Flashback The Testing of Young Marta

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Testing of Young Marta

Postby Marta Morrax on January 28th, 2018, 7:18 pm

11th, Fall, AV 511. At the Riverfall Citizenship, housing and Labor Aid office

"So this is the place? Pretty lackluster but still fitting for such an important building to blend into everything else." the seventeen-year-old Marta thought as she approached the Citizenship office. The building was strangely small she mused to herself as she approached the simple domed building. Her mother was currently working and would be unable to make it the exam in truth that was fine with Marta she didn't want the distraction. She knew what to do, beat the instructor easy as that. At last, she enters the building from the quiet street. A small line of others stood before her, three humans and an Isur are in front of her. She waits there patiently and quietly going back over everything in her mind. "Paperwork already filled out, done last week. Remember to stand straight hold the blade tightly but do not be afraid to let the grip slip around your hand. Watch the instructor closely as well, everyone has a pattern beating him is just a matter of finding the pattern and working within it. Find his ticks, find his flaws, and find out how his body lies. Skills with the blade itself come second before skill of reading the man." At last the final person had finished their business with the Office Finally it was her turn.

"Yes how many we help you?" One of the two Akalak at the receptionist desk asked Marta as she approached. "Good afternoon yes I am here to take my exam now, I was told last time I was here I needed to return today." She pulls out a small slip from a pouch on her hip and hands it to the men. The girl had dressed in a form-fitting tunic and matching pants both a matching dark green with light brown trim, clearly, this was her normal state of dress it seemed but the form-fitting nature of the clothing was more for what she needed to do today rather than any appeal physically. "Very well then, please go up the staircase and into the gymnasium, a practice short sword as per your choice has been chosen laid out for you. Await there for your instructor he will detail you anything about the fight itself. Come back to use if you succeed and we will give you the slip to get your tattoo." The note was her filled out forum from her last visit, detailing the required information for her to take this test.

Name: Marta Morrax
Race: Human
Competency In: Short Sword
Employment: Jewelry Assasstaint
Expected Stay In Riverfall: 20-50 years.

At last it was time, she smiled and thanked the men tending the counter as she walked up the staircase taking deep breathes slowly each step another breath, one by one up the great stone staircase till she entered the large domed room that served as the gymnasium, still it was built simply but not in a cheap manner rather an efficient manner, it was built with efficiency in mind rather than beauty something Marta had great respect for. Resting upon a bench was the single metal core short sword, she lifted up and inspected it closely. It appeared to be well maintained but clearly used often and has seen its fair share of damage and extreme use. Still, it felt nice in her hands a soft comforting feeling. Now all that was left to do is wait for the instructor.
Marta Morrax

To anyone I play with or who reads my threads please, feel free to give me feedback on my writing. The biggest reason I play is to become a better writer. So I want to hear what people think, what did you hate? Or perhaps truly enjoyed? Shoot me a message and let me know sometime!
Marta Morrax
Player

Words: 7570
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2018, 5:23 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Marta Morrax on January 29th, 2018, 4:27 am

It only took a few minutes before a large Akalak entered the gymnasium. He was taller than her by a full head and only wore a pair of dark brown pants, his body was well-muscled and his chest covered in a number of small healed scars, over his shoulder was short sword strapped into a sheath behind his back. While approaching Marta he spoke saying "Welcome to the exam I will be your instructor and examiner Lamara Soryn. The exam is simple we will go too best of three matches. One hit you lose one hit I lose simple as that. Otherwise, there are no more rules to the fights themselves. Pick up your weapon whenever you are ready and good luck." Marta had listened to the man's words expectantly and smiled the more he talked. "I think I am going to like this." She mused to herself as she picked up her own blade and moved to the center of the gym with Lamara. She watched as he drew his metal cored sword and took a position at one end of a large chalk drawn ring.

