A Simple Man (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Wystern on January 22nd, 2011, 7:59 am

"Perhaps I have overdone it," Wys murmured to himself as the kitten spun out of control. Too much force, perhaps the emotions have an effect on the casting. The more he feels - the more force, and Wystern still had the urge to cast, but it just wasn't a great idea right now. Note to self, precision casting might be a great thing to focus on. But then again, whatever, the thing was annoying, and if it felt all the anger and fear, just as well. It was plain disrespectful to ignore Wystern and that's what happens. He didn't pick on her because of her size, he picked on her because of the way she treated him. Then Leto started talking about the strider.

"That's a nice horse, Leto. I had a Tiaden a while ago myself, until the accident," Wys said and his gaze trailed down to the cane. Ariel finally got back and started the amusing rant. Until it she started blatantly insulting him, then it was difficult to not laugh. Still, she deserves a little dignity, no? The answer was "yes", but this was just too good to pass up, so Wys leaned towards the "no".

"Wonderful, I see it from your point of view, metaphorically, because I can't stoop so low, literally. Now let's see it from mine. From my point of view you climbed into my hand of your own accord. Had you not, I would have just left you there and then. I left you in the control all the time. You always had the option to just tell me "no" and leave. You then lied to me about it and you have wasted my very precious time for something that could have included an actual teacher. When you left without an explanation, I chased you down just to hear why, why you lied to me," Wys said in a slightly comedic, confused tone of voice, feeling every emotion from back then again, all the hope risen and the cruel realization crumbling that hope down. The Knight actually started to dislike her more and more with each second passing, he never stated it that way until now. Wys never flared up, not openly, a lot of feelings suppressed now they were slowly oozing out.

"Right there, THERE you had the chance to let me return to Syliras, but no, no, no, no, you screwed me over and and had me waste yet another day, stuck here! Every day, every day, I'm here is another day I could be getting home. But you, you, my little friend, you had the chance to end my quest, but you chose to look the other way, just wasted another bit of my precious time that I could have used to look for a stronger healer or someone worthwhile. And then I found out that whatever fickle powers you had, you couldn't even use right! You are just as blind as the rest of us. You have mistaken my complete honesty and intentions, you called me a liar, you called me no-good, and the worst of all, you called me powerless. You have struck where it hurt, the reason I want to get out of here," his voice carrying the same cutting edge and coldness as his weapon. His hands wanted to reach for Ararna, but the code stopped him. And he would follow the code because it kept him sane.

"Go ahead, curse at me all you want, wish for my death. Yes, all the bad things that I have done to you," he said with painful sarcasm. "If I was a worse man that wasn't following an honor code, then you would have been dead. I would have killed you right there, on the spot, no fear, no regret, nothing good would leave the world. Magic against your mount? Pity that your mount is pissing me off because he possesses the same malicious ignorance as you. Unlike the two of us, you are not left broken and bruised, your legs aren't left unusable for four months after a little ride. You did not suffer from the muscle atrophy or the recovery process. You were not bound to bed, alone, just your weapon to make you company, and a little kit to take care of it. It's a miracle that I'm alive... as are you," Wys spoke with a merciless note. Res was just begging to be formed and thrown at her, he could almost feel the wind drawing at his fingertips. "Oh, and I would love to die doing what I do as Knight. In this profession I think about my own death a lot,"

"I shouldn't have averted my foot back then, the less I knew," he sighed, out of breath. Suddenly, after saying all those things he felt lighter, weight dropped off his shoulders. A few feelings got hurt, too bad, she could have released him sooner. Ariel can hate Wys all she wants, but she will never understand the pressure and the depression he felt. The depression was gone now, and it was decreased even more now that he let loose. If you call a barely raised tone letting loose.

If gods are watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Words: 160798
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Leto Sunsinger on January 22nd, 2011, 9:54 pm

This was becoming more and more interesting by the minute. As Leto listened to both of their stories, he was beginning to realize how simple of a man he truly was compared to some people. As Wys went on his own rant after Ariel went upon hers, Arias trotted over towards him, and nudged his cloak a bit, the man allowing it to unclasp and fall down around him. Upon his upper arms, one could see tattoes and runes drawn all over him, but there were also scars that were there as well. Allowing his dark gaze to look up towards Wys, first, he then looked down towards Ariel. His upper body was quite scarred up, and though they couldn't see the scars upon his stomach and back, as the leather vest he was wearing covered them, they could obviously see that he was injured pretty badly from some time before.

