Howdy everyone!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Drop on by, introduce yourself, and let us know how you found us. In addition, don't be afraid to tell us what you'd like to get out of your Mizahar experience. Check out the stickies for more information.

Howdy everyone!

Postby Maddox on November 10th, 2009, 4:17 am

I stumbled across Mizahar quite a while ago, a little after the launch if I remember right, when I was stumbling around the web looking up links about storytelling and various homebrew RPG magic systems. I don't remember exactly how I got here, but I bookmarked the site and it stuck in the back of my mind for a month or two until I decided to come back and see what it was about. Umm... I guess that gets #3 out of the way, on with the list:

1. Name - or what you'd like to be called!

I'm Daniyel, on most websites I go by loimprevisto but I'm not picky about what name I answer to... Maddox will do just fine for around here.

2. What sort of RP experience do you have if any?

I've RP'd for about 10 years now. D&D was my gateway drug, now I've played in most of the mainstream systems and quite a few indie games too. I like running games, but I never seem to have enough time to put the level of work into a game that it deserves and my last few campaigns have fizzled out after a couple months.

4. What sort of RP style is your favorite?

Generally I like a game where players represent highly-capable people at the top of the food chain. Playing godlings, dukes/cabinet members, a wizard's council, millionaires, and the like lets you really dive into what's important to the character rather than just what they do to get by... a lot of my 'normal' characters just seemed to get to complacent. They'd finish the adventure and retire in comfort. I also like strategic level games where the challenge is about running an army, business investigative agency, etc.

Mizahar will be a departure from this, but I think I'm ready for something different.

5. What do you like to write about - not write about?

I like finding out what makes people tick. World building and character building can be my favorate part of a game. There's not much in the way of writing that I avoid. I know I'm not good at writing about certain things, like travelogues and physical character descriptions (I'm getting better at that part).

6. Whats your favorite thing about Mizahar so far?

I like the deliberate departure from Tolkien's fantasy to try something new. New cultures, races, critters, magics, and gods (especially Lhex, nice take on Fate!) make for a lot of interesting possibilities.

7. What, if anything, has frustrated you about Mizahar so far?

At some point I know you had to look at everything and decide it was 'done enough' to launch, but so much of it is just not there. I'm sure it will be better this time next year, but it's frustrating to catch a one-off mention of something neat and there be no other references to it anywhere in the Lore. Also, in the price list, poison skill description, and elsewhere a lot of stuff was obviously lifted from various d20 sources. It's not necessarily bad, but it can be a little jarring to come across and in places it doesn't seem to match the feel of the rest of the world.

Also, the thread-posting box started acting weird after my post got past a certain length- scrolling on its own, jumping around, and other oddities.

8. What would you like out of the mizahar experience?

Good storytelling, good community, and maybe a few friends.

9. Is there anything you'd like to see expanded?

Boatloads, the Gods are probably what I'd like to see completed first though. Once I get a feel for how things are done here I'll probably want to help out with developing the wiki too.

10. Anything else you want to talk about?
As I dredge up a character background I'll probably have plenty of questions for you all on the Discussions forum :)
Maddox
A man with a mission

Words: 7865
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2009, 3:28 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Re: Howdy everyone!

Postby Kamalia Timandre on November 10th, 2009, 4:40 am

Greetings and well met! Welcome to Mizahar, Daniyel! (And if your nickname is Dan, there's about 4 Dans here, so by our naming rules you'd be Dan Dan Dan Dan!)

I'm glad to know someone who's interested in strategic level games. It's really possible to get on top of the food chain here, but your character will have to find a way to get on top. Isn't it exciting? I like plotting, subterfuge, scheming, etc. to ascend power scales.

Oh, and please don't hesitate to ask any of us if you have questions!
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Gossamer on November 10th, 2009, 8:55 am

Welcome Maddox. Thank you for the very constructive criticism. It's always nice to get helpful feedback, especially when it comes to the lore. Sometimes it feels like there's so few people working on it we'll never get it done, so another volunteer is always welcome.

I hope you enjoy your stay, and you find us off the beaten path enough to want to stay. Let us know if we can help in any way. I look forward to getting to know you in thread. :)
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Guido Faragas on November 10th, 2009, 11:13 am

Hi and welcome,

Incidentally, I have the same issue with the thread posting box that you mention. Once the message is over a certian size it reacts very strangely to mouse clicks, highlighting etc.

Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just a few isolated cases?

Back on the boards after a nasty virus laid me low...should be posting again soon.
Guido Faragas
In Disequilibrium

Words: 114496
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2009, 7:50 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Abashai on November 10th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Its always a pleasure to see members of the US armed forces in Mizahar. Welcome!
Abashai
There are winds I am compelled to follow...

Words: 391987
Joined roleplay: August 25th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Coatl on November 11th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Helcome to Mizahar!

I have the funky error on posts that run to long int he dialog box ... but I cheat and use Word then cut and paste ... I cheat even more becaue I now have dragonspeak 10.1 :)
Coatl
Retired Staff

Words: 8287
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2009, 4:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Staff account

Tristan!

Postby Maddox on November 16th, 2009, 12:00 am

So, I haven't done much work on my Mizahar writing, but I think I have a pretty good excuse:

Tristan Walker Mills! :D
Maddox
A man with a mission

Words: 7865
Joined roleplay: November 10th, 2009, 3:28 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Peer Reviewer (1)

Postby Nya Winters on November 16th, 2009, 1:07 am

Awwwwww toooo cute.... absolutely too cute! Grats Daddy!
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)