Just an Idea: Original Mizaharian Armor and Weapons?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on December 8th, 2017, 2:54 am

This may seem far-fetched, but I've been thinking of Mizahar having its own original weapons and armor besides the standards swords and bows that we all use?

Each domain should have its own set of unique armor and weapons like the Greeks and Romans did during their time periods? This is just a random thought, but since Mizahar has its own cool set of magic- why not compliment it with weapons and armor?

I know that you can make cool magical weapons with Magecrafting, but I'm talking about generality of different types of swords and bows- this last but might seem confusing (even to me) so if this seems like a cool idea to you guys we can work together and figure something out?

However, this seems a bit far-fetched, but I just want to hear your criticism of my ideas... because I'm just crazy and want to know what you all think...
Care to help out, leave a response?

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

"I see skies of blue. Red roses too. I will always love you."

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Words: 118181
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 8th, 2017, 3:40 pm

I find it hard to think of ORIGINAL weapons etc. If your talking just renaming current known weapons.... okay..... no thanks.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on December 8th, 2017, 3:55 pm

As I explained earlier, a bit far fetched, but I didn't expect it to get shut out. Oh well...

Thanks for the input Goss! :)

SPEECH

|| "Pavi." || Pavi Sign. || "Other Speaking 1." || My Speech 1." || My Thoughts || "Common." ||

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 9th, 2017, 2:31 am

I didn't shut you down. I asked for clarification. Many races already have unique weapons like the Konti and the Akalak. So what sort of unique things?
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on December 9th, 2017, 2:48 am

Oh... sorry I just took it the opposite way. *sigh of relief*

So as I thought about it, Syliras could have it's own unique ores, ones that can be forged into weapons that eventually do not rust and the like? However, since they're Syliran weapons they need to get trained with consistently to keep the blades sharp and in tact. Since this is fantasy, we could possibly make an ore like this or something?

Also since the Inarta like to craft bows their bows should contain of the wood from the Inarta homeland, and same goes with any other different kinds of weapons that they make...

Overall there should be different ores and wood that makes each weapon crafted unique. However, if you want to improve the weapon builds, you can always enchant them. With those enchantments, there will need more ingredients and equipment to increase these unique weapons. Also there would need to be special requirements perhaps since the ores and wood would be unique material and would be rare. So Magecrafters can earn extra money by just simply enchanting these rarely made weapons. Except, big corporal cities like Syliras, the rare weapons there aren't as rare as they would be from Wind Reach?

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 9th, 2017, 4:35 am

So as I thought about it, Syliras could have it's own unique ores, ones that can be forged into weapons that eventually do not rust and the like? However, since they're Syliran weapons they need to get trained with consistently to keep the blades sharp and in tact. Since this is fantasy, we could possibly make an ore like this or something?

These days we just don't dump new things into the game. We develop them through RP so NO NEW ORES unless its something rp'd out. Plus Syliras is closed.

So any of these new 'techniques' on MC should be done in game.. .which is more than fine... I just don't want lists of new things... dumped in the game. I just recently read the riot act to a new staffer because an orchard large enough to manifest a new industry showed up in a city... and I was a little taken aback. We don't do things like... make the cities more uniformly the same... like say adding Greenhouses to Avanthal so they can have bananas etc.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on December 9th, 2017, 5:03 am

I get what you're saying... and it doesn't have to be just revolved around Syliras that was just an example. If these ores and magical weapons and minerals can be rpd in game... it makes sense to put it that way through development.

This doesn't have to be something that's instant, this can be developed as we go along and such...

Since I play in Endrykas something like this can be discovered there right? If I'm not mistaken there can be Drykas who like to explore ruins and such, If I recall... wasn't there some sort of ruins in Endrykas?

Though, I can easily be mistaken...

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hurik on December 11th, 2017, 10:50 am

Ramona Silvertongue wrote:I've been thinking of Mizahar having its own original weapons and armor besides the standards swords and bows that we all use?

Not sure if you'd like my two cents but...

Well here I go.

There's a very good reason why bows and swords are the standard. Coming up with an entirely new weapon type would be very difficult, especially considering that it would be even more difficult to invent a new weapon type that a different pre-existing weapon type doesn't already cover.

A brief look at the dominance of the Bow in pre-history and its continued prominence up until the rise of gunpowder (and even maintaining some usage then!) clearly demonstrates that insofar as a tool and a weapon, the bow is without equal. Similarly, you can look at every world culture that develops bronze technology and beyond, and they universally produce some form of sword as their principle weapon.

Now admittedly I am not an expert, more of a geek/fan of Martial Arts, but that being said, you'd have a hard time convincing me in a setting that retains the basic laws of physics and rules of reality such as Mizahar, that there is a necessity for crazy unrealistic fantasy weapons. If you're craving variety, there are dozens of other weapon types, (though none are as versatile as the bow/sword) and you could definitely have fun with an axe, a flail, or maybe a good short spear?

I guess in essence what I'm trying to say is that any practical new weapon type you could invent would require the use of magic, and that seems redundant to me, to use your magic to wield a weapon instead of just... Using magic. Of course something like Flux you could probably make an argument for, but more than anything else I would implore you to seek variety and nuance in the sword and the bow. Particularly in terms of swords, several delightful, practical and historical variations include the Falchion, Khopesh, and Urumi. That's just a few places to start too, trust me when I say that the sword is far from a basic weapon.

So yeah, not quite sure if that was helpful, or even needed, but maybe I did a good thing? Maybe?

-K

All credit goes to the amazing Arisia!
Hurik
Shade of a Silver-Tongued Bastard

Words: 59376
Joined roleplay: January 30th, 2017, 8:47 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Gossamer on December 11th, 2017, 11:12 am

^ Very very well said.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ramona Silvertongue on December 11th, 2017, 3:12 pm

These two-cents are quite alright Hurik.

I do agree with keeping the realism with Mizahar. However, since this is still a world that's in development, we've been adding more fauna and what not.

Even though we have the standard weapons, these weapons would be like the standard weapons, but made with different materials.

Since the standard sword is made from the standard iron or steel. We could just have a weapon made from the newly made minearls and or wood. However, these weapons made from the new ore or wood would have its own advantages, and disadvantages.

Hopefully this explanation have made more sense? I'm not trying to create new weapons, just newish weapons from newly created materials? Does that make sense? If this doesn't seem to applicable I understand. Just thought that it would be cool to have new ores and tree families in Mizahar since we've made new fauna and other stuff. :)

SPEECH

Ramona Silvertongue
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Next