[Winter Lights Festival] Chef Competition (Everyone!)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Phoenix on February 6th, 2011, 8:38 pm

The Blue Glory Competition

Dawn breaks over the mountainous ridges in the distance, casting a dim glow over all that is Skyinarta. At such an early hour, the city was normally cast in a sleepy silence, the first sounds being the eagles as they awoke and shifted in their nests. Such sounds echoed in the heavy, still air and called of morning to the slumbering inhabitants of Wind Reach.

This morning was different. As the sun steadily rose and it's bright fingers groped at the normally sleeping city, the sounds of preparation echoed off the walls of corridors. Laughter, shouted commands and especially the bustle of activity washed over the city to the very edge of the cliffs. It was the morning of the Festival of Lights. More and more often as dawn crept onward, were the children sent through out the crowds, crying announcements and reminders

"Remember, citizens! The Festival starts in the Stained Glass Gallery in LESS THAN A CANDLEMARK!"

"Here Ye! hehehehe... I mean, Listen! Wait, that's rude... YOU MUST SIGN UP IN THE GALLERY TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THE COMPETITIONS!"
"Bruno, that was rude! No need to scream, just make sure everyone can hear you."
"Yes ma'am. Sorry ma'am..... EVERYONE LISTEN! YOU MUST...."

Over enthusiastic as most of the children were, the reminder was passed along every corridor, ringing in everyones ears (and giving some headaches, if they were unfortunate enough to encounter the particularly modulation-impaired children.).

In less than two candlemarks, the doors to the kitchens would be opened; but not for breakfast. Coming from the Opening Ceremony at the Gallery, a mass of redheaded individuals gathered outside the doors, those most eager to begin the Festival with the Chef competition having snuck out early to get a front row spot. While the last preparations were set, the crowd grew until most of the able bodied members of Wind Reach were packed before the doors, jostling and laughing in anticipation.

"It's almost time, when is this going to start!"
"Momma, Tal is stepping on my foot! Make him stooooooop!"
"Shh! I hear something!"

The hush fell over the crowd like a think blanket, hundreds of pairs of eyes riveted upon the simple wooden doors that stood firmly latched before them. There was a metallic clink and an excited whisper washed through the crowed. The door swung outwards and those in the forefront had to scurry out of the way, the mass simultaneously shifting backwards to make room. Quiet settled once more as the Chef Devant stepped in the half-moon space the opening of the door had made for him. With a smile and a bow to the crowd, he propped his hands upon his vast paunch and called out in a jovial voice.

"Hello, Skyinartians! Wind Reach..ians! Citizens and Friends!" A pause, as he looked out at the happy faces and couldn't help but laugh "I see we have a wonderful turnout this morning! How delightful! Well, we will begin shortly, never fear! But first, a few rules." To the groan that rippled through the crowd, another laugh as he raised a meaty hand. "Don't worry, my friends! Even the most fun of games have rules, so listen closely.

First, the kitchens have been separated into different stations. Each station has been set up near an oven, and each has the necessary utensils already set out for your use. There is plenty of room for all, but we suggest working in groups for maximum fun-ter-tainment! However, for those who do wish to work alone, the smaller counters are bedecked for you! You may have to share your oven with thy neighbor, and utensils have also been set aside for you!

Now, each station has also been well provisioned by our lovely assistant cooks! I wanted them to parade out here on cue and set up the food portion, dressed as wind eagles wearing aprons but alas..."
Chef Devant paused once more, unable to speak further as he laughed at his own little joke. "Ah, well... Anyway. Like I was saying. Each station has a set amount of supplies. There are six different meats, ten vegetables, spices, bread flour, yeast, five different types of fruit, whipping cream and the main ingredient, "That yucky blue stuff"! I know you all know what I'm talking about. I remember having to eat some on a dare... Never again, I said! And then..well, winter hit. And we all have to eat the stuff. I know, I know. I see can see the shudders from here. I'm sure that all of Wind Reach can agree that the stuff is disgusting, yet necessary. But we all still balk, moan and groan when we see it piled upon our plates....UNTIL NOW, that is!

Each person, group or team will have until two hours prior to nightfall to create two, yes TWO, of the same dish. You may use anything that is provided for you in this here kitchen, but please, to keep the game fair and fun for everyone, don't use anything that was not initially provided! One dish will be used for the feast, the other will be used to decide the winner! Only the taste of the final product will be judged!

Now, eager competitors, we will shut the kitchen doors one final time, to bring the food from the pantry. When the doors reopen, the competition begins!"

With a rather awkward flourish of his apron (that had not the effect the Chef was going for) the man retreated back into the shadows of the kitchen as the doors swung back closed.

The Materials

Preserved Meats
  • Smoked/Salted Elk
  • Smoked/Salted Moose
  • Smoked