Four years of daily Patrice this is what it all will amount too. She could not fail this test, she knew there were secrets hiding within this city so many things hidden below the surface she had to see them all she had to find them all. "Ready...good begin!" Lamara shouts out snapping Marta out of her own mind.
And no sooner did he speak was he upon her, the wooden blade slamming down towards her right shoulder. She spins and lurches out of the way with only a second to spare her own blade jerking up to deflect the second blow she felt was going to be slamming right into her. And she was guessing right as the instructor quickly changed the momentum of his swing to follow after her once she stepped to the side. The sound of a thin layered wood and metal clashing could be heard filling the room. Marta smiled pleased with her size as she jerks her head upward slamming into Lamara's jaw, a cry of pain fills the room next as Marta uses the moment to push her attacker away.
"Watch him closely Marta do not lose sight of this." Her mind races as she struggles to focus on him charging towards her, "There!" She exclaims in her own mind as he begins charging towards her once again powerfully. Now she makes her move quickly jumping to the side. At last, she notices, her opportunity his reckless nature of his attacks leaves him totally opened for a moment and his back is wholly unprotected. She swings her sword and cracks him right across the spine he yells out in pain but stops. "Very good." Lamara smiles at her both of just a bit breathless. He raises up and begins walking back towards the circle. "One point to Marta. Ready?" He finally says back at the edge of the circle.

She was ready. This is perfect she sees it now, understands him now. She would not give him a chance this time around. "Ready!" She calls back and charges him herself. "There it is!" She thinks to herself as he looks like he is about ready to rush to her as well due to how he had positioned himself. As she drew in close something changed his stance it moved from this imposing sign of power to something else? What was it? What was he doing with his stance? All were thoughts in her mind but that did not help as a she felt the searing white hot agony shoot into her skull as she was knocked to the ground her head slamming onto the stone floor of the gym itself. She tasted blood and in the distance somewhere almost far away she heard "one point for each combatant." At last Marta sat up the whiteness of pain fading slowly as she grinned wide at the instructor.
At last, spat out a mouthful of blood onto the ground and said. "I see what you are saying." And she did, she focused too much on what he had done not what he could do that was her error, play it safe never be so reckless and never assume like that again her dizziness will be a testament to that fact.

After a moment of cooling off, the two reached their respective ends of the circle as he called out for the final time. "Ready?", Marta grinned wildly excitement filling her this is what she lived for everything was a puzzle and everything can and should be condensed to one. "Ready!" She almost growled out her words.
Lamara Nodded and this time again charged and this time she was ready for the first blow. Parrying it barely in time, "Steady Marta you got this." She thought as he pulled back while she took a swipe at his feet hoping to unsteady him and give her the advantage, but he almost seems to slide back with grace instead of putting him off balance. "Damn him! Watch. His muscles are tensing and moving quickly to the left? Yes, It had to be now!" Her sword flung up and deflected his next strike the reverberation of wood and iron shook her hand as she saw her chance and took it sidestepping away from the strike after parrying it ramming it into his kidney.
At last, it was over, Marta lets out a laugh as she watches Lamara drop his blade to the ground as she collapses her whole body shaking violently suddenly, with a mixture of fear from the fight, pride from winning, and the terrible pain pounding into her skull. Lamara smiles as he walks over to her standing above her sitting body he offers her a slip of parchment and says. "Congratulations you are now a Kuvan take this to Riverfall ink to get your tattoo." Her shaky hand takes the paper and nods smiling. She did it, at last, she was a Kuvan.
Marta Morrax

To anyone I play with or who reads my threads please, feel free to give me feedback on my writing. The biggest reason I play is to become a better writer. So I want to hear what people think, what did you hate? Or perhaps truly enjoyed? Shoot me a message and let me know sometime!
Marta Morrax
Player

Words: 7570
Joined roleplay: January 26th, 2018, 5:23 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Salara Kel'Halavath on April 20th, 2018, 2:01 pm

GRADER'S TEMPLATE
Your Thread Award!

Player One: Marta Morrax

Notes:
Marta, Please reach out to a Character Sheet (CS) Liaison to review your character sheet as some elements seem to be missing. They can review and provide feedback until you receive a Green Checkmark. A Private Message (PM) can be sent to the Moderator: Liaisons by selecting their purple highlighted listing at the top of your Character Sheet, selecting a liaison and choosing "PM for private message"

I see you are actively watching Mizahar and I'm sorry this wasn't addressed sooner. I welcome you to complete your CS and then PM me and I'll gladly grade your thread. If you would like to go a step further let me know and I'll have Salara join you in a thread.

As always, if you have a concern
or need a change, feel free to PM me!
Salara Kel'Halavath
What would She do?

Words: 225508
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2016, 8:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)