Skill Development: Carpentry

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on June 27th, 2017, 3:39 pm

For the past year or so, I have been working with carpentry with my uncle for summer. I was thinking about working on developing this skill, as it could be useful for characters in cities like Syka to work around this guideline. As they could be using carpentry for a lot of construction. I have something in mind project wise that could thoroughly explain the process of carpentry such as:

Article Author: Ramona Silvertongue
Lore Discussion Link: This Thread
Lore Workshop Link: Blank
Peer Review Link: Blank
Founder Review Link: Blank

A. The Synopsis
a. Description of carpentry would be explained. It would technically involve with a thorough description.
B. Prerequisites and Related Skills.
a. Prerequisites: These would be objects/skills needed to help guide your carpentry such as construction, crafting, etc... (Wood Carving Mathematics, Architecture, Philosophy, Bodybuilding, Construction).
I. Tools: List of tools needed for carpentry (non modern tools)
II. Skills: Skills needed to help support your carpentry. Which could definitely improve your carpentry.
b. Related Skills
I. A list of skills would be detailed here.
Carving, Sculpting, Masonry, Pottery,
C. History
a. How history began (lengthy paragraphs?)
b. Current use of Carpentry (maybe needed/maybe not?)
D. Skill Progression:
a. Novice (1-25)
I. Description of Novice work here.
b. Competent (26-50)
I. Description of Competent work here.
c. Expert (51-75)
I. Description of Expert work here.
d. Master (76-100)
I. Description of Master work here.
E. Work Cited
a. List of references (would be definitely be writing this article with my own writing).
F. Mizahar References (if any)
a. List would go here.
G. Important Notes (This can have it's own section)
a. List of important notes here.

If anyone sees anything missing, I could post a request through the article approval thread soon. Just waiting to see who else might be interested with this skill. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as we'll be getting one skill done at a time (even if it is a slow process).
Last edited by Ramona Silvertongue on July 15th, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Care to help out, leave a response?

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

"I see skies of blue. Red roses too. I will always love you."

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Words: 118181
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on June 27th, 2017, 4:38 pm

As a writer with a character who uses Carpentry I'm most interested. A few things I'd like to see, if possible, would be 1) A very definitive difference between Carving and Carpentry. and 2) Styles of carpentry that may stand out based on areas of prominence. What I mean by this is like... Zeltiva being a city of shipbuilding may have a particular style of carpentry, whereas cities like Avanthal, Spires, or Ravok, cities i feel would have a lot of woodworking due to proximity of forests, would have their own specific styles. I don't know what those styles may consist of, but I feel like a Carpenter from one city would be able to recognize if something is built in one of these other prominent cities.
Follow your heart, and the plot will follow.
Karyk
Player

Words: 273057
Joined roleplay: April 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on June 27th, 2017, 4:50 pm

The city portion could have it's own section on the guideline? I could incorporate the differences within the related skills portion of the guideline and the different/unique building styles could be incorporated within the different cities that use different builds?

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on June 27th, 2017, 4:58 pm

Perhaps a "Cultural Impact" section? Yes, essentially all cultures use carpentry, but this section could include standouts, where Carpentry had a huge impact on a city, or a city had a huge impact on Carpentry.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on June 27th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Carpentry is big when first building a city of course. So one must need carpentry to build. Also, Masonry is a good skill to have as a prerequisite for carpentry, I think. So the "Cultural Impact" section would probably fit best after the "History" section. How lengthy would you think the History section should be?

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Karyk on June 27th, 2017, 8:08 pm

As long as it needs to be.

I know thats a crappy answer but, basically in a history of a skill, you're looking for where the skill was developed initially. This can be multiple places developing it independently of one another. Just write to write. If its not enough, it will get pointed out in the questions asked by peer reviews. The biggest thing is to get pen to paper now. Edits will come.
Karyk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Dove Brown on June 27th, 2017, 8:24 pm

I'd disagree that masonry should be a pre-req for carpentry. Working with wood and working with stone/brick are not necessarily related. You can have one without the other.
Very busy at work. May not be around much for a while.
Threads: 3/3

Dove Brown
Keeping my head, my backbone, and my heart

Words: 181194
Joined roleplay: July 30th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on June 28th, 2017, 1:03 am

It would then be a part of the related skills for now then right? So we've got, History, Skill Progression, Prerequisites, and Related Skills, I'll add "Cultural Impact" to Carpentry as well. I'll add a list of tools and resources as well. Would there be anything else that we might need?

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kaleidoscope on July 11th, 2017, 4:43 pm

G. Important Rules (Not sure where to put this?)
a. List of rules here.

By rules, what do you mean? :)

b. Current use of Carpentry (maybe needed/maybe not?)

I think this would be needed... or at least, it would be interesting. ^_^

Remember also that if you are talking about carpentry in a particular city, you must discuss it with the storyteller of that city.

I'm glad someone's interested in tackling this though. :) I'll be sure to write a review once you have the first draft up.
Alvadas | Linkmap | Calendar
Ahnatep | Linkmap | OOC
Office
~
Stepped down from ST roles: 1/9/2017
Thanks for all the fish.
Kaleidoscope
Taking a Bow

Words: 320260
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2016, 6:13 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Languish on July 12th, 2017, 5:37 am

I love seeing new faces in World Development. Welcome to the chaos, Ramona. :D

The only note I would have is to be careful about what is a Prerequisite and what is a Related Skill. Prerequisites are required before you can have Carpentry. As mentioned, Masonry would not be a good prerequisite, because one can absolutely work with wood and not stone.

In your write-up, you wrote Construction as an example prerequisite. If anything, Carpentry would be a Prerequisite for Construction, not the other way around. Being able to build on any scale is not a requirement for being able to craft with wood- you could simply carve and polish wood without actually "building" anything.

Of course, if you're not sure about which category to put a skill in, well, that's what peer review is for. We can easily let you know if you should switch one around.
Languish
Wasting Away

Words: 126070
Joined roleplay: September 15th, 2016, 2:19 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Next