Solo Ripples in the Pond

What happened then is not so easily forgotten now

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Ripples in the Pond

Postby Taurina on May 31st, 2018, 3:43 pm

Afternoon of the 80th of Spring 518

Starfire’s shadow danced across the grass in a way that was haphazard and frantic. A fence too small trapped him, a force greater than him keeping him from attempting to break the barrier. Taurina stood on the lowest level and leaned her body against the uppermost layer. Her brown gaze just watched him as her heart ached to see his pain. The plains were so close, it would take him no time to get there and she bet he could jump the fence if he wanted, yet he staid. He staid and he paced and he toiled in the misery she had bestowed upon him.

“I am sorry zulkina..” Taurina murmured for the thousandth time, “so sorry.”

The words held no weight and had lost their meaning. To say sorry was to try and make things right, a promise to do better and be better. The Ethaefal had not done that. She had apologized over and over, but she still held him here where he was close. Where she was able to find him.

“I just… I couldn’t lose you too. You know I couldn’t.” A reminder to fall on deaf ears.

The white stallion shook his mane and stomped his hoof, ears pinning back. Anger was what filled him and Taurina could not blame him. She would have been angry too if someone had trapped her within the confines of walls after living an entire life free of restraint. The woman sighed and shook her head. In a way she had done that to herself, but that was different. She had made that choice and been aware of what it entailed. Starfire was an innocent and the only choice he had had was to come with his bonded rider or stay without her on the plains. It had not been a fair choice.

Taurina reached out a hand, her gaze pleading and sorrowful. He had gotten more and more angsty as the season went on. These days even her coming here did not calm him much. Perhaps it had been her lack of riding him, how her visits had gotten longer and longer apart. Taurina told herself that it was justified because she had been busy. Busy focusing on herself, on Alekxandra, on keeping the two of them safe and away from any more shadows. It was all just excuses though. More time could have been made. More time should have been made.

Starfire did not come to her. Instead he remained aloof and as far from her as the pen allowed. Taurina blew out a sigh of defeat before hopping down from the fence. She walked over to the gate and undid the latch, slipping in before closing it behind her. Reaching into a pocket, she pulled out a small handful of sugar cubes and smiled a little. He had never been able to resist a treat.

“Look what I got,” her voice was soft and lifted as she spoke, “it is your favorite.”

Ears perked forward, a nose that Taurina knew was the texture of velvet stretched out and wide nostrils flared as a scent was drawn in. Starfire took a hesitant step towards her and that alone made the smile grow. If he was angry with her for not coming more, at least it was not so much so that a treat could not help ease some tensions.

“That’s it Starfire, come on. I know you want some,” Taurina encouraged, keeping that soft and lifted tone, “couple more steps zulkina.”

The strider did not take much longer closing the gap. A muzzle soft and warm pressed into the Drykas hand as lips and teeth closed around the sugar. Taurina smiled and carefully, gently, stroked her hand over the stallion’s face. He did not so much as flinch, did not step back. Comfortable at least, even if unhappy.

“See, there. You know me,” Taurina murmured softly, “you know me.”

There was a sigh after the sugar had disappeared. Taurina ran her hand over Starfire’s face again and down his neck before moving down his body and checking over him for any injuries. The stablehands said he had not let anyone near him for days and that they did not trust him with the other horses which is why they had secluded him. Taurina suspected that had done more harm than good to the stallion who was so used to being apart of a herd, a family, but she kept her mouth shut since she was not an expert and did not think it would do any good.

“We got to figure something else out, don’t we? This is not working anymore,” Taurina mused aloud after she was satisfied that he was okay, “I don’t think this was ever working.”

Fingers pulled at the tangles in his mane. He needed a good bath, some attention, and room to run. None of which it seemed he had here. Taurina did not think the runners of the stable bad people, she thought they had tried their best, but it just was not the tent city or the Drykas people. No one knew how to better care for the striders than the Drykas, no space compared to the steppe. A part of Taurina thought that maybe she should just let him go back, but a voice in her head told her he would not take the chance even if she presented it. That he had come here for her and would stay for her too. Because striders were more than just horses. They were souls, a gift from the gods, family in every sense of the word.

“I’ll figure something else out. I promise. Just give me some time.”

Common | Pavi | 'Thoughts'

Taurina
Lost in the Stars

Words: 752473
Joined roleplay: January 18th, 2016, 4:18 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) Overlored (1)
2016 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Ripples in the Pond

Postby Taurina on June 3rd, 2018, 7:33 am

Fingertips lazily grazed over stall doors and wooden fences as Taurina walked through the stables and back into the city. Starfire had seemed calmer by the time she decided that it had grown late and was time for her to leave since she wanted to grab something to eat before heading home. Goodbyes had been said with promises to be back soon and kisses over his face. The stallion was unhappy when she left, always was, but that could only be helped so much. She had made the nearest stable hand promise to give him more treats and attention when she entered the stable proper, not leaving until he promised her. It was only after she was satisfied his word was true that she took her leave.

There was a slight breeze in the air that pulled at wisps falling from the Eth’s braided hair. She wore her loose fitted, teal colored, pants along with her tan colored top and the worn boots she was too lazy to replace. She did not carry her pack with her or her journal, but instead had a few mizas in one pocket; flint, a piece of parchment, and steel in the other. It was not a given that the fire starter would help her should a shadow attack happen, but it was better than carrying nothing or relying on a stranger’s kindness to help her. Fire had proven to work against them. Light was their enemy. It made sense to carry things capable of creating it with her.

Children played in the street in the afternoon light. A pair of Akalak sons with their Konti sisters running and laughing as some sort of game involving a ball was played. Their joy was unbridled, their laughter almost contagious. Taurina even found a smile pulling at her lips as she passed them by, narrowly missing getting hit by one of them. The boy with cobalt skin paused to give an apology, but the Drykas just waved him off as she was completely unbothered. A nod was passed and the boy went back to his game with his siblings. Taurina watched them for a tick before smiling to herself as she turned and continued on her walk down the street.

It had been a long time since she last entered the Blue Bull. It had been since her one night stand with the Akalak whose names she had never gotten, but not since perhaps the middle of the season. The tavern was near the stables, however, and food was easily acquired within its walls as well as a little unsolicited attention. Not that Taurina was necessarily searching for anything, her heart still rather raw, and certain things remained better off undone for now, but she was not against some looks and harmless flirting should it come her way. And it would, it always did when it came to the tavern and the men that frequented it.

“Hey you! Been a long time,” Ann Flowerheart greeted with a big smile and a hearty laugh as Taurina approached the bar, “How are you? What’ll it be?”

The Ethaefal gave the woman a smile that was not quite forced, but not quite one of strong friendship. Seeing the Drykas woman was always a little bittersweet, both of them that worked at the tavern actually. The pair reminded Taurina of who she was, where she came from, the family and friends she missed. Good memories, a twinge of guilt and sorrow, bittersweet. A sigh escaped her and she settled herself into a barstool. Soon she would move to the tables were there was more privacy and less noise, but here was fine for now until the place began to fill up a little more.

“I’m alright, better.” She knew Ann knew what she meant by that. The bartender had just been so easy to talk to last she was here. “Give me a small of whatever you’re making today and a dinner.”

A nod was given and Ann went to work. Taurina watched her for a tick before her gaze turned to other things. Caramel eyes swept past the booths with a few lingering patrons down to the scarcely populated dance floor. Middle of the afternoon was a grand time to come, before the late afternoon rush that ended in everyone getting out before night settled in. The shadows had killed the night life for the time being. Nothing was quite the same but fun was still to be had.

“Here you go little darlin,” Ann chirped as she put a glass of something blue and green before Taurina with that same big, almost cheesy, smile plastered on her face.

Taurina lifted an eyebrow and looked at the drink before picking it up and twirling it around. She looked up to the Drykas bartender who just gave her a wink and her smile turned playful. That wasless reassuring and more cause for concern.

“Don’t knock it before you try it!” the woman insisted, motioning frantically for the Eth to do just that.

The excitement in the Drykas caused Taurina to let out a giggle and then a sigh before she nodded.

“Alright, alright.” Taurina lifted the drink to her lips and looked towards the sky. “Leth help me.”

The cocktail was something sweet, tangy, and burning as it went down her throat in a cool stream. The glass was lowered back to the bar, mostly full, as the drinker coughed and made a face that was a mix between confusion and pleasure.

“See? Good right?!” Ann pressed expectantly.

“It is something alright. I am not sure good is the word I would use.”

Ann laughed and shook her head. Her lips parted as if she was about to say something, but then the woman seemed to freeze and become still with seriousness. Laughter fell from her face as she leaned over the bar and brought her face as close as the barrier between them would allow to Taurina’s own. The Ethaefal blinked, confused. The shift in mood was jarring.

“You still hung up on your dead ankal?” was the question that came.

Taurina swallowed. What in Leth’s name?! Where had that come from? What even was the answer to that question? Why was she asking?

“I… um.. no.. I am trying to move on… Why do you care?” was Taurina’s stuttered response.

Ann just sighed and nodded down the bar.

“He’s been asking about you everyday since that night you left with him.”

Nerves and guilt and maybe some amount of fear balled up in Taurina’s stomach as she followed Ann’s direction and beheld a regret she was not quite ready to face.

Taurina
Lost in the Stars

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ripples in the Pond

Postby Taurina on June 3rd, 2018, 11:00 pm

Taurina swallowed once, then again. Her breathing became fast and her palms sweaty even though she did not remember having ever felt colder in her life. Every pulse of her heart told her to run, get out of there so she would not have to admit to the purple skinned Akalak that she did not want to see him again. That it had nothing to do with him, but everything to do with her because she simply could not look into those golden eyes and not think of her beloved Azmere who she was trying so hard to no longer mourn. Her body must have been disconnected from her brain for no matter how many times she willed herself to get up, move, do something, she remained locked frozen on her barstool as the male started to walk towards her.

“What’s a pretty lady like you sitting here all alone?” The familiar words were spoken playfully in the male’s velvet soft rumble of a voice as he took a seat beside her. “Hello Taurina, long time no see.”

She did not remember having given him her name, but then again she had also been drunk and emotional so it was possible they had spoken of such things. She did remember having talked over a great deal of things in their wanderings that ended at his place. What exactly was all said, she did not remember, but she did remember that they had not delved into very many sensitive things. She had not cried that night, not when she had been with him. Simply felt on top of the world and then foolish and then on top of the world again until morning came and regret crashed in.

“You have me at a disadvantage,” Taurina’s words were slow and heavy as she worked them from her lips, “you know my name, but I do not remember learning yours.”

The male smiled something playful and almost feral. His eyes flashed as he leaned back against the bar and looked at the little Drykas woman he had taken to bed not all that long ago. He did not touch her, did not reach out for her, but his presence was enough to lock her in place. It was not as though she was scared of him -aside from the part of her that knew he could crush her like a twig should he wish it- but more that she did not know how to interact with him. They had had a thing, for a night, and now she wanted nothing more to do with him. Communicating that was not something she found easy.

“Enalius Talkut,” he answered calm and smooth, warm.

“And your brother?” Taurina asked, willing a forced calm upon herself.

Enalius seemed to frown a bit at that, like he was disappointed she bring his other half up. She knew she had met him, however, had met both of them that night. Something within her told her it had been Enalius who had taken her to the dance floor and his brother who had taken her to bed. There had been a difference between the one who had teased her inexperience and the one who had not seemed to mind it. She had not known enough then to realize the switch in personalities, in souls, but she knew better now after nearly an entire season living among them.

“Soryn,” the purple male answered begrudgingly.

The smallest of smiles was given as Taurina nodded and reached for her drink. Her free hand pressed flat against the bar as she gulped down another swig of the strange drink Ann had made her. It was probably a bad idea to let alcohol have any control over her, especially after what happened with the Akalak had happened last time she had allowed herself to fall under the influence, but at the same time there was a comfort to having something for her mouth to do and the drink was readily available. It allowed her to put off coming up with something to say.

“We have missed you.” Enalius spared Taurina from having to come up with a response to the names given, but caused something tight to ball up in her stomach instead. “Soryn especially. We’d hoped you would come see a match, but you haven’t yet. Did you think about it?”

Taurina looked felt the muscles in her core tight and her cheeks burn bright as he spoke. She looked away from him, away from those eyes, and searched the shelves behind the bar as if something on them would help her. What she really wanted was a way to escape, a way to go home and go back to avoiding him. However, she knew that would not work. Even if she made an excuse to leave she would have to face him sooner or later. If he truly did miss her as much as he said, if they both did, than it was unlikely she was just going to be forgotten about.

“I did,” Taurina assured, looking back to him with an uncertain gaze, “I decided it would not be a good idea.”

A ripple of something like confusion and disappointment and maybe even hurt twisted his face before it disappeared and he leaned forward just slightly.

“Why’s that?” he asked, a bit of an edge breaking the velvet of his voice.

Taurina swallowed and sighed, slowly. How to tell him she wanted nothing more to do with him? How to tell him that it had been fun but she never wanted to see him again? No words seemed good enough. No words seemed capable of keeping him from becoming disappointed or becoming angry.

“I.. um.. I have been busy,” the Ethaefal stuttered out an excuse instead of an answer, “And I thought it better if we just kept that night a one time thing…”

Taurina
Lost in the Stars

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ripples in the Pond

Postby Taurina on June 4th, 2018, 5:23 am

Fire and steel flared in the Akalak’s golden gaze. His body seemed to tense but then quickly, perhaps forcefully, relax. Taurina shrunk away from him and coiled within herself, convinced he was moments away from lashing out at her. She did not think him wanting to hurt her, but one could never be sure of such things. She had heard that Akalak’s could be unpredictable at times when it came to matters of the heart. That their emotions ran high due to the duel souls within their bodies. Her experience with this particular male, however, had told her he was not unkind and was gentle- or at least had the potential to be. And if he truly did care about her as it seemed he did, then he would not likely strike her. Right?

“Why should we leave it at that when we obviously have some amount of chemistry? Don’t we owe it to ourselves to give this a fair shot?” Enalius questioned slowly, calmly, after a long tick of silence.

He reached out towards the hand she still had pressed against the counter surface, fingertips grazing over her scarred hand before he moved to encompass it with the warmth of his own. Taurina stared down at their hands and sighed before she pulled away, slowly as if that would soften the blow. Her gaze rose to meet his and she shook her head.

“I can’t..” she said, finally finding her feet well enough so that she could stand, “I just can’t. Not now, not with you.”

There was a look of pity and sorrow in the Ethaefal’s eyes as she backed away. Pity and sorrow because he did not truly deserve her denial. He was just as gorgeous and lovely and strong as he had been when they first met, but he still was not Azmere and she had only very recently allowed her heart the freedom to heal. She needed to let it do that and it was going to take time. She thought of telling him maybe in time there would be a chance, but it felt foolish to give him such hope. Especially when she knew, deep down, that it was false. They could never work because of what they had already done.

Enalius rose and reached for her. Gripped her wrist with a gentle, but solid grasp. He forced her to look at him and she did. She met those golden eyes and found a war battling within them. A war filled with hurt and longing and desire.

“Please.” She knew it was Soryn who spoke now. “Give me another chance. My brother means well, he is not unkind just sometimes does not know how to go about his feelings.”

The fragile barriers Taurina had put up to shield herself from the chaotic emotions swelling within her cracked when he spoke. Soryn had been kinder than his brother, sweeter. He had been the one she had truly bonded with that night and to refuse him felt like she was trespassing against whatever they had shared. Somehow it felt as though she had given him some sort of hope. As if they could have a future even though to her it had been a one night stand and a mistake. But he lived in a world where his kind frequently had to contract women to bear children for them and she had not been that. She had not been obligated to do anything for him and perhaps he had liked that, wanted it. Wanted someone to willingly care for him instead of someone just paying a debt. Taurina’s shoulders slumped and she shook her head.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized, “it is not against you or Enalius. It is me. I promise, it is all me. Don’t look for me again, I promise my answer won’t change. Move on, find another who can give you want you want.”

When Taurina pulled away Soryn released his grip on her. He only nodded to what she said and backed away. He sat back down on the barstool, looking downtrodden as he motioned for Ann to bring him something. Taurina sighed and put her payment for her drink and the dinner she had order but not gotten the chance to eat down on the bar. She moved to leave after that, but not before pausing before Soryn and placing a gentle touch on his shoulder.

“Take care of yourself,” she murmured in farewell as her hand dropped and she left the tavern.

She could have sworn those were tears she had seen forming in his eyes when she caught him watching her walk away.

~

His brother begged him to let her go because it was what she wanted, but Enalius felt the sting of Taurina’s refusal as he had felt no other thing before. It was not as though he could say that he loved her, he had never gotten the chance to, but he wanted her. He wanted the ethereal Drykas woman who had been forged from moonlight and plains grasses for his very own. He wanted her beauty, her fire, her shy and submissive nature to himself. No was not an answer he was willing to accept.

Finding out where she lived had not been especially difficult. Not when one was well connected and friends with those who spoke with shadows. It was the sneaking around that had been harder, following her without her noticing. It helped that she seemed to be blissfully unaware of her tail, but he was still careful. He still only took so many chances as he studied her and tried to figure out the best ways of getting to her.

It was during a day nearer spring’s end when he noticed something peculiar about the company she kept. They had been walking together down a street, a redhead and the Drykas woman. Laughter was in their throats and a sort of nearness that only those knit together by a bond of friendship, family, or perhaps something more shared. The second woman was no sister though, Ethaefals did not have such things from what he knew, and the way her eyes were shaped, the way she seemed to react to the various noises and scents around them.. Kelvic. Must be. Friend or perhaps even a bondmate. And the silver band around her wrist… Nakivak.

Enalius had smiled broadly as the information came to light and his plan began to take shape. Soryn was adamant that he not do what he was planning, but Enalius shoved his lighter brother to the side. This plan was going to work. He just knew that it would.

Ledger-5 SM for small drink
-6 SM for dinner meal
Total= -11 SM = -1 GM 1 SM

Taurina
Lost in the Stars

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Ripples in the Pond

Postby Ruvya on August 8th, 2018, 11:39 pm

G R A D E
Horsemanship +1
Socialization +2
Persuasion +1
Rhetoric +1
Starfire: Struggling with city life
Horsemanship: Checking for injuries
Ann Flowerheart: Bold Drykas bartender at the Blue Bull
That awkward running-into-your-one-night-stand moment
Letting a suitor down gently while staying firm
Enalius & Soryn: Akalak soul-brothers
Soryn: Kinder than his brother
If you have any questions about your grade, feel free to PM.
Ruvya
Player

Words: 40558
Joined roleplay: June 6th, 2018, 6:26 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets