Ghost Strings (Verilian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Aello on February 3rd, 2011, 3:59 pm

Who was Nathan? Aello wondered as she stared up at the building along with the ghost. It wasn't much to look at anymore, she thought. It wasn't like the ghost's memories. The pieces of Nathan that the ghost had stuck together, and chosen, or at least seemingly chosen, to show her. His bright blue eyes, sparkling in the sunlight, so much like how the the sea glimmers when the moon beats down upon it. His pale pink lips. His lightly tan skin, and bright smile. The way he had appeared to seem so interested in the ghost when she was still alive. He had appeared so happy to Aello; and so did she; the ghost, and Aello couldn't help but wonder how on earth she could feel nothing but anger emanating from the ghost then.

Which, Aello decided, could only mean that the ghost was in love with this mysterious Nathan, at least once upon a time, but something had happened since then to change all of that. She wondered what it could be. How Nathan had broken the ghost's heart, or how she had broken his. She wasn't sure if she wanted to simply ask the ghost however, or if the ghost would bother to answer her. Internally, Aello sighed, perhaps asking who he was in the first place, would be a more acceptable question. But then again, even such a simple thing, didn't seem so innocent.

What was she to do? Aello wondered as she wracked her brain for ideas. Technically, the only thing she controlled at the moment was her own thought, well at least, consistently that was. She could sometimes speak, and sometimes, she was convinced the ghost could hear her thoughts even though she may not respond to them, just as she could see and hear things from the ghost's life. It was rather creepy, in all honesty.

Again, Aello signed internally, she felt like such a puppet. The ghost was pulling her strings, and telling her where to go and what to see, and she had no idea why. It was getting rather ridiculous, and Aello seriously wanted some answers. She didn't like feeling like she was being kept in the dark, so finally, Aello mustered the strength, courage, and temporary control of her mouth to whisper, "who was he? And why are we standing here?"
Aello
Looking For Answers

Words: 1550591
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2011, 4:52 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Verilian on February 3rd, 2011, 4:51 pm

"My love... Nathan."

The ghost answered through Aello's own lips. The sound of her voice coming from them but with an accent not her own must have been rather strange to hear, but there was little Aello could do about it. The ghost was not finished yet either, after a moments pause it continued to speak, it's voice.. or rather Aello's voice full of sorrow and regret.

"We were on our way to be wed.. we just had one stop to make." The ghost moved Aello a few tentative steps toward the house, fumbling around in search for something with her hands. "I didn't mind. What was one stop on the way to a lifetime of happiness?" Anger. Anger raged through the ghost and Aello could feel it, and finally the ghost found what it was looking for, grasping the hilt of the mysterious dagger and pulling it from its makeshift sheath, holding it up for Aello to see. The ghost moved a few more steps toward the house.

"He betrayed me... played me like a fool. That one stop. That one stop!" Aello's voice raised in anger as they reached the door and the ghost lowered the dagger behind their back. "It was all a ploy.. for me to trust him. He sold me, sold me to the highest bidder. And when I begged him for an explanation, he looked at me like I was nothing more than another Miza in his pocket..." For a moment Aello felt the ghost's strength falter, and a sudden sense of urgency ran through it. It was weakening, perhaps having maintained control for too long. But it's grasp on Aello's body was still strong, at least at the moment.

The ghost stopped speaking, apparently done with it's explanation, but Aello could feel a mixture of emotions running through it. Anger, sorrow, and regret to name a few. For a moment it almost seemed like the ghost might relinquish control, but then it was back again in full force. Dagger still behind their back the ghost raised Aello's other hand and knocked hard on the door, a little too hard causing slight pain in Aello's fist. After a moment the ghost knocked again, grasping the dagger tightly in their other hand. Aello could hear movement coming from inside the building, and after a few brief seconds the door finally opened.

ImageAn old man with striking blue eyes peered out, looking Aello up and down before opening the door fully. The man was wearing an old and weathered suit, what looked to have been something quite elegant in it's youth, and had a long pipe in his hand. "Did you need help with something, miss?" The ghost did not respond, only staring at the old man's eyes. Aello felt it's shock, perhaps it had been expecting someone else... but no, those eyes which were so familiar, they could only be the eyes of Nathan from the memory. Aello could feel the ghost slipping, and suddenly she had control of her own voice again, though the rest of her body was still rooted in place.

The old man gave Aello a curious look, taking a whiff of his pipe. "Are you alright, miss? You look like you've seen a ghost."

