Yes, We Have No Rabbits (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Yarrin on February 14th, 2011, 5:16 am

The strawberry blond made a non-committal noise, shifting his weight ever so slightly to slide his bow from his back and hold it out to the younger Inarta without any particular sign of hesitation. It was a simple weapon; he’d made it himself. Unlike so many of his pieces, there were no real embellishments to the longbow. It was shorter than the average, but so was Yarrin. What stood out, or was at least telling of the bowyer’s aesthetic, was the attention to the grain of the wood. He’d chosen wood with dark grain and carved the bow so that every curve seemed somehow even more accentuated by the lines in the wood itself.

Still, the thing had a few nicks in it; the bow was used but well cared for.

Yarrin was still smiling a little at Twik’s bodily commentary. He wasn’t sure he had anything to add; he didn’t often find people enough inspiration for bows. At least, their bodies. Sometimes a good weapon required an entire personality to spawn it.

“I don’t actually consider myself that fantastic at carving artistic things unless they also have function.” He admitted this like it was somewhat shameful, though he still saw himself as an artisan, “Though I’d have to agree that a bit of flair seems to look good on a well-made bow.”

He grinned a little while adding, “Not everything I’ve made is expensive, either.”
Yarrin
Player

Words: 12965
Joined roleplay: February 3rd, 2011, 5:49 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Twik on February 18th, 2011, 5:48 am

Twik took the bow gently, and held it a moment before running her fingers lightly over the wood. It was only then that she bent to examine it.

“See here,” she said, pointing to the sweep of the grain. “This tells me that you have a respect for the wood which is a good thing. You aren’t trying to force it to do your bidding, but working together with it. One day you will make famous bows and everyone will speak your name in respectful tones. Not that I’m an expert mind you. I do work with wood myself though, making musical instruments. It’s enough to give me fits most days, although I suppose I enjoy a good fit now and again. My trouble is the reverse of yours; structural rather than artistic. It turns out that where you put the internal braces in a mandolin has everything to do with what it sounds like. But not only where you put them, but how thick they are and what their curve is like, and the all the rules change if you make one with a different shape or size. It’s a wonder any of them ever get made. I am stoic though, or at least that’s what I tell people.”

She handed the bow back to Yarrin.

“Is this the one you’re working on, or just your personal bow that’s out to accompany you?”
Twik
Player

Words: 18616
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 4:09 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Previous