[Pumpkin Festival] When Bubbles Start to Boil (Trista pls)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

[Pumpkin Festival] When Bubbles Start to Boil (Trista pls)

Postby Alice on November 1st, 2009, 5:55 pm

... continued from here.

Why was Trista even walking at the ground? Perhaps that question would rise inside her mind when she observed the Konti that were either rushing or slowly strolling past her. Some came from the opposite direction, some took the same way as her, but most of them weren’t used to the sight of an Akvatari, although the occasional exemplar of that race came to the White Isle every now and then.

They were fascinated by her appearance, wings as well as scales – someone who could wander water, earth and sky. And while they chose to use the earth as their primary home and shelter, the Akvatari were full sea-dwellers. Most Konti found that fact truly fascinating, and a few even thought about starting a conversation.

Getting information about how people could live underwater … but they were too consumed by the festival to pay much attention to the stranger. Trista was left on her own.

When Trista stretched her wings, many looks followed her, but soon lost interest. Just like any other bird … the Akvatari faded out of their minds pretty quickly. Only children who possessed an extraordinary amount of imagination let her live a few more moments in their mind, making up little stories about her possible goal.

Indeed, the paintings were a marvelous sight. For that occasion, large white sheets had been produced and the most talented painters had filled them with an explosion of color, shape and often an unmistakable meaning: gratefulness. However, some works were different in a refreshing way, depicting fights of the gods over the earth of Mizahar, jealousy, loneliness, problems. The themes were ranging from simple everyday stories to epic mythological tales.

At nearly every corner and every building bigger than the average size the sheets had been placed. However, around the center of the city with the most important official locations and popular shops they were clearly concentrated. If she paid close attention, Trista would discover that many paintings included water in one or another form.

From the air she would soon recognize that something was glittering, sending signs from the streets when being reflected by the sun. A girl was watching the paintings in silent, calm admiration – or rather a young woman, since it was hard to tell how old a Konti under 200 actually was. The pearls she wore around wrists, neck and in her snow white hair caught the rays of the sun and glittered painfully in Trista’s eyes. She was wearing a simple, sea blue dress and apparently lost in thought about the paintings she was studying.

Just another Konti girl wandering the streets, inspecting elaborately painted sea and waves, while moving like the flowing water of a river herself. Just another girl, indeed … or not?

On the other hand, just about every person was able to tell an entertaining and unique story.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Re: [Pumpkin Festival] When Bubbles Start to Boil (Trista pls)

Postby Trista on November 6th, 2009, 2:38 am

The people were interested in her as a curiosity, but only until something else passed by to take their attention. The Konti were a family, but not her family, and she was nothing to them but a momentary thought.

The paintings were interesting though. There was a water theme going on, and Trista had painted enough seascapes to have a thorough appreciation for the technique. The pictures -- or most of them anyway -- were tinged with the sort of joy that Trista's own work never had, but she nonetheless was aware that it fit the mood of the people of Mura. Indeed, the Akvatari rather wondered what had prompted the more somber paintings.

She was about to swoop down for a closer look, but before she could do so, something distracted her. There was a light in her eyes at irregular intervals; at first, she thought someone below was wearing armor or holding a shield, but upon closer inspection, it proved to be a woman's jewelry. Nothing threatening there, and so Trista descended to the ground, hovering a few inches above the street.

She examined the painting for several moments, looking to see what the painting's theme, tone, and technique was. After doing so, she turned slightly to the pearl-clad woman. "It's beautiful. Do you know the artist?" The intensity of the woman's examination led her to believe that perhaps this was the case, and Trista was always interested in knowing the identity and work of a fellow painter.
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Alice on November 14th, 2009, 4:22 pm

When the Akvatari came down to just a few inches above ground, the girl looked up. She neither jumped nor opened her mouth, she just turned around and faced the person that was approaching her. From short distance Trista could easily identify the jewelry that had attracted her attention: two bracelets and a necklace of simple, iridescent pearls graced her ivory skin. Her head was crowned with two rows of small pearls glittering through her hair here and there.

When hearing Trista's question, the girl cocked her head, glanced back at the painting and stood still for a moment. Then she shook her head, snow white hair almost covering her face. "No, I don't. These paintings are dedicated to Bala, thus it isn't significant who created them. ... The knowledge about the artist would only lessen the respect for the gods it should depict", she added, as if wanting to make sure that the stranger understood the idea.

Then she came closer, one, two steps. Her crystal blue eyes narrowed while she was inspecting the Akvatari from head to toe. No doubt, this was one of the melancholic people who wandered land, sea and sky searching for something nameless. At least she had heard and read that much. But for her, that fact carried a deeper meaning, and she was determined to open Trista's eyes about the possibilities.