OOCSorry, these posts aren't the best... it's hard to think of things for you to be able to do considering the ghost is in control of you.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Aello on February 3rd, 2011, 5:34 pm

"Oh... um... sorry," Aello stammered, her face growing red with embarrassment. Her cheeks were starting to grow warm, as Aello struggled to find something to say to the ghost's lover? Was that even the right word? Aello wondered, as she scrambled to come up with anything at all. Something to make her seem... a little more... with it.

Aello shifted her weight uncomfortably from her right foot to her left. She ran her free hand through her hair, "I work for Bailey's Baking Business, we got an order for chocolate chip cookies a few days ago, and I have come to deliver them. This is house number five, isn't it?" Aello asked, proverbially smacking herself in the face, selling cookies? Really Aello, she thought to herself, even more embarrassed than before.

Well, it was too late to take it back now, she thought, as she added, "this is the right house, isn't it?" Aello looked up into Nathan's blue eyes, wondering why they were still standing there, and why Nathan hadn't slammed the door in her face when it was so obvious she had been lying about why they were there.

Hey ghostie, Aello thought, why are we here, why are you relinquishing control over my mouth and nothing else, and why is there a knife behind out back? Wait, a cursed, blood stained knife? Aello started to sweat, did the ghost mean, to kill Nathan? Aello wondered, the initial shock displayed on her delicate features- wide eyes, blanching skin, trembling lip, body wavering ever so slightly. Aello's heart was pounding in her tiny rib cage. If the ghost wanted to kill him, how could she stop it if she had no control over her body? And what if the stryfe found out? What would they do to her? Would they even know that it wasn't really her who had hurt Nathan, but the ghost that had possessed her, Aello wondered, her mind racing as she frantically searched the inner reaches of her mind for an escape; the only way out of this mess, which would hopefully keep everyone involved alive and out of trouble.

OOCThat's ok... a lot of this is a mind game. I mean my pc was possessed, so it should work out ok.

And sorry to pull a girl scout move!
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Verilian on February 6th, 2011, 6:01 pm

The elderly man stared at Aello with an amused expression on his face. Cookies? She was a bit old to be selling cookies door to door, and didn't seem to have any cookies with her or smell of baked goods. She was hiding something behind her back, however, and the amused expression on the old mans face began to fade as recognition crept into his eyes. He took another long draw from his pipe, then set it on a table beside the door and let out an equally long sigh, smoke coming from his mouth and nostrils in ghostly tendrils that reminded Aello that not all was right with her situation.

"So... it comes to this again, does it?"

Aello never had a chance to reply, the ghost snapped back into control. Any thought of escape perished as it screamed from her lungs at the old man. "Why!? Why did you do it, Nathan, why!? You loved me, I know you did!" Aello raised the dagger over her head, ready to plunge it into the mans heart, and the old man only laughed. Aello could see no fear in his eyes, nor love, nor regret, nor any emotion other than acceptance. The old man seemed to have no fight in him as he sighed again. "I never loved you, Cassandra. Let this be done.. I am tired of fighting with you."

For a brief instant the ghosts strength faltered, but then she screamed! "Diiieeeee!!! Die for all you have done!!" The knife plunged downward and into the man's chest. Nathan's eye's widened as the pain hit him, but still there was only acceptance. He let out a small gasp before he collapsed, but the ghost was not done with him. Aello jumped on top of him, plunging the knife into his chest again and again. Blood spattered with each stab of the knife, and each time the man gasped in pain but showed no fear. "Die for what you did to me! Die for what you did to all the others! How many? How many more besides me, Nathan!? How many more did you play to you're hearts desire, then sell us off to be whores!?"

The ghost continued to force Aello's movements, stabbing the knife into Nathan's chest over and over long after the last traces of life had left his eyes. She continued to scream long after his ears could hear them. It seemed like it would never end, and had the ghost a limitless reservoir of strength it might never have, but the ghost did falter eventually. Aello was covered in the blood of the ghost's lover; betrayer. The knife fell from her hand's and she collapsed, her body exhausted from the effort of killing a man but finally her own once again. The ghost was gone from her, though was she gone forever?

Aello, drenched in blood, was left alone in the small dwelling, a dead man beneath her and a bloodied dagger not far from her hands. Were somebody to see her only one thing could be deduced, but by some grace of the gods nobody did come upon them. Aello was alone for the time, and the ghost no longer had hold of her. But the air was still cold...

