Closed [The Bharani Library] Good Manners go a Long Way (Raeyn)

Velindor seeks knowledge in the Bharani library, and picks up a new acquaintance on the way

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

[The Bharani Library] Good Manners go a Long Way (Raeyn)

Postby Velindor Calendula on July 1st, 2018, 9:41 pm

20 Summer 518; 17th Bell

As Syna began to depart from the skies, descending towards the western horizon, the fog blanketing Lhavit took on a surreal hue of pink and orange, casting the grand buildings in a similar light. Velindor had finished his duties at the Catholicon for the day, and was determined to do some actual exploration of the city. He had heard, from various patients and passerby, of the magnificence of the Bharani Library, conveniently located upon the same peak as Velindor’s place of employment. Garbed in his traditional silk clothing, the Symenestra made his way through the fog in search of the grand structure. While lesser beings’ eyes had difficulty penetrating the cloudy blanket, Velindor’s vision was designed to penetrate even the murkiest depths of Kalinor. While the fog was noticeable to him, it was not quite thick enough to truly impede his navigation.

During the Dusk Rest, the streets of Lhavit were beginning to fill as the daytime workers left their posts, ceding their work to the evening shift. As such, Velindor quickly found himself awash in a river of bodies that pressed closer even than the omnipresent gloom of the fog. With a grimace, the Symenestra made use of his height and slender figure to weave through the crowd. The library should be around here, he thought, scanning the surrounding edifices for his destination. After several chimes of fruitless searching, Velindor made the decision to swallow his pride and simply ask for directions. Putting on his best fake smile, he tried to garner the attention of various passerby. But each, in turn, regarded him with either fear or suspicion, most often a mix of both. Then, following that cursory glance without fail, came the silent dismissal as the native Lhavitians went about their business.

Of course, Velindor thought with a sour taste upon his tongue, who could ever be bothered to give directions to a Symenestra? Honestly, you’d think these simpletons expect me to bite them at any moment! To be fair, he was rather famished, his stomach grumbling in protest against the strict diet Alessia had foisted upon him. Fruit or soups only. No meats, certainly not freshly killed. And, worst of all, he was allowed to eat only every third day so as to maintain the potency of his venom for Alessia’s mysterious research into the deadliest trait of any pure Symenestra. Petching woman, he thought in disgust as he rounded yet another corner, no closer whatsoever to the library.

Allowing himself a sigh of exasperation, Velindor sought out the next stranger, though the one he found appeared rather distinctive. A human with a long mane of red hair, shot through in one place with white. The man was shorter than Velindor, though this was hardly unusual, especially in Lhavit, and he carried himself with an air of confidence and composure. If Velindor didn’t know better, he would guess this human to be one of proper education and upbringing, though he supposed looks could be deceiving. Plastering the smile across his face once more, Velindor reached out to tap the man on the shoulder. “Excuse me, good sir,” he began, his voice pleasant but with the raspy undertone common to his species, “could you perhaps be so kind as to point me towards the...Bharani? Yes, the Bharani library? I seem to have taken a wrong turn or six.” At his quip, Velindor let out a small but genuine chuckle, hoping that a display of good humor would at least win him the good graces of this stranger and secure his help.

Word Count602
Threads: 0/3
Solos: 1/2
Velindor Calendula
Player

Words: 47621
Joined roleplay: July 15th, 2017, 5:45 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Raeyn on July 2nd, 2018, 10:08 am

Since the hunt of the day before Raeyn had been feeling a little shaken. A little more shaken perhaps than he had already been feeling, which in fact was pretty damn shaken.

He had heard the rumours of Zith spotted in his very hunting grounds earlier on in the season but rumours were just that; rumours. Even though he’d never question the word of one of his fellow hunters he sincerely doubted the monsters had the gall to come anywhere within sight of the city walls. Until now Raeyn really did believe in the impenetrability of his city. Lhavitians were a hardy people after all. Living so high in the mountains bread no soft men. Even Raeyn himself, a pampered and soft by comparison, still had an edge about him.

