Featherbane

Good Clyde receives a rather impolite visitor.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Featherbane

Postby Belugnir on August 6th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Summer 39th, 517 AV, One Bell Past Noon, Gug Adjak – Lab 25-Z:

‘’Oi, anybody in there?’’, Einar was lazily, though not without considerable strength, knocking the back of his hand against the door chiseled into the hallway cavern’s wall. Now that he thought about it, this’ll be his first time visiting a wizard’s laboratory. How exciting. – He made a scolding grimace. In his hand stood firmly the skull of a Noktal whose corpse he had dragged to the citadel some weeks ago after returning from work in the Prairie. Thing was the reason why he was visiting an apparent big shot when it came to magical items and such, or so a prattling bookworm described this… Clyde, was it?

During his brief rest, enforced by the wounds he earned about a month ago, Ein had plenty of time to vaguely read up on several branches of magic, and plenty time to hear ample banter from passing apprentices in regards to a couple famous mages. All this led to him coming up with a peculiar idea as he walked past the Noktal’s now bare carcass on his way back to the citadel after his first meaningful patrol in the Prairie in the last three weeks. So he collected the thing’s skull and made his way here, naturally with certain difficulties, taking into account that he wasn't quite familiar with this endless bloody labyrinth of monotone rock and stuck up pricks who'd sooner bite their own arse than point a kindly asking man in the right direction.

Whenever the kind sir who lived in this sodding cavern would see fit to open their door, they’d find a rather well tanned bugger, clad in a suit of banded mail, with a short, rugged linen jacket overcoat standing there, waiting to conduct ‘business’. Ein had left his proper weapon in his room, along with his bags and travel sack, seeing as he hardly needed those for the sake of conversation. He did, however keep his throwing knives, strapped across his chest, and the armor and clothing on, weapons – just in case, as for the clothing, he, who still had a functioning blood flow tended to find the underground tunnels chilly, even during summer.

He batted his hand against the door again. ‘’Oi? Hello?’’
Last edited by Belugnir on December 16th, 2017, 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Belugnir
Absolute Whoreson

Words: 334032
Joined roleplay: January 4th, 2017, 10:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Featherbane

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 6th, 2017, 11:26 pm

39 Summer 517

At the moment Clyde's lab was relatively free of clutter. When he was deep within a project this tended to not be true as he tossed aside and mixed things chaotically in a way that let him find things when needed but lost things of less importance. To others it was a confusing mess, but to Clyde it had a logic to it for his needs.

Once the project was done and his focus elsewhere Clyde would once more clean up the lab, returning things to their places until they next were to be used. At the moment he simply had a small pot of inscribing paint out as he checked his wardings. For the most part the overly complicated and powerful wards were undamaged from the projects he'd done so far. This meant the few places a dab of paint was needed was to repair and not replace glyphs.

Done with his minor repair task Clyde closed the pot of paint, and while he waited for the few small dabs to dry checked his work for the third time to make sure no more were needed.

He'd not yet begun his next project, but had one planned and so was preparing for it. Most of the common ingredients and the base item had already been provided for his next piece of work, stowed out of the way in his study.

But until he felt satisfied that he was ready he wouldn't so much as lift the first hammer, let alone place the item to be worked.

Clyde was distracted from his fourth and final checkover by a far off knocking. Cha in his hand and his dog Rye rising from a spot near the door and following on his heels, Clyde headed out of the lab and into the common area at the front.

Unlocking the lab door as he went through it, he proceeded to lock it back behind him as he entered the sparsely filled chamber. He used the room more as a blockade between random people and his work, preferring to deal with things there if possible to keep them from messing about in his actual lab.

Quickly enough he had crossed the sparse chamber and was at the door leading out into the greater passages of Sahova, his front door so to speak.

As he opened the door, unlocked, he felt out through Cha with his Aura sight for the one doing the knocking. At the same time as his physical sight took in the man his aura sight, a tendril of it stretching out from Cha, took in an awareness of the person at his door.

Almost instantly he got a general awareness of him, a good examination of his mundane presence as presented by his sight and smell and such but in a different manner. He also didn't find any immediate buzz of djed which might indicate active magic use.

Nor did he sense any flares among his person which might indicate an item of magical providence.

Not seeing any immediate thread Clyde looked a the man, perhaps a second or two having passed since he opened the door.

“Yes, do you need or want something, or are you just knocking on my door for no good reason? And regardless of if you need or want something, do you actually have a valid reason to be here, or is this a personal visit? I prefer to separate personal matters, whether those tie in with your other duties or job and for you might be considered business while not truly being official business for me, as opposed to official business.”

As he waited for a response Clyde took in his appearance. Oddly enough he was wearing armor, heavy armor, not something commonly seen among mages. At least not the ones Clyde knew. By logic alone that told him this probably wasn't a ranked wizard with his own lab, more likely an apprentice or one of those fellows who worked outside the citadel. Or perhaps some other newcomer without official title or position.

Rye stood silently at his side, the dog glaring at the possible threat to his master with barely a blink, by his posture ready to leap at a thread should Clyde give the command or should he come at Clyde suddenly. Otherwise if he kept his hands to himself he'd continue to stand as he was, perhaps letting out a low growl if he tried to draw closer to Clyde.

Clyde also noted the small blades on his chest, and what appeared to be a bird skull in his hand. Something large, though Clyde didn't know enough about birds or bones to know what particular type.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Featherbane

Postby Belugnir on August 7th, 2017, 1:38 am

He finally heard the faint noise of steps from the other side of the door, Ha, figured you lot of book-worm pricks don't go out into the daylight., though whoever did the walking seemed to stop just in front of Einar, with the thick barrier still obscuring sight, and a moment later, Ein felt an odd, however faint unease, one that drove him to look over his shoulder, even though there was nothing there. He was certain he'd had this unsettling feeling before, though right now, he couldn't put a finger on it. Then he finally heard the noises of someone fiddling with a lock, yet the sight that greeted him in the door frame now wasn't what Einar expected. This bugger still drew proper breath, as did his dog. Hell, a wizard keeping a dog. Heh. He didn't quite imagine this stuck up lot of bastards to keep pets. And then, before he could utter a word, the man opened his mouth, and spoke volumes. Not as a figure of speech. Literal. Volumes. More words poured out of this bugger in one breath than Ein had exchanged in the past week, and for a good couple seconds, he stood baffled, trying to grasp everything this fellow had just said.

''Well now. I would hardly know. Are you or are you not Clyde Sul... Silluns? And are you or are you not the local to-go bugger whenever someone wants to get themselves a magical trinket? If not, then I'll be on my way, if yes, then I just might have business with you.'', the corner of Ein's eye remained on the hound. Thing seemed rather eager to pounce on its master's visitor, which drove Einar to try and make less hasty movements whenever he did.
Belugnir
Absolute Whoreson

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Featherbane

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 8th, 2017, 12:59 am

While the two faced each other mundanely, Clyde kept himself busy within his aura sight. He wasn't sure why the man was here, but knowing more about him was always a good idea.

While the main tendril of his aura sight latched onto the man, slowly sinking in deeper, Clyde broke off a secondary small tendril. With this feeler he grazed along the peripheries of the mans aura, a technique he'd worked out long again for sensing djed remnants. Castoff and left behind when djed passed into or out of the body, it could tell one things about the person being looked upon. If of course one had the skill and knowledge to do so.

Repeating the skating motion Clyde slowly built up a hazy picture, building and deepening the view with each passing. What would take a lesser user a much greater amount of time, particularly one not knowing what they looked for, would take Clyde a much shorter span. Not instant due to its complexity, but quick enough. Within a chime he'd built up a hazy misting of djed remnants about the man, with a few areas more focused than other, such as the arms and legs.

As Clyde watched the man within his dualed mundane/magical vision, he could see the man was thrown off by Clyde's questions. Whether that was due to their suddenness, how numerous they were, or even how to the point they were he couldn't say. Surprise, confusion, pause, shown on his face.

When the man did finally talk it was to show a large amount of disrespect, paired with a total misunderstanding of what Clyde did. Clyde was surprised the man had gotten this far on the island without being killed, or used in some experiment. This implied the man was either skilled, lucky, had friends, or just hadn't happened across the wrong person with his rudeness.

Letting a bit of annoyance cross his face, Clyde stared at the man, making it clear he didn't like what he'd heard. When he spoke it was with a forced calm and even tone, but somehow that tone came across as intimidating as if Clyde was yelling.