But what was more bleedingly obvious was that Leto was apart of the ruby clan, he had earned his windmarks through his practice with glyphs and his bonding to Arias. He had done more than enough to earn them, even if it was later in life that he had bonded to his strider. Looking towards Wys, he finally sighed as Wys finished his rant, and Ariel finished hers. Complications were always there, and even so, somebody was lying. He was generally a fairly anti-social person, but he had made his aunt and himself a promise that he would come out and become more of a sociable person, instead of being stuck inside the pavilion for over half of his current lifetime.

As the cool breeze gently shook the hairs upon his head, he looked down towards the ground, his gaze a bit downcast, but then finally looked up towards Wys. One question was bearing to both of them, and he wanted to know the answer as to why it was. Looking at both of them, he finally asked, "Why are you both here? In Endrykas... what were your reasons for coming to the moving city in the Cyphrus region?" If anything, they were outsiders and not apart of the clan, he didn't know why they were within the Drykas Territory, but figured that whatever the reason, it had to be something both of them wanted from the Drykas. And neither of them could have made it here without the assistance of a Drykas.

So, the question then remained, why were both of them here, in this place he called home. If they didn't have a reason for being here, then he saw no reason for them to continue being here, and would perhaps take the necessary precautions to help them get out of Endrykas, safely, with the guard of the Diamond clan, if they would help them out. He doubted it since neither of them happened to be of the clans, have windmarks, or anything of that sort. But there was the off chance both of them could make it to Riverfall, the home of the Akalaks, the blue warriors. But that depended on if they had a viable reason for being in Endrykas, and he wished to know why they were here, whether it was to trade goods, learn from the valuable teachers endrykas holds, or some other reason...
Back again... for a lil longer this time I hope.
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Words: 168911
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2011, 7:04 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Ariel on January 23rd, 2011, 12:22 am

Ariel folded her arms over her chest. "Ohhh booooo whoooo, so you have to spend another day here, big frickin' deal. It's not like the Drykas are mean, or you're stuck in jail or anything. Besides, I think the fresh air would do you some good, because by the looks of things, you've been cooped up in that over-sized castle for far too long, and the stale air has gone to your head and made you socially awkward, and simply rude." Ariel paused, taking a deep breath in through the nose, and then out through her mouth, she was practically sucking in air with each of her deep inhalations.

"And obviously, you know nothing of my race, for if you did, you would know that although, as you have mentioned, we do not bruise or bleed, WE DO take time to heal, mind you it may not take anywhere as long as the sorry likes of you, but it takes time nonetheless, and we DO feel pain, and we DO have feelings, just like you pig-headed no-good, self-absorbed numskulls..." Ariel finished huffing and puffing, the red pigmentation in her cheeks becoming more and more prevalent. A few moments passed in silence, before Ariel added added, "and you're all giant crybabies," under her breath, too quiet for anyone to hear her.

A few moments passed before Leto's question. What were the two of them doing in Endrykas? the drykas wondered. Ariel dug into Rafael's legs with the stirrups slightly, as she unfolded her tiny clay arms and held firmly onto the reigns again. "I came here with my friend, Yari a few weeks ago. I came here in her pocket, and have been exploring and adventuring; learning new things since I got here... there's no point in living if you're not out exploring and obtaining knowledge now is there?" Ariel asked no one in particular, but she did cast a side-long glance at the knight. Ariel couldn't help but feel that the man was rather provincial, un-educated, and not even remotely honest with himself or others. Ariel sighed, as she looked back up at Leto, whose cloak had been unclasped, revealing a multitude of tattoos and runes. Ariel didn't even know where to look, all of it was strangely beautiful and alluring, yet at the same time, Ariel found that it hurt her head. So she looked down at Rafael's spiked fur instead, and waited for the next person to break the temporary silence that surrounded them.
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Wystern on January 25th, 2011, 7:55 am

"I have to spend another day here? Oh, you don't understand, as if I thought you would. You have wasted another day in addition to the time until I have found someone. Which was four days. You could have saved me four days," he replied sternly. This Pycon moron was getting on his nerves. Pain? What does she know about pain? Did she get steel through the stomach and a permanently broken leg?

"Feel free to waste your pitiful time, but don't you dare take mine away. And no, the Drykas are very nice people who took care of me and they have saved my life, for which I will be eternally grateful. Regardless I am still stuck here against my will, held by conditions which need to be changed for me to leave. My home is Syliras, I am an outsider here, I don't belong in Endrykas; and neither do you, but unlike me, you do not belong anywhere," Wys stated with the same icy tone and an unsettling lack of hatred, just complete steel voice, virtually no emotion. Feelings huh? Did she ever feel depression like he has? Hopelessness? And still couldn't feel fear? Could she imagine how terrible it was?

