The Magicians Show[Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Rydic Coldfall on January 27th, 2011, 12:22 am

Winter 14, 510 AV

Rydic pulled on his hat and started to walk out the door, his parent's had just gotten home a few minutes ago, and it was about time for him to leave. He said a quick goodbye, and hurriedly got out the door. It wasn't quite that he didn't like his parents, just, they had less interactions these days. It worked for everyone. As he was rounding the corner of his property on to the public streets, he tied the red and green ribbons of his ribbon daggers both in a knot around his wrists, the blades themselves resting up his sleeves.

"Rex! Brutus!"

He called to his two hunting dogs, who were just as much companions as they were hunters. He saw Rex, the Akinva round the corner bounding towards him, followed at about a half second delay by Brutus, his beloved tracker.

"Hey boys! Ready for a good hunt today? Right after the show I promise."

Rydic talked to his dogs as though they could really understand him, he did it all the time, the two dogs were probably the closest family he had. The two hounds wagged their tails rapidly in unison, and Rydic smiled as he turned the corner, the two at his heals.

He walked to his normal post, and started to set up for a show, he hadn't done a full set in almost a week, and didn't plan on it today either, just a few tricks here and there to hopefully get enough money to buy some bread at the store later. He knealt down and pulled out the brush from his backpack, and some playing cards that he kept under the stack of wood at the corner of the street he did his tricks at. He did a practice trick, taking three cards, throwing them in the air, catching all three, and making them seem like three different cards. It was quite a simple trick, but it amazed many.

While he was practicing, a small child, eight years old max walked up to him with the biggest smile on his face, pleading for him to do another. Rydic smiled, the youth of Syliras always made him feel like he really did accomplish something special. He nodded at the boy, he would show him something else of course!

"Sure bud! Watch this."

He smiled at the child, then showed the boy the brush he had taken from his backpack, it was a normal brush he explained, there was nothing special. Then he took a playing card, and pushed it down onto the card, making a ton of tiny holes through the card. Then, showing the boy the card, he took it off the brush and smiled at the boy, and he ran his hand over the card saying the words

"This card has been ruined, so give me a new one. I need a Jack of spades, please give me some aid!"

The card was mended, unfortunately, Rydic had the wrong card up his sleeve, and the card that appeared was a four of hearts, and of course, the boy noticed. He laughed, and Rydic felt extremely embarrased. As his face turned to a shade of cherry, the boy giggled and ran away. Rydic sighed. He knew that trick back and forth, why did he mess it up? Oh well it's not that bad. It was just a small boy, he turned to Rex and Brutus and motioned for them to follow him, obviously it wasn't his day for illusions, so he may as well go hunt.

Rydic walked down the streets of Syliras, eager to get on with his day and do something productive.
Rydic Coldfall
Player

Words: 15208
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2011, 2:21 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on January 28th, 2011, 12:10 am

Jonathon wandered aimlessly down the streets of Syliras, bored out of his skull. He was a hunter, but he didn't feel like putting together a hunting party and it would be dangerous to hang around outside for too long alone. Besides, he felt kind of nervous going outside recently Probably that one hunting trip... Think, Jonathon. What haven't you done lately?

Jonathon thought. He could go have a drink at the pub, but it seemed too early and Jonathon didn't really hold his drink well anyways. Perhaps just go have a visit with Father? Jonathon had only seen him once after he got his new job as a tutor. Perhaps it was time to pop in again...

Absorbed in thought, he accidentally bumped into a young man. Jonathon blinked in surprise. "Erm, I'm sorry. Got a bit distracted..." The man had two dogs near him, both of which looked at him suspiciously, growling and even barking. Jonathon took a step back; by now, the area had been cleared a bit of pedestrians, and several passersby had stopped to watch.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Rydic Coldfall on January 28th, 2011, 3:23 am

Rydic was strolling along, most of his recent struggles forgotten, whistling aimlessly to a tune that had been stuck in his head for days. Rex and Brutus followed obidiently. When he turned onto the next street, he realized there was almost noone passing by, he looked to the side, to see if anyone else was on the other side, nothing. Strange.. As he was in the middle of his thought, he felt a push on the side, nearly knocking him over. Rex and Brutus both started growling, and Rydic turned to look at the person who ran into him. The man quickly apologized and Rydic nodded in understanding.

"Both of you! Hush! I'm sorry about their behavior, I'm not sure what has gotten into them lately. I'm Rydic, Rydic Coldfall. I'm sure you've heard of my wonderful mag- er.. illusions.. no?"

He waited a moment.. and got nothing, he didn't figure he would, he had only been performing publicly for a few months, and not many came to watch anyway.. that was alright.

"Suppose not, thats ok. I'm just about to go hunting, have to provide for the family.. or at least myself, it's been hard lately."

His two pets finally started to calm down, and Rydic knelt down and rubbed Rexs back smiling, he stood back up and nodded to the stranger, whos name he had yet to find out. He had better get going, it was already past noon, according to the sun, and he didn't want to be in the woods to long, they were getting dangerous now adays. In the daytime alone, he didn't even want to take a chance at night.

"If you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way."

Rydic tipped his hat and started to turn around. It sure would be nice to actually have a partner hunting for once, it would make it alot easier. Oh well he said to himself, he'd have to deal with it, besides, sharing the game would suck anyway.
Rydic Coldfall
Player

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on January 28th, 2011, 7:57 am

Jonathon nodded as the dogs backed off. "Yeah...no. Sorry, haven't heard of you." A street performer, huh? He looks the part. But what's with the dogs? Jonathon soon got his answer; a hunting trip. Perhaps he could tag along? Those dogs looked like they could bring in some game...

"Wait!" Jonathon stopped the man before he left completely. "You're going out hunting...? Do you want a partner?" Jonathon indicated his bow and arrows. "I happen to be a hunter myself, and not just as a way to get food; money, too. We could help each other quite a bit." Jonathon's eyes flickered to the dogs. He had had enough time hunting with inexperienced youths from his last trip, but the dogs would be helpful no matter the skill of the user.

"You have the meat, I'll make do with any other items we find." Of course, that would apply to everything from the pelts and skins to the wallets of any bandits they come across; if they come across any bandits, that is. Although Jonathon was willing to be generous if his share seemed too unfair.

Jonathon recalled what he was planning to do that day; I can visit Father any day, but I have to work if I want to eat. Jonathon put it out of his mind. "Besides, the areas around here are quite dangerous; I generally don't hunt alone, and I'm a professional hunter. You could get killed out there without my help." Although he did take walks around the forest alone, he was careful and didn't try to hunt anything; although he had run into some scrapes from just the walking, too.

"So how about it? We'll have to get going soon if we're going to do it today."

oocIf we do go hunting, we might want to get a Storyteller to mod it for us. Or whatever.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Rydic Coldfall on January 28th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Rydic stopped short as he heard the man yell after him. As her turned around, the man asked if he'd like a partner for hunting, and he couldn't stop a grin from spreading across his face. It had been awhile since he'd had any kind of companion for something other then going out for some ale, so of course he'd accept the offer. Before he could reply however, the man added that Rydic could take the meat, and he could have whatever else they find, which was fine with him, the money could be made elsewhere, the sould purpose of hunting was to get food after all, for Rydic anyway.

"Sounds like you've got yourself a deal, I'm always looking forward to a partner now a days, especially one that actually knows that there doing"

Rydic nodded to the bow and arrows on the mans back, he seemed to at least look proffesional, which, in a few seconds Rydic realized that he was. As the man spoke, he shook his head up and down occasionaly. It was very likely that he could be killed without help in the woods, though it never really crossed his mind, it wasn't Rydic's style of thinking. Besides, he'd die from hunger without food, so what was the point in thinking negatively? All it would do was slow you down, though the man had a point, why take the risk when you could extinguish it.

"Yeah, bandits aren't good, especially for my like. I'd be glad to have you as a partner, but we should probably get moving. Its getting darker by the minute, no?"

As Rydic turned around, beginning to walk, figuring if the man was up for it he'd follow, Rydic checked his sleeves, he had his two protection weapons, and he had his two dogs. He also had a new addition to his hunting party, who seemed trustworthy enough, besides, it's not like Rydic had anything to steal, if the man really wanted to he might get a pack of cards away from the mugging, and it wouldn't be hard to get another one of those. Rydic shrugged, and pushed it out of his mind. He had to be fully concentrated on the hunt if he were to be successful today. He had walked a few paces, when he realized he hadn't checked if the guy.. I still havn't gotten a name yet.. dear me.. ..was following him. He looked over his shoulder quickly.

"I'm sorry, but I still havn't gotten a name, that would be useful, you know"

Rydic smiled casually as he awaited the mans reply.

(OOC: Yeah thatd probably be good, I'm not entirely sure how that all works yet.. So if you'd like to tell one thatd be great:p)
Rydic Coldfall
Player

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on January 28th, 2011, 10:49 pm

oocYeah. I already have a hunting thread going on, in a different timestamp, and that one has a mod. I'll try and get one for ya.

Jonathon grinned and followed the man, beginning to catch up to him. This hunting trip would hopefully be better than his last one; that one was certainly not fun. Jonathon could still feel an ever so slight pain in his ankle, although he chalked that down to psychological reasons.

"The name is Jonathon DuFraine." Jonathon caught up to him completely, and they both set off for the Syliras gates. This trip would likely be pretty short, but hopefully sweet. Who knows what he could loot out there?
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Rydic Coldfall on January 29th, 2011, 3:24 am

Jonathon DuFraine eh? Sounds.. sophisticated. None the less, they had better get going. Rydic nodded slowly, and continued towards the gate. It took them about ten minutes to get there, and it smiled a smile of relief. He turned around, and to his pleasure, still had a partner. He nodded to the guards, and stepped out of the gates and took a look around. Ahhh the outskirts, they are beautiful they are.

"Do you know how to make any traps, Jonathon? If not, we will have to use tracking skills only, which, shouldn't be to much of a problem either."

He looked down, smiled at his two puppies, and knew they knew what to do. Rex, the tracker, started to sniff the ground, in search of the nearest game. He knew, to come back when he found something that was of interest, be it game, or bandits, or some kind of treasure. Brutus would stay with him until Rex had returned, and the two would go off together, with Rydic right behind them, Brutus would chase down the game, be it small enough for him to kill itself. If it were large game, Rydic would kill it himself with his daggers stashed in his coat.

Now that he thought about it, Rydic didn't exactly know where he would include Jonathon in the running, he might ask him in a bit. He bounded off into the woods, looking behind him to make sure that Jonathon was still there, and in about fifty paces, he stopped, and listened. There was no movement, and he waited.

"I have an entire system worked out with my two pups here, please, let me know if you can find something to do besides help me kill the game when found. I'd be glad to work with it."

Rydic whispered to him, he didn't mean to sound cocky, though he was almost sure that it came out that way, though, he had to admit, after all the time he spent out here he was pretty good. Come to think of it though, the guy said he was a professional, maybe he'd have something to contribute that was wroth while afterall. Suppose we shall wait and see...
Rydic Coldfall
Player

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on January 29th, 2011, 10:27 am

Jonathon trailed along behind Rydic, thinking. When Rydic asked his question, it took a moment for him to answer. He had been feeling guilt about not making time to visit his father... but he would get over it.

"I'm afraid I don't know anything about that... One of the flaws in my education, I suppose." Jonathon didn't like to feel inferior in his own field; it was one of the things that irked him most. The woods were his home, and he didn't like the idea of others being better at working with it. It was petty, and Jonathon quashed the feeling.

Jonathon was more impressed than irked by the dogs' strategies. He could learn quite a bit from this hunting trip; new techniques and such. Perhaps he would get a dog of his own. "Me? I'll run with the dogs." Jonathon gave a grin. "I think your strategy involves one dog flushing them out, and another killing them. Well, I can help with both those tasks, and more. Or, we can hunt manually while the dogs give chase."

Jonathon knew little about dog-hunting, though, so he didn't have much else to contribute.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Rydic Coldfall on January 29th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Running with the dogs, huh? That was interesting, Rydic had never really thought about doing it that way. Though he had to admit, if the guy was fast enough it would work well. Rydic nodded to the mans statement, and turned his attention back to the woods, he had heard some far off growling a few seconds ago, but he was unsure whether it was Rex's or not.

"Okay, that could work, though your reflexes have to be quick, not that I doubt them of course."

Rydic talked over his shoulder, it was easier that way, considering the man was a stranger and he still felt awkward talking to his face. Then again, what did he care? Oh well.

So Jonathon was going to run with the dogs, which left him here alone. Once they found something, he would either hear the death of an animal, or they would come back and have him help. That seemed unlikely though, since there were two hunting dogs, and a well trained hunter in the party. That would mean that Rydic would have to go solo to make any kind of kill himself, which also wouldn't go to well since he wasn't very proficiant at tracking, thats why he had Rex. This could be a problem.

"Maybe it would be better to have two seperate parties, dogs and us. Not that your plan was bad, it was actually a very good plan, but it would leave me solo, and I'm not a very good lone fighter. So, I suppose what we could do, is have the dogs go in one directions, get whatever they can, while we go looking for something else deeper in the woods. We will take whatever we get, then return to get their game when were done. Does that sound like a gameplan, Jonathon?"

He was hoping that that'd work for him, or at least that he'd have a better plan, all this time spent debating on what to do, was less time they'd have able to actually hunt. However it was important to establish a gameplan, or else the extra twenty minutes they had wouldn't matter anyway. He waited for the mans response, listening intently to the sounds of the woods, hoping that for some reason random tracking skills would pop into his head. No such luck. All Rydic could make out was a far off owl, the random growls of.. Rex? No it didn't seem that way, but it was irrelevant he thought.

Hopefully Jonathon was better at it then he, if they were going to have a partnered hunting trip. It wouldn't go well with no tracker. He gripped the ribbons, that would be attached to his blades, and imagined himself going through the steps on fighting a bear, or a wolf. He also imagined how much easier it'd be, not having to rely on somewhat who couldn't talk back to him when he asked them to do something when it was a life or death situation. Maybe after this they could make a partnership, do it more often, who knew. Or maybe it wouldn't work out, he truly had no clue whatsoever where this trip was heading. That was the fun of it though, right?
Rydic Coldfall
Player

Character sheet

The Magicians Show[Open]

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on January 30th, 2011, 5:31 am

Jonathon nodded, smiled slightly, and bent over slightly for a second. "I bow to your superior knowledge on this one. I've never hunted with dogs before; this way would be perfect. I didn't think the dogs could go off hunting all on their own, but if they can, than we can just hunt."

Jonathon pulled out his bow and strung it. "Let's get to it, then. As you don't have a bow, I'll take out any small game we might encounter; anything big we take on together."
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Character sheet

Next