Closed [Job Thread] The Other Carpenter

Garland gets a job, that petching bum

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Job Thread] The Other Carpenter

Postby Garland on December 24th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Winter 14th

Garland was a fine specimen of a man, at least in terms of physicality and prowess in combat, he is by no means a perfect fighter, there are plenty of others that could trounce him in open combat, but he was still fairly decent.

His skill with the blade is nearly unmatched in Syliras, only the highest ranking veterans could beat him, he had never met Myrian before, but a race that lives for battle, for bloodlust and eating the flesh of their opponents is both terrifying and interesting.

Of course his skills would be well sought after in the right places, a hired guard, a mercenary, or even a fighter, but around here in Syka, where there are no people to fight besides the flora and fauna, an opponent Garland isn't very well accustomed to, there was little need for his skill.

He thumbed the necklace idol he had of Myri, he was not quite devout to the goddess of war yet, but he respected his friend's gift, wherever he may be. It seemed that his training here would be more maintenance on his skills rather than improving on them.

Still, he needed something to put food on the metaphorical table, he could go out hunting and foraging, but he had no clue what is edible here, or where to hunt or even what to hunt for that matter. He was a master of one type of skill: combat, but that's not quite useful now, is it?

Luckily for him, he wasn't all just sword and punching, he knew how to work wood, carving, smoothing, cutting and building... to some degree, he wasn't very good, his mentor in Syliras where he worked as a carpenter's assistant, taught him much, but not nearly enough to strike out on his own... Garland does remember making a few small wooden toys and a very shoddy looking dollhouse once.

Still, having some talent is one skill is better than no talent, he doubt he could learn how to hunt in this strange land, besides, he'd rather be close to the kids, and running off to the jungle would be terrible especially in Ilia's current mental state. Garland had no doubt in his mind that this little girl would be fine, but it would take time.

Garland wandered out of the tent he had set up as a temporary home, near the beach, it seemed the sound of waves helped the twins fall asleep.

"Ilia, Phobos, Aneka, come on, we're going to town and finding... what do they call them here? Town leaders or founders or whatever. Let's see if I can't earn us some coin for food." Garland said to the kids, the twins didn't really understand the concept of money and just heard food and nodded.

Garland walked through the town, asking the townsfolk about who to talk to. They directed him to a man by the name of Randal Zor, and he seems to be the resident carpenter, a skilled one at that.

This Randal was busy, shirtless in the sun, carrying lumber, setting up walls, smoothing wood and was busy building up the town, and by the looks of it, he needed some more manpower.

"Hello! Randal Zor, right? Name's Garland, looks like you're needing a bit of help." He said and helped him carry the bit of lumber Randal was carrying.

"Thanks, I do need a bit of help, you a builder?" He asked, placing the wood into a pile of materials.

"I know a bit, but not a lot, more a builder's apprentice that never quite finished..." He said and placed his own stack of wood in the pile.

"Huh... Well, grab some tools and materials and get building, I'll teach you if have any questions." He said and quickly got to work.

Garland followed suit, but told Ilia to go play near the swings where they saw Dina. The little girl protested, but Garland just smiled and said. "Don't worry, I'll be right here, dear." He said and kissed her cheek. "And keep Aneka and Phobos out of trouble, and keep your baby sister happy and fed, this should take more than a few bells."

Ilia nodded and walked off with the twins, before looking back a few times. Garland was already at work.
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

[Job Thread] The Other Carpenter

Postby Garland on January 21st, 2018, 8:51 am

Garland looked over to Ilia, she kept glancing back at him from the part, Garland gave a small smile and waved before going back to work.

He lifted the bamboo frame up, holding it steady while it fitted into place in the foundations, Garland had never worked on this type of wood before and wasn't quite sure how such a thin piece of lumber could hold up anything more than a small hut.

To be fair, they weren't building a lavish bamboo mansion, they were making a hut for the dozens of people coming in to Syka, a land unexplored, and unexploited, some looking for treasures, running off to the jungle and dying, others seeing the bigger picture, one day Syka would be a place of either export or a place where commerce was lush.

The thought helping build that future was enticing to Garland to say the least. He heard finger snaps in front of his face, waking him up from his daydream. "Hey, wake up and listen." Randal said and held up some medium sized bamboo poles,

"You never worked with bamboo before? What's your name?" Randal said, holding the piece of bamboo to Garland. "You can't just use it like oak or birch. The wood itself is tall and thin, but hardy when placed together with more bamboo."

"Wouldn't that have trouble with making the shapes of the houses? Not to mention the draft the gaps would leave." Garland replied, taking the piece of bamboo, feeling it in his hand, it felt... light, he wondered if it would even hold out against a storm. Wouldn't they just break under strong wind?

"Hold it steady, boy." Randal said before tying up the wood with some strong looking rope, and then placing a nail and hammering the two poles together.

"That doesn't seem the most stable..." Garland remarked, he let go of the piece of bamboo and went to the next foundation point, setting the wood up, and holding it in place while it was hammered firmly into the ground.

"You try it, the best teacher is experience after all." Randal said, holding the bamboo pole steady.

"Huh... I'd know it." Garland said, while Garland tied a tight knot on it, or at least tried too. He didn't really have much experience with knots, of course he knew how to tie a knot, but not a knot like this knot though, he was not very good at knotting, that's for sure.

"Not like that, run the rope over the pole and pull, place your thumb to hold it in place." Randal instructed, Garland wasn't a fast learner though, a few chimes later, he finally got it passable.

"I hate knots." Garland said before taking the nail and hammer then started hammering them together. "Do we have any other wood besides this bamboo stuff?"

"Of course, but those are in short supply, and I'd rather use what's abundant here rather than importing and costing a fortune." Randal said before heading off to the next pole and doing the same as before. "I hope you don't take as long this time, I was hoping to finish this today."
Garland
A Father First, A Squire Second

Words: 687461
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2014, 2:02 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)