Closed A Goal Without A Plan

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Nephti on January 5th, 2017, 8:42 pm

23rd Winter 516

She was useless. She was so utterly useless. She had spent all day, all night, all of yesterday, thinking, trying to come up with something. Anything, any form of a plan. But she couldn't, and she didn't understand why. Perhaps it was the emotion churning through her, as it always would, making her so horrified. Perhaps it was Alex's words, about not doing things she would have wanted to do. Perhaps it was because she had no idea how to react to this. Anything she could do could go wrong, and this time, it meant lives, including her own, were at stake. Perhaps everything that she was holding on the line made her doubt her plans. Their effectiveness and their safety.

As much as she didn't want to admit defeat, she knew that returning to Alex seemed like a good idea. He knew what he was doing, and he supported her. And the man spoke with wisdom that could only come from experience. Even if she disagreed with things he said, she agreed with others. He could help. The Eypharian needed his help, and it wasn't just because she couldn't find anyone else.

The girl pulled her hair up out of her face, letting her large innocent eyes shine through, before getting up from where she was lying on her bed, sprawled out and staring at the ceiling. She didn't need anything, so left with nothing, shutting the door carefully and moving through the corridors searching for Alex's room.

As she reached it, she reconsidered for a second. Maybe she should spend longer searching for Claudia, or Rosca. They were more helpful - they knew her more and both had promised to help her whatever she did. She did only know Alex from two days ago. Or more importantly, he only knew her. He had no idea what she would do, what she could do.

Before she could change her mind, she knocked sharply, waiting to be let in. Let Alex help her, then she could let the others help her choose. Her body trembled, before she closed her eyes, reminding herself why she did this. There was nothing to be scared of. Priskil would protect her. Exhaling sharply, she knocked again, ready with a smile for when Alex opened it.

Nephti
Player

Words: 198805
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2015, 5:44 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 5th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Description "Alex Common" Alex thoughts "Myrian" "Fratava" "Others"

The midday sun hung low in the sky as Alex sat hunched over the desk in his room. The wrist crossbow that Garland had bought him being worked on. He wasn’t really checking it’s construction nor how it worked. Instead he was simply checking to make sure it worked well. And that nothing was in need of repair. After all there was nothing worse than a tool which didn’t work at the exact moment you needed it too. The moment his hands slipped the bowstring over the limbs he heard a sharp rapping at the door.

With a sharp snap of his head around he sighed. He never could do anything in peace and quiet. Standing up leaving his shirt over the back of the chair he’d been working at he stepped over to the door. Whoever it was hadn’t called at the best of times but he’d deal with it as he usually did everyone. His hand gripped the doorknob slowly as he pulled the door open a crack with a small tension. Peeking out through, he recognized the face instantly. So she was back for his advice or at least his help again.

“Pleasure to see you again Nephti.” He spoke calmly as he pulled open the door. And allowed her entry. As usual the one thing which stood out when he was without a shirt was the large scar over his left shoulder. With a suspicious resemblance to a sun. “To what do I owe the honour?” He spoke swinging a hand back and then as she entered closed the door.

“Have you finally crafted a plan together or perhaps you come in search of advice?” He spoke with a small lightness to his words in his usual airy and soft voice. Outside of his armour and without any weapons adorned he looked like a regular person someone who would be easily walked by on the street yet still there was a general feeling of disarming peacefulness surrounding him. Whether it was from his general demeanour or his actions it remained to be told.

He slipped back down into the seat he was prior to the call to the door. And offered the much softer seating of the bed to Nephti.

Alexander Faircroft
A criminal, without a crime.

Words: 945306
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2016, 9:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Nephti on January 5th, 2017, 9:57 pm

He opened the door, shirtless, and she started to worry that she was bothering him. But he let her in, and the girl moved in, spotting the crossbow that he had been working on. Of course. She didn't have to know him long to know how much he spent with weapons. Despite all that, he seemed almost normal, without his armour or his weapons on him. Someone she wouldn't take a second look at if she passed him in the street. He had the best of both worlds.

Her eyes flickered back to him, a sun shaped scar staring back at her. "How did that happen?" she asked, not caring too much if it was a delicate subject. That was, not caring if he chose to refuse her. Some things were better kept to themselves, and while Nephti didn't have many secrets of her own, she respected that others might have.

Settling on the bed where he had gestured, she relaxed, more used to it all compared to last time. "I hope you don't mind me," she said, still holding the smile she had put on before he had opened the door. There was less seriousness to her, with her smile and light tone, the conversation not going dark. That didn't mean she wasn't taking things seriously. It was just that she wanted to show him she could have both worlds too.

"Advice," she replied simply, deciding to not try complicate it with long, hard sentences. She didn't to. They both knew what they were talking about, and a single word had the same meaning as a longer sentence. Maybe she could explain, but what was there to explain? "I can not think of plan," she decided was enough so he knew exactly how to help her, "I want your help." That was obvious, she wouldn't be here otherwise.

She leant back a bit, eyes searching the room out of interest. Had anything changed? She doubted it, but it kept her busy, letting her think. Her plans had consisted of trying to find the Vantha - something Alex had warned her against many times - and trying to convince people that Vantha hunting was useless. Neither sounded very successful, but if Alex asked if she had anything, she'd tell him that.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 5th, 2017, 10:21 pm

As usual the comment came about the mark over his shoulder. One that never seemed to escape notice nor mention. “Old injury from a long time ago. Barbed arrow heads don’t sit well.” His words despite how joking and light he tried to make them seem came out with a weight to them that seemed to curry across the fact it wasn’t as small an issue as he made it appear.

That smile that graced her features as a little too light for him a little too bright. Something about it spoke of someone who’d never seen what people were truly capable of. “I don’t mind the company. Just doing some maintenance on something a friend got me before I left.” He glanced over at the wrist crossbow and gave a small smile. The image of his good friend springing to the fore front of his mind.

“Advice? The last time I gave my advice if I recall correctly and I always do. I believe you said there had to be another way. Have you come around or perhaps you’re seeking an alternative to both?” Alex spoke with a tone that conveyed not a sense of arrogance but acceptance. She didn’t come her because she wanted too, but because she had too. That much was clear even from his poor perception.

“So that’s the way of it.” He began shifting around and slipping his legs beneath the table. He pushed the crossbow to the side lightly before pulling a pieced of parchment and a quill which the room supplied together and started to formulate a small plan. Writing out the basics he began to formulate the words into complete sentences as he glanced back across to her.

“With regards to helping them you want to hunt them down to hide them and I say they’re doing a pretty good job themselves of keeping hidden. So how about a compromise?” He spoke writing out a small series of phrases on the parchment. With conjoining words. “If you hunt one down or at the very least find one. Then find me as soon as you can.” He didn’t want to sound arrogant nor was he trying too but from all those he’d met thus far he was far and away the only one who knew how to fight. And if one of the hunters came after them he’d be the only bastion of defence in this instance.

“And with regartds to hiding them I have not the slightest idea of how to do that other than perhaps hide them in the jungle portion of Alvadas that’s cropped up. That would be the best bet.” His plans or at least advice had been a bit shakey but he handed her a piece of parchment saying two things very clearly.

The city has eyes and ears everywhere so watch the words you speak.

Those you think of as friends could turn out to be your greatest foes over the next few days be cautious of everyone. Including me.

As she took her time to read it he leant back in his seat. A look of caution and warning glistening at the corner of his eyes.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Nephti on January 11th, 2017, 6:20 pm

The reply he gave to his scar was jokey and light hearted, something she would say about the few she owned too, remnants from her slavery, but just like it would be with her, there was a deeper undertone to his reply, a story he was telling because it wasn't important - rather, he didn't deem it important enough to be said here and now. Any story was important if it was one that needed to be hidden.

"Both. I can not sit and do nothing. I have to do something. Even if it is not big." She watched as he took some paper, began to write, making a plan. What he said was a good plan. If she found someone, Alex would be a good place to take them. From the vast array of weapons he owned, and appeared to know how to use, she could tell he could fight. He could defend them, if the hunters came.

And the jungle sounded very safe. But it wasn't the right place. It was full of Ionu and full of danger. It wasn't a place to hide. If they wanted one, it would be found in the Underground. She wasn't certain where, but she knew that it was the safest place to go. At least, that was what her gut told her.

She was about to say it as Alex passed her the paper, two sentences written clearly. It took her a few moments to read them, trying to say the words in her mind as she did. Be cautious of everyone. Friends would turn to foes. Even him. Her eyes flickered up, wondering why he would warn her of himself.

Was he good, and warning her of everyone to show her that? Surely no one who was evil would tell her that, and make her consider it. Unless he was crazy, or playing a little game with how long and how much he could make her trust him. She couldn't tell - he seemed like a nice guy, but perhaps this look was deceiving.

But he was wrong about not being able to fully trust anyone. She knew people she could trust with her life. Because if she couldn't trust them, she couldn't ever trust anyone. They were the people who proved themselves, in some way that she couldn't ignore. Alex lay on the middle. He had yet to do anything significant, but she would assume he was on her side - he agreed with her at the very least - until he proved himself either way. She would just be careful not to speak of anything very important to him. Unless it was too important... This was getting complicated. It was better to just trust him.

"I do not want to hide them," she whispered, keeping her voice low with his warning, "or... I am not wanting to hide them with this plan. I see what you have said. If they hide now, they hide well. There is no point. But I can help, another way. I know, I just do not know way."

She wished she could write. She wished she could communicate silently to him as he had done to her. But it took far too long for her to write, she knew that well. Every word was excruciating and her spelling was atrocious. She had never had to write out of necessity. The last time was probably in Ahnatep, when she was still being taught it properly. Instead, she had to resort to a quiet voice, feeling it was the best she could do.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 11th, 2017, 6:53 pm

As she read the paper he considered how she could do something perhaps anything. His mind traced down multiple paths at once running overtime trying to see each course of action to its terminus. And almost every single one ended poorly. Heck even his own ideas and plans came down a path that didn’t end well for him with what he knew he could do.
“Doing nothing is something. Sometimes you have to have the trust in people to know that they themselves have the power to shape their own fates.” He paused a moment looking at the glint in her face as she read the paper and he hoped she caught its meaning. Which was simply the fact that even here, someone could have been listening in on the conversation. But no from how she spoke he could tell clearly she hadn’t quite gotten the full weight of what he’d written. Pulling the paper out of her hands with a sharp but subtle tug eh started to write out another line upon the paper addendum to the last ones.

Turning and handing the paper back to her the new line read.
People could be speaking without thinking, and as such keeping the words you choose ambiguous would be best. Even here.
“Helping another way? What other way could you help? Speaking out is akin to a death sentence for yourself. Leaving a trial of breadcrumbs or even small hints as to where to go is pointless as one of the hunters or anyone who lives in Alvadas at least from what I’ve seen would be able to figure it out."

He folded his arms across his chest lifting his right hand to rub the spot beneath his nose lightly. “There is perhaps one way. If we can’t hide them or show them up. We can’t support them openly then perhaps we support them from the shadows? If we cannot be the light to guide their path, then perhaps we become the darkness to shield them?” He spoke with a roundabout method, perhaps sometimes the best way to keep people safe was simply to say you hadn’t seen them nor involved yourself with them at any point. Which for Alex was an easy fair, especially with his time in Alvadas being limited to less than fifteen days by this point.
“If you cannot fight, cannot give them a voice, cannot give them haven, then simply you support their cause by doing whatever else you can.” Though the term of giving whatever else they could was often lost, because most didn’t know what that involved. And he himself could do very little In the way of offering them anything but he’d try his damnedest to do something for them. He’d fight for them and he’d offer them haven. And that was the best he could do within this city.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Nephti on January 14th, 2017, 10:54 pm

"Nothing is nothing," she sighed, looking up at him. Her eyes were heavy, full of hope that she wanted to use but didn't know how to spread it. As he tugged the paper from his hand, she wondered what she had done wrong, but said nothing, thinking. "I want to trust but I know how people can need hope. Just that. It is what I do." She pressed her hands into the gnosis mark as she took the paper back, reading it over again. It was no use. Ambiguous? She had no clue what he meant - whether it was the word itself or her inability to read it properly.

She threw the paper back at him lightly, scrunched in a small ball and shrugging. "My common is not good. I am sorry," she apologised, not really certain why. There was nothing wrong with that. She tried the best she could and he had to understand that. Talking in a round about way was safer, that was true, but it meant the girl struggled to understand. She spent so long trying to understand him, that she couldn't think about what she said until much later and the effect of the words were gone, lost on her.

He spoke with a "we" but she wondered how much of that was true and how much she knew would never be her. She was always the light, that guided and strengthened and filled people without hope so they could do whatever they needed to do. To become darkness - she wasn't sure how literal he was being, but she couldn't do that. That wasn't why Priskil marked her. And she wasn't certain how to shield them. He wasn't making any sense, to her anyway.

As he spoke about what they could not do, Nephti decided one what she was going to do. They needed a voice. None could step out of the shadows for long enough to give it. Nephti had a chance, and she was willing to step up to take it, no matter the consequences. People knew her - they knew her as a young girl who looked up for those who needed help, someone who wanted life and good. She had helped the Zith, helped look for the missing people. She had entered the door to fight the undead. She had spoken for Priskil, and for hope.

The girl knew that if she got up and spoke, someone would listen to her. That she would be given enough time to say what she needed until something happened. And she knew she wanted to risk it.

"I will give my voice." She didn't care that he had told her that she couldn't. He didn't know how much she was willing to fight, to do what was right. "I can, I know I can. I do not know what else you are saying. You do not know me." It wasn't an accusation, but a simple statement. One she hoped would explain everything. "Will you at least help me do that?" Even if it was just advice, or something. He could then claim he was on the Vantha side and hunt her for all she cared. She just needed this first bit of help.

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 14th, 2017, 11:38 pm

When she spoke Alex looked at her with a sharp glance.
“Nothing is nothing. Think about those words. No Action is insignificant. No word has no meaning. You have to be exceedingly careful. Were this against mere mortals with mortal levels of strength and resources then this wouldn’t be as much of a challenge.” Again he spoke in response making sure to get his point across. Sometimes trying to get a point across took a lot more than simple conjecture, as with what was in front of him he now had to take a leaf out of garlands book. He’d always been a scalpel, time to be a sledge hammer.

“If your common isn’t good then listen closely to what I say.” He took the time to speak slowly not to insult her but to get the message across. “I know you want to be a hope for them, a light for them, but sometimes what gives people hope is the shadow the light casts. If you stand up and speak for them I can guarantee you one of two out comes. Without a single doubt in my mind.” He shifted around in the chair now.

“You die.”

That was as blunt as he could put it.

“You die, and everyone you know dies too.”

Those were as short and sweet as he could make his answers.
“That make things a little clearer for you? I know you want to give them hope but it’s kinda difficult to give a voice when your throats been cut isn’t it? You need to stop, slow down and think. If you act rashly all you’re going to do is get those you care about and yourself killed. And as much as you have the way of it. I don’t know you, and for a dead certain you don’t know me.”

He finally rose out of his seat throwing his shirt on over his shoulders. And then returned his look to her. “I may not know you but I can guess three things from how you’ve acted. Fistly, you’re headstrong. You refuse to move on something where there is no path forwards. Secondly, you’re naïve. If you honestly think giving them a voice at this early juncture is going to help you’re sadly and sorely mistaken. Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, you can’t see the other options. If you think that there are simply two paths to give people hope then you are wrong.”

Alex closed his eyes knowing full well that at any moment he could have simply broken but something kept him going. Exhaling slowly he looked down too her not on or at her but too her. His voice slow methodical but not uncaring. “The best way to help as I’ve said is to simply let them disappear. What’s harder than trying to catch smoke with your bare hands? Trying to see past the brightest light. To put this in terms you may better understand, if you want to help them hide shine so brightly that you block the view of those who would search. Stand in their way, and deny them the truth. You don’t need to actively seek them out in order to help them you just need to hinder those who would hunt them.”

His words now carried something other than weight. They carried a purpose. They carried a resolution, a resolve, and a will. Something stronger than even the gods could break. “If you can’t fight. Run. If you can’t run. Hide. If you can’t hide. Then pray to whichever god you believe in that you know someone who can fight for you. Remember those words. Because if you speak out, and it goes poorly then, you won’t be able to run, and you certainly won’t be able to hide. So you fight, or you find me.”