Suddenly she held her right hand out. "I'm Rhine, that's the name my friends use - and I'm sure that we'll become friends. Close friends, yes?" She cocked her head again and grinned. "Please forgive me, sometimes I sense when something important will happen or when I meet someone important. So, do you want to tell me why you are here today?" Her eyes were staring at Trista, watching every movement and concentrating only on her.

It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on November 15th, 2009, 8:30 pm

Trista nodded -- she did understand the concept of anonymous artwork for religious purposes, although it didn't fit will within her own spiritual sensibilities. But this wasn't her town, after all, and her opinions weren't the important thing here.

She opened her mouth to say something else, but closed it again as the Konti began...inspecting her. It was a bit unnerving -- although, having lived in Mura for a year, she was aware of the fact that Konti gifts of sight could kick in at any time, for any reason, or what seemed to be no reason at all.

The end result wasn't what Trista was expecting -- though it was hard to say what she was expecting, it wasn't this sort of overeager friendliness. Nonetheless, she accepted the handshake and inclined her head. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Rhine. I'm Trista."

The explanation that she received next confirmed her earlier suspicions. "Well...I don't know that I'd qualify as someone important, but...thanks." Her voice trailed off as she tried to think of how to answer the question. It was difficult, because Trista wasn't sure she could explain it to herself, let alone to someone else.

"I used to live in Mura," she said, her voice now softer. "And I guess you could say that I felt like I needed to come back. I don't know why -- it's just a sense of something being left undone, a vague sense, nothing specific. But anyway, since I'm here, I thought that I might as well come look at the paintings -- I'm an artist myself, and I always enjoy an exhibition." It sounded vaguely ridiculous as she said it, but that didn't make it untrue.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on November 29th, 2009, 7:45 pm

"Nice to meet you too, Trista", Rhine repeated, as if to make sure that she remembered the name. Then she chuckled at the Akvatari's next words. Oh, she hadn't expected someone melancholic to make a joke, but then, even weak jokes were still jokes. Rhine liked to laugh over everyday happenings, funny little details - it made life much more enjoyable.

However, when Trista started to talk, she listened carefully. Her eyes narrowed and her pale brows furrowed, although not suspiciously, rather showing a large amount of concentration. So she had been to Mura before? Interesting, very interesting. To Rhine the words of the melancholic woman proved that she had purposely been sent to this place again. Only Rhine could see the true future through the veils of the presence. Unfortunately it changed with every passing moment, the future of certain people.

Rhine recognized the pressure on her mind - she had to seize the chance as long as it was still available. Something being left undone - how suitable!

To her winged companion she smiled and made an inviting gesture. "Let's walk a few steps together. It's more refreshing to have a talk when you're walking." Once they had started to walk towards the next street, leaving the painting, but approaching others, she asked curiously: "So ... The fact that you're a painter too is very exciting. Unfortunately, I have no talent for that artform, so it seems even more admirable to me. What do you paint?"

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on November 30th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Trista still wasn't sure what to make of this particular Konti. Nonetheless, a wry smile twisted across her lips at Rhine's suggestion. "Walking" was something of which an Akvatari was entirely incapable -- even "crawling" was incredibly hard work. Nonetheless, Trista accepted the invitation, and flitted beside her new companion, remaining only a few inches off the ground in order to be more conversational.

The next question was regarding one of the few things that was easy for Trista to talk about. "Drawing is actually my specialty, though I paint as well. I like landscapes, and I like candid portraits of people, the kind you draw in the city square when people don't know you're watching them." She shrugged, the muscles on her bare shoulders clearly defined. "I've tried historical scenes and sitting portraits, but they don't seem to be where my talents lie, at least right now."

"Anyway, it keeps me occupied." A laugh, albeit a somewhat rueful one. "And what of you? What is your task among the sisterhood?"

Trista was genuinely curious as to what Rhine's place was in this society. She seemed a little...flighty?...but it was also true that the Konti knew how to make excellent use of the gifts of each one.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on December 2nd, 2009, 6:01 pm

Rhine was watching the Akvatari with a hint of interest in her eyes while Trista was flitting at her side. Wings ... surely they were practical, but then you couldn't do anything with them if you want to move over firm ground. For that people needed legs. It was amazing that Trista was here, at the island, rather than somewhere out at the sea. On the other hand, Rhine believed that she knew why Trista was here and nowhere else.

Then she listened with an open expression on her face, pushing loose strands back behind her ears a few times. When Trista was finished, she smiled. "I like that! You see what nobody else recognizes. You're a seer of the hidden, then. Don't you think that this is a gift too?"

The last sentence indicated that Trista didn't really know what to make of her talent. Didn't she feel skilled enough to host an exhibition or something like that? Rhine didn't possess any knowledge about art business too, but there had to be one way or another - if only the will existed. Well, apparently it did not, so ...

She cleared her throat, ready to talk of what had kept her occupied since she had been a child, but beginning with a personal detail. "The gift Avalis has granted me isn't that helpful or interesting. So I was looking for other ways to support a community ..." The memory of old nights and empty days was passing inside her mind. She never ever wanted to experience that again! "One of my cousins eventually introduced me to a very special and important organization. Since then I've helped them. We ... try to protect the shores of Konti Isle and the mainland from eventual floods and cyclons."

Pausing, Rhine thought of how to voice her next thought. It was extremely important how she portrayed that specific 'organization' to Trista - every word, every spoken melody carried a meaning and influenced the opponent. She decided to take it slow. "Do you worship any specific god or goddess, Trista? If so, why? And if not ... don't you think that it's somehow necessary?" A delicate question, but Rhine was sure that the thoughtful Akvatari had pondered over that one as well.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on December 6th, 2009, 12:14 am

Truth be told, Trista had had exhibitions before, and even had a painting on permanent display at the Lemanychol, Abura's premier gallery. But, although she planned to do more of that in the future, it didn't seem to be the thing to do right now. She was working on pieces all the time, but for now, she was largely keeping them to herself. The time would come.

At Rhine's first question, however, Trista merely gave a small smile. "All art is a gift, whether from the artist, or in the mind of the audience." If the Akvatari sensed anything else in the question, she didn't indicate it.

It was interesting that Rhine brushed off Trista's question without answering it, choosing instead to begin talking about...something else? The way Rhine phrased it made Trista wonder if it was the sort of "legitimate business" that people who had grown up in Sunberth tended to start. But she was also curious -- protecting against floods and cyclones? It surprised Trista that the Konti wouldn't already have some kind of guard in place, especially since Avalis and Laviku both more or less lived here.

Whatever it was that Rhine was getting at, it seemed to have religious undertones, at least given the Konti's next question. Trista glanced around, looking to see if anyone else was in the general area. "I follow Avalis. I began to do so when I was last in Mura." The particular experience that had led to this was one of which she rarely if ever spoke, but it had been a profound one.

One eyebrow arched. "And you?" If Rhine was going to ask these kinds of questions, she would ask them back, at least until she had a better idea what was going on.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alice on December 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Rhine watched Trista's hesitation to speak in public with interest, and at the same time questions started to bother her. Why did she want to hide that she was worshipping Avalis? The Goddess was known to be friendly and open to everyone. A more obvious question would be why Trista had gotten fond of a Goddess she possessed no connection with. Rhine, marked from the All-Seeing Mother herself, could sense that the Akvatari didn't possess a gnosis mark.

Nevertheless she nodded thoughtfully. Secrets always intrigued her, but at that moment she decided not to ask for further information. If Trista really followed the Seer Goddess, nothing could be done about that. Rhine was someone who understood that all too well.

Instead she smiled. "It may be a bit ... difficult to get used to, but I worship Ivak. Many people do have prejudices against him, but since our organization are doing something beneficial for all of us, we have a formal permission to do whatever is necessary."

Then, as if demonstrating her deep belief in the God, she removed the fabric at her shoulder to reveal a beautifully curled, flame-like tattoo, a gnosis mark of Ivak. "I am proud that I have found my obsession in working for Him", she added happily.

To answer or comment was left to Trista, and whether she approved of or mistrusted Rhine's connection to Ivak was very important.

Alice
Shade of Grey

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on December 8th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Trista froze, only the rhythmic beating of her wings proving that she hadn't suddenly been turned to stone. There was a long, long pause, more than long enough to pass through awkward and become downright uncomfortable.

"I can't imagine that makes you very popular at parties." She inclined her head toward Rhine's shoulder. Did Ivak even give gnosis marks anymore? Apparently he did, from wherever it was that he'd been locked away; if anything, that made the whole situation more disconcerting.

The Akvatari gave a heavy sigh. "My people are created by none and claimed by none. We have no history, no identity, no historic sense of self. We live in the world without touching it, seeing much and saying little. It has been so since we first awoke, in the years after the Valterrian."

Probing blue eyes met Rhine's. "Many connect our appearance, such as it is, to the cataclysm itself. It's not a huge leap from there to make the inference that many have done -- that Ivak's rage, in addition to changing the land and the sea, erased our sense of continuity, of purpose, of memory."

The Akvatari shrugged, her blue wings continuing to beat the air. "I don't know what is real or true about any of it. Some days I almost believe that the world has already ended, and that this is only the last dream, from which we will never wake." She seemed to be searching for something else to say, and she adjusted her leather strap without thinking.

"If you have a purpose, and the purpose helps others, that is between you, your people, and your deity -- and, eventually, perhaps Lhex as well." Trista sighed again, a deep, existential sound that seemed to shake her whole body. She thought about saying something else, but decided against it.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next