But what he had seen the day prior with his own eyes was no rumour. A Zith of flesh and blood. Obscured by the mists and casting a shadow of horror over everything in sight. The monster was a bad omen. There was trouble afoot in the city this season. Raeyn could feel it in his bones.

As a result Raeyn was finding it a little more difficult to keep up his composure the usual. A fake, albeit pleasant smile and self assured strut, weren’t quite doing it.

He had been on his way home from the library, trying to gather all the information one could of the disgracefully monstrous race, albeit to no avail. He was a little too distracted. A little too worried; and Raeyn seldom worried about anything.

It was then that an unfamiliar presence tapped on his back, giving the finely dressed alchemist a little bit of a scare. He wasn’t quite expecting to be approached, minding his own business as he usually did. Nor was he expecting to be touched. Suffice to say his reaction on the outside was a polite, albeit cold smile, and pure burning rage behind the eyes.

In this city Raeyn came to learn that no stranger was strange enough. In his 27 years of age on the mortal plane he had crossed his paths with the most unusual tourists and natives alike. Thus perhaps less than the expected amount of surprise manifested in his expression once he laid his eyes on the chuckling Symenestra.

“The library?” Raeyn’s voice echoed the question with a little surprise. The landmark to his was a point from which he navigated the city, having spent more time inside than outside it’s walls. He did give out the directions rather carelessly and without interest, not looking the stranger in the eyes. “It’s not far. At the end of this alley you’ll take a left and then follow the curve of the road which should bring you to it. You can’t miss it.”
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Words: 310107
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2018, 11:35 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Velindor Calendula on July 12th, 2018, 1:38 am

Velindor was surprised, pleasantly so, at the corresponding lack of surprise or shock the other man displayed. With the amount of open hostility he was becoming accustomed to from other Lhavitians, even indifference was a welcome change! The human’s directions, however, left the Symenestra scratching his head, running his nimble fingers through silver locks as his brow wrinkled in confusion. “Strange,” he said in accented Common, “I thought that’s where I came from. Towards the Catholicon, yes?” Perhaps he had simply misunderstood the man’s directions. “I am very new to the city, as you see,” Velindor continued as he turned a slow circle, violet eyes searching earnestly for a familiar landmark, “I don’t wish intrusion, but could you...follow?” He nodded in confirmation that that was indeed the proper word, “Yes, follow me and point it out? Your fellow citizens are...not friendly, much.”

Now that was an overstatement. Most Lhavitians Velindor had spoken to, or attempted at least, would barely give him the time of day without a signed note from Alessia confirming his request. It was growing tiresome, frustrating even! As the Sym turned to follow the man’s directions, he was pleased to see the redheaded human following along, albeit somewhat reluctantly. Or was that satisfaction Velindor saw across his face? Human emotions were difficult to read at times. Velindor smiled to himself. Fortunately for me, came his mischievous thought, I have ways of lubricating the situation. Velindor turned his face away from his temporary companion and closed his eyes for a moment, turning his focus inward. His breathing slowed even as he walked, though concentration was difficult with the ambient noise of the crowds.

Thankfully, the alley Velindor had been directed to was relatively empty, and nobody jostled or accosted him, which allowed him to focus on his djed as he reponed his eyes, looking over his shoulder to address the strange man once more. “Thank you again, for helping me,” came Velindor’s voice, now tinged with his own djed with the intent of subtly implanting the idea of helpfulness into the man’s mind. Vel had had some success with this technique before, but in a city of mages, he knew it was a risk. Alessia never forbade me from using magic, he reassured himself, although to be fair, he had never told her he was capable of it either. With a mental shrug, Velindor continued on the path specified by his human companion.

