Iron and Wine (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Iron and Wine (Open)

Postby Nya Winters on November 7th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Timestamp: 40th of Fall, 509 AV
Location: Outside The Ironworks Under a Large Pinepalm and grass patch.

Nya liked taking her lunch, or at least a snack, in any of the green places she could find in Syliras. Though the city was built for protection, so green spaces were lacking. But above the Ironworks next to the city wall was a remarkable little spring that fed a series of pinepalms that cast a wonderful sense of shade. It was a peaceful place of birds and flowers that still clung to themselves even as winter blew in. The pinepalms were huge, casting shadows in the cool sun. The odd trees were almost a combination between the heavy evergreens of the Cobalts and the tropical palms found further south. They had large fronds that lasted only during the summer sun, turning deep orange and red in the fall where they finally gave up their life and gently cascaded to the ground to be used for fodder for fires all over Syliras. The big trees were common, but just up and down the Suvan Coast - some saying they were born of the wild djed storms that raged just after the world calmed from the Valterrian.

Regardless of where or how they came to be, Nya liked setting up beneath them. She had her wine, nuts, and cheese.... all spread out on a blanket that looked suspiciously like her bondmate's large overcoat. Nya really needed to remember to buy him a new one, since she was almost always using his well worn one - usually for a blanket. She liked the location too because it overlooked the Ironworks and she could watch the smiths work their open forges - which was endlessly fascinating.

It was a lovely setting, with a great view, and slightly exotic under the fiery red and orange palmpine fronds. And while Nya was alone, she wasn't actually unapproachable. In fact, she looked curious, animated, and easy to talk too. Especially since she was playing a lovely little wooden flute.. the type that had a throaty earthy sound. She wasn't overly skilled, but the music wasn't horrible since the flute was an easy to play instrument. Her song was light, playful, friendly... and carried out over the nearby area.
Last edited by Nya Winters on November 15th, 2009, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Re: Iron and Wine (Nor Please/Open)

Postby Terminus Norin on November 8th, 2009, 2:57 am

Terminus had decided to go for a walk that day before finding a place to do a little philtering practice. He had some ideas for his firedancing routine that would require some philters and one especially specialized one that would take several tries to get right. He decided to seek out one of the few remaining green spots in the city, he hadn't bee to the small spring in years anbd hoped it was still as striking as it was so long ago. He also was hungry so he was carrying a light lunch to sup on when he arrived.

He made his way up the path above the Ironworks where many smiths made an honest living working the metals in the fire. He could appreciate the smiths as they worked with fire, the great purifier. Though unskilled with the forge he could appreciate their skill in making the raw metal into that which they desired. As he approached the spring, his ears were graced with the notes of a throaty,earthy flute. The song seemed to him to be light and friendly so he chose to seek out the source.

Coming up the path, he noticed a slender,dark haierd woman playing a flute which was the source of the tune he was hearing. Not wanting to interrupt her he stood nearby, at a respectable distance and listened for a while. He could appreciate music as it helped his dancing to become more than movements, though he had no talent of his own, occasionaly he could get a musician to accompany him. A small smile graced his face as he listened
Its not wheither you win or lose but how you play that counts
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Words: 63849
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2009, 4:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: Iron and Wine (Nor Please/Open)

Postby Nya Winters on November 15th, 2009, 11:20 pm

She had noticed the man approaching, but hadn't said much. It was unusual that Nya saw someone before she smelled them, but with her breath involved in the playing of the native flute, her nose wasn't participating as well as it normally did with its surroundings. Nya was just learning to play the flute, struggling through its notes and trying to work out its complexities while being away from anyone who had any musical ability whatsoever, especially Abashai. She didn't want to embarrass herself or traumatize him with her sometimes overzealous playing. The forest cat just wanted to get decent enough at the flute so she could sometimes share a bit of music with her friend when he decided to take out his ode and play a little in the evenings.