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Nephti on January 18th, 2017, 9:35 pm

The more he spoke, the more she got lost in his words, falling deeper and deeper in the hole of not understanding. It was hard, especially now, with his more cryptic sentences that were meant to protect them. That, and the fact her mind was all of the place, panicking, terrified, yet fighting to show the strength and hope she knew she had.

Was death really something she wanted to risk? No, it wasn't, but she had to try. Had to do something. But everything seemed to lead to death and the girl hung her head in her hands, trying to think, trying to understand. "I wish..." she whispered, not knowing what she wished. More guidance, more support, a path to follow rather than to pick which was right. "I wish Priskil to tell me what to do. How to serve her the best. Because I do not know anymore."

There were more than two paths, she could see that. She just couldn't see what they were. All paths looked treacherous, and some less inviting than others. Their destinations were all unknown, and she couldn't even guess any of them. She hated this not knowing. It seemed it was all that she had in her life - perhaps it was what everyone had. Choices to make that they could never know which was the best.

What he said made perfect sense. She could shine. She could shine brighter than anyone could notice. "But how?" she asked, deciding it was the best way forward, "How do I shine? What do I do?" He didn't meant in the physical sense - what he meant, she couldn't guess. How could she shine, not just brightly, but bright enough to block their view, to coax them away?

"I can always run and hide," she decided, knowing that there was the Underground, the other cities, the places where she could run to. Even if it meant crossing Mizahar, there were places she would be safe. But she knew he was also right. Sometimes, there wasn't time to hide or to run. Sometimes, she had to fight, or have someone fight for her.

She knew people. She always knew people - Claudia was the first that came to mind, she had promised to protect her in times she needed it. And now she knew Alex as well. "But I will find you. Someone. Thank you." She felt like she had taken too much, with nothing to give. Yet everything she had tried to give, he had refused it too. "And if you need to know someone, somewhere, in Alvadas. Ask me. If you need a gnosis. Ask me. Anything, ask. Because you give too much to me. Thank you."

Nephti
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Goal Without A Plan

Postby Alexander Faircroft on January 18th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Finally. Finally his words were starting to get through to her. He could see the analogies and the other options pushing through that thick boundary. Sometimes all it took was a change of terminology to get the point across. Something he’d have to remember for future use. But even still she wished for divine guidance, and as much as he could sympathise he had to say what needed to be said.
“You can’t always rely on the gods for guidance.” His words were measured constrained to as not to appear like he was pushing a jab towards them but still. “Not everything will be shown to you. Sometimes a leap of faith and a step of logic are needed. If you reply on divine inspiration for every move you make, you’ll go nowhere.” He spoke in such a sharp tone that it almost felt like his faith in them was waning.

“How do you shine? Do what you do best. Use the skills you have at your disposal, polish them like a gem and use them in the way that fits best. I talk. I fight. And that’s about all I can do. So I make sure I do them to best I can, so that should it come down to it I can talk a situation down, lie my way out of one or simply push through with raw force. Because that’s all some people understand.”
He leant back into the chair now balancing it on it’s two rear legs as he did so. Though the moment she spoke about always being able to run and hide he cut in at that moment before she could continue on. “Then all you’ll do is die tired and scared.” However when her words continued on and she spoke about finding him or someone else he just nodded.

“Don’t worry about thanking me. Someone has to be willing to stand up for those who can’t stand for themselves. Someone has to be able to fight for those who can’t or won’t.” His words were much heavier, the tone he carried was one of a sense of duty of purpose. He knew flat and true that he was going to be that someone. Again though she spoke about an offer of something anything and again he spoke out with a resigned tone. “Thank you for the offer but no. If I cannot do it under my own strength my own resources than I have no right to say I can help anyone.” Though at her words of asking for anything he just cocked a small smile. “Don’t tell people they can ask for anything. Because people will always take more than they give. And I’ve given you nothing. So I expect nothing in return.” With that comment he closed his eyes briefly a small smile tinged with genuine happiness at it’s corners and profound sadness at its core marked his face. The first of both she’d of seen on him which marked him as actually human in a sense.

Alexander Faircroft

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next