“Are you an idiot? Or do you have a death wish? You come to my lab to ask a favor, and then turn around and insult me repeatedly? I do not make... Trinkets. If you want some bauble or toy, go find someone else. Do you see a sign or a shingle out front professing my wares, or calling any comers to come and request things? I am also not anyone's go to anything, nor a bugger anything, let alone for some random nobody walking off the street asking for said favors. If all you want to do is waste my time, then say so now so I can slam the door in your face, and get back to doing real work. Trinkets indeed.”
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Featherbane

Postby Belugnir on August 8th, 2017, 10:24 am

Ein realized the direction of the man's words the moment he saw his vaguely irritated expression, and as Clyde spoke, Einar had a self rebuking river of thoughts.Bugger all, ye prick, where's your head? This one ain't a flea-ridden apprentice, think before you talk! All the while, the vague unease in his gut kept creeping up and growing, though notion of that was pushed away in favor of trying to come up with words to pull himself out of the shyke-ditch that he had already dived in. His hands rose upward slightly and he took a step back.

''Alright, alright, look. I didn't mean to offend. And I don't mean to waste ye time. I need something, I need it done right, and I was pointed to you for it.'' Aye, this fella was who he was looking for, else he wouldn't make such a fuss over a couple words that lessened his grandiose work. Us men of the street have a habit of not thinking before we open our gobs. Sincerest apologies.'' He gave a brief bow of his head. That's them words you say when you screw something up... right? Ein was quite the stranger to apologizing, seeing as most of his problems were solved with fist and axe, much rather than words. However, this was the first time he was honestly saying sorry since he came to the island, and it showed, although his regret wasn't quite for insulting the man, but more for the fact that he himself came off as stupid.

''I'll just get to the point.'' Seeing as ye value ye time so much, ye stretched pale prick. ''I have here a Noktal's skull. And I was merely wonderin' if it'd be possible for ye to bewi-- enchant it so that other Noktals give whoever's bearin' it a wide berth?'' He gave another glance to the man's dog. Honestly, his biggest fear right now was that hound leaping to tear his throat. He wasn't too intimidated by the sorcerer himself, hell, wizard or no, folk tend to topple like candles when you present their jaws to a steel-clad fist... naturally assuming that this bugger tried to harm him first. ''And you'll find that us nobodies can offer favors of our own.'', of course this was spoken with a good degree of cynicism. Petchin' 'ell, sure Ein was a nobody, and he knew that, but sweet sodding Cheva it was getting old, how every bloody glance and word from another individual seemed to have conscious effort to remind him of that, especially here, on this forsaken rock, even coming from an apprentice who couldn't walk proper. Bet my good left arse cheek that I could go on a stroll through this sodding cave right now, tearing every one of you bastards I came across in half, and it'd take y'all a full week before ye even realize what's going on. Probably would, with how stuck up and arrogant you all are, ye rotten sacks of bollocks. It took Ein a decent bit of effort to keep this sudden burst of pent up anger to himself.

Though then he recalled an awful superstition of the Sunberthians, one for which they feared sorcerers all the more, namely 'cause some of the buggers could read a man's mind. A steady drop of sweat rolled down the side of Ein's cheek, and for an instant he was frozen, and his eyes gaped for any gesture from Clyde that would suggest that he indeed knew what was going through Einar's head, though that instant was brief, and the young man composed himself again, as much as a vulgar lowlife can do, and tried his best to keep both his gob shut and his thoughts from flailing all over, waiting for Clyde's answer. Though he was halfway prepared to shove his foot into this man's belly, a knife in the hound's eye, and to bolt away from here if things really went to hell. Should've just stayed in your broom closet today, ye big stupid.
Belugnir
Absolute Whoreson

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Featherbane

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 9th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Clyde was if nothing else a skilled negotiator. He knew quite a few techniques, and knew to always work from a position of strength if possible. Whether this had been the mans goal, or if he truly was simply load, blustery, and stupid, Clyde couldn't say.

He wasn't surprised then when seeing his first words failing, the man turned conciliatory. Whether he believed these new words on not... Well that was a resounding no. He'd met nice people, rude people, selfish people, and stupid people. And people who turned tacks as quickly as this one was weren't nice and generous people.

Of course, Clyde reminded himself, such people didn't often last long on Sahova, at least not while staying that way or without being taken advantage of. He might perhaps even somewhat mean what he said, but Clyde doubted that if he did mean it he meant it fully. Letting out a small snort of derision at the mans words, Clyde simply glared at the man in the eyes.

“I highly doubt that. I imagine you meant exactly what you said. If you've come to regret the outcome caused by those words and wish to take them back is simply piffling.”

“You clearly have no understanding for what I do, and no respect for it. Oh, you'll wish to use it if you can, to gain from my skills, but not to understand or respect it. A bit silly, seeing as you' have gone in search of the thing without knowing it. If you understood it, what I specialized in, I doubt we'd be having this conversation.”

Raising an eyebrow to make a point, Clyde stared at the mans eyes, letting his aura tendril continue to sink into his djed body, letting the haze of djed remnants come better into focus and better show the parts of his body regularly channeling active djed used in personal magics. The spots he could see seemed to imply one of several magics he knew of, or perhaps one he hadn't.

“Unless of course you happen to have several thousand gold mizas to spare on the costs required for even the simplest creations of my crafting, of my specialty.”

Continuing on with the assumption that the answer was no, Clyde rapped his blue staff twice on the ground.

“Whether what you ask is possible is another thing. It could possibly be done with said skill, possibly, though I'd need to gather a great deal more information. And it wouldn't be in the way you described, which as I said further emphasizes your lack of understanding of what I do and what you ask for. If it was possible, and the facts aligned, it'd be costly. But it'd be almost guaranteed to work exactly as planned. Not a exaggerated estimation of my craft or skill. But as I've already said, I doubt you came with the coin needed for even the base materials it'd take.”

“Alternatively, I know of another skill, one I'm not so well versed in nor skilled. With it perhaps what you describe could also be done. It'd be cheap, but I'm unsure if it'd work or do as you intended even if it did work. I have the capacity to make an attempt, but as I said I'm not so skilled with this type of thing, and so its chances of success are even lower for that fact.”

Pausing for emphasis, Clyde met the mans eyes, tapping his staff once more on the ground.

“That being said, I don't do anything for promises of future favors from nobodies. A deal could be struck, but I either require suitable assurance of my favor being paid beyond your word, or payment of said favor up front before I do my end.”

Pushing the door wide, Clyde headed back inside to the mostly empty common area of the lab, an unimpressive first look into the mages space. He kept a hand on the door frame though, not retreating fully inside.

“If you'd like to bargain such a deal on those terms, you can come in. Otherwise, feel free to leave now.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Featherbane

Postby Belugnir on August 11th, 2017, 8:50 pm

And you clearly don't understand how easy it'd be for me to kick ye teeth in if ye keep that smug attitude, ya babbling knobrot. If this man could indeed read Ein's mind, he decided not to show it, which could mean one of several things. Either he chose not to display being offended by Einar's thoughts because he indeed wanted to cash in a favor or two, or, on a more unlikely note, he wanted to lure Einar into his laboratory and then shove some nasty spell on him and turn him into a lab rat... Though the most likely thing was that Ein was overthinking all this shyke and should be focusing more on what the bugger was saying.

At the mention of 'a several thousand Mizas', Ein's brow rose and his mouth made the most peculiar curve, visibly displaying the fact that Clyde was right in assuming he hadn't anywhere close to that sort of coin. More than right, in fact, seeing as Ein was much rather hoping to make this work by the usual Sahovan method of exchanging favors, seeing as he barely had a couple hundred Mizas with him, and until Clyde mentioned the cheaper, less likely to work alternative, Ein was more than ready to just toss the Noktal's skull into the corner and sod right off.

Well, Laviku petch me in the eye, sir Babbler of house Never-Silent admits he ain't the world's expert on everything.

''Cheap and with high probability of leading nowhere, eh? Just like me childhood.'' Hah, shoulda been a jester, Einar ye absolute whoreson., at least doing whatever errand this prick has in mind will possibly be a better time killer than another chance to be eviscerated by some ungodly abomination in the Prairie, or another afternoon spent doing literally petchin' nothing. Conjuring up the most of his poorly taught manners, Ein gave a half a courteous nod at Clyde's offer and stepped into the common area.

''Aight, then how do I assure ye that I'll owe you a favor? Or perhaps ya have something in mind right now that'd require me brawn?'' Ein was already preparing to withhold a burst of cynical laughter, weave the man away and stroll off should Clyde suggest anything akin to an oath of debt sealed by blood or some similar shyke. One thing was apparent to the young warden at this point though, and that was the fact that Clyde ain't gonna do a daft thing 'till he's sure it'll bear him some benefit.
Belugnir
Absolute Whoreson

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Featherbane

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 12th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Clyde, when negotiating, was often one for taking command and control of the dealings. Offering an ultimatum, a this or that type offer in which he was clearly ready to walk away... If nothing else it was a power move, though one that only worked if he did truly have the power advantage in the dealing needed for it.

In a more neutral situation, or one in which he had less power, Clyde knew better than to try such a move. But then, in this instance it was quite clear who had the power to decide things and make such demands.

He wasn't surprised when the man opted in favor of learning of the cheaper method, in fact by his assessment of the man it was the only logical outcome. Unless of course the man had been a truly skilled actor, and had been hiding his true nature and skill from Clyde's skilled eye by acting as a lowly nobody. But no, Clyde was quite sure this man was just as much of a nobody as Clyde felt the man was, and just as unskilled.

Though from the words he'd spoken and his mannerisms, tied in with what he'd felt of his aura, he believed the man quite likely thought as much about himself as Clyde did about himself. But then, Clyde had the skill and worth to back up that estimation, not delusions of grandeur.

If he'd hoped to make Clyde smile or chuckle at his self deprecating joke he would be sorely mistaken, as Clyde did nothing to break from his neutral face.

Nodding and stepping into the private chambers out of the public hallway, Clyde shut the door behind the man and turned to face him. Away from easy eavesdropping and prying eyes and ears, with a solid wall and door between themselves and the passageway, Clyde felt better able to speak details and plans.

Clyde shook his head at the mans word, letting a small flicker of a smile cross his lips as he stared at the nobody.

“First, as you already know, my name is Clyde. Clyde Sullins. And yours?”

Assuming the man told Clyde his name, or in the case that he'd already done so and Clyde had forgotten and thus pointed said fact out and reminded him, Clyde would continue onward.

“As for the favor, I do have something in mind, something you can help me with. But no, it doesn't have anything to do with brawn. If I wanted to stave in a skull, move something, or kill something, I could do that myself. All of my skills don't lie within my craft, I've capabilities to deal with physical things.”

Pausing, Clyde stared at the man, once more stomping Cha on the ground pointedly.

“For free, I will give you this short lesson. Don't go assuming the wizards here, alive or nuit, are feeble and not capable of anything. Magic after all doesn't usually require the brawn you are so proud of. I can think of quite a few magics off the top of my head that would leave you dead in a blink of an eye, without the mage using it requiring to lift so much as a pinky. Physical might has its uses, but is not everything, especially not on Sahova. Consider this your one and only free lesson on Sahova, and consider it well if you don't want to be killed in a fit of rage by a wizard less controlled than I.”

Letting out a sigh, Clyde continued onward, back onto the task at hand.

“That being said, back to the mentioned favor. Well, before I can know if you can help me with said favor, I first must know more about you. Namely the magic you have.”

Clyde stated this as a fact, not as a question or as if there was any doubt that the man had magic. He didn't bother to explain how he knew the muscle proud man of brawn had magic, not caring if he wondered and puzzled away at it. He of course knew it from Auristics, though didn't know the specific magic. He was fairly sure it was one of the body focused magics, though Clyde knew several of those. But considering his focus on physical might, it did seem logical enough that such a person would use a physical sort of magic.

“Once I know of the magic you hold, with a brief explanation of how it works, how you use it, what you can do with it, the basics and such, I'll better be able to know if you can do the favor I have in mind. If you can, then I'll offer my deal. If not, well then I suppose I'll have to try and think of another use for you if I can.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Featherbane

Postby Belugnir on August 13th, 2017, 1:50 pm

''Einar Belugnir., he stated bluntly, proceeding to rise a brow as Clyde spoke ever so vaguely of his own capability to deal with physical hazards. Eyeing the man up and down again for an instant, Ein found that rather hard to believe. And as Clyde proceeded to lecture him, Einar proceeded to silently and pig-headedly reply to everything the man had to say. I'll just keep assuming none of you bastards realize you're as overconfident as a man with a foot long prick dangling 'tween his thighs and half a brain in his skull. And so help me if a blink ain't all I need to put a dagger in your eye.

With a sigh, Clyde was finally getting to the point, though when he so bluntly seemed to assume with certainty that Einar had knowledge of magic and requested that he described it, it gauged out a skeptical, disapproving, and confused stare from the lad, and drove him to start piecing something together in his head. He took a long moment before speaking, and in a rather uncharacteristic manner for himself too.

''A'ight, excuse me, but let's take just a moment off. I'll be so free to assume that you, good sir, are wise enough of a fella to take your own advice and not just assume that, just because he happens to be sittin' on the world's resident anthill of mages, a random Sunberthian nobody has knowledge of magic, which I, in fact do, albeit scarce. Now what I want to know, is how you managed to divine that? And I'm simply asking because of several things. One, you're not the first person to 'figure out' that I do in fact know a bit of sorcery within chimes of seeing me for the first time in ye life, and second, well, there's that stupid belief where I come from, that wizards can read a man's mind effortlessly... which, I am quite certain is complete hogwash. And third...'', he took a brief moment to formulate what he wanted to say as best as he could ''From before you opened your door, and ever since, I've felt like I'm being watched by more than your and the eyes of ye dog over there.'', he nodded to himself, deciding that was as good a way to describe the unease he'd felt both now and back when he met that Cosa fellow.

''So I really would like to know how the majority of you wizards seem to be somewhat familiar with things in regards to me when you shouldn't. I mean obviously, it's some sort of magic. I'd like you to be so kind as to tell me the how and why, and I'll be happy to tell you what little bit of magic I do know. Peculiar, too, how you seemed so certain that I do know sorcery, yet still asked about it, making me believe you can't really figure out what I can do without me telling you., now while Ein's words were inevitably rich with cynicism and skeptical tone, he did, in spite of himself, manage to show a positive result of his foster fathers' attempts to teach him any sort of manners. And only when his gob was finally closed, he realized just how much he had just babbled out, practically in a single breath. Well petch me. Now I see why you buggers like to talk so much. Makes a man feel clever and witty, it does., now, sure, Ein was a brute and a sour prick, but he wasn't stupid, far from it, thing was, both Sunberth and the Prairie hardly give a young mercenary much cause to think anywhere past his own survival.
Belugnir
Absolute Whoreson

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Featherbane

Postby Clyde Sullins on August 13th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Clyde couldn't help but shake his head, letting out a breath of exasperation. He'd given him the chance, but by his response it was clear enough he'd not listened. Clearly he was too focused still on physical things, fighting by fist and steel, and wasn't willing or able to consider other means. Such as magic, which had been what he'd specifically spoke on.

At his next response though, Clyde actually did somewhat agree. He'd gotten so used to certain things, knowing someone was a mage wasn't so odd and didn't occur to his mind as odd at times. But he supposed it was true enough that to another, particularly a non-mage or new mage, it was more odd.

Shrugging, Clyde gave a somewhat noncommittal “Fair enough” before continuing.

“How? Simple, you told me. Or more to the point, your aura. For those with the right magics, the skill and the know how, telling such a thing is possible. I've gotten quite good at that particular technique, though not just anyone seeing an aura would be able to tell such a thing. Particularly not so quick as I did.”

“As for reading a mind, well simply put minds aren't tomes with nicely categorized indexes and lists of facts. People are far more complex, and much less ordered. Surface things perhaps, certain things, but not openly reading minds and memories. Not in the way you are thinking at least...”

“Every time you've used magic, its left traces upon you. Upon your aura in particular. I simply found those traces, read them, and understood them for what they are. As I said, not something just anyone could do, nor as quickly, and only if they know the particular technique.”

“I can tell that its there, tell concentration to a degree, and see where it is in greater densities, but that only tells so much. For instance I can see you've channeled djed through your arms and legs more than the rest of you, which in and of itself tells me something of the magics you practice. It narrows it down, but doesn't tell me for sure which magic you use, though does perhaps tell me about the type and likelihoods..”

“Perhaps it'll be one I know myself, or one I know of quite well, perhaps not. I can't say for sure. That is why I asked.”

His earlier comment did puzzle Clyde a bit, his notion of being aware something was watching him. Clyde wasn't sure what that was, but he was fairly certain it wasn't to do with his Auristics. He'd used it even on other Aurists, albeit lesser ones, with them actively using said magic to look at him, and not been able to tell he was doing so.

“As for that feeling, of being watched, well I'm not completely sure what that is. I have theories, possibilities I imagine it might be, but I can't say for sure. But I can fairly surely say it has nothing to do with my reading your aura, I am in that particular magic too skilled and to subtle with my touch to be detected so easily. Like a... A master pickpocket, stealing your coin purse, rifling through it, and putting it back, all without you being any the wiser. Akin to that perhaps. I'm not equally skilled in all things, not as well learned in all I know, as I said about the one magic from before... But reading aura's, that is certainly one of the ones I am quite skilled in compared even to those quite skilled in such things.”

Pausing, Clyde took on a thoughtful expression, as he considered things.

“If I had to hazard a guess, I would imagine what you are sensing is most likely related to strong djed being about in general. Possibly Cha here, she is quite a nasty bit of work, power wise. A unique bit of magic bundled in a slim blue frame I did myself with the aforementioned more expensive and predictable magic I am skilled at. If not that then I'm not sure what your sensing, perhaps me in general? Or something else. I can't say for sure.”
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next