Nya wondered what drew the man. Did he know about the little spring under the palmpines? She glanced at the food, realized there was more than enough to share, and relaxed. If the man posed a threat, he'd soon make it clear enough. Until then, Nya would treat him like she treated all strangers - as potential friends.

The forest cat set down her flute, licked her lips, and smiled. "I am sorry if my playing offended you... it is rather rough I know. Will you join me? I am not in your place am I?" She asked curiously. "I came to relax, and to watch the smiths work over a snack. I have enough to share." She said, offering food, which she had long since learned was rather a good way to make new friends.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Re: Iron and Wine (Open)

Postby Terminus Norin on November 15th, 2009, 11:41 pm

Terminus had been listening for a while and was sure the young woman saw him as he wasn't trying to hide his approach, but niether was he trying to get her to stop. He simply followed the beat of the music and couldn't tell at first that she was still learning, but as he listened he could hear some missteps even then he still said nothing. He simply listened and enjoyed the beauty of this place untill she spoke. He approached a bit closer so that his voice could reamin quiet as he spoke

No, you are not in my place. I knew about this place as I used to play here as a boy, I have been gone a while and am getting reaquainted with my home. He smiled as she spoke of offending him with her music,Im not offended, everyone has to practice to get better at what they do. he said.

She motioned to wher she was stiing and the food she had brought. He was a social soul and always welcomed the chance to know new people, it was through this kind of interaction he found balance. I would be honored to share your snack with you milady. as he drew near enough to sit near her, the sun caught her hair and he noticed the mossy highlights and blends that would appear black otherwise. He simply noted it since he knew nothing about Nya yet so this could be natural for her. He sat and looked out at the Ironworks
I have been many places, but this is my favorite. It is a great pleasure to watch the smiths work the metal..

He thought a bit and smiled, It is almost a magic in itself what they can do to such hard substances He bowed at the shoulder, Im sorry, My name is Terminus,what would yours be? He suddenly realized he had not introduced himself and that could be thought of as rude, so he repaired that error.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on November 16th, 2009, 1:06 am

She hadn't meant to be rude and not introduce herself. It was simply that in a new place and with a new person, sometimes she forgot the basic human niceties. Nya smiled a welcome, purred softly, and nodded. "I understand what you mean about smiths. They do so completely fascinate me. I read in a book once about how ore was turned into metal and that was turned into weapons and plows and nails, but it is impossible to imagine unless you sit someplace like this and watch them work." As the man settled next to her, Nya inhaled his scent and looked him over carefully without appearing to do so - something Abashai had often cautioned her about.

"Terminus... that is an unusual name. Does it have a meaning?"
The girl said, her moss green eyes widening with curiosity. One thing the man would notice immediately was that the girl had a very animated expression, as if her thoughts crossed her face as easily as words crossed a page - open and there for anyone to read if they took the time. And though he'd already noticed her strangely brindled hair, if he looked closer, he might notice that her canines were a bit more pointed than usual, and if the light hit her eyes just right, they looked almost vertical rather than rounded in her pupils... like a cat. Nya never tried to hide her Kelvic nature. Most Kelvis didn't as a rule. But they didn't openly advertise it either.

"My name is Nya Winters. I am new to Syliras. In fact, just this season new. I am from up north, near the boarder of Taldera. It sounds as if you have lived here quite a while. You said you left and came back? Where did you go?"
Nya asked, though gently, as if leaving room for him to change the subject or avoid the question if it was difficult to answer.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on November 16th, 2009, 3:45 am

Terminus was an observer when he chose to be and right now he found an unusual focus. He noted that she purred softly as she saw him approach, in addition to her unusually brindled hair he noted the pointed canines and the catlike eyes. He thought she was quite unusual for a human woman...which except for the unusual qualities she appeared to be.

Aye they have always facinated me as well. I used to sit here for hours growing up and watch them. I never did posess the talent to do what they do though.