OOCGod I wish I could draw! I know exactly what I want the picture to look like, but could find nothing online to represent it. *sighs* Okay, so pretend there is a picture of Aello in a dark room sitting on the man's chest looking down at him, knife falling from her hand, and there is blood all over her chest and face, and behind her there is the faint image of the ghost looking down at them both.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Aello on February 6th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Aello bowed her head and closed her eyes. Blood was steadily pooling out of the sides of Nathan's body. His face was growing white, and then a nasty gray shade. His skin was growing colder and colder, as was the air around him, as though the ghost were still looking down upon her and Nathan's body, and perhaps Nathan's ghost stood over her body too. Aello could not be certain, she was too distraught to think straight.

Blood was dripping onto the floor from the tips of her pale fingers, blood was imbedded in the tiny space in-between her nails and finger flesh. Tears were steadily pouring down Aello's face, but she couldn't say why. She hadn't known this man, and technically, she hadn't known the ghost either, but still, she felt the need to cry. If for nothing else but to prove to herself that she was in control again; in control of her feelings, and in control of her trembling body.

Aello lifted a blood-stained hand to her face, and wiped away her tears with the back of it. Smearing her face with a thin sheet of Nathan's blood, filling her nostrils with the metallic scent of it; and the lingering feeling of life, so quickly stamped out by death. Aello's body trembled and heaved, and her hands dropped onto Nathan's chest. His eyes were starting to glaze over, and his lips were parted slightly, exposing a thin line of lightly-yellowed teeth.

Frustrated, Aello pounded on Nathan's chest with her fists. Why did this thing always seem to happen to her? she sobbed, she didn't need this, any of this. The ghosts, the blood, the guilt. The stained clothing, and the risk of being blamed for doing something she had no control over. Aello sniffed and forced the tears to keep from falling. She didn't need them; at least, not right now, but later, they were certain to fall freely.

After a few moments, Aello forced herself to her feet, and looked around the room. Blood caked the wooden floor, clumping around small wisps of dirt and grime; the scattered dust bunny. In the corner, on top of a small table, rested a large metal basin, filled with water. It appeared to have been something Nathan may have used to wash his face when he got up in the morning. Rich people had stuff like that, Aello thought, tilting her head to the side and walking over to it.

Aello stood over it for a moment, staring at her reflection in the water. Her hair was tangled, and flying around her face in all directions. Several knots and strands clung to the side of her face, the thin beads of sweat that lined her cheeks and forehead attaching to them like glue, and forcing them to remain in place. Another series of strands entirely, stuck up at strange angles and swirled around her head like an angry person's aura. Her lips were pink, yet paler than usual. They were trembling slightly. Her eyes were red, and puffy. A thin line of purple hung beneath them; giving the impression that Aello had not slept for quite some time. Her chocolate brown eyes seemed dull, and scared. They seemed wide, and a little glassy, as though she hadn't managed to wash away all the tears just yet. Thin streaks of drying dark red blood lined her cheeks, and just under her eyes. It definitely gave away the fact that she had just assisted in killing someone.

Aello rested her hands on the table that held the basin. They were still trembling, everything had just happened so fast. Her body was still mostly in shock, or perhaps acting all on its own. Because Aello wasn't sure how she felt anymore. She sighed heavily, taking a moment to breath in through her nose, out through the mouth; trying to calm her heart, her shallow breath. But it didn't seem to work. Slowly, Aello lifted her trembling hands, and dipped them into the basin.

Lukewarm water swished around her hands, sending off a slight rippling effect throughout the basin. The blood that had seemed to seep into her skin started to wash away, tainting the water the basin contained; sending swirls of red water out and around Aello's hands.

Aello submerged her hands in the water, and started to scrub them. Rubbing her right hand with the fingers of her left, and vice versa, before it was all gone, and then splashing some water on her face to steady herself, and wash the blood from her cheeks. But all it did was send the blood and water washing down her cheeks in tiny-droplet-sized portions; giving the illusion of make-up streaming down the sides of one's face after having cried for too long.

Feeling like she'd never get to wash all the blood away, Aello looked over her shoulder at Nathan's body. It hadn't moved, not like she expected it to, but it was eerie nonetheless.

Aello lifted her hands out of the water and shook them off before returning to the side of Nathan's body. His skin was growing more and more grey, doing her best to ignore it, Aello gathered her things. Her bow hung limply in her right hand, and her bag and quiver were still strung across her back and over her shoulder. Her knife was now safe in its hiding place; she hadn't bothered to wipe it off, knowing such a thing was pointless anyway.

When she had all of her things together, Aello glanced wildly around her, she wanted to make sure that no one was looking as she made her exit. When she was certain the ghost was clear, Aello stepped into the street, and as silently as possible, shut the door behind her. The people of Ravok didn't need to see Nathan's body right now. Of course, they'd be smelling his rotting corpse in a few days, but they didn't need to know now that the man was dead.

After shutting the door behind her, Aello crept down the street as silently as she could. Her head hung, her eyes never leaving the ground. She couldn't shake the feeling that even though she had looked before leaving Nathan's, that someone was following her, or at the very least, that someone was watching her every move. Not wanting to give her growing level of paranoia, however, Aello never bothered to turn around to look. The ground would have to be enough for her.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Verilian on February 13th, 2011, 1:06 am

As Aello wandered the streets the feeling of being watched did not fade. Little did she know though, there were more than ethereal eyes upon her as she exited Nathan's home, leaving his lifeless body behind. A pair of pale white eyes watched with approval as Aello left the scene of the crime, and the hooded figure entered the house to clean up the mess. Word of the man's death would never reach the streets of Ravok, and Aello was left to wander alone and safe.

Well.. not entirely alone. Aello was not able to shake the feeling of being watched as she wandered through the back alleys, no particular destination in mind. But her movements were not entirely her own, and while she thought she was just wandering aimlessly her steps were being subtly guided back to the place where it all started. Before she realized it Aello found herself standing outside the door to the building where she'd first encountered the ghost, and a cool breeze washed over her.

Before her the ghost materialized, it's image blurry and weak but not fully transparent either. The ghost reached a hand toward Aello, but did not come close enough to touch. Aello found she could move if she wanted, the ghost had no control over her anymore, but neither did it seem to be threatening her. The ghost's hand fell back to it's side and it whispered quietly, just loud enough for Aello to hear. "Thankyou... thankyou for helping me." The ghost seemed to hold a hint of remorse behind the thankfulness in it's voice. The ghost fell silent, though it's image remained, and seemed to be waiting for Aello to say something back.

OOCSorry for taking so long. Just got a new job and still trying to figure out how to work everything into it.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Aello on February 13th, 2011, 1:37 am

"For helping you with what?" Aello asked, slightly confused, and still startled by everything that had just transpired. She was happy to have her body back, but not happy about everything that had happened, because lets face it, she would be the one getting in trouble if someone ever did find that body, which they were sure to do.

"I didn't do anything, it was all you, you know. Seemingly guiding me to this place, in which you became free once more. Then possessing me, and using my body to have your revenge..." Aello's voice trailed off as she tilted her head to the side, and gazed sadly upon the ghost. Her eyes seemed to be fighting back tears, but so forcefully, that they hardly seemed to show. "You did all the work. Lifting the blade, thrusting it into him, over and over until he lay dead..." Aello's voice was wavering, her pale pink lips were trembling as she spoke. "It was all you, I just supplied the body, and remained a third-party bystander."

A clump had risen in Aello's throat, making it difficult for her to breath. She swallowed heavily, trying to clear it away. Her efforts were in vain however, and soon realizing this, she decided to ignore it and continue speaking; allowing everything that was on her mind to escape her through words. "I am the only one who could ever get in trouble for this, the one who shall be blamed. The one who shall be forever traumatized by everything that has happened, while you may now rest easy; knowing that you have taken your revenge. Claimed the very life that has caused you so much pain, so much sorrow. Not only that, but you ended the life of someone who may have done this to others. And even so, my heart cannot forgive you. I know why you did it, I could feel your sorrow and your anger, and understand you actions. But I still FEEL as though you have taken advantage of me. Used me as a sort of puppet to do your bidding. You do understand that?" Aello asked, her voice soft, but filled with longing... longing for the answer to all of her questions. A longing to understand this whole event. "Don't you?"

A steady stream of tears had started falling down Aello's cheeks, and dripping off the side of her chin as she stared at the ghost and the place where this whole nightmare had began. She wiped a few of the tears away with the back of her hand and then reached for the doorknob. She felt the sudden urge to go back inside, but she wasn't sure why that was. As she jiggled the doorknob again, she realized that the door was locked. There was no going inside.

Confused, Aello looked over at the ghost, as though she were the one who could provide her with some sort of explanation.
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Verilian on February 22nd, 2011, 4:47 pm

A confused expression came over the ghosts face, and it's image flickered in and out as Aello berated it. The ghost was silent as Aello let it all out, hovering slightly above the ground. Aello could through the ghost to the building behind it. It's face betrayed no regret as she continued and broke into tears, and only confusion remained in it's expression. When Aello finally finished and tried to open the door, finding it locked tight, the ghost finally responded.

