Completed Arming Up [Wulfstan Outfitters South]

Rhyson makes some camping equipment purchases, and sets off for the NRO.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Arming Up [Wulfstan Outfitters South]

Postby Rhyson Halfhame on December 5th, 2017, 9:46 pm

1st of Winter, 517 AV
13th Bell

Give a regular Isur a tent, and he'll scoff at you. He might even laugh full-out in your sorry face. An Isur? Blessed of Izurdin,
using a tent? Not so, this Isur might protest, his voice layered thickly in a vain kind of offense. His holy arm would let him prove you wrong a hundred, nay,
a thousand-fold. He would take a tree, an entire tree and shape it to his desire, the bark bending like clay and a forming beautiful yet intricate support beam. This enterprising Isur, employing what his people would consider to be childish games, but to any outside of Sultros his manipulation would surely be baffling in its magical wonder. Taking earth, grass-filled, and shaping it over the support beam, creating a small hillock. Leaving an entrance open, and entering the building itself to perform the finishing touches on his impromptu home. A normal Isur would never need to stoop to purchasing or even accepting the gift of a tent. It just wouldn't suit them. Of course, I'm not a normal Isur.
Rhyson thought, stepping off the ferry from Ravok proper and onto the Lakeshore.

Rhyson's knife, a good Cold Iron dagger, glinted in the midday sun where the light shone in the gap of his coat. He walked off the quay, having paid his fare when he boarded the vessel in the City, and went in search of a place to purchase the necessary camping supplies. With Rhyson's pack slung over his shoulder, he traipsed from building to building, becoming acquainted with his surroundings. He had double, and triple-checked that he had all of his necessary possessions. That meant almost everything he owned; the clothes on his back, his waterskin, pipe, and knife sheath all of which hung at his belt, and all of the toiletries and rations that he could cram into his backpack. His youthful past had led to him storing his Mizas in a... discrete location. Could never be too careful with a man's coin, Rhyson figured.

Rhyson sidled up to a signpost and nodded to himself. He followed the directions of given there and hiked up the hillside to where he would find Wulfstan Outfitters waiting for an enterprising amputee such as himself. Maybe they'd even cut him a deal, given he would need to spend twice as long hitching the tent. That thought made Rhyson chuckle, and he continued walking.

Rhyson had worked up a light sweat from the walking, and it was getting on towards 13th Bell, but he'd made it. Letting his pack slide off his shoulder and thump gently to the ground, Rhsyon leaned against the cabin's porch, on one of the supporting beams, and pulled out his pipe. He brought it to his lips, and then dug his fingers into his pipeweed pouch, and then his shoulders sank. A frown fell over him like a Zith in heat, and he replaced his pipe on his belt and chewed his lip in irritation. Rhyson realized it was possible that this fine establishment he had found himself in might have pipeweed, and half-stumbled up onto the porch before remembering his pack. Feeling stupid, he snatched it up and burst through the front door, single hand on the door handle as he scanned the room.

Nothing caught his attention in particular, and Rhyson relaxed. He noticed a pile of containers in the middle of the room, evidently to be used to gather one's purchases. And so Rhyson did just that, but not without a slight amount of difficulty. Granted his only arm was quite muscular, as much as might be expected of a brawny human, but it was still nowhere near as strong as an Isurian's holy arm would be. He managed to heft the barrel he chose and bring it around to the back of the room. There he found a nicely compacted tent, tarp, and a couple thick blankets. He dropped the lot into his barrel and then scratched at his chin contemplatively. He didn't expect he'd be doing too much in the dead of night, not for a while at least. Rhyson would've bet a horse that the Northern Ravokian Outpost was practically filled to the brim with Ebonstryfe. He had no intentions of being anywhere other than his tent, when not out on a job. And he tended to sleep like a rock anyway. All that taken into consideration, the Isur pursed his lips and dropped six torches into the barrel. He'd want light on his way there at least, and better to be prepared and not need it, than to need it and not have prepared.

His barrel satisfactorily filled with the items that Rhyson would need at the Outpost, he turned about and looked around for the proprietor of the place, most likely a Wulfstan, or so the name suggested.

"Is there somebody here I can pay? And do you have any pipeweed?
I'm an advocate of Dark Ba'Tae myself, but I'll take a few ounces of that, plus a couple more ounces of your cheap varieties. Can never have enough of the petchin' stuff, especially seeing as I doubt I'll be coming across any of the good stuff when I leave town."
Rhyson called, lugging his barrel back towards the middle of the room. He could already anticipate the odd looks, the apprehension when this person realized he was, yes in fact, a one-armed Isur. And no, it wasn't even an Isur's "good arm."

Makes no matter, I've got Rhysol to protect me. As long as I'm looking out for myself, he'll look out for me. I'm worth twice the value of those shiny-limbed shyke-shovers. I'm no ordinary Isur.
Last edited by Rhyson Halfhame on December 15th, 2017, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhyson Halfhame
Forgotten One

Words: 21152
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2017, 9:02 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on December 14th, 2017, 2:27 am

A man with brown hair and a scruffy appearance lifted his gaze towards the partially cracked door which lead into his store. Elbow deep in accounting reports and a new tariff that had something to do with a road, the slightly overwhelmed businessman was not thrilled at the grating tone which beckoned for his aid. Certainly, he should have kept his sister, Hannah, about to deal with customers. Her contributions to the business had been less than stellar at this point. Often, Rigel debated with himself if the venture was worth the loss of his help. Then again, his contacts in the Black Sun regularly prodded him to buy a slave or two. He scoffed a bit to himself. Petchin’ scoundrels probably have some kind of commission from the Slave Market- that’s why they push the issue.

Regardless, a shop keeper must tend his counter and so Rigel rose with a hustled ease. He moved with short strides to give the appearance of moving quicker than he actually was and rounded the desk then burst through the door with a very warm expression on his face. It was not excited or overzealous but had the right amount of ‘hi, how are ya?’ to sell his position in the store. Sharp eyes bounced over the gathered goods held within the barrel then to the rustic appearance of the man. Silvery veins, cold-looking skin, short, stout and missing an arm- not just an arm but his sacred arm! This man was an Isur and one who had obviously been through quite an ordeal. Rigel’s business sense was always to show no emotions that could give a customer suspicion; fear, anger, disgust and surprise- but it was too late. His tired eyes went wide and left no course but to follow through with the nagging question.

“Sir, do you intend to keep the barrel?” Rigel’s mouth start to push out the ultimate inquiry but the savvy man redirected his thoughts to a better use of words. “Your weeds will be sold over at the Bazaar. One of those booths will surely have some smoke for your pipe.” More than a bit intrigued, Rigel leaned over the counter a bit. “It’s four gold Mizas without the barrel, stranger.” He lifted an eyebrow to give his face a bit of dramatic flair. “You wouldn’t be heading north, would you?”

Boxcode credit: Karin Ironyach.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rhyson Halfhame on December 14th, 2017, 8:43 am

1st of Winter, 518 AV

Rhyson looked up from the counter's contents and into the face of, presumably, Wulfstan. The man looked much the way other shop keepers Rhyson had encountered did; he had all the veneer of the glad-handing merchant wiped clean off his face, or perhaps stripped away by the abrasive nature of his own appearance. Rhyson was used to the reaction by now, and he simply waited patiently as the shopkeep finished talking.

"Shyke, I think I passed the Bazaar on my way here. Yes, I intend to keep the barrel, unless you can give me anything more practical with which to carry these goods? And because you seem like a reasonable chap, even if I can tell you're dying to ask how an Isur lost his arm, I'll inform you that yes, I do indeed intend to head north."

Rhyson stretched his arm, and rolled his shoulders tiredly. He'd been hoping to catch the caravan north today, but given this unexpected delay, he might not be able to make it there until the next one came through. Of course, he wasn't entirely sure what would be waiting for him once he got there, so maybe that was a good thing? Gods damn him, Rhyson hadn't a clue. For the moment, the Isur's mind turned to things more practical.

How am I going to carry all this shyke around? The tent could be bound to his pack, but he couldn't do the same with the tarps, blankets, and torches. Rhyson left his barrel at the counter and retrieved his pack, bringing it over to set it down next to the barrel. He took out his rations, the toiletries, and then took the blankets and began to roll them. As he did so, he grunted in Wulfstan's direction.

"Guess you're not the type who smokes, huh? Damn shame, that. I'd have paid triple for just an ounce of the good stuff. I can't afford to wander about looking for the Bazaar. The caravan I'm taking to the Outpost won't wait that long."

Rhyson bit his lip unhappily, having managed to fold his blankets down to near nothing, but dreading what came next. The Isur didn't set out to end up dirty, but it just ended up happening anyway. He reluctantly took the torches and wrapped them in the blankets. He had more cause to keep the rations and the toiletries clean than he did his own blankets. Of course, the blankets would be more flammable, but Rhysol protect him, he'd either have them washed or end up with a (mostly) free cremation. That got a rise out of him, chest rumbling as he packed, and then crushed the last of his rations into the pack. With one hand, as ever, Rhyson tied the pack closed, having to bite the knot with his teeth, tasting charcoal and oil along with whatever other foul shyke torches used to burn as bright as they did.

Rhyson stood up, all his goods in order, and then stepped out of the store for a moment, holding up his hand to ward off any suspicions Wulfstan might have had about the Isur wanting to rob him. After all, he'd left his pack at the counter. Rhyson spat, most of the taste leaving his mouth in a splendid arc as his globule of spit flew to hit the ground beyond the porch with a small puff of dust. Rhysol's hands, but that tasted foul. He also took the opportunity, as he was facing away from the shopkeep and nobody seemed to be outside at the moment, to retrieve his purse.

That got more parts of him dirty, and Rhyson felt almost as black as his body now was...

Taking a deep breath, Rhyson stood himself in front of the counter, and poured out four golden Mizas with a practiced hand. He'd long ago learned to dispense money this way, and could perform a similar technique to collect change, using his forearm to pour coins into the waiting purse. In some ways having one arm was a massive inconvenience. In other ways, the loss allowed him to perfect things that other people might never have even thought to try.

Rhyson met Wulfstan's eyes, and allowed himself a small smile, more for himself than the shopkeep. "You can forget about the barrel, seems I'll manage just fine with my purchases. On the other hand," Rhyson's smile grew as he said that, "I will reiterate that my purse is open to any weed that might come into view, and barring that, I am interested in what business you have up at the Outpost. Do you know of anybody whom I could work for there? I'm looking to earn some tidy coin for my own piece of labour there, maybe even make some connections with folks doing business there."

Rhyson didn't have a free hand, but if he had, he'd have been crossing his fingers with it. It seemed that a simple business transaction had turned into a potential business opportunity. And that was not something Rhyson could stand to ignore.
Rhyson Halfhame
Forgotten One

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Prophet on December 14th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Rigel watched and listened. Long ago, he had been taught the art of paying attention. The one-armed Isur seemed to be rather comfortable with his state of life and being which was bordering upon fascinating. The shop keeper was all but impressed in the way that the man packed up everything and managed the equipment. A brief nod of approval even finagled its way out of the tense neck muscles of the Wulfstan.

Rigel scratched his chin as he sorted through a file of information in his mind. “The name’s Rigel Wulfstan. I have a business partner at the Outpost by the name of Hannah.” His hands began fumbling for something under the counter. “I have a letter for her somewhere…” His eyes dropped down to aid in the search that his hands had begun. “I’ll know if it’s been opened, my good man but I’ll also know if it arrives safely.” With a triumphant expression, he revealed the envelope then went about setting it into a leather pouch and tying it shut. He held the thing out but not more than a few inches from his body. The crisp eyes set upon the customer once more. “Both of my stores offer discounts to the men and women of the Ebonstryfe. We’re good friends with many of their soldiers and officers. I advise you to carefully consider if this is a job you wish to undertake.” He waved the parcel back and forth for a few ticks before continuing on with his speech.

“I’m a busy man, you see, and I can’t be bothered with errands and the like. Do this delivery and my partner will pay you five gold for it.” Rigel leaned completely against his counter and pushed the parcel closer to Rhyson. “If you’re lucky, an association with Hannah and myself might fetch you some more side jobs with the folk up there at the Outpost.” Rigel paused a moment as if to recant his offer. He didn’t know this man nor should he have any reason to trust him with business affairs. His father’s voice clicked through his mind You have to trust people now and again…even if it bites you in the arse once in a while. Just make sure you have a dog with bigger teeth to bite back. Rigel smiled and held out the letter satchel. Should Rhyson take the pack, the keep would give a nod and return to his office. If not, he’d watch the man leave then return to his affairs.

Boxcode credit: Karin Ironyach.
Prophet
Cannibal of Faith

Words: 816271
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2016, 5:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Rhyson Halfhame on December 15th, 2017, 8:11 am

1st of Winter, 518 AV

"Well-met, Rigel Wulfstan." Rhyson said amiably, though the man's name dropping of the Ebonstryfe had stuck out like a sore thumb. If it was a threat, it was a very unsubtle one. Rhyson figured the man was just mentioning it matter-of-factly, and possibly because in offering a delivery job to an unknown element like Rhyson...

Well, if there was anything that Halfhame could understand, it was covering all your bases. He nodded decisively, taking the envelope in his hand and saluting the shopkeep with it, letting a real smile break the surface. It would be good to have a change of scenery, and maybe while he was out in the wilderness, something akin to peace would begin to resolve itself. At the very least, his instincts had been dead-on about a business opportunity. He took one last moment to throw the satchel around his neck, where he was certain it would bounce and jostle in a rather irritating fashion as he walked. Still, it was the most sensible option for his precious cargo. With that, he shouldered his pack, now considerably heavier than before, picked up the roll of canvas, and said his farewell.

As Rhyson set out down the rise away from Wulfstan Outfitters, he wondered when he'd next cross paths with Rigel. He supposed if everything worked out well, he'd owe the man a drink next time he passed through. It was the least a man could do to return a favour. With that business done however, it was high time for Rhyson to track down his caravan's staging area, before it left without him.

It had been several bells from when Rhyson had departed Wulfstan Outfitters when they finally set out, and Rhyson could still hear the caravan leader cursing himself red in the face over his airheaded son who'd gotten himself lost in the Bazaar. It had been this twist of fate that had given Rhyson both the time and the opportunity to make good on his desire to stock up on pipeweed. Just as he'd asked for at Wulfstan's, he'd procured some of the Dark Ba'tae, and an assortment of cheap varieties for the road. Now Rhyson sat in the back of one of the wagons, with his pack lying between his feet and Rigel's satchel at his side, and he took a long relaxing pull of the Dark stuff, turning his head to exhale a long cloud of bluish-purple smoke out into the wind. Rhyson watched the sun sinking low into the sky, and whistled faintly at the colours the sky changed into.

That was a sight worthy of praising Rhysol. And it reminded Rhyson, that whether an Isur had both arms, or just the one, both were equally capable of enjoying the simple beauty of the setting sun. The future awaits me. A future of my own making. Rhysol's own arm will help me where no Isurian Holy Arm ever could. Because it's not something I can lose, and nobody could ever take it away from me. Nobody could ever... Ever sever me... From... Rhysol...

In the midst of prayer, smoking, and admiring the sunset, Rhyson fell into a gentle lull of half-waking sleep. He felt at peace. It was probably just the Ba'tae, but he would take what he could get.

Item Cost
Tent, 1 Person -2GM
Canvas, 3 sq. yds. -6SM
Winter Blanket, 2 -10SM
Torch, 6 -12CM
Dark Ba'tae, 2 oz. -4SM
Kline, 2 oz. -10CM
Sywart, 2 oz. -10CM
Vayt's Ruse, 2 oz. -10CM
Tevino, 2 oz. -10CM
Total Expense -4GM, 52 CM
Rhyson Halfhame
Forgotten One

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rook on April 5th, 2018, 3:15 am

Your grades are here!

Rhyson Halfhame

Skills
*+1 Endurance
*+1 Observation
*+1 Socialization
*+1 Persuasion

Lores
*Rhyson: One Arm, All Attitude
*The Smartest Place to Keep Your Coin...
*Organizing Your Purchases To Make Them Possible to Carry

Rewards & Penalties
*No rewards or penalities, other than the items you bought and the money you spent!

This thread was tons of fun to read and grade! Great job, I’ll be keeping an eye on Rhyson in the future. Don't forget to edit/delete your grading request in the queue, and PM me if you have any questions or concerns!
ImageImage Elias Caldera
Rook
Ever Watchful

Words: 120230
Joined roleplay: January 14th, 2018, 4:26 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)