He watched her face as she asked him if his name had a special meaning, her eyes showed her curiosity about him. In fact her foace was very animated as if everything she felt or thought was shown in it. I have heard rumors...about a people who were part animal. Could she be? he question remained in his mind as he had never before now met a Kelvic so Nya appeared to be more a human with some very unusual qualities than anything else.

I think its a Pre-Valterrain name. My family has been obsessed with the world before the Valterrain. I think it means "dedicated one" I am dedicated..in a very literal sense actually. He wasn't sure he should speak of Ivak openly just yet..he remembered Sura all too well.

He smiled when she told him her name. Nya..a very pretty name if I may be so bold.I was born here and grew up here, that is why I know it so well as to why I left..I wasseeking someone to teach me in a talent I had . It has taken many turns of the seasons but I have finished my training and am back. Right now Im hoping to entertain people by firedancing..I have an unusual talent for it.

He looked back toward Nya, keeping his own blue eyes focused on her mossy ones.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on November 16th, 2009, 4:15 am

There was a sincerity about him that was unusual. And though Nya tended not to make snap judgments be about people because they could be so deceptive, she decided almost instantly she liked this man. And she was suddenly glad for the company, though the chance that she would have any was almost slim to none. "I would like to try working metal sometimes... but fire scares me. It always has. I have gotten better at it now that I am a little older, but sometimes it is hard to not see the flames and be afraid. I think that is why I come here sometimes. To see these men be so bold around it, to fearlessly use it like a tool... gives me courage enough to light a fire. There was a time when I almost never ate cooked food because I did not have such courage. Now I am rather attached to bread baked in ovens or flat on warm rocks... or soup in the winter when it is cold." Nya said softly, watching the man's expression. She nudged over her bounty to him and pulled a second wooden cup out of her back, the one she usually used for Abashai, and poured him some wine. She set the cup over in front of him and popped an almond into her mouth to slowly nibble on.

She wouldn't have considered such things food before meeting real humans - Abashai and their other friends in Syliras. But now she knew such things made her strong and fit, better really than her prior solid diet of red meat.

Nya smiled at Terminus' admission about his family. "My mother is the same way. She loves old books and poking about ruins that are Pre-Valterrian. She claims much wisdom, even magic, was lost to the world's death and rebirth." Nya said, speaking of Zilvia Winters and her obsession. "Dedicated though? What are you dedicated too?" Nya asked, tilting her head curiously and stealing another almond to nibble.

When he commented about her name, she simply smiled. "My mother named me after the Nyavani people, who lived pre-Valtarrian. I suspect we have parents who have a lot in common." Nya said, looking thoughtfully at the stranger. She hadn't known anyone else would be interested in the times before the great winter and the burnings, but she supposed curiosity was natural to humanity. "I regret sometimes not being more interested in the things my mother knew when I lived at home. When I was very young she asked me to leave for my own good, so I have not been back to see her. I would like very much to go back and visit though... there is a lot I would ask her about now that I would not have thought to ask her about then." Nya admitted, then smiled ruefully.

"What about you? Do you miss your parents? Did you go back to learn something from them or was it from someone else? What is it anyhow, that you had to go leave to learn?"
She asked, still curious.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on November 16th, 2009, 4:48 am

Terminus listened to Nya with a mind that was wide open, his greatest love in life was learning..well other than Ivak and to listen without thinking about responses was the best way to learn. He was glad of her company as well...he was beginning to feel a little chained up and knew soon there would have to be a release of his devotion and the secrets he kept or he would b out of balance. Maybe she would be more open than others about those things.

However he kept from chuckling when she mentioned fear of fire. Since being marked by Ivak, fire was one thing he did not fear...it could not harm him and he knew it. Not only that but with Ivak being the god of volcanism..fire was facinating to him. He did though respecte anyone elses fear of the flames..especially since it came from a fear of the harm fire can do. His expression showed his amusement and his acceptance.

I have never feared fire, but then again I have never had reason to. I work with and around it for a living so I guess I'd better not be fearfull of it. However I do respect it a great deal. I myself am quite fond of soup in the winter and have missed the taste of a soup made by a good cook. My own cooking could be described as...Passable.

He smiled a soft smile that reached his eyes as she nudged some of her bounty toward him. He took a sip of the wine and his expression was one of pleasure.

"This is very good...thank you for sharing it with me." He honestly meant what he said as he followed her lead and nibbled on an almond savouring the taste of it. His senses were not unusually strong, but he tended to allow them full reign when he could.

Your mother would love mine then. She spends as much time seeking the ancient knowledge as she can. I think it has to do with the answer to your question. What and I dedicated to? Not so much what as who? I am always carefull about this admission as there are those who dont look at the one I serve as my family and I do. He smiled softly and figured that she would either be like Sura or not. I serve Ivak..though many hate him for the Valterrain, we think he is really basicaly good. Who would not go insane when thier love was killed as his was? Unfortunately he is a god and when they unleash their fury...worlds die.

He searched her eyes for any revulsion at his admission, he then went on to say,
My parents still live ouside the city. I intend to see them soon, I have missed them greatly, all that I am I owe to their teachings. he said lovingly as he adored his parents.

Why did I leave them? I went seeking a Reimancer to teach me the art. Being one of Ivak's I thought that manipulating fire would be appropriate, My master also taught me philtering as well. That however I did not practice as much.

He knew that most folks did not approve of magic for the same reason they dissapproved of Ivak, the Valterrain had cost the world much.

So if im not being too personal...what was it that forced your parents to askl you to leave Nya?
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nya Winters on November 16th, 2009, 5:29 am

Nya listened to Terminus thoughtfully. His words were important, but more so to her was his body language. He was apprehensive yet not in the way a guilty man normally was. He was uncertain of what her reaction was going to be, she decided, rather than hold emotions in about what it was he was actually saying that he thought she would take as wrong. The forest cat processed information differently than most people, reading scent, the tone of voice, the bodys posture, and even the gaze before she actually understood the words. Something Terminus was about to say was supposed to maybe upset her, though she wasn't really sure what that was.

If Nya had her choice, she'd never cook at all and leave it to others to deal with. But she decided not to mention that fact because he labeled himself passable, which was a far cry more skilled than she was. Mostly, if it wasn't bread or sweets or best yet sweet bread, she preferred to eat it raw. So that he could cook at all was remarkable in her eyes. Her skill was limited to spitting things and letting them roast over campfires or adding meat to water to make soup. Bread was far beyond her capacity, which is why she relied on humans so much for food now.

In a way, she regretted that alliance. It made her weaker and more dependent than she'd be otherwise.

But Terminus had more to say... both with his voice and his body, so she listened carefully to each. Ivak was it? Nya tilted her head and thought about this a bit. She smiled carefully and said gently ... "You are not the only one in this city. I met another, named Leo, who is also very devote of the God of Fire. It is interesting that he inspires such devotion in his followers. He must be a very interesting person to speak to and follow." Nya said, seemingly unfazed by Terminus' devotion. "The truth is, I respect people who are devoted followers of gods that inspire such things. Some gods, that is... other gods scare me a little. I was marked by Zulrav at birth, and so I understand deep faith. But most people would not understand that faith, even though it was not by my choice in the beginning." Nya said softly, wondering why she told this man. Zulrav was someone she rarely spoke to Abashai about. The benshira had often mentioned the killing sandstorms as Zulrav's wrath and it made her nervous to speak to him of how devote Nya really was.

But this was a stranger... an easy to speak to stranger... and she took advantage of that. "I think it is harder, sometimes, for people to follow those Gods who are ill favored or misunderstood. I cannot say that I understand Ivak's rage or that it was justified because I have not walked his pathway... but I can understand how pain can make someone make bad choices." Nya said, glancing at the sky and wishing for a moment that there was a storm brewing off the coast. Syliras had some good blows, ones that she'd come to appreciate. She always loved speaking to storms, judging their moods, and playing in their power if they were playful rather than angry.

"I have to admit though, I do not know what Reinmancy or Philtering is. I should, but to pretend to understand would be wrong. Will you tell me what they are?"
Nya admitted. She was ignorant about many things, especially most arcana.

She looked thoughtfully at Terminus' last question. She nodded a moment, and answered him simply. "My mother is a human wizard, and my father is a kelvic stallion she bought at a horse fair. They have a very close bond, filled with love, and when my mother knew she was going to have me, it never occurred to her that I would be anything but human. When I grew faster than I should, she knew.. .but they didn't know what sort of Kelvic I would be. My father thought I would be a horse as well. When I was six months old I found my shape, and it was a predator... so I made them uncomfortable. I ate a lot of red meat when I was growing up, and even my mother to this day eats little of it. It was best that I left them.. even though I loved them and they loved me. I wanted to bond with my mother, but she was afraid of me... young cats are not easy to live with." Nya said thoughtfully, her voice colored with regret.
Nya Winters

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Terminus Norin on November 17th, 2009, 2:57 am

Terminus listened to and watched Nya carefully, still sipping the wine ans nibbling on a tidbit or so. He knew his gift could only tell him of any strong emotions she was feeling, and he felt none. However her body language and tone of voice indicated nothing but acceptance of him and what he was saying. She seemed curious about him and that made him all the more comfortable,and he hadn't been truly cofortable around a female since Sura.

He breathed a sigh of relief when she showed acceptance of his devotion to Ivak, the last woman who knew rejected him fiercely and had wounded him in ways she would never know. It pleased him that there was another devotee to Ivak in the city and he would have to look for this Leo he wondered if he was an Azenth as well and if so..which bloodline?

It is good to know that a fellow devotee walks this city, there aren't many of us in Syliras. I might have to see if I can arrange a meeting with him and discuss Ivak. I havent had someone to do that with in years. He chuckled this time, I find him facinating and tragic. In losing his love he lost everything. Yet he still stands for balance of forces both emotional and natural as well as great passion.

He listend as she spoke of devotion to gods and her respect of devotees, he also noted her devotion to Zulrav, the god of the weather..bringer of storms. He knew the god marked his followers from birth and it was refreshing to find that Nya understood his devotion for Ivak due to hers for Zulrav. He felt a momentary flash of nervousness and wonder, then it faded.

Aye I can respect anyone devoted to their god...even those devoted to cruel Rhysol, though that ilk scares me..I can respect their devotion. I am glad that you can understand my devotion to Ivak. I am also glad to find someone devoted to their god as well.I have not walked his path exactly..but I have lost love. I understand the grief that can cause so I can believe that Ivak was not totally to blame for his actions.

He nodded to her next question, Reimancy and Phitering are branches of arcana or magic Reimancy is using one's inner energy or Djed to create elemental spell effects and Philtering is kind of potion making

He smiled as she answered his last question So she IS a Kelvic..the first I have ever encountered. His body language and facial expression were ones of peace and intregue, he was intensely curious about her now that he knew her race, especially since she was the first of her kind he had encountered. He smiled sadly I could see where it would make things difficult on them. However I would hope they miss and love you as much as you obviously do them. He could feel the love she felt for her parents like a firey beacon when she spoke of them and her underlying sadness.

So you are some type of forest cat? he asked, the odditites in her appearance and actions now falling into place. I presume you shift between forms? Is there a natural form you take or are all your forms natural? He blushed as he was asking very personal questions and spoke gently and softly Please Nya if im being too personal ask me to stop. I dont wish to make you uncomfortable.
Terminus Norin
Capture The Day

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next