PM to join Commonalities In The Commons

Nya meets Frouwenlop in the Syka Commons.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Commonalities In The Commons

Postby Nya Winters on July 17th, 2017, 3:10 am

Timestamp: 05th of Summer, 517 AV

Nya had started coming to The Syka Commons more and more. She needed the company of others even if she rarely approached them. To her it was enough to watch them, sit among them, and maybe sip one of the drinks that the proprietor of the Tidepool Bar sent over to sell when he had fresh ice and a lack of customers in the bar itself. One of the servers had been by and Nya had offered the coin for the chilled juice even though she wasn't really thirsty. The Kelvic cat just wanted the excuse to talk to the barmaid even if it was just a smile and to say 'yes please' and 'thank you'.

Abashai was gone. He'd vanished soon after they'd arrived and she still wasn't sure what had happened to him. She was still alive so she knew he too was still breathing. But without him there was no one to talk to. She just went through the motions, wandering the city, working with her leather, and sometimes when she was lucky finding someone busy doing something that required an extra hand. Randal was good for that. He was one of the Founders who had taught her a bit about surviving in this environment. So Nya took it upon herself to pick up a hammer or move some logs whenever he looked like he needed a hand. But.. today the weather was preventing much of that.

It was blistering hot, but the cool ocean breeze chased most of the worst of it away from The Commons. It was early afternoon and she hadn't eaten. She probably wouldn't until after dark. The heat drove her hunger away. So instead she picked up one of her books on working leather and had wandered to the commons to read.

She carefully found a shaded location in a good breezy path under woven palm leaves. The roof was ideal. The cushions she rested on were comfortable. And so Nya just sat back and watched, waiting for others to show up, looking for someone to watch... and maybe just maybe if she was lucky... talk too.

TOTAL: 744/50,000

Last edited by Nya Winters on July 21st, 2017, 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Frouwenlop on July 17th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Judging by his surroundings, selling his horse was indeed a pertinent advice. The poor beast wouldn't have lasted long here.
Bad thing Frouwenlop had grown accustomed to someone else's carrying his stuff around. Moving the tent by himself was no easy work.

These were his first steps in Syka: the sun was high and burning like a real furnace.
This new climate was hot and humid. Frou' thought he could've cooked an egg on his steel shield if he really wanted to.
How happy was he to have opted for a leather set of armor instead of iron. He was already sweating, it would have been a hell on Mizahar with any kind of plate.

Frou' didn't know the locals yet, therefor he wasn't exactly sure where he could settle. Mainly strolling around, he was seeking a place in the shade to put his burden down and take a little break.
He has always been the lucky kind of person. When he just spotted a place free from the sun near his location, a handle of his awfully overfilled load broke off, resulting in all his stuff to drop at his feet, spilling around their contents everywhere.

Cursing was never a habit of him, but this time around, he couldn't do but let it go.
That's what you get when you overstrain your load, and from that, he learned.
But hey, Frouwenlop had to show a little more resolve, Frouwenlop couldn't let himself down for his own silly mistakes.
He would just gather his stuff back, and proceed.

What was the worst that could happen next anyway?

Last edited by Frouwenlop on August 8th, 2017, 11:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Frouwenlop
Player

Words: 12398
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2017, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Nya Winters on July 21st, 2017, 1:22 am

Nya was experiencing the kind of stretched out lazy cat boredom that always lead to nap. Languid, her limbs had flowed outward and she took up far more space than she should have by the laws of nature required. Syka was good for that. When she wasn't learning to survive in the jungle, the beach settlement always lulled her into a sense of security.

She didn't hear him at first. The noise of the palms kept his sand muffled footsteps from her. But she did indeed smell him since the breeze was blowing her way. Cracking an eye open she hadn't realized had drifted closed, Nya peered about until a string of obscenities clued her half dozing brain into a narrower search field that targeted the man. Nya inhaled, drinking in the unfamiliar scent. Male. Leather. Metal. She wondered if he was dangerous. The talderian forest cat stretched, comfortable in her human form, and watched the man trudge into view. He looked... tired. Travel worn. And just as he reached the shade of the palms, his bag spilled open and he stopped and looked at the mess with a kind of resigned acceptance.

Nya stood slowly, wondering what her feet were doing, as they carried her from her resting spot at one of the tables of the Commons and towards the stairs that lead down. Further perplexing was the fact they carried her down the steps and across the sand to greet the man who had just arrived. She paused in front of him, tilted her head, and looked down at him. Nya was surprised she was taller than he, though slimmer and lighter of build.

"That handle was poorly made." She said as a way of greeting. "I could mend it or make you a stronger bag." The kelvic added as she knelt down and started gathering his things uninvited. "But not today. Today you should carry your things without using the handle. Juli Chaliva will be by again soon with more juice from The Tidepool if you want something cool to drink. You won't know that though because you aren't from here are you?" Nya asked, straightening to hand him the bundle of things now gathered back into his bag, held by the bottom and the top, not by the handle.

"Come up. The breeze is better up in the trees and its shady. I left my juice there." She said, pushing his things back into his hands and turning to head back up the stairway to The Commons.

Nya hoped he'd follow. It was as friendly of an invitation as she could muster.

TOTAL: 1,180/50,000

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Frouwenlop on July 28th, 2017, 8:09 am

Comming accros a helping hand was quite an unexpected turn of events in this region far away from proper civilization. Not that it was a bad thing though. He only wished that providence would offset more frequently his usual misfortune.
The lady that was caring for the struggling man looked quite young. Thin traits, clean, light-footed and with a nonchalant attitude, the exact opposite of Frouwenlop at this moment.
Without further glances at the young miss, he would round off the arrangement of his fallen belongings to where they were meant to stay in the first place, and proceed. He would dress up a better portrait of her later.

She spoke to him, her voice matched her profile, he thought. According to what she said, she looked capable with handicraft, but also quite distressed about leaving her drink behind to help the man.
Frou' would reply only by grunting to the first couple of questions, he wasn't sure about the miss' intents.
Perhaps that was the months travelling that made Frou' overly suspicious. On the roads, there were no laws, some people would come to dreadful ends for a pouch of coins.
Despite that fact, he somewhat felt unthreatened near this one. It looked like she was the carefree kind of person, doing what she wanted to do at the moment, without that much second thoughts behind it.

"I appreciate the help, thank you." he said, while she pushed back the bag in his arms.
She waved him to follow.
"Frouwenlop's the name, and nay, not from this place."
This land, even if it was as hot as a smith's furnace, was also enchanting in a weird sort of manner. This was a land full of colours, of sounds and life. Frou' was sensible about those things.
While the pleasant breeze felt more present the more they ascended to the canopy, he felt both the stress of the road and his burden to soften. Oh, well, looked like the later was due to the bag he held in his arm to lean a bit too much while he gazed upon the scenery. There was now an unfortunate pan on the ground below that would need to be picked up back, but that would wait, he was too exhausted for this nonsense.
"Hum, well, I'm from Sylira. Heard twas a new found place here, and they were in need of all kind of people."
The duo was reaching the place the missy wanted Frou' to go. He saw the so called "juice" she was referring to earlier. Looked definitely too sweet for him.
"I'll buy you one for your troubles. Where you come from, and what's the name?"
Frouwenlop
Player

Words: 12398
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2017, 11:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Nya Winters on August 15th, 2017, 4:09 am

Nya lead the way up a wide casual stair formed of woven bamboo and rough cut planks of wood. They obviously had some sort of rudimentary sawmill in the area, though much of what he was viewing as ‘civilized’ was incredibly primitive compared to Syliras’ stonework and masonry. The stairs lead up to near the tops of the trees The Commons were built among. It gave the man a sweeping view of the area, including Swing Beach and the long pier leading out to The Veronica’s mooring in the distance. Cerulean waters danced in the soft light and there was a breeze among the treetops where they were now that made the temperature far more bearable.

The Kelvic didn’t mind the strangers’ questions. He would be far more disturbing to her if he wasn’t so … disorganized and seemingly scattered. Frankly he looked exhausted, which more than explained why he was struggling keeping even his meager belongings together.

Nya lead him to the cluster of tables and chairs she’d been sitting and and waved a random insect off her mug of juice. It was sweet, made of pineapple and water with a hint of lime and orange in it. That was one of the things she loved about Syka. There was always something delicious to eat and drink, even if it wasn’t the fancy heavier meals of the places she’d visited in the past.

“Frouwenlop? That’s your name? And you are welcome to the help. We are supposed to help new people here. You help the next new person you meet as well. The Founders.. the men that built this place… like that.”
She said, tilting her head and settling into her seat. She said his name back to him like it was a question, though she didn’t outright ask him about the unusualness of it. She kind of liked the way it sounded, even though she’d never heard anything like it. He certainly wasn’t a John or a Pierre. She’d met her share of those in Syliras.

Nya sprawled, catlike, on her formally abandoned bench making sure she was in a patch of sunlight to relax in. The furniture up in The Commons was all rough hewn wood that was built into the barricade around the perimeter. Meaning, chair backings and long couch backings were actually forms of railing that kept the denizens from falling from such lofty heights. The breeze ruffled her hair and kept her cooler than she should have been. Nya would have liked to be wearing less clothing, but she still hadn’t gotten used to Syka’s informality on the subject. The Commons wasn’t a hard place to enjoy, even if it had minimal furnishings and no bards currently singing to keep the people who gathered there entertained.

“I’m Nya.” The Kelvic said, pronouncing her name with two long syllables. It sounded like Nigh – Ah. “And I’ve lived in Syliras before too. I was born on the edge of Sylira itself near the Talderian boarder. I didn’t mind the city, but there was so many people that sometimes it’s noise and crowds got stifling. There are two dozen people here, maybe less, compared to Syliras’ thousands. It’s a nice change.” Nya added, sitting back and picking up her juice to sip at it.

“Thank you. I would like another when the woman comes back from the bar with more. She might bring ale too if you like stronger stuff. They don’t sell much of it here though. Everyone drinks things that are mixed with odd liquors. Sometimes a drink will be very sweet and delicious but you will find yourself drunk after just one or two… sometimes after no refills. I think they ferment juice here too.” Nya explained, not sure the extent of how much or why Sykan’s brewed things.

“I came here for a chance to relax and a change of pace from my life in Syilra. Syka is interesting because first there’s free land if you stay. And because there is so much land and not many people there is a lot of room to roam. I like having room, but I also like having people around as well. What about you? What brings you to these tropical shores?
” Nya asked, curious, though she had no right to be. She was dealing with her typical need for companionship that was always in direct war with her solitary Kelvic nature. Frou’s presence gave her a chance to be social and she hoped he’d linger to talk.

“When I got here I learned that anything I knew really didn’t help surviving here. So I had to learn a whole bunch of new things. I’ve started making leather and working it too… so I can have something to trade for the mercantile when my coin dries up. What about you? Why are you here? And do you know any good stories? I know a few. Maybe if you’re inclined to relax and rest a bit here we can exchange a few? OR even some news from the mainland if you have any…” Nya asked, curious yet not wanting to press the man for more information than he was willing to give.

But he was new, someone interesting, and he decidedly knew more than she did about what was perhaps going on in Syliras or Riverfall. Slowly, Nya knew, she’d become less interested as time passed by. But until then, she was always eager for news from home.

TOTAL: 17751/50000

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Nya Winters on January 21st, 2018, 5:28 am

Grading

Nya

Experience: Observation +2, Socialization +2

Frouwenlop… I’ll gladly grade if you return.

Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes