PM to join Skin Game (Ramona)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Konrad Venger on August 10th, 2017, 3:33 pm

15th Bell - 50th Day of Summer, 517AV - Endrykas (Pridesun Pavilion)

The man was so much bigger than Dashiel.

Taller, broader, stronger, and covered with the scars of a life that had made him far tougher, even with all the Chaktawe had endured. An arm like a massive snake ensnared him around the middle, lifting him off his feet, and the boy knew fear. That naked, paralyzing terror of one outmatched past the point of fighting.

"So," hissed a voice in his ear, Pavi as chopped up as half his face. "What you do?"

Dashiel hesitated. That would cost him later, he was sure. But he remembered, too. His jaw flexed, tightened with conviction... and one hand reached around behind him, found the fleshy spot he was looking for and squeezed-

Konrad roared and let the boy go, clutching his crotch where his twisted genitals had been savaged by the boy. Dashiel hit the ground with his bare feet and whirled, glaring up at him, eyes warring between triumph and terror, and...

"... well?"

"I..."

Hesitation. Again. For petch's sake.

Konrad rolled his eyes, and decided to be merciful. Wasn't much to be gained on battering the kid insensible, and even if there was, he didn't need the other Drykas giving him shyke for it. So he swung out a lazy leg, just fast enough to slam into Dashiel's skinny chest and put him on his back.

The boy gasped and coughed, but there were no tears. Konrad approved. Tears got you sod all in this world. He spoke as he loomed over the boy, casting a shadow so broad and dark the Chaktawe didn't even need to squint against Syna.

"You hit again." He patted (carefully) his throbbing balls. "And again, if can. You keep making hit. Keep hit, so enemy cannot fight. Then you finish him, or run."

Fear flushed the face of the boy again, and Konrad could guess why. Fighting to give himself time to run, yes, the boy could understand that. Running was, apparently, what he was good at. But fighting to kill? To "finish" his enemy, as easily as one would some pest or vermin?

He needs to learn. Everyone does. Even if you never have to use it, you carry it in you.

"Fight is not over when enemy not fight you," he said, words a mite softer as he offered a hand that was, of course, refused. Ah, the pride of youth. "Fight is over when enemy can not fight. You see how is different?"

"Y-Yes."

Konrad gave the ubiquitous "hmph" of a man unconvinced, but didn't press the issue any further. Dashiel was already sporting a bruise under his jaw and would have another one on his chest soon. They'd been at this for nearly half a bell, and Konrad knew pushing him further would only do damage, not teach.

"Come back in one two day," he said, taking a swig from his 'skin and offering the water to the boy... who promptly shook his head. Konrad marveled at how the little sod never seemed to need water as much as everyone else, even in the middle of a bloody drought. "When bruise better. But until then..."

Even with his broken Pavi, Konrad was able to lead the sentence where he wanted, without giving much in the way of specifics. Dashiel nodded furiously, remembering the instructions the big man had given him.

He was to listen. For his name, for Hansel, and for any talk of the scarred walahk in the Pridesun pavilion. If he heard anything, he was to tell Konrad about it. In return, Konrad would teach the boy to fight, to defend himself, as often as he had the time to spare.

"What you do to people who say things about you?"

Dashiel had asked him that with wariness in his eyes, not just fear. Konrad almost smiled. Boy knew how to cover his arse, for sure. So he just shrugged.

"Nothing. Just good to know who talk about me. This not where I born. Cannot just kill people. Here, are rules. But no rule say I cannot know, yes?"

That seemed to placate the boy, and it was the truth, too. Back in Sunberth, if some urchin came scampering to Konrad with word of some bastard talking shyke about him, insulting him, challenging him, he'd get a coin in his skinny hand and sent on his way. Then, a day or a dozen or a season later, said shyke-talker would be found with a dozen extra holes, or just missing his head. Such was the way of Sunberth: no matter what, you kept your reputation.

But...

Konrad didn't even need to finish the thought. He was a long way from home, and problems couldn't be so easily and definitively solved. But it was still good to know, good to have a pair of eyes and ears out there where he'd stand out. He chugged some more water, saving the rest for later, and as he turned to his tent-

The boy was back, cloud of dust at his feet. He frowned and the boy spoke, pointing back the way he'd come, at the entrance of the Pridesun's little enclosure.

"Lady to see you. Flametree."

Ah. Her again.

||Common||Thoughts||Pavi||Fratava||Myrian||Other's Speaking||
Note: As of Fall 517AV, Konrad is known only as "Hansel" in Endrykas
Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Words: 1060755
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2015, 4:05 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Million Words! (1)

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on August 11th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Ramona was just about ready to leave to train at the Warstorm Pavillion, and she seemed to have lost her way in a haze of sorts. She just went straight for awhile, with her shortbow, quiver, and waterskin; she was ready for a days worth of training. Though, she passed by the Pridesun Pavillion for some odd reason, and was unsure what she was doing here. Though, she stopped and watched as Hansel and another boy were wrestling. It came to her as peculiar, but perhaps they were training. Hansel did talk about his body once before when she asked him to go on a hunting trip for some deer with her days earlier.

"Hello, Hansel." Ramona greeted and waved, "Wasn't sure what I was doing, but I've been looking for someone who would train me with what you do?" She paused, "for quite some time too." She added, and looked at him, she instinctively signed that she needed practice with her unarmed combat. All of this work to get her where she wanted was taking a little too long for her. She wanted to train better than ever before. She prayed to the Gods above that she had maybe found someone who would train, and it seemed coincidental that she had found Hansel. "What I'm asking is... would you teach me? To fight I mean? My father, he taught me... but," she stopped herself before she told Hansel what had happened. She never really liked to talk about their deaths. It was just... too much for her to bear.
Care to help out, leave a response?

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

"I see skies of blue. Red roses too. I will always love you."

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Words: 118181
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Konrad Venger on August 13th, 2017, 1:16 am

He didn't bother telling the kid to get going; Dashiel knew he was no longer needed, and seemed to have an unerring gift for making himself scarce. By the time Konrad turned back to the little black child, he was cross-legged and leaning against Konrad's tent, watching placidly.

Aye. Right.

"I see yer hands slidin' under dat cloth t'pilfer my shyke," he said, knowing his tone would convey all the menace the forigen language might miss. "I'll chop 'em off. Y'ken?"

Dashiel nodded, that quick, jerky, rapid-fire chin-bob of a child trying to silently demonstrate that he absolutely "kens". The scarred walahk grunted and turned back to Ramona, straightening up and trying to surreptitiously stretching his aching balls without looking... well, bizarre.

"You want train?" He shrugged, nonplussed by the question. She was hardly the first, and given how word seemed to be spreading, likely not the last. "Sure. I train. But not do, ah... fine, ah, fancy, like Knight. Way I fight? Mean. Like in gutter. Nasty." He shrugged again. Remorse did not come easy to Konrad, especially not when it came to how low he had to sink to win a brawl. "But works."

He beckoned her over and after she got a few feet from him, reversed his hand as if to halt her pace. He crossed his arms, clad only in his shirt and breeches. Ruros' cock, his bloody balls ached. He focused on business, though, and jutted his chin at her.

"So. What you got? Have coin? Or trade?"

Times of scarcity made for unusual economies, as Konrad knew well from Sunberth. When things went to shyke, people were thirsty and hungry, little shiny coins weren't so valuable as bread, grain, meat, and water. So he didn't just take coin for his services anymore... but that all depended.

Convince me, huntress, he thought, as fondly as he could manage. She'd helped him, of course. Hunted with him, and thanks to her, he'd brought home meat for the pavilion. But despite that, his reality was unchanged: I'm not a bloody charity.

Don't Make Me Repeat Myself.

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on August 13th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Ramona had with her, just in case she needed it, a half a pound of deer meat. Well preserved by the Spitfire. She wondered if that would be any good for a fair trade, since money isn't too valuable at this time of year. If only Morwen had continued with her responsibility, the Drykas wouldn't have to worry about not finding food.

"Yes, I can trade?"Ramona offered, she held up a small bag that contained the half pound of deer meat. "I have a half a pound of deer meat preserved by the Spitfire for me."Ramona insisted, and ambled her way towards the whalahk. "I'm
fine with rough. My father taught me to not go soft."
She added, and looked over at Hansel. She signed, rough, challenged. She did based off of instinct; she didn't know if Hansel had ever learned sign yet. She blushed a bit, a little embarrassed because he might not have known what she meant.

"Would this be good enough?"Ramona inquired, "for a few lessons or more? I do have some coin too?"

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Konrad Venger on August 14th, 2017, 3:00 pm

Konrad took the parcel of meat, turning it over in his hands, weighing it like some Reach dealer checking a resupply from The Farm. It smelled like what she said it was: the smokey, salty flavor of meat wafted through the gauze and he was already mentally rationing it out. Half a pound wouldn't last long, but for one man... well, he could stretch it.

"Good for one lesson," he said, tossing the package off to one side, but not so far that he couldn't keep an easy eye on it. "Good you okay rough. Not game."

She blushed, she twittered on for a while, and Konrad was only half-listening. He just stood there, massaging his knuckles, cracking one now and then, constructing this fresh lesson. New student. Older. Tougher, despite her blush and stammers. Living to her age among the Drykas, you had to be. And she had some past form, apparently.

He factored everything in. Came to a decision.

"Put up you guard." He waited, and if she didn't, he'd put up his fists like a boxer. All right and orderly, like a prizefighter waiting for the bell. "Like this. Up."

The walahk waited until she had complied. Face neutral, patient... and then, once her guard was up, like a good little squire or trainee, he lashed out-

-with his foot.

Not like with the boy. Not at all. Powerful enough to swing the sole of his foot square into Ramona's stomach and knock her away, maybe even onto her back. Hammer the wind out of her lungs and leave her gasping, choking on shock and pain, while Konrad stood straight and unworried, words slow and patient.

"First thing to teach. In brawl? No rule. No way of not fighting. No... ah... chivalry."

He pronounced the word carefully, but there was a definit edge of scorn to his voice. He'd heard of the concept, how it applied to Knights and "warriors". Sounded bloody stipid to him.

"That shyke get you killed. What you do to win, that is right. What not let you win, that is wrong. All need to know."

More waiting. For her to get her lungs back to working order, and step up to him again. When she did, she'd find Konrad waiting, arms spread, half his face twisted up in a mocking smile.

"Now. Come. See what you do."

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on August 15th, 2017, 1:46 am

Ramona listened to Hansel as he explained how he could pay back with one lesson. He had wanted her to show him how she would put up her fists. She had her palms out, and digitals had pointed towards Hansel in a tensed state. She raised her arms up slightly, but kept them closer to her side, her father had told her to protect her sides. Because there were a lot of organs inside your body that could get seriously damaged, and Ramona still had a slight bump on her right side that seemed like it wasn't going to ever go away, but the bump was barely noticeable. Especially when her shirt was over it, and if it was off; people would have to look very closely.

Ramona was partially ready for Hansel, but she flinched a bit as she thought that he was going to punch her. Instead; the walahk played dirty, and kicked her straight in the abdomen. She groaned, and stumbled backwards, her breathing was sharp and she used one of her hands to test to see if anything was damaged. Ramona had never expected a kick, when it was sort of supposed to be a fist fight/practice.

"First thing to teach. In brawl? No rule. No way of not fighting. No... ah... chivalry." Ramona had admired his fighting style already; it seemed original, but it was different when she was taught by her father. He gave her instructions, but Hansel- he played by different standards. "That shyke get you killed. What you do to win, that is right. What not let you win, that is wrong. All need to know."

"Your talking about those Knights? From the East?"Ramona forgot what city they're from, she remembered someone talking about a city filled with people and knights, and it was always busy. Though, it was a shame that Ramona couldn't recall the name...

The huntress scuttled her feet closer after she re-positioned herself. The same format as last time. She clenched her fist, and aimed as she reached for Hansel, her arm straight, but she was sure that the force wouldn't be strong enough.

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Konrad Venger on August 15th, 2017, 5:16 am

"Your talking about those Knights? From the East?"

"North. From here, is north." He pointed up, as if the sky was the right damn direction, but he supposed it got the point across. "And yes, city is where Knights-"

He paused as her fist lashed out towards him. That was the problem with that square, obvious boxing guard. You knew a punch was coming. Not exactly when, but you were on your toes. Konrad kept his eyes on her the whole time, and when her arm started to straighten shoulder dropping-

-he swayed to the side, fist sailing past the spot where his head had been-

-leaving Ramona's side open, her straight arm unable to protect her when Konrad-

-lashed out with a short, vicious punch to her side. Not her ribs, which would bruise his knuckles, but under them. Her kidneys. His punch smashed into them and as her body absorbed it with a jolt-

-he twisted, spinning on one leg, his other leg lashing out low-

-taking out her legs from the back. Aiming to knock her back down, this time facing forwards. Her legs jelly, her kidney a pulsing bruise that would ache like a dozen wheezing stitches for a long run.

"-come. They have god there, I think. God is tree."

He finished his sentence, in exactly the same tone. Not even breathing hard. As Ramona recovered herself, Konrad circled her, hands flexing and relaxing rhythmically. His tone was light, unconcerned, but he still kept his eyes on her. Just because she was an amateur, didn't means he was harmless.

"Put you enemy down on ground," he said as she righted herself. "He down, half battle is won. Then can stomp him. Kick him. Finish him. Or just run, if want." He flashed a look at Dashiel, watching with rapt eyes, and remembered his words. "But better to finish. Finish man, he not ever run for you again."

Again, she rose. Again, he stood there, a scarred obelisk that didn't even bother to take off his hat, so sure was he in his abilities. Again she faced him, and he made a little "come forth" gesture with one hand.

"Again. And think like you not boxer. Not Knight. Think like you do what makes work. Think not like they expect, hmm?"

Konrad hoped she got the message. Until then, he waited for what she'd try next.

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on August 26th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Ramona was shocked and dismayed. She thought that she could throw off Hansel, metaphorically speaking. Though, he was on guard the entire time. Her punch went straight through the air, like an arrow hitting no target. Hansel quickly countered Ramona's last attack, by spinning around her and punching her below her ribs.

Her kidneys.

She felt her side tingle and contort into an almost jelly-like feel. She made a sound as if she had fallen on her butt, but that wasn't it for Hansel. He turned to her back, and kicked her as Ramona was gathering her breath. A huge wave of oxygen slumped out of her system. She knelt on the ground to regain her breath, and that was when Hansel started to talk again.

"-come. They have god there, I think. God is tree."
Hansel said. A God who us a tree? Ramona's breathing steadied after a few more moments of waiting.

"A God who is a tree? I don't doubt it, but it sounds- ridiculous."Ramona said as she stood up and did some side movements to circulate the blood in her body. "-Your fighting, what do you call it?" Asked Ramona. It seemed like an important question to ask. If she was going to get beaten up by Hansel during this whole session, than she would have to know what kind if fighting style it was so she could try and learn more of it.

"Put you enemy down on ground," Hansel advised. Ramona looked at him curiously and nodded. She listened as Hansel explained more. "He down, half battle is won. Then can stomp him. Kick him. Finish him. Or just run, if want." Ramona wondered where Hansel had grown up to learn how to fight ruthlessly. "But better to finish. Finish man, he not ever run for you again." Ramona turned to face Hansel. "Again. And think like you not boxer. Not Knight. Think like you do what makes work. Think not like they expect, hmm?"

"And what did you expect me to be?"Ramona asked. She gave time for Hansel to respond. She nodded. She wasn't supposed to act like a boxer, or a Knight/Soldier. Ramona knew how to roll, she was practicing her acrobatics earlier in the spring. Though, not as much as she needed to. If she were to fight without weapons with blades on them. She would need to know a lot more than to just know how to punch.

Ramona balanced herself and did not enter her fighting stance. She raised her left leg and aimed st Konrads stomach, she closed her eyes and hoped for the best.

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Konrad Venger on August 28th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Keeps getting back up. Good sign.

Konrad's lips twisted into a half-smile as the girl got back here breath, then her feet, then found her words again. He was worried that he'd been too rough with her, but no... she was no stranger to this. Didn't she say something about her father, getting her prepared?

"Does not have name," he said, answering her question with a chuckle. A style? Gods, but wouldn't that raise a chorus of laughs back in Sunberth. Men like him didn't study or refine their form with instructors. They learned from a thousand vicious, bloody brawls in a hundred alleys and taverns and flophouses and nameless lots bereft of any glory. They survived, and remembered how. "Is just brawling. Fight with what you have, what can get hands on. All else is just knowing how to take punch. You know already."

Another question, and Konrad shrugged his shoulders. He didn't presuppose much about the people that came to him for sparring. Just that they wanted to test themselves, or improve, or learn a thing or two. He knew everything else relevant after the first few chimes of the fight.

"Not expect anything. One more fight. Each different. All same. Only person changes."

Very petching philosophical.

He opened his mouth to speak again and saw her tense up. Her foot slid back on the dirt and before it had even swung up for him, his body was already moving, anticipating, countering, blocking-

-body whipping to the side, her foot swinging out into the air-

-where his right hand snapped down and caught her just above the ankle. Leaving her wobbling on one foot.

"Need more speed. And want to do that? Get close. So man cannot see you foot start to move."

He lifted and pushed at the same time, ruining her balance and sending her down again on her back. Not enough to wind her, that time. Falling down was never pleasant, but he didn't want to bruise her up too quickly. He wandered around her and snatched up his waterskin.

A memory surfaced. A tavern... south of the Reaches? Lower? He couldn't remember where exactly, but he did remember that black bastard Upilox. How he hadn't seen it coming... and why.

Good lesson to teach.

"Need to learn to distract," he said, uncapping the skin and lifting it up to his mouth. "What else you father teach you?"

He drank as he waited for an answer, half an eye on her, filling his mouth with water, and readying the next part of Ramona's lesson.

Konrad Venger
Long is The Way and Hard

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Skin Game (Ramona)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on September 1st, 2017, 2:41 pm

"Does not have name,"Hansel replied, Ramona looked at him. Confused. What kind of fighting style has no name? Well... it seemed that a lot of them didn't. "Is just brawling. Fight with what you have, what can get hands on. All else is just knowing how to take punch. You know already."

"My father- he told me to not ever give up."Ramona said with confidence, she rubbed her stomach where Hansel had kicked her earlier.

"Not expect anything. One more fight. Each different. All same. Only person changes." Hansel seemed to have learned from his own experience. One who'd normally speaks the way Hansel does, he had probably changed a lot.

"You've changed- different. I can tell."Ramona said. "Could learn a lot here in Endrykas. Are you planning on staying for winter?"Ramona asked.

"Need more speed. And want to do that? Get close. So man cannot see you foot start to move."

Ramona nodded as Hansel explained more and more about fighting. It seemed understandable, aside that Hansel should practice more Pavi. He should also work on his sign. Ramona has been trying super hard to not sign in front of Hanse"What else you father teach you?"

"I know how to punch."She answered. "And roll. Just in case of emergencies."Ramona added. She didn't like to use swords, never really enjoyed the sharpness of the blades. She preferred her hands, they could do more. Than what a simple flimsy blade can do.

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next