"But... you are the one who called out to me. I heard you.. a voice, calling to me when all was lost."

Cassandra pointed at the place where Aello kept the dagger hidden away, the confused expression still on her face. The dagger which just Aello couldn't seem to get rid of. "You carry the dagger.." The ghost's image flickered out for a moment, and when it returned it was slightly less solid than before. "I heard you, and I used what strength I had to find you and guide you to me. You came, and you set me free." The ghost began to fade then, flickering in and out. "I am sorry if you get in trouble... but I don't think you will." Cassandra's gaze shifted back to the dagger, a far off look in it's eyes.

"I still hear it... it still calls. There is much left to do."

The ghost disappeared suddenly, leaving Aello alone in the alley and probably with many more questions left unanswered. Unfortunately the ghost would not respond if she tried to call out to it. She could not feel the ghost's presence anymore either, and the alley suddenly grew a bit warmer. Whatever had happened to her, Cassandra was no longer around. Aello was alone again, in a dark alley way, where so many strange things always seemed to happen to her...

OOCSorry for taking so long to respond. I have a new job and I had to get used to my new work schedule. I should be back to speed now. Anyway, feel free to make a final post, and then I'll post up xp.
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Aello on February 23rd, 2011, 7:53 pm

OOCOh that's ok, I know everybody is very busy nowadays!

"Call out to you?" Aello's voice stammered as she took a half a step back, and looked at the ghost with a confused expression upon her face. "I did no such thing. Never have I called out to a ghost... surely you made that up, or are simply imagining things," she added.

As the ghost pointed to where Aello hid the dagger, Aello found that she couldn't help but look. She gasped as she came to the realization that this dagger may have been cursed in such a way that it attracted ghosts. "Are you saying," Aello began, "that the dagger was what brought you here?" Aello's swallowed a large clump in her throat before she continued. "It was all the dagger's fault..."

Aello looked back up at the ghost again as the last of her tears fell from her tear ducts. "And thanks... I think... for that vote of confidence, not like it matters, whatever happens now, to each of us, shall happen."

Aello took another half a step back as the ghost vanished, and the air that surrounded her became far warmer. "Good-bye ghosty," Aello whispered, as she gave a little wave with her left hand, towards the area in which Cassandra had just stood. "Until our paths do cross," she added, before taking a few more cautious steps away, and then turning abruptly on her heels, and running from the spot. She wanted to leave it as far behind her as she could. Yet, at the same time, she couldn't help but feel that this wouldn't be the only time she met Cassandra's ghost. Not only that, but if and when they did meet again, she'd make sure that Cassandra answered each one of her questions, and any questions that may arise from those questions.

The End
Aello
Looking For Answers

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ghost Strings (Verilian)

Postby Verilian on March 5th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Aello

• +5 Spiritism
  • +3 Investigation
  • +1 Dagger
  • +1 Persuasion
  • +3 Observation
  • +1 Stealth

You Question My Logic? :
Alrighty, I dished out a lot of xp here. Gave you max spiritism, I would have given more if I could. Investigation for the beggining when you were trying to figure out what was going on. Persuasion for the cookies, dagger for the stabbing, and stealth for fleeing the scene. The observation was for... well, helplessly observing while the ghost made you kill a man. As always, if you feel I left anything out or were short handed in any form or fashion, just send me a PM and I will reconsider.

Lores:The stuff in parenthesis you don't have to copy.. its just to specify what the lore is for. That might be obvious, but just pointing it out. Citrus Shower, Trapped by a Ghost, Lore of Binding a Ghost - Poor (basically, you know that there is a way to tie up a ghost, perhaps using soulmist and rope?), Tricky Spirits, Being Possessed by a Malevolent Spirit, Lore of Cassandra the Ghost, Lore of Being Possessed - Basic (upgrade your current), Sharing Memories, Being the Puppet, Murderer, Being Helpless to Stop It, Washing it Away, Fleeing the Scene, Lore of the Cursed Dagger - Poor (it always comes back, and it apparently calls ghosts to it), It was all the Dagger's Fault

Notes: I loved doing this thread with you. Sorry it took me so long to grade it, but I've got a lot of threads going on with all my characters, and was really backed up with grading. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it. Also, in the future, if you wish to do another.. Cassandra is not finished with you. Perhaps at the next skill level, when you can fight back better?
-----
Verilian
Retired Staff

Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook

Previous