"I must get back to Syliras because it is my duty, and as much as I want to, I can't. It's not like you could have helped me, right? But what should I expect, you get angry at me for chasing you down? What would you do to go home? Oh, that's right, you do not know anything about having a home. You would not know anything about duty. Loyalty. Respect. Honor. Family. All of these things are foreign to you. And they should be, you are neither human, nor any other human-like race," he continued, keeping the same force. Wys didn't even flinch when he said that, meaning every last word. The anger was pulsing, Ariel was only safe for being a woman. But she didn't know that. The Knight glared at the pair, the Pycon and her mount, and allowed an unsettling, malicious grin spread on his face. "Scared, little one? You should be. I won't kill you, but I think I just proved to myself that you can't be human, or actually, humane," Wys thought to himself. And he still couldn't just stomp on the two. It was amusing actually, the pigmentation, she got so red and all for naught.

Even after saying all that, even after having those thoughts flash through his head, he just couldn't do it. He was just too liberated, even if he was angry at her for so blatantly insulting him. The wind calmed down, or at least the feeling seemed to have gone. Now Wys was a little hungry and tired from the casting on top of a feeling of an unrealized action. And then Leto showed his tats, where it just got so much more interesting. No windmarks, these were different. How? Wys couldn't tell, he just felt it, the Res told him. "The Drykas picked me up after a storm," he finally replied to Leto.

"What are those tattoos?" he asked, completely forgetting about the Pycon and lost in curiosity. Completely forgetting about nothing in his mind.

Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Leto Sunsinger on January 25th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Leto looked down towards himself, noticing the tattoes and the vest that covered most of his body, the scars of his past still remaining, even though some of the runic tattoes covered most of his scars. You could still see plenty of them, as he had managed to become quite injured in the incident fourteen years prior. The scars were not what caught Wys' or Ariel's eyes, it was the strange mannerism of the tattoes. Usually people asked what the scars were from, but Leto just ignord them most of the time. He rarely wanted to speak about the incident as it had caused him nightmares for quite a few years after. Looking up towards Wys, and then down towards Ariel, he finally spoke.

"These are my windmarks, though they don't look like the traditional ones, they are. I chose the windmarks to be as glyphs because of my experience as a glypher, as well as summoner. Each of the glyphs has a different meaning to me, such as my personality traits, that describe me as I see myself, the main one being the triangle in the center of my chest," he said, spreading open the vest so that Wystern could see the triangle within the very center of his chest. It was drawn fairly large, and one could see a line going through the center of it. It was his main windmark, the one he had recieved when Arias had chosen him as his bond. Smiling, he then said to Wys, "You're lucky the Drykas managed to find you after a storm in Cyphrus... they can be very nasty, given we don't usually have many storms in the region," and then turning his gaze to look towards Ariel, he then said to the little pycon, "And yes, knowledge is the greatest gift in the world, one that I prize highly, and guard closely..."

He would not pass on the knowledge of glyphing to an outsider so easily, given how badly crafted scrolls could be very dangerous to a user whom didn't know how to use them correctly. Looking towards Ariel once more, as his gaze shifted to Wystern, he then said, "Now, that our grievances have been spoken of, let's all take a deep breath, and settle down a bit. Endrykas is no place for outsiders to have petty squabbles, even if they do not mix and match..." As he spoke, he allowed a deep breath for himself to be taken, as watching the two go back and forth about who's been unfair to who, and who's stopped who from going home, or blowing wind elements in the faces of who's cats has obviously stressed him out a bit...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Ariel on January 25th, 2011, 5:28 pm

"They're beautiful," Ariel commented as she stared wide-eyed at Leto's windmarks, trying to take in every subtle turn of the brush that made them. Every little spec of color, that each of the tattoos possessed. The lines were strangely alluring, Ariel thought, as her eyes passed up and down over each of the marks that Leto had made visible to her, until she was suddenly jerked back into reality by Leto's request that they all take a deep breath or two.

Ariel instantly obeyed, taking a few deep breaths in through the nose, and then out through the mouth as she sat up straight in the saddle. She had closed her eyes, and the world had gone temporarily black. Ariel was working her way into a basic meditation to help quiet all the insanity that was pounding in her head.

Ariel continued to steadily breath in and out. While she was breathing out- she imagined that all of her negative feelings- her anger, jealousy, sorrow, and all of her mistakes were leaving her in a steady stream of black smoke, which, as soon as it had left her, would disappear into the air. With each breath that Ariel took in, she imagined a strong positive energy entering her body, a pure white light. She continued to imagine the black smoke leaving her with each exhalation, and the pure white light entering her with each inhalation, for a good five minutes, at which point she was feeling much lighter. Calm. Clear. Ariel opened her eyes and looked back up at Leto. "Thanks," she said, as she glanced nervously back over at Wys, wondering how he was feeling, a little too lazy to delve into the knight's aura.

Rafael was pawing at the ground. Ariel patted his head as she turned back to face her mount. "There there you," she commented, as the kitten's tail started to swish back and forth. He was crouching a bit, drawing them closer to the ground, his whiskers and ears twitching, as though he were stalking something and getting ready to pounce. Ariel looked at him nervously, she was not in the mood to deal with one of his childish chases, but she wasn't yet a good enough rider to prevent Rafael from doing as he pleased.

Ariel sighed, she had just spotted the creature Rafael was surely hunting. A small brown bird, much like the ones she had chased away with Rafael from the clay deposit a few days before. Lovely, she thought, as Rafael sprang up and after the bird. "Ahhhhhh, would you stop!" she hollered as the kitten chased after the bird through the grass, at a great speed. Ariel was hugging her legs tightly around Rafael's side, doing her best to hang on as the kitten pursued its prey and left the knight and the Drykas far behind them.

OOCSorry for such a strange exit from this thread... but I have been uber busy and wouldn't want to slow you two down. Have fun!
Ariel
I'm NOT Short, I'm Fun-Sized!

Words: 181717
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Wystern on January 27th, 2011, 5:59 am

Glypher? Summoner? Wystern's gaze shifted and was locked on Leto, eying the tattoos. Goldmine. Now, Wys was officially enthralled. Anyone who knows anything worth teaching has his ears. Knowledge, it was all about the knowledge. Wys was taught to cherish it, all Knights were. It is a part of their general religion. And now he stumbled upon a goldmine. Ariel was a waste of time, wasted cause, and no longer important. She knew nothing she could teach, but this man might. It needs assessment. Is he capable? If he is, would he teach? Under what condition? Danger? All magic comes with it. Where to start asking? The basics. It was difficult to keep an excited smile from appearing on his face.

Wys almost opened his mouth when he caught the other word again. Summoner. Summoning is forbidden in Syliras, and for a good reason. A lot of times, whatever got summoned would run loose until it encountered a guard and then the Knights would likely have to clean up the mess left by the thing. Which would of course mean the summoner most of the time. Wys had absolutely no desire to find anything out about Summoning; well, maybe just a little - no. No Summoning. Period. That he needs not to tread into. The laws of Syliras never mentioned anything about Glyphing.

Something brought Wys back to the ground for a second. A bird caught his eye, and evidently it caught the cat's too. This was becoming amusing, Ariel was completely losing control. Easy come, easy go, the cat pounced for the bird, taking Ariel with it. Wys chuckled slightly, feeling like the stupid Pycon was getting its divine punishment. Too bad he didn't blast wind at it again, but this is a unique chance. It left the two of them alone, no interruptions, no Pycon to stop from asking the questions Wys had in mind.

"What could you kindly tell me about Glyphing, Leto?" he finally spoke, choosing his words carefully and knowing full well that questions about magic are always obvious. And still, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Leto Sunsinger on January 27th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Leto smiled as the kitten began to jump after a bird, and took Ariel away from them. She was a kind pycon, a little immature, but then again, she was young, and it happened. But at least she was willing to settle down in the end, and have her grievances aired out. Craning his neck to watch her leave, Leto turned his head back towards Wystern as his attention was required there next, a question being brought up, something Leto needed to answer. His obsidian black eyes looked towards Wystern as he asked about Glyphing, and perhaps it's uses. Or merely what exactly it happened to be. Leto was fairly open about the fact that he was a glypher, and summoner. As illegal as it was in some places, he was a bit naive as to why most people would hate it. He had never summoned anything drastically devastating, nor would he wish to. Looking towards Wystern, and then down towards the ground, the question remained.

Would he tell this man about Glyphing? Was it even reasonable to explain it to him, if he was just going to use it against people as he had done with his reimancy to Ariel? The man seemed to be on a short fuse, and Leto didn't really wish to deal with that, but then again, the other Drykas had saved him from the storm... there had to be a reason for that. You didn't just bring someone to Endrykas that wasn't Drykas. Perhaps they were just being kind hearted to an outsider, and since they did save him, and he was here in Endrykas, they even seemed to have taught him a bit about reimancy, initiated him even. Perhaps that was why he was so injured, he was being lost to the powers of magic and overgiving. I will not teach him specifics of glyphing, but I will explain to him what it happens to be, and why we use it, Leto thought, and then looked up from the ground again towards Wys, only a few moments passing since he had first questioned Leto about it.

"Glyphing is the art of creating runes that can be used to store magic, create barriers to contain magic, split magical effects, combine them, and other such uses. Without another magical discipline to combine glyphing with, it's pretty much useless..." said Leto, his dark obsidian colored eyes looking up towards Wystern as he had taken his seat back upon the stump that was there. "I use it in combination with summoning to create barriers around the portals I open to have a tighter leash upon the creatures that come through... A Reimancer might use Glyphing to store spells for later use, be them offensive or defensive. A Morpher might store a certain morph within the glyphs, or sigils that they create..." he said, explaining a few of the uses of glyphing. If Wystern wished to know more, Leto might explain it, but it would come at a cost, if he could think of anything he wanted from this non-drykas...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Wystern on January 29th, 2011, 8:48 am

More. Dig more. Find out more. You want to know more, the voice in Wystern's head screamed. On the other side of the greed came reason, asking what was the man's angle. Wys stood there with his legs getting slightly sore from the stale blood, and he shifted uncomfortably, still soaking in every word Leto said. It was a very interesting situation. Evidently the man Wystern was talking to was still a bit naive about the treatment of Summoners inside Syliras walls. Wys was simply told that even if the magician means well, they can still open up a portal for something nasty to run through. Some things want to get out badly enough, that is all; no particular details, that art is generally discouraged, and Wystern would like to keep it that way.

Alright first question down. Here came the punchline, would he get taught? What about the price? Trust? Danger? What if he would just be lied to about the whole affair, just like Ariel? This man seemed to understand reason more, he made peace between the Knight and the little beast; and its kitten. The Knight was officially committed to the fact that Ariel was completely killable now, no regrets, she is not human or humane enough, and in this case, this non-human has abused a human. Capital punishment upon chance, no regrets, no witnesses, no hard feelings. And most important, no more Ariel. But that is for another time.

Wys gazed straight in Leto's the eyes, gray meeting obsidian. Chances do not come up every day, and his thirst for knowledge Wys had no business knowing was growing larger and larger. This will either end well or not at all, and it is difficult to judge how from here. So far he gathered enough information, how much was correct, Wys would have to ponder on later. Right now it was relevant to push more. "And where would one go about learning Glyphing?"

Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A Simple Man (Open)

Postby Leto Sunsinger on January 31st, 2011, 4:59 pm

Where would one go about learning Glyphing? thought Leto as he looked towards Wystern. If this man was interested in glyphing, Leto could certainly teach him... but... then again, he wasn't Drykas, and Leto would have a hard time explaining to his uncle why he taught glyphing to someone that wasn't of the Drykas origin. But then again, he had seen his uncle teach others that weren't of Drykas origin, not very often though. "Perhaps..." Leto began to speak, looking towards Wystern with his deep dark gaze. "Perhaps I could teach you the basics of glyphing... like i said though, it really is useless unless you know of another magical discipline, which it seems that you do..." As he spoke, he remembered how Wystern had created the wind to blow away poor Rafael, and then as he looked towards him, he said, "Though, if I teach it to you, you cannot use it to harm anything else, that is my one condition. You seem to be a bit short tempered, at least towards Pycons, and i'd hate to see you use Glyphing to harm someone else..."

As he spoke, he spoke truthfully about his though process. It was true that Wystern was short tempered, and easily angered by at least the little creatures known as pycons, but then again, he did seem to have a bit of a level head upon his shoulders... unless his injuries came from overgiving, which Leto did not know whether they did or not. As he watched Wystern's reactions, it would give him a decent gauge as to if he would be able to teach the man the basics of glyphing, and if the man would harm another being with it. That was the last thing that Leto wanted was for the man to hurt people because he was foolish enough to teach him a world magic. Magic was a dangerous thing, and even though Leto knew it, he rarely used it unless it was needed, such as trading his glyphs and scrolls for money and food to live off of with his pavilion.

Smiling then as he looked towards Wystern, he then said, "We should head back to my tent if you truly wish to learn the art of glyphing. I have some supplies back there that we can use, scrolls and ink and whatnot. Generally glyphing is used in wizarding laboratories to help combine, split, or store spells, create barriers and the like, but for my purposes, i don't have a lab, so I just use my tent..." And with that, he stood up, patted Arias upon the neck whom begabn to lead them back towards his Pavilion...
Leto Sunsinger
The Glyphing Summoner

Character sheet

PreviousNext