[Stone Garden] A Bit of Air [Cathan]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Hadrian on February 8th, 2011, 6:39 am

"Well, when you've finished with the remains of the tom, we can seek out a warm place that sells food if you like. I'm sure what you're wearing isn't as coldproof as the skin with which you were born. I haven't had much opportunity to talk with a Kelvic, so you can take advantage of my curiosity." He chuckled. "And I don't really know the joy of the hunt. My body was never a strong point, not compared to my mind. I often forget to eat, actually... A shaman once told me I don't live fully in my body, whatever that means.

"But I'm sure you could find a place to hide your clothes out in the Bronze Woods, change shape, and hunt to your heart's content, if that's preferable. There's enough wildlife that doesn't hibernate through winter... and plenty of predators that do, you should be safe enough. Not to imply that you can't take care of yourself."

When he thought of that, he considered the possibilities of raw materials brought to him for Maledictions. His eyes turned back to Cathan in the vespertine light.

"In fact, if you do go hunting... bring me skulls. After cleaning them, I can work magic on them. I need the practice. I could make it worth your while."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on February 9th, 2011, 12:14 am

"A warm place would be appreciated," the kelvic agreed. "The coat is not bad, but it certainly doesn't sit as tight as ones own skin." Careful the man licked his fingers, looking up to Hadrian. The other man was not small. In fact he was likely taller than the shapeshifter himself. Only the kelvic's muscles he seemed to mostly miss and Cathan was willing to bet he was a little faster than the human too.

Absently he sniffed in the mage's direction. "You do look a little meager." There was no mockery in his voice, just curiosity. "But I would not worry over it. Kendall is too and he can leak fire from his palms. Maybe magic makes weak," he added earnestly.

With little care the man started to pick up the what remained of his meal. Larger bones and chunks of offal were carefully placed in the shadow of a wall for lesser predators than the wolf to gorge on, snow got heaped over the red tingled mass his feasting had created. Faint pink flowers bloomed on white where blood soaked through the snow blanket. Cathan studied his creation a brief moment, then the tall man got to his feet, seemingly satisfied.

"I could go out the city of course," the kelvic agreed and this time he smirked, "...however I am not sure they would let me in again. This is not my first time in the city." He scratched his neck. "Nor my first cat. Though... they might not know that was me." Cathan threw the mage a thoughtful glance. "Maybe I should try."

Looking around the shapeshifter picked up his tabby colored loot from under the bush he had absently thrown it. The still drenched cat fur got carefully wrung out, rolled up and tied together, before the man stuffed it into one of his many pockets. "You mean like any skull?" A second his eyes searched the remains of the cat, but then Cathan seemed to recall that the cat's head could hardly be called clean yet. "I could do that." No reward was ask, neither did the kelvic haggle over the prize. Instead he appeared content to get something out of the deal. Whatever that was exactly.

"Where are we going?"
Cathan
Player

Words: 134817
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 4:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Hadrian on February 9th, 2011, 1:57 am

"I hope to meet your friend Kendall," he mused; he had always wished for pyromancy to be his first discipline within reimancy, but the gods had seen fit to grant him a watery nature. "And while I'm not sure magic itself makes one weak, those who study it enough to be truly good at it don't often have a lot of time to undertake activities that develop physiques... Though..."

He concentrated for about a minute in silence, long enough to seem strange, but he was gathering his djed and pouring it into his legs, feeling them tingle with more energy than they ever held naturally, pouring djed into the rest of his body too, for he had learned early on that his whole body had to be energized so that it worked as a unit.

His body erupted, and like a blur he sped around the perimeter of the Stone Garden, returning to where he had begun, only now he was wan as Leth's face, doubled over and panting for air.

"We have... our tricks... though..." he gasped out between breaths.

When he had somewhat recovered his breath, he continued.

"You should go out with... with Kendall... or even me... I suppose. Hunt to your heart's content... then return with a human... All will be well. Assuming... Kendall is a human?"

Then he remembered the previous questions and plans. "Ah, skulls, yes. Well, animal skulls. I'm not skilled enough yet for sentient creatures. And oh, we could go to the Rearing Stallion for warmth and a bit to eat and drink... if you still wish to..."

Stupid breathing.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on February 9th, 2011, 10:21 pm

"Maybe a meeting can be arranged," the Kelvic said slowly. He could not imagine Kendall would mind, but it was hard to tell. Not everyone accepted new acquaintances the way he did and his friend could be sparse with words when it came to strangers. It was not always the case and rarely when he talked to Cathan, yet it happened. There was a chance the young man might like talking about magic, again the shapeshifter was unable to tell.

When Hadrian fell silent, Cathan continued talking if only because he felt obliged to fill the spreading silent. "I figure, that balances it out. Either you do things with your head, or with your muscles." It seemed unfair someone should be able to do both equally well.

"Magic is a little strange. You never see when someone is going to use it and su-"

The unexpected movement let the Kelvic back away in an instant. Instinct sent the man to the ground in a mass of clothing and fur, a shower of light. White fangs shimmered pale in the light of the moon as the large wolf stared up to the heavy breathing man. A silent growl rumbling in the animal's chest. Golden eyes fixed on Hadrian for the fraction of a second, before they became human once more and Cathan closed his mouth. Ungainly the man started to rearrange his clothing, to fish for the boots he had lost in the transformation. He breathed out.

"Just a minute ago I was sure I could beat you in a race." Licking his lips he worked himself to his feet. "It could be useful when running away," he added, examining the other man. "Although you better get away for sure then."

The Kelvic yanked at his coat until he was able to wrap it around himself again. "Kendall is human, but when he hunts he does so out of necessity." And while Cathan did not hunt for the joy of it, he rather chased his food than buy it. "But eventually he would still come. Or I could go with you and you pick our game. Or I go more than once." Apparently he liked the idea.

"The Stallion sounds good... unless you feel too tired now."
Cathan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on February 12th, 2011, 8:53 pm

He smiled, glad that Cathan wasn't too put off by his little show of power. Of course, it seemed strange for a Kelvic, who was the product of magic, to be afraid of it, but stranger things existed in the world than such a fear. Or perhaps it would be, in that case, a healthy fear and awareness of power.

"I, uh... yeah..." He laughed shortly, but had to stop to catch his breath. "You would still probably beat me in a race. I would just... have a... well, I could surprise a person... like that. I'm not very good at it, the Flux. But... there are dangers to it... I'm trying to work around, so... so I'm more... more technique than theory.

"Shyke." He sat down for a moment to help gather himself. It was really pathetic how weak he was.

"Well, we should go out, then. Hunt. Or you can hunt and I'll... you know, practice things... If you just give me a minute, we should... we should definitely go to the Stallion. I just... startled two shifts out of you. And that... that took a lot of energy. We'll both... need some food soon, I think."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on February 12th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Flux. It was an unfamiliar word to the Kelvic, even a little exotic. Like with reimancy he had come to know a season previous, the man was not really sure what to make of it. It seemed useful sure, but Cathan had lived without magic his whole life and could not say he saw an immediate benefit in the power. No matter how wonderous it felt to him.

"I always imagined magic to be dangerous to others, first and foremost." The Kelvic watched the huffing Hadrian critically. "Might have made a mistake." His previous masters had rarely spoken about sorcery, but the times they had their voices had been filled with awe – or more often fear and ire. The breathless young man before him did not look all that fearsome Cathan found. More as if he could need a helping hand.

"If you like... I can go ahead and bring some food." Hadrian sat down and the shapeshifter followed his motion, gliding to the ground at his feet. "You do not look all that well and I might find the Stallion alone." As good as his sense of direction was out in the open, he was lacking a similar feeling for the stone fortress. The other man was right however, he felt hunger gnaw at him, now he had a moment to relax. He had hungered too often in his life to really care, yet the prospect of more to eat was even more alluring now.

"Just tell me when you want to go hunting," the Kelvic continued, scratching is growling stomach. "I wont go anywhere before spring and I think watching you practice would be interesting." The things Hadrian had shown so far had proved rather fascinating, once Cathan shrugged over the impeding feel of unease watching. He grinned. "I will make sure nothing comes to eat you and we will find a lot of heads for you to do magic on."
Cathan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on February 13th, 2011, 8:40 pm

"Well," he said, gathering his breath, "it is rather dangerous to any and all involved. The same as a sword is dangerous, or a dam. Any tool is dangerous. You're dangerous because you have paws and teeth, but that's not reason enough for me to fear or hate you."

When Cathan sat beside him, offering to go bring him food, the analytical part of his mind wondered if that was a Kelvic trait, to want to help humans, specifically magicians. After all, that was what they had been created to do. But he imagined Cathan was bonded to Kendall, whoever that was, or perhaps Kelvics could travel with human sorcerers without bonding to them. The intricacies of Kelvic behavior were interesting to him, but he didn't want Cathan to feel like an object of study.

"I appreciate the offer, Cathan," he said, smiling wearily, "but that would be rude of me. Syliras is my hometown. I should be the one showing hospitality. Besides, we would eat sooner if we both go, right?"

He stood up, a little shaky on his legs, but not as weak as a kitten quite.

"Come, we'll eat and we can talk about our future breakouts from Syliras. Certainly I could demonstrate a few things for you and... I wonder... I think I could fashion you a charm to help you lure prey when the winter is harshest and food the most difficult to find. I'm sure a hunter such as you would need no help normally, but there might come a time... extenuating circumstances..."

He leaned on the bench, waiting for Cathan to come with him.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on February 13th, 2011, 9:08 pm

"No one hates me, I do not think," the Kelvic agreed serious. "However most seem afraid enough of wolves. There are dogs bigger and cats more belligerent, but when people see a wolf out in the woods they scream and run and pull a weapon on you. It is only better in the city when you wear a collar or people actually think you a dog."

Years spend with hunting dogs and under more than three owners had taught him it was better to act like a someone's pet. Most races seemed to like dogs or at least held no particular grunge against them and Cathan saw little reason why he shouldn't do others the favor and be like one when it spared him animosity. Many seemed to like it too. Ravens and rats had adapted to live around humans and the waste left behind. So could he, couldn't he? He was not as stupid as some thought his kind to be.

When Hadrian got to his feet the shapeshifter was quick to follow. A moment only he remained close at the mage's sides as if to make sure he could actually stand on his own feet then he backed away much like an animal would, following the other man in a little distance, half to his side.

"No one offered to do some magic for me so far," Cathan admit as he watched the other man. Kendall always lit the fire at their camp, yet the Kelvic was not sure if the other man did that for him or for his own comfort. He did not really need a fire to feel comfortable after all. "I think... I would like it, eventually." Hadrian was right when he said he did not need it, yet an easier hunt did not necessarily mean a less interesting hunt.

Pushing his hands down his coat he looked around. He was not worried to follow the other man's lead. He rarely thought much ahead and the other man gave him no reason to fear him, no matter the magic he was able to weave.
Cathan
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on February 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm

"You might be surprised by human nature," he said. "Fear and hatred are usually strongly linked. Nobody wants to be dinner, and wolves are usually hunting for dinner, so... well, humans are creatures of habit and snap judgments. I wouldn't worry too much. It sounds like you know how to adapt to human society enough to get by safely."

Hadrian attempted to at least fake a strong stride so Cathan wouldn't feel like he had to support him. It certainly would have been easier to lean on the Kelvic, but he wasn't that bad off, and they weren't all that familiar yet. He did seem to be taking a natural shine to the Kelvic, though. Strange, that.

They were rapidly approaching the Stallion. Having grown up in Syliras and being quite the pathological walker, he knew how to get to places quickly.

"Well, I don't normally like to show off my magic too much, but... obviously from our encounter, I seem to trust you." He smiled a crooked half-smile, wondering at that instinctual acceptance. "So I will show you a few of my tricks, I suppose. That way you'll be able to recognize what's being done and whether it would be prudent to attack or to run." He laughed a little.

"We're almost there."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Cathan on February 13th, 2011, 9:54 pm

"Hm." He did not like the idea some people might hate him, but in the same way he was strangely indifferent about it. Cathan rarely came to loathed anyone. When the need arose he killed, but he did not despite the deer or hares he caught to sate his hunger. He did not even feel hatred toward hunters who attacked him. He would protect himself, strike back and kill an opponent when the situation called for it, but hate was a too strong word for what he felt when fighting.

"I never thought much about it," he admitted, frowning. "I believe... your people hate more than mine."

Quietly he followed along the other man. Hadrian seemed well capable of walking alone and the Kelvic kept his distance, looking around. Carefully he wrapped his coat tighter around himself as they left the stone garden. In the narrow streets and alleys of Syliras the wind was not as much an adversity as it was out in the wild where it roared unhindered over plains and just a little less harsh in woods where trees and bushes shielded one. It was still cold and Cathan was looking forward to the warm taproom of the Stallion.

At Hadrian's assertion the shapeshifter grinned a little. "I am a trustworthy creature." He tilt his head to the side. "Animals tend to be," he added with far less zeal, his eyes searching for the inn he was only vaguely familiar with. Two seasons ago he had staid at it, but he couldn't say he had paid too much attention to rooming back then.

Curiously he glanced into the other man's direction. "My guts tell me attacking one with your skills would always be a foolish move." He tilt the head to the side. "Unless you are panting like earlier. I think I might risk it then." Again the Kelvic grinned, not really looking away. He was starring, but that was something he was not aware of. "I would still be curious to see the things you call your tricks."
Cathan
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext