[Location: Lorcan's House] (Un)Wanted Visitors

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Dervish on January 27th, 2011, 11:46 pm

32nd Winter, 510 AV

The setting sun gave the cold streets and the old snow an aged but warm quality, as if the light rested itself gently on the roads and rooftops of the poor quarter, sharing what it had traveled and seen.
It illuminated a small, gray stone house, with corner beams made of wood and a old worn appearance. A thatched roof was covered in patchy snow, like gray or white streaks of hair in what must have once been a handsome haircut, with a black hole in the middle of it.
In all ways the house appeared old, it seemed to lean slightly away from the road, towards the canal right outside of the north windows, like an old man leaning against the waterbed. On the left side was a larger house with several apartments, and on the right a tiny common dock where a Ravosala or two were locked to wooden posts at the sides. The house didn't seem to have a great many windows, except for one pointing north and a round hole through which one might look but hardly enter on the eastern side, covered by a wooden frame on the inside.

Dervish and Lorcan waited inside the house, an eerie silence lying across the room as they waited for the guests Dervish had informed him would arrive. The door was unlocked, and upon entering one would find a small room, six by six meters, with a burnt-out hearth, or actually a fire with a hole in the middle of the roof, in the middle of the room. To the right was a table, and up against the left wall a bed, a short red haired figure - Lorcan - sitting in it, looking somewhat tense. His swordstaff was resting up against the end of the bunk bed furthest away from the door, not visible to anyone entering.
Dervish sat in a chair next to the window opposite the door, looking at anyone entering the house. He'd told Lorcan to have his swordstaff ready just in case, and his own daggers were in their belt around his waist as usual. Although Lorcan had been unhappy about "The 'Stryfes" arriving at their house, he'd accepted it quickly enough, and they were now ready to see what would come. Hopefully it was good.

Dervish was nervous, but did his best to contain himself. He wanted to play with his knife, but this was serious, and no time to let old habits and odd ticks give a bad impression. He didn't like this situation, it was outside of his control, and his instincts told him to get away from a situation and people like this, he'd bad experiences with authority. No matter, he had brought this upon him and Lorcan, and it had to work out for the best. Still, he was worried, for the guard he had talked to did not sound as though the people coming to visit were up to anything... Good.
Last edited by Dervish on February 6th, 2011, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dervish
Finding a Future

Words: 30403
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 3:01 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Lorcan on February 6th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Lorcan didn’t like this, he didn’t like this at all… The stryfes entering their house! This was not good… What wat Dervish thinking, inviting them into their house… “Their house? My house!” he thought, “Sure Derv was his brother and anything, or well adoptive, but still, he’d bought this house on his own.”. He looked down to the ground, while sitting on his bed. He was nervous, he was sweating, he was terrified, but he knew Dervish needed this job, but he didn’t like the fact that they came into his house at all. After all… one word against rhysol… best case scenario? They were sold as slaves, worst case? He didn’t even want to think of the things they could do.
He’d asked why Dervish had invited them, to which he had gotten a confusing reply about “Them wanting to meet the important things in his life” Which obviously included Lorcan. Were they going to make Dervish kill him to show his devotion to Rhysol? Was that their test or something? So many thoughts flowing through his head, but the one constant in the chaotic mess in his mind was the fear, the fear that they were going to take away Dervish’ mind and soul. That they’d completely turn Dervish against Lorcan.
So yesterday, in preparation for a possible fight, he’d been practicing fighting with a swordstaff again, it wasn’t very convenient in confined spaces, but simple jabs would do the trick, he’d been imagining how to fight with his swordstaff. If only he’d have more time in his daily life to practice. In any case he had it ready as Dervish requested. Right beside him, but outside the line of sight of anyone that entered the door.
He sighed… he had accepted this and he was going to go through with it, for better or for worse he’d be there for his friend. So he sat there, wringing his hands looking down to the ground, on his bed. Eventually he turned his head towards Derv and said: ”When did you say they wou…”
He stopped midsentence because he heard footsteps outside… this was it, he breathed deep and tried to shape his face into a neutral expression. Trying to hide the fear within his eyes. He looked up to the door.
Last edited by Lorcan on February 9th, 2011, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lorcan
Player

Words: 35386
Joined roleplay: December 28th, 2010, 3:10 pm
Character sheet

Postby Seth on February 6th, 2011, 6:36 pm

The wait would be long, and the wait would be annoying. The guard at the front of the Vitrax hadn't said exactly when his contact would be there, so that meant Lorcan and Dervish would just have to wait around until he actually did show up. Eventually, rain would start to beat on the thatched roof of the little hut, a freezing rain that was mere degrees from being the snow that had dusted the streets earlier that day. Lorcan and Dervish would be familiar with how uncomfortable this could become, for soon enough, the shabby roof began to leak. So now they were sitting there in the cold, with rain dripping down on their heads. At least it wasn't completely pitch black outside. The lights of Ravok provided something of a gloomy glow during the night hours.

Suddenly, at a random hour of this wait, a knock sounded at the door. It might surprise them, for it was only one knock, and quick a light knock at that. Perhaps the two men had thought they were going to be greeted by a squad of big broad burly men, all decked out with greatswords and armor. No, this was one person. And if they listened closely enough, the person was actually rapping out a merry tune on the door. Was this for real?

"Is anyone hoooooome?"

The sing-song voice was creepy, to say the least. It held some sort of devious amusement, as if the owner was completely in on a joke that was about to be played on the two friends. It was the kind of voice that would send a shiver down your spine.

The door swung open, and a man stepped in, completely dressed in black. He was cloaked and hooded, a bit of water dripping off of his robes. Closing the door behind him, the man turned to face both Dervish and Lorcan, letting out a slight giggle, once again amused by that unspoken joke. "Hello there! How are ya doing? Dervish, right? And you... I haven't met ya." Two hands lifted up, pale white hands with long and bony fingers. They caught the edge of the hood, and tugged it down, a short mop of white hair spilling out. It was a pale and stretched face, with an equally stretched smile, a closed-lipped grin that reached from ear to ear. The white hair was long enough to fall over dark black eyes, one that somehow managed to gleam playfully even in the dimly lit room.

A finger lifted, and the man pointed at Lorcan, licking his lips as he did so. "Too bad you aren't applyin', handsome. Your name? I will even go first."

The grin stretched, if at all possible. The skin disguisting to look at, pulled skin tight over sharp and portruding jawbones.

"Lorin. Call me Lorin."
Seth
Retired Staff

Words: 100299
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Dervish on February 10th, 2011, 2:34 pm

As the rain started dripping, Dervish slowly started up a small fire from what little kindling they had lying around in the house. A few drops landed in his thick dark hair as he cradled over the fire, trying to ignite it and keep it dry from the falling water.

He and Lorcan didn't speak, there was not much to be said.

It would all be fine.. Dervish thought to himself, as he crouched next to the fire which was gasping for air and life, slowly growing and so far producing next to no heat. "When did you say the wou--" Lorcan began but broke off. A merry tune was suddenly being knocked on the door, and Dervish looked up in disbelief as a single blackclad man with an unsettling grin stepped through the door, speaking in a sing-song voice and disturbingly amused. His joy seemed misplaced in the miserable wet hut, and his ghastly grin held no friendliness.

Dervish got up, barely listening to the man's ramblings, he seemed less than serious.. Considering the situation that was scary in its own right. Derv rolled his shoulders once and turned towards the man, nodding politely;"Welcome .. Lorin. I am Dervish, and this is my brother Lorcan. I was told that he were to be present." Dervish answered him clearly, looking at the man warily. He did not at all enjoy his grin or his humour, he seemed fake. He even - looked - fake, as though he had taken on this grin and pulled it over whatever his real face was, hiding himself behind a smile. A smiling villain.
Dervish
Finding a Future

Character sheet

Postby Lorcan on February 12th, 2011, 12:40 pm

After Lorcan had broken off his sentence he didn't speak again... There was a stryfe in his house and he did not like this. It was almost like when he was at the forge... all of his thoughts were focused on a single thing, getting this stryfe out of his house and a good far end as well.
The light of the fire didn’t help much either, it gave the entire place a strange gloom the moment He entered, rather than the warm housey feeling it’d always had. Lorcan looked up as the man entered his house and examined him. His black clothing, his pale skin, his clawed hands. He seemed like a man who was capable of anything and everything. Everything about this man seemed fake, strange and out of place... The merry tunes, seeming happiness, the grin...
That grin gave him chills running up and down his spine like the last sparks of a dying flame. This man looked as if he'd been through hell and came back a puppet, causing Lorcan to seriously reconsider his approval of Dervish getting this job. About that there were still many doubts, but the 'no-way-in-hell' -side seemed to be gaining quite some ground.
He wanted to give Dervish an "I told you so"-look, but when he looked over to Dervish, he saw a few marks of doubt on his face. Or that's what Lorcan thought anyway, he wasn't sure. When he looked over he saw the man point at him... another couple of chills ran down his spine. He'd asked for his name... but first introduced himself as Lorin.
Lorcan. Was all he could bring himself to mutter. There was a slight tinge of fear in his voice, which the stryfe had probably noticed and was going to use against him somehow. On the other hand Lorcan assumed the stryfe probably knew he was a scary individual and this conformation wouldn’t change much of the situation.
In any case, all Lorcan could do right now was sit in his place, his expression contorted in an as neutral as possible look and keep wringing his hands until this shade of a man left his house and his life.
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Seth on February 21st, 2011, 5:26 am

"Brothers?" The creepy man moved deeper into the small house, slapping at little drops of rain that leaked through the patched roof and onto his long white hair. Another hand came up to smooth back the stark white bangs, and for a brief second, the brothers would catch a definite glimpse of glittering black eyes. They were filled with glee and mirth, and didn't really hint at any immediate danger. They simply gave off that creepy, odd kind of feeling. A twisting in your stomach that said something was bound to go wrong, or that something already had.

"Haha! How charming!" The man giggled quietly to himself, his cloak swishing around him as he moved. He would make the perfect shadow, if not for his pale skin and white hair. He quickly hopped up on the nearby table, and winced as it creaked painfully, bulging a bit even underneath the frail frame of Lorin. "Ah, perhaps I shouldn't sit here." With another one of those giddy chuckles, the man hopped back off the table, and resat himself right beside of Lorcan. "Do ya mind?" Again came another chuckle, and the man shrugged, flopping back to lean against the wall. Yawning a bit to himself, he stretched, the sound of popping bones echoing throughout the small little hut.

"So, tell me about yourselves, yeah? Apparently ya are looking to make a career out of the Stryfe, Dervish. And ya brother here... Is he looking to make a career out of it too? Two brothers would certainly provide the Stryfe with a lot of fun." For the third time in a minute, the man giggled, the high-pitched sound echoing out across the room. He seemed to be in a permanent state of morbid amusement. "And, when I say tell me about yourselves... I don't mean your past, or whatever. Tell me about you guys. What drives ya. What motivates ya." The man paused for a moment, then slightly turned his head, glittering eyes boring into Lorcan. "How do ya feel about your brother trying to get into the Stryfe?"

He paused, yawning again, cupping a hand over his mouth, then continued on. "Why are the two of ya here in Ravok? Why haven't you moved on? Some kinda attachment?"

OOCSorry it is a bit short, and took so long. It'll get better soon, promise! <3
Seth
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Dervish on March 14th, 2011, 10:19 pm

"Brothers of choice." Dervish coughed out, forcibly suppressing the uneasy feeling Lorin carried with him into the room. Dervish recognised some of himself in this man, when he was in an unstable mood, a sort of brooding energy beneath the surface, except Lorin seemed more in tune with his own personal chaos. Regardless, he had decided to make a good impression and convince this man of his worth.

Dervish started as he sat on the table, the damned piece of wood wasn't expencive but it was their only furniture! Dervish eyed the man with what was supposed to be a calm stare, but in truth seemed inspecting and scrutinizing if not outright threatening. His dirty hair shadowed his eyes again as he leaned forward attentively, though Lorin seemed completely caught up in himself and oblivious to whatever he and Lorcan did. Dervish cast a questioning glance at Lorcan as Lorin stretched himself causing a cracking noise, this was not exactly what he had expected...

Lorin suddenly started speaking, questions flying through the room. What drove him? Who he was? He'd thought they knew enough by now, but apparently not... Fine, he'd tell him, show him. Lies had never been something that he used often, not out of any sense of morals but because he didn't find it neccesary, Dervish had never felt moving around problems by lying about them served him, perhaps because he had never been that good at it. Dervish smiled at Lorin, and spoke in a voice first hesitant, but one that gained strength and pace as he continued: "I am driven by myself... I desire power, I desire wealth and I desire influence. I like change, and I enjoy chaos... I am not driven by idealism, I am driven by the reality that I face. Rhysol is a true god of power, and thus I will serve him." He held a pause and took a deep breath, then continued;"I, and we, are still in Ravok because it is our home. I know no other place, and I do not believe that those I have heard of would welcome me, or Lorcan." Dervish murmured, and smiled a hesitant smile as he looked over at Lorcan as he spoke of him.

Dervish leaned back, sighing slightly and looked at Lorcan awaiting his answer to Lorin's question. He seemed at least as unnerved by this stranger as he did himself...

OOCTruly sorry 'I' am so much more late with my post, I've simply lost the will to write it for a long while, and as a consequence of that forgotten. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store ! :]
Dervish
Finding a Future

Character sheet

Postby Lorcan on March 20th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Lorcan waited 'till Dervish was done talking. He had been looking at all this from his seat, following Lorin's every move and not feeling very good about it. It was his stomach mostly that was upset, though the chills rolling over his spine whenever Lorin moved weren't helping either. Eventually Dervish was finished and Lorin and Dervish both started staring at him. Lorcan stopped eying Lorin and breathed deep. It had been hard for him to speak because of Lorin's presence, it was a chaotic mockery of happiness. But Lorcan would persevere, for this is what Dervish really wanted. Not really sure what to speak about he knew one thing that was true, his work was what drove him, in fact he cared for little else, but was this what they... He, wanted to hear? In his mind he went "Well... here goes nothing"...
"I... am, driven by my work. I desire to be the greatest craftsman of all time, knowing a bit of everything..."
As he spoke Lorcan's pace became quicker, less staggered. His eyes moved further from the ground and over to Lorin's face, meeting his outright creepy gaze "I am a very disorganized man, except for when I craft and all the chaos in my mind comes to a halt and focuses on the same thing. Everything within me pulsates and I get a glimpse at true power, because you see... Destruction is easy, construction, or rather transformation is a lot harder." He realized he was talking about work too much and needed to talk about religion as well. He knew Dervish had been honest and he would be so as well, figuring it was useless to lie to this man. "I don't believe that Rhysol is the god for me, he may protect me... But I don't feel safe in his presence, I can't explain it properly.. I am however thankful to him for protecting me and this city. I just can't shake the feeling that there is a dark side to him and his followers. One that I'd rather not expose my brother to, but it is his will and I will support him in this." With that he finally took a deep breath and noticed he had stood up, standing provocativly with arms crossed over his chest. He immidiently sat back down and all the courage and adrenaline flowed out of his body. He was done... and getting scared of the consequences. He turned his head over to dervish, hoping to find some form of protection and absolution.
Lorcan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Seth on March 28th, 2011, 5:48 am

Lorin was surprisingly quiet as the two brothers took turns telling their tales. The deranged smile fell from his face, and his eyes narrowed, and one would get the feeling he was actually paying attention for once. This was a good sign. Even as they both got a little heated up telling their seperate tales, Lorin didn't move, nor flash any of them a creepy smile. Without the grin on his face, he seemed rather harmless, really. It was that smile that gave him that Aura of unease. Otherwise, he was just a nromal man. Perhaps a powerful one, though. How much did they really know about him? Apparently he had some connections... but if they thought about it, what proof did they have that he was even a part of the Ebonstryfe? But then again, he had been the one sent to evaluate Dervish. It was all very odd, and mysterious. Is this how they went about this kind of thing within the Ebonstryfe?

After they quieted, and waited for an appraisal of their passionate little speeches, Lorin still just stood there. He lifted a hand to softly tap at his lower lip, still in thought, then turned his head to face toward Lorcan.

"A noble goal. A hard worker can be a rather difficult thing to find sometimes. Do ya already have a job somewhere in the town? If ya don't, maybe I can hook ya up with somethin'? A hard worker like you... ya can be put to good use, for sure." There was a flash of a smile then, once again turning Lorin back into that creepy figure that they had already learned to depise. "And how good of ya to be so protective of yer brother. And don't be so nervous around me. I don't care how ya talk of Rhysol. Of course you would be nervous. He is the God of Chaos. It is only natural to be un-nerved when in the midst of chaos. But then again, perhaps the eye of the storm is the safest place to be." Lorin tossed Lorcan a wink, giggled briefly, and then turned to Dervish.

"And you... ya speak of pretty lofty goals there, Dervish. You are just looking to use the Ebonstryfe to further your own personal power?" Lorin's grin widened even further, and now, it was back to being stretched sickeningly far. "Just how far are ya really willing to go, Dervish?" He giggled, a high-pitched sound that screeched at their ears. It was the loudest one yet. He lifted a single long and bony-figure, and pointed it at Lorcan, tilting his head to the side with a look of glee flashing in his eyes.

"Your entrance exam consists of killing the one thing that holds you back. And him, with his only wish to let you go higher... well, he shouldn't have a problem with you stickin' a blade in his throat, should he?" Lorin giggled again, spreading his hands wide, as if stating the obvious. "After all, your brother only wants to help you, Dervish! Remove him from existance! That'll be the best help! You say you'll do anything, but what happens when push comes to shove?"

Lorin's giggles turned into laughter, and he leaned against the wall, his body shaking as he yelled out his glee. "Kill him, Dervish!"
Seth
Retired Staff

Office

Postby Dervish on May 25th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Dervish felt more composed after explaining himself, and though he didn't show it beyond not scowling, he felt content while Lorcan told his story. Lorcan had always been different from him, even in the most basic and fundamental ways. Dervish smiled abit as he pondered how two people so different - One destructive and one creative - happened to be chained together.

It was nice to see Lorcan get out there and not hesitate to speak his mind for once. Dervish sat up straight in his chair and looked awaitingly at Lorin as Lorcan finished. He suddenly seemed... Normal. The unease was gone - But for a moment. As the twisted smile reappeared on Lorins' face, he mocked them with spite and amusement. As he accused Dervish of only working for his personal gain, Dervish resisted the inclination to loudly deny his claims, and subdued his anger.

Lorins' loud squel made Dervish shudder; and his eyes widened in disbelief as he made his impossible request. At first he could not even understand what he had said, and was almost about to ask when Lorin repeated himself. He looked from Lorin to Lorcan, and for a moment there existed nothing but confusion and the pictures of a few childhood memories fluttering past his minds' eye like pages in a picturebook; Him and Lorcan running away from merchants. Lorcan and Dervish back to back in a street urchin fight. Lorcan and Dervish creeping together under a half-crumbled roof in the soaking rain.

Dervish slowly moved his right hand towards the hilt of his dagger, and grabbed it in a light and familiar touch, his thumb, index finger and middle finger taking a hold of the handle.
He tore it out in a sweeping motion, first to the side and then forward, releasing it with a snap of his wrist!

The dagger came flying towards the bed, the tip of the blade growing larger in Lorins' eyes as it neared his face. Unless he moved to the left, the dagger would embed itself with a dull thud in the wall, a considerably short distance away from his eye.

"I'll never betray my brother, not for gold, not for power, not for women and not for influence. A test of loyalty requiring me to betray Lorcan is empty; fulfilling that request only shows me as a traitor." Dervish hissed, and looked at Lorin with hatred in his eyes. He'd taken out his second dagger, and it lay safely in his left hand. His dark eyes seemed to flare under his long hair. Despite the obviously terrifying aura of Lorin he would not allow fear to overcome hm.
Dervish
Finding a Future

Character sheet

Next