Arriving at the destination, the Symenestra frowned, crossing his arms across his chest as he surveyed his surroundings. He could see the Catholicon not far off, but nothing that immediately suggested a library. Turning around to confront the less-than-helpful human, Velindor queried, “Are you certain this is the right way?” Struggling to keep the accusatory tone to a minimum. It was only now that he took the time to notice the way his “companion” was dressed. Fine robes and a cloak, could the man be one of the many supposed mages of Lhavit? Surely such a one would know exactly where the library was, so why bother with the deception? I suppose passive aggression is still better than open aggression, if only by a slim margin, Velindor thought as he tried and likely failed to hide the sour expression he felt as he awaited an explanation from the man.
Velindor Calendula
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Raeyn on July 12th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Raeyns brow furrowed at the Symenestra’s request. It was a little odd. He was almost entirely sure he had given him the correct directions. So sure in fact that he wasn’t above taking the man there in person just to prove how right he was. Then again any reason to return to the library was good reason enough. Perhaps in company the seekers wouldn’t judge him for treating the place like a second home half the time.

“I don’t suppose I’d be met with much kindness in the bowels of whatever it is you Symenestra call a city either, never mind leaving with my life. Still, if the Shinya let you though the gates I don’t suppose you can be that bad.” He gave a moment of thought, just to ensure that what he was about to do was worth missing supper. But the stranger seemed polite enough. And indeed it seemed it was. “Come. I’m surprised. You must have walked right past it. Is blindness common among your kind?”

Seeing the Symenestra turn away from him and close his eyes, lead Raeyn to believe he may have poked a little too much fun. Not that he felt bad for it but just incase the stranger was having a bad day, he made a mental note to give him a bit of a break on the teasing. Just incase. Raeyn’s hide was very precious to him.

“Your welcome.” came Raeyn’s reply a little dumbfounded by the oddness of his new acquaintance. What he didn’t know was that it wasn’t at all his politeness that prompted him to help. Not entirely. Unaware of the delicate strings of his mind being pulled by puppeteer, Raeyn soon enough strode by his side though the Lhavit streets as it nothing was odd about it. A few passers by looked to the couple with bewilderment and fear but for the most part the journey was rather peaceful.

It turned out that following the road wasn’t quite as simple as Raeyn made it sound. The path was so very much engrained in his mind from early childhood that his body automatically made a few turn he completely forgot about. Realising his mistake he apologised for his incompetence at giving direction, a little embarrassed. Soon enough however they arrived at the destination. The red head and the man with hair as grey as steel. Quite an odd couple they made.

Before them a thing of beauty carved in Skyglass towered so tall that it’s graceful peaks poked holes in the dense cover of mist. Raeyn grabbed the man by the elbow and pulled him a little closer. Now that the library peered from the milky fog, it was temple to knowledge that stood before them.

“Wait.” only now had he realised. This was a very odd thing for him to be helping a stranger without even knowing him name. “Do we know each other? I could have sword I’ve never seen your face before.”
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Velindor Calendula on July 29th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Velindor and Raeyn were quite the odd pair. On the one hand, the tall and lanky Symenestra with ashen hair, violet eyes, and pale skin that bordered on translucence, revealing a delicate lace of ebony blood vessels just beneath to the careful observer. Just a few inches shorter, but roped in lean muscle, Raeyn’s largest contrast with Velindor was without a doubt his shock of fiery red hair shot through with a streak of white. A most curious feature, Velindor thought as he came to an intersection where he was quite certain the human had told him to take a right turn. To his credit, Raeyn seemed to realize some mistake born of long years living amongst the skyglass city and apologized to his Symenestra companion.

For his part, Velindor simply smiled. It was a cold smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes, as he still held his djed in focus. The man’s helpfulness was not entirely a product of his own brain chemistry, but being subtly pushed along by the Symenestra’s manipulations. And now, Velindor thought it was time for another push. “It’s quite alright,” came his silky smooth voice through his smiling gray lips, “you’ve been most helpful thus far. I truly appreciate it.” That was probably enough for now. Velindor enjoyed pushing the limits of his manipulative magic, but push any branch too far and, no matter how supple and compliant, it would eventually snap and potentially retaliate.

While the human wrestled with his own emotions and navigatory failure, Velindor was content to fall in just behind and to the right of his red-haired companion. As they walked, the ashen-haired Symenestra recalled something Raeyn had mentioned earlier, before he began retracing his own directions in an effort to prove Velindor wrong. Keeping the practiced and measured smile that showed just enough of his pearly white teeth to be inviting, but not enough to reveal the venomous fangs, Velindor released his grip on his djed and spoke for normal conversation. “While this may seem a...topic jump,” he grasped for the correct Common phrase, “you would likely find Kalinor quite welcoming, if a bit gloomy compared to Lhavit. We Symenestra welcome visitors and cultural exchanges. That is actually my purpose of coming to this city. Have you never heard of the Gleanings?”

It was a fair question, even embedded in a lie as it was. Male Symenestra bore suspicion and hostility from the other races for a reason, and the Gleanings were their attempt at concealing their true motivations. In Velindor’s experience, the tactic came with mixed results. So enthralled with probing Raeyn’s understanding of the Symenestran homeland, Velindor didn’t notice the human had stopped until he nearly collided with his newfound guide to the city. Before him stood a magnificent structure, reaching out of the fog like a giant stretching for the Ukalas themselves. It was here that Raeyn let his first suspicions be known. After all, it wasn’t every day someone offered to walk with a complete stranger, especially one with as dangerous a reputation as a full-blooded Symenestran male.

Keeping his smile in place, Velindor feigned a look of grave apology. “Oh, how could I have been so rude? My mother would have my head if she knew!” Bowing slightly at the waist, Velindor introduced himself. “I am Velindor, of the Calendula web of Kalinor. I’ve only been in Lhavit since the beginning of the season, so I don’t think we have met before. Will you honor me with your name, human?” His long voyage across the Suvan and the Western Ocean had caused his language skills to lapse somewhat, but Velindor hoped the message was clear that he had no ill intent towards the man.

With introductions exchanged, Velindor took the moment of awkward silence between them to assess the red-haired human once more. Flowing robes, a bag with what appeared to be books peering up from the edge. “Forgive me for assuming,” the Symenestra began, “but are you a student here in Lhavit? Perhaps you would indulge a fellow seeker of knowledge in a more thorough tour of the library?”
Velindor Calendula
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Raeyn on July 30th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Even though he had some familiarity, or at least knew of the existence of the hypnotism school of magic, it was one particularly difficult to spot. And the Symenestra was doing an astoundingly good job at picking his target. And so Raeyn didn’t notice those subtle manipulations.

The Inarta had never stepper foot in any other city than Lhavit. So native to so many thing still, was he. “I have not. Although I suppose that doesn’t come as a surprise to you. Tell me about it. What is it?” Though such things as simple conversation did not come quite so easy to the Inarta he did love to listen to stories, even if the stories made from such a being that made the back of his neck crawl with suspicion. Lying to Raeyn was easy. He had no way of confirming the truth of the Symenestra’s words. To a man who had few friends due to his solitary disposition, trusting strangers in the city was a daily thing, to an extent. After all he perceived Lhavit as safe. And since Velindor was now in Lhavit, Raeyn had little reason to think him truly that dangerous.

“My name is Raeyn.” He smiles a little awkwardly. Making new acquaintances wasn’t his strongest skill but in his experience when he smiles, handsome as he was, he put others at ease. “Is it a usual thing your kind does? Take each other’s head… I mean…”

After Velindor’s next question Raeyn paused for a moment. A moment long enough to consider so many things, seemingly crucial to him, in fact so very superfluous. “I… er… I’m just a hunter. I come here sometimes but I’m sure the seekers would do a far better job than me in giving you a tour.”
Raeyn
...and the Wind Chicken

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes