, they were from as well as the fact that they were apparently naturally stronger than humans.

“I Take Every opportunity to learn as I can I have learned a lot from the men around here in my short life” Zifor cleared his throat and nodded “As we are being completely honest here I am not a human either I am Kelvic, I am afraid I don't know much about kelvics Myself as my father never really stayed to tell me anything after my mother gave birth to myself although I do know I am an animal as well as a man I can change my shape at will to either of my bodies but I am by no means a user of morphing magic. I can don a singular animal Body as all kelvic can and that is the extent of my power.”

Zifor wondered if the info would make this stranger less likely to trust him but he figured perhaps his story about his own race would make the man more comfortable not being the only nonhuman in the people he knows.”I Don't wish to unnerve you with this information I just thought I could share a story since you told me about yourself so openly” Zifor left a smile to his gaze “Knowledge is knowledge, and Perhaps one day what we tell each other could be useful”

Nodding as he walked over to the weapon racks he wrapped the sheath of this dull short sword around it in preparation for a sparring match he had never swung a sword before and was unsure if he would look as a complete buffoon with a weapon “I Mean what's one stab or two between new friends’ Zifor chuckled and let out a sigh of anticipation trying to clear the distractions from his mind

Swinging the sword experimentally in front of him he prepared for his match with this bulky Isur in front of him he said to his new sparring partner. “I Am ready let's do this” ZIfor readied his sword and began walking toward the Isurian man slowly and carefully prepared to defend himself from him, but the first move it seemed was his to make he would step quickly to the left of the isur man and try and slash at the man’s left leg he aimed to knock the isur off balance.

Common, Hypnotism
|
Zifor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on December 28th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Terag did his best not to let his confusion show on his face. A Kelvic? He vaguely remembered being told something about some race that could change between animals and a human form but he honestly knew very little. It was all a bit strange to him, after all why would one want to be in a different form than the one their god graced them with? Perhaps his own god created him his shifting form, would that be okay? Confused, Terag tossed the thought aside and focused on the fight at hand.

In his thoughts he had just barely enough time to notice Zifor's step to the left, and the strike. More out of reaction than training he thrust his arm forward to catch the blade, succeeding in allowing the strike to connect with his arm instead of his leg. The metal arm took the blow without issue, and of course Terag felt little more than a confirmation that something had made contact with his arm.

He wasn't practiced enough with his warfork to make a true follow up so instead he took a step back and made a poor attempt at a thrust at the man. With his right arm he struck forward as his left leg and then his right made him quickly back tracked, if the blow even connected then it would do little if anything at all.

Terag took a deep breath, he had to focus if he wanted to actually learn anything today and to make sure that neither of them got too hurt. Sparring between people was fine and all, but as a maker of weapons he knew the ones that were the most likely to injure themselves were the beginners.

Terag made the first move of the next clash. He brought his war fork across his body to the left, before taking a step and raising the weapon and then bring it back down to his right in attempt to slash his opponent from the top left to the bottom right. A common enough move, but in his inexperience he left himself wide open immediately after.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Zifor on December 30th, 2016, 6:32 am

Timestamp

Zifor’s eyes focused on his arm the short sword glinted off if as if it was a shield and Terag seemed to use it as one, possibly a natural response or maybe it's a common tactic to isur, Either way his attack did little if anything to the man he couldn't even see the Isur’s expression change.

As the isur thrust his spear at Zi he saw a chance opening, Either this stranger was slow or maybe just a poorly timed strike on his part but it seemed as if he was not a skilled fighter or at least pretending to be a novice to catch him off guard.

Zifor slide backward in the sand and kicked a cloud of dust into the air perhaps to distract the man but in all honestly he didn't really keep his footing all that well after sliding he looked around himself for anything he could use to aid him unawares that this might let terag openly attack him but he tried not to show it on his face, but he saw what he needed a stick buried in the sand, not to be used as a weapon no but a distraction it would do.

He launched a downward strike at terag from his unprotected arm so it wouldn't be so easily blocked and leaped backwards in case terag decided to counter ever so Carefully backing off towards his impromptu throwing weapon.

“I May not be strong but you can bet i won't be too easy to hit" Zifor gave him a cocky smile but inwardly knew he shouldn't underestimate a stranger especially one stronger than your average human.

Common, Hypnotism

Zifor
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terag on January 4th, 2017, 8:21 am

In the confusion of the sand being kicked up Terag froze for a moment - his inexperience meant that all the information was going through his head but it did not know how to react and so instead he froze up. He unfroze in time to notice the strike coming down onto his right arm, but not enough to stop it entirely. He began to drop his arm some and pull away, but not soon enough as the sheathed blade smacked him good. The blow wasn't quite on his bone, but it sure hurt a lot regardless. Terag grimaced and gritted his teeth to endure the pain, trying to force himself to think the pain was no worst than dropping his hammer onto his toe by accident.

He refocused on Zifor when the man began to speak again, and Terag fell back into his ready stance. Unfortunately he had no idea what the other man was intending and only assumed the man was backing up to try to get out of the range of the warfork. "Being hard to hit is probably a good trait, no? If you don't get hit then strength matters not. Let us see if you can keep that up though hmm? I may not have speed, but long hours at the forge has to mean something!" Terag went aggressive again, taking a few steps forward before he brought his left arm up to cover his body as he thrusted forward once more with his warfork. He didn't even notice the slip of his tongue back into Isurian as he spoke as he was too focused on his movements.

His hand covered his face, fingers spread to try to minimize the impact to his vision and his upper torso was covered by his arm. The stance made use of the fact that the closest points of contact were covered, the head and upper torso, but of course his right arm was still free to be hit if the other moved fast enough. Has Terag stepped forward once more to adjust from the wide stance of the thrust he cocked his warfork back and brought it to the right to ready a swing before sticking the tail end of his weapon under his arm and slashing to the left. No cover for his right side this time since he wasn't wearing armor. He softly cursed under his breath, he had to do something about his slow speed - if nothing else he needed to practice. The issue of having a large weapon, and a spear like one at that, was that it took more time and more movement to get his weapon ready for a strike. This was especially true as Terag was not nearly as skilled at his weapon as he should be.
Terag
The Singing Smith

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes