Solo Preparing a Meal

Clyde goes out to make preperations for a dinner.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Preparing a Meal

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 16th, 2017, 5:34 pm

1 Winter 517

Stepping up to a Ravasolaman in the canal outside his house, Clyde asked a question. “Do you know of a good place to hold a dinner?”

A few days before Clyde had pondered his position, along with his need to stretch out once more into the unfamiliar. He needed a new apprentice, someone knew to take under his wing and in exchange gain what he could in the short and long term from said relationship. However it wasn't so easy to converse and get to know new people, let alone mages. A mage dinner party thus came to his mind, and seemed a feasible method of doing so.

It was of course in his own best interest, perhaps giving him a chance to scope out a new apprentice or if nothing else to get to know the other mages of the city (i.e. the competition).

In his experience the Ravasolamen knew the city quite well, and seemed a simple enough first place to ask for such straightforward information.

The Ravasolman seemed to internally ponder his words for a moment before responding. "Tarsin's is a nice place, I've known people to rent out a balcony or such an area with a nice view to hold a dinner, if they've not the facilities themselves. Most just know it for the rooms to stay in, but it also is known to serve clientele in other ways."

Clyde nodded at the words, mulling them over. He didn't know of any other place to hold such a dinner, and while as the man said he'd not known Tarsin's did such a thing it did sound suitable.

“Alright then, take me there. I'll probably be needing to go to a few other places, so if you'll wait outside till I'm done I'll continue on after with you.”

The Ravasolaman nodded, waiting till Clyde was settled before poling off the canal wall and pushing along though the city to the aforementioned place.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Preparing a Meal

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 17th, 2017, 12:24 am

Hopping out of the Ravasola, Clyde's first stop of the day was Tarsin's. Heading inside, Clyde thought back to when he'd first arrived in Ravok. He was fairly certain he'd rented a place at Tarsin's for awhile when he first came to Ravok, before he'd joined the Ebonstryfe and became a citizen. Also before he'd had his house built, which superseded the need to rent a place.

Back then he'd been a student at the IHL, and eventually had become an apprentice under the Ebonstryfe. That all however had been years ago. Before he'd become a Wizard on Sahova, before he'd gone to Mura and fetched the wood that would become Cha, before said would had been prepared and eventually Magecrafted into her current state. Clutching the length of wood in his grip as usual, Clyde let his mind flow backward as he calmly breathed for several moments.

After he was done reminiscing Clyde headed inside, finding the somewhat familiar owner who was also who he'd long ago rented a room from. Last he'd seen the man he wasn't a member of the Ebonstryfe, or as well off as he currently was.

“Mr. Tarsin. Clyde, Clyde Sullins. I rented a room here long ago, back before I joined the Ebonstryfe.”

While not exactly a subtle dropping of the fact of his current position, Clyde wasn't one for subtlety. He also wasn't averse to throwing his weight around, and to making his status and position clear. Being subtle, Clyde supposed, was only needed if one couldn't gain what they wanted by the honest nature of the situation. That was something that didn't happen too often for Clyde, at least in Ravok.

"Mr. Sullins, yes, nice to see you again. Are you wanting to... Rent a room?"

Clyde paused for a moment, meeting the mans eyes before continuing.

“Sort of. Not a room to stay in mind you, but I hear you sometimes rent out nice spaces for dinners and parties and things? I was hoping to rent out a room with a nice view in the upcoming season, though it would need to be when I'm not on duty. Definitely the first half of the season.”

Now that it was clear that negotiations began, the business owner launched into the conversation with a bit more gusto, asking clarifying questions and showing his own skill in making a deal.

"Well, such short notice does make it difficult, but I'm sure I could find something for you as a personal favor for a member of the Ebonstryfe. Do you know how large of a party you are expecting? Will there be food? Dancing? Do you have a caterer?"

Clyde paused, not having considered such things, having to consider before responding.

“Mmm.... I'm unsure how many will come, I'm not expecting more than a dozen though, possibly less, perhaps possibly more but that seems unlikely. I've not nailed down the guest list so to speak, so I was hoping to find a spot first. But likely no more than a dozen. I'd say aim for ten people coming, perhaps with a bit extra food in case more come.”

“As for food, I do plan to have food but haven't worked out a caterer. Perhaps a musician, but no dancing or such. Just something in the background, but nothing to drown out the conversation. And no drinking of alcohol, just food and non-alcoholic beverages.”

Tarsin considered things, sending one of his children to run and fetch a book and to look through it for information. After several chimes he'd found what he was looking for, and turned once more to meet Clyde's gaze.

"Well, we do have a nice balcony you could use, which we can set up with tables and chairs and such. Its got a view overlooking a large central canal. It can sit perhaps ten to fifteen at the most, though not all facing the canal. Lets see, its next free... On the 4th. Are you looking to do it that soon? The going rate for the balcony is 45 gm for the night."

"And if you don't have a caterer in mind, might I suggest the Malt House? We've done some arrangements before, and they should be able to get the food and servers for you. Just mention it'll be held here. And perhaps, since you said no alcohol, I'd suggest asking them if they could get some tea and deserts from Café Fleurs?"

Pondering once more, Clyde simply nodded to the price and recommendations. He assumed the man probably got some kind of payment or commission for referring him to the business, but he also knew that he wouldn't indicate the business if it wasn't relatively good.

“The 4th. I'll come back and check the balcony over later, but I'm sure it will be acceptable. I'll go check The Malt House.”

Done with the first bit of the dealing, having nailed down a date and venue, Clyde headed back out to the Ravasola to deal with the food.
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Preparing a Meal

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 17th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Leaving the Ravasola once more, Clyde headed into his next stop at the Malt House.

It being early in the day the business wasn't yet busy, and only a small sprinkling of men sat about at tables drinking or eating a small late morning meal. Once he got the attention of one of the barmen Clyde asked to speak to the owner, and shortly was sitting at a quiet table off to the side with said owner.

"Grayson Falkes. What can I do for you Mr...."

A serious face on Clyde tapped Cha once, gazing deeply into the mans eyes as he responded. Less familiar with the man, and unsure how much he could be trusted, Clyde waited no time before throwing his considerable weight around in terms of negotiating power even more so than he had at the last place.

“Commander. Commander Sullins. Though I'm not here related to my duties. I'm holding a dinner, and after talking to Mr. Tarsin and arranging a venue he recommended you to provide the food and such.”

At first a bit of fear had come into his eyes, but soon enough as Clyde began to speak business and mentioned Tarsin's he brightened and began to nod along to Clyde's words.

“Its to be held the night of the 4th, a dinner party. I'm estimating around ten people, though perhaps more. No alcohol. Perhaps other drinks and things instead. Tarsin said perhaps some drinks and deserts from Café Fleurs. Music, but not so as to disrupt conversation. No dancing, just as a background.”

The man nodded along as Clyde spoke, noting each thing he said.

"Yes, I could arrange that, though on such short notice it will be difficult... But for a member of the Ebonstryfe, I'm sure I could get it done."

It seemed if nothing else the men he'd seen so far this night were willing to put in a bit of extra effort, or at least to make it seem they were if they thought it meant they'd be in the good graces of a member of the Stryfe.

"We can make the food for the main courses, and get teas and deserts from the Café For a full banquet style meal for each, it'll cost about 10 gm per person if we know in advance. More if we need to add others at the last minute. For ten people it'll come to 100 gm, and for each person over that another 15 gm as we'll need to rush the cooking and run it over."

"I have some men who can do the serving, they'll be 5 gm each. I'd say we'll need at least 2, working earlier in the day to prepare and move things, and once the meal starts to serve and such. As for music... If she won't be singing, I do know a harpist who could do it for 15 gm for the night."

Clyde didn't nod along as the man spoke, instead mentally considering his words and doing some short sums in his head. 10 gm for the food, at 10 people being 100 gm. 2 servers at 5 gm each, coming to another 10 gm. Plus the musician for 15 gm. Totaling 125 gm for food, service, and music. The balcony was another 45 gm, which brought it up to 170 gm, assuming no more than 10 people came. Along with the cost of getting the word out. Not cheap, but all told not a considerable bit of money in respect to what he made.

“That will do. But I'll personally be holding you responsible for the quality of the services and food provided. Bear that in mind.”

Grayson nodded, a nervous smile on his lips. "Of course, I'll make sure everything is up to your exacting standards and expectations."
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Preparing a Meal

Postby Clyde Sullins on December 17th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Having worked out the venue, food, music, and servers, all that was left was to get the word out.

As he headed back to the Ravasolaman, Clyde considered several methods. He could pay someone to make up and hand out flyers, or a crier to shout out the announcement... But those methods just didn't seem Clyde's style or in keeping with Ravok. He didn't want just anyone coming, and he was by his nature secretive.

"Done with your trip today Mister Sullins, or do you have another stop?"

Clyde looked up as he stepped into the water craft, eying the man with his long pole ready to push off. He hadn't mentioned his name to the man, but Clyde was somewhat known within the city and had used Ravasolaman to spread rumors and arrange things before. He supposed since he'd picked him up exiting his house, and his known status in the city, this particular one had known who Clyde was.

The previous time he'd used the Ravasolman was when he'd been spreading a rumor in search of a new apprentice. It seemed more fitting of a method than the others.

Plus, rumors and Ravasolaman just seemed so much more of a Clyde-ish and Ravokian way of getting word out.

“Yes, I'm ready to head home, all the arrangements are made. But, I still need to get word out on the dinner party. Do you suppose you and your brethren could do that for me?”

The Ravasolaman smiled, nodding his head at the request.

"I'm sure with a bit of coin to spread around to the others, we could get word out. Most everyone in the city rides in a given day, we see a lot of people and go almost everywhere. Perhaps... 100 gold mizas? And what are the details of the party?"

As most everyone today Clyde had met, the Ravasolaman was a keen negotiator. However, so was Clyde, and unlike the other things with somewhat set prices and costs this was pure haggling in its finest. There was no true cost for the task, particularly since they'd be doing it while they did their normal job.

“100? Please, I could hire a few dozen men for that much, and have them comb the city twice over. 25. As for the party, it will be a dinner party held on the night of the 4th, starting just before dark. At Tarsin's, the first place we visited. Food and talking, no dancing. A mage dinner party, only magic users are invited.”

Cringing somewhat theatrically, the Ravasolaman shook his head.

"Well, with it being so soon, and specific to mages... It'll be more difficult than normal. Perhaps it could be managed for 75..."

A smile on his face, Clyde countered, starting to enjoy himself in the negotiation.

“50. Half up front, the other half after the party if a suitable number of guests show up.”

Offering a hand to shake on the deal, the man nodded to Clyde. "It'll be tricky, but I think it can be done. 50, half now and half after."

With that the two shook on the deal, and the Ravasolaman dropped Clyde off at home having finished the needed preparations for his impromptu dinner.

Costs :
-Food- Banquet- 10 gm/person- X 10(minimum)= 100 gm. (15 gm/person if over 10 guests)
-Servers- 5 gm/person- X 2= 10 gm (loosely based on competent barmaid(male per location) at 1-2 gm base with some mark up)
-Musician- Harpist- 15 gm- (based on expert performer at 4 gm base with some mark up)
-Balcony/venue rental- 45 gm
-Ravasolaman rumor- 50 gm

Total Cost- 220 gm
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)