[Pumpkin Festival] When Bubbles Start to Boil (Trista pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Re: [Pumpkin Festival] When Bubbles Start to Boil (Trista pls)

Postby Alice on January 31st, 2010, 5:37 pm

Rhine’s expression didn’t change in the least when hearing Trista’s slightly sardonic voice, but still her smile seemed to brighten when the Akvatari went back to a rather normal reaction – rather normal for Rhine, although it might be fairly enthusiastic for Akvatari standards. The Konti didn’t know.

Instead of pondering over her companion’s motivation, however, she led her up a staircase with narrow steps, but plenty of space for moving and flying. Sparse, but beautiful ornaments accompanied them on their way upwards and upwards and upwards … Eventually they reached another corridor which looked similar to the one at ground level, apart from a single difference: The slim pools of water were gone. After following the corridor for a while, the Konti and the Akvatari reached a small ladder of white wood.

There Rhine paused to catch her breath, although she still seemed much fitter than one would expect judging from her pace. Glancing at the short ladder and the bright opening at the ceiling Syna was sending her light through, she gestured for Trista to move. “You go first. It’s a bit narrow there, so better pay attention.”

Assuming that Trista followed her advice, she would be rewarded with a spectacular view over Konti Isle. Empty fields, grasslands, groups of trees and small pathways forcing their way through them here and there … and everything lighted by Syna’s rays in warm browns, greens and, of course, whites. West lay the island’s capital, its slender towers reaching towards the sky, its sparkling water canals full with life and eventually meeting Silver Lake at the Southeast. Mura seemed to consist of ivory and iridescent light with a few colorful patches between them.

A moment later Rhine’s white head appeared in the opening, and then she was standing at the small platform at the top of the headquarter. There was space for two Konti of average size and built, meaning that the Akvatari would be most comfortable floating a one or two feet over it. The platform was built on one of two massive stone columns meeting each other in the middle of the roof of which the top was made of glass. If Trista was interested in peering through it, she would see the huge main hall they had passed after entering.

After enjoying the sight for a few moments, Rhine turned back to Trista, beaming. “This is my world, and our territory!” Blinking, she added: “However, I originally wanted to tell you something … or rather, show you. I don’t know anything about you, that’s true, but still I want you to know … that you don’t have to be hopeless. I want to give you something. You don’t need to give me anything back, of course it would be nice if you did, but it’s not necessary …”

She took a deep breath. The chatterbox thought about how she should voice what she wanted to say. “Are you interested in my story? Do you want to listen to it carefully and try to learn something from it? Many people listen to stories as if they were nothing more … just stories for entertainment purposes. But I ask you to listen properly, because I really believe that you are willing to learn something. You wouldn’t be here if it was senseless, right?”
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on February 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm

Trista followed Rhine with little comment, making her way through the staircase and the opening in the ceiling. She had to admit, once she reached the top, that the view from here was fantastic. It was easy to understand why this would be something that one would want to show a visitor.

She had almost forgotten that Rhine was with her, and she jerked her head back around when the Konti spoke. It was an odd way to begin a conversation -- although Trista was beginning to realize that "odd" had less meaning when it came to Rhine than one might expect -- and the Akvatari turned her full attention to her companion.

Not have to be hopeless? That was an...interesting place to take the discussion. Akvatari were known for their somewhat depressing outlook on life, true, but Trista took it as an item of faith that the universe wasn't out to do her any favors. She remembered a line from Kenabelle Wright's An Account of the Circumnavigation of Mizahar, a book that she had read dozens of times growing up. Wright was talking about the ocean, but Trista rather thought it could be applied without alteration to the entire world.

"[It] is not hostile; no, it's something much more terrible, much more frightening. It is utterly, wholly, and completely indifferent. It takes absolutely no notice of one vessel or one individual."

Her blue eyes met Rhine's. "I've seen the power of stories." In Eloab, she had bargained with a supernatural being for the future of a young woman, and her currency had been her tales. "If you have a story to tell me, you may be assured that I'll listen as carefully as I know how."
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Alice on February 10th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Upon getting her answer, Rhine slowly released the breath she’d been holding – a sign of how much Trista’s words meant to her. Although she sometimes appeared egoistic and self-centered, she also possessed the unique ability of the Konti: Seeing people as what they are, with all their hopes, fears, strengths and weaknesses, and not judging them. Rhine knew that Trista lacked something, although she wouldn’t have been able to name it. ‘It’ was enough for her to be willing to help. And perhaps that was the purpose, the missing link she had noticed at first sight.

Looking at the beautiful landscape once more, she started: “I was born as the daughter of a Konti and an Akalak. They own a family business, and in my childhood they demanded me to help out there, but I didn’t show much interest. I like my freedom … like going wherever I want to. I’m no child anymore. I have met another Akvatari before, and I somehow felt a connection, because we both were outcasts. I mean, the Konti here don’t avoid or insult me. They would never do such things, but they still let you feel that you don’t belong to them. They form a community that’s hard to get into, almost like an exclusive club for special individuals. It seems that I’m not special enough. Neither are you or the other Akvatari.”

Her eyes were distant, buried in past or even present experiences, although her features were completely blank. That was so unusual that Trista would most likely think that she was upset. She was, in some way, but then she wasn’t. Instead she had put up with the uncomfortable isolationist role. Then she turned around and showed her bright and cheerful smile. “I was lucky, because I found the Suviak … or rather, they found me. Komna is far nicer to me than I deserve. She has taught me many things, but above all, she has evoked a feeling of belonging to a group. The Suviak are my family now. They not only consist of Konti, but we know and respect each other. It’s because we have goals and beliefs in common.”

Eventually she seemed to see Trista again. “Do you understand?”, she asked, expression intense, eyes penetrating. Regardless of what or even if Trista answered, she would continue: “I feel that you are similar to me … that you have experienced the same. However, believing in gods has taught me one thing: There are no coincidences. Everything is part of a divine plan we can’t even remotely understand. You just must have faith … must believe that eventually you will find a place among people that like and respect you.”

Even after having finished, Rhine still stared at Trista, eager about the effect of her little speech. It was the first time that she gave advice to others, but she clearly felt that it was the right time. And although she might have come across as a bit awkward, she really hoped that she had moved something inside the calm and collected Akvatari.

It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on February 22nd, 2010, 11:57 pm

Trista listened carefully, giving the Konti all of her considerable powers of attention. She said nothing, and indeed, didn't say anything for several seconds after Rhine finished. The only sound was the soft hum of her wings.

"I believe that I understand what you mean." She turned her head, looking away from Rhine and back toward the expanse of Konti Isle that unfurled before her. "Certainly, I know what it is like to be alone, even among others -- as you do."

The girl sighed, an existential sigh that seemed too heavy for her body. "Perhaps there aren't any coincidences. But the various divinities each have their own plans, which cross and recross, moving at right angles to each other, cutting each other's threads and twisting each other's purposes." Her fingers played lightly on the railing. "I have a goddess, I think, and I have some measure of accompanying faith, but I don't know that it means I believe I have or will have a place..."

She broke off, and turned sharply toward Rhine. "I like you, Rhine. And I admire your faith. I wish I could share it fully, but I perhaps am the better for having heard your story. I'm grateful to you for sharing it."

This was said earnestly, without any of her previous sarcasm. She looked at the Konti with melancholy blue eyes, giving her the best smile that she could.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on March 1st, 2010, 8:57 pm

Rhine smiled at Trista’s reply. Still the Akvatari sounded a bit hesitant, almost as if she tried to avoid being sure about things. But that was perfectly fine for the first time. Perhaps she had just found her Goddess. Rhine didn’t know, after all. She clapped her hands in delight. “Sounds good! That’s a step into the right direction, so better than nothing at all.” She added: “Don’t you think so?”

Then she turned away, letting her gaze flow over the beautiful view. The sun was setting. The day was ending. There was some kind of end of their meeting that lay in that scene. Perhaps Trista would feel it as well. However, Rhine wasn’t ready to end it yet. There were things to be said, so many possibilities to be explored. She slowly started considering that their encounter could have been a beginning as well. Wouldn’t that make more sense? They just started to like each other.

Maybe the Suviak … no. Rhine firmly shook her head at herself. She was imagining things now.

Smiling again, she replied without taking her eyes from the landscape: “I’m glad I could give you at least that.” Then she spun around and gave a crooked grin. “I have been dragging you around all the time! Anyway.”

She coughed a bit and cleared her throat as if she was nervous or wanted to prepare for something important. Her hands wandered into her white hair where pearls were still glittering through. Syna’s bright light made them appear like pure gold. Every single pearl matched the others in shape and size – masterpieces of Caiyha, Mother Nature. Looking at Trista, she slowly took one of the two rows out of her hair and held it in both hands. Weighing what looked like a necklace, remembering its unique value.

Suddenly she held the right hand out – scales glittering in the sunlight – and gestured for Trista to take the pearl necklace. “It’s yours. A present.” She seemed to be uncomfortable or just not used to giving to others. Indeed, usually she was the one who took away. “However, I want you to promise me something in turn.”

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on March 7th, 2010, 1:37 am

Trista was sure about precious few things in life. The world was ugly, and the people were sad, and that was about all she was reasonably confident about. But nonetheless, she smiled in response to Rhine's first question, though she had nothing to say.

She looked curiously as Rhine said she had something to give her. A small gasp escaped Trista's lips as she looked carefully at the necklace. It was gorgeous, and looked to be enormously expensive. She reached out her hand, but stopped when Rhine placed a condition on the gift.

"What is it you want?" she asked cautiously. Trista was not the sort of person who would promise anything without knowing what it was, not to anyone. Well, she might have been willing to trust her grandmother that far, but her grandmother had gone back to Lhex, and wasn't likely to be asking anything of her anytime soon.

The Akvatari looked again at the pearls, and then back at Rhine's face. The other girl was nervous, although Trista could not guess the reason. But this had been a strange day, and Trista was ready for almost anything that Rhine might say next.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on March 9th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Although it was to be expected, the careful words from the Akvatari’s lips stung. Rhine should have expected that particular reaction, but instead she had spoken and acted without thinking once more. Perhaps it was her curse – a curse and a gift as well. The Konti girl really wanted to believe that Trista would accept her present regardless of the promise that was bound to it.

Anyway, she swallowed, her throat suddenly dry, and answered: “I got it from Komna when entering the Suvak ten years ago. That doesn’t mean that I demand you to join our ranks, although you would always be welcome …” She smiled, a genuine and honest smile that showed her irrational hope – irrational for her, anyway. “No, I want you to promise me a single thing that will neither take away much time nor will it be in any other way difficult to fulfill. You don’t have to fulfill it now, not even today or this season, I won’t be able to control you anyway. I would never do that even if I were able to! Anyway …”

She took a deep breath and raised the pearls a bit so that tiny sparkles flashed here and there. Directly looking Trista in the eye, she exclaimed: “I want you to actively search for a place you belong on Mizahar. I want you to leave no stone unturned to fulfill that wish and promise. Maybe you will do it unwillingly, but at least it is something that ultimately helps to ease your existence.” There, she had spoken the words. Her uncertainty about Trista being willing to fulfill that wish she hid effectively.

Then she took a step forward, leaned over the balustrade and arranged the heavy string in Trista’s own hair, given that she was allowed to do so. Although it was difficult for the short Konti to see what she was doing on the floating Akvatari’s head, her hands were careful and calm and eventually the row of pearls graced Trista’s head just like it had Rhine’s before. “Sisters in thought”, she whispered in slight surprise, as if she had just realized that little detail.

Another smile reached the floating girl, warm and open this time. “We will meet again …” Basically Trista could choose between regarding it as a question or a simple statement born of divine knowledge, but Rhine was still watching her opponent. She felt that it was time.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on March 12th, 2010, 12:51 am

Trista held very still as Rhine gave her the answer and then placed the pearls in her hair. It seemed a moment of grave solemnity. Without really meaning to, she returned the whisper. "Sisters in thought."

Could she fulfill the promise? It depended, she supposed. There was a sense in which she was always looking for a place to belong, although she believed that none existed. Beyond that, she did not think at the moment, although Rhine's words would likely come to mind repeatedly over the coming days and seasons.

She smiled back at the Konti. "Until then." She didn't know if the girl's statement was a wish or a promise, but here on the island, she would have believed either one.

Then she dove off the balcony, her wings catching the air and carrying her freely through the sky back to Mura.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on March 23rd, 2010, 6:18 pm

Mura Experience Award
Please update your CS accordingly!

ImageExperience Points Awarded:

Trista - 3 pts Listening

Lore Awarded:

Trista - Ivak (partial), the Suviak (partial), Rhine, Rhine's Promise

Items Granted:

Trista - Pearl Necklace

Comments: Thank you for this thread! You played Trista very well, her reactions are realistic, but still original. I hope I can create something more interesting for you next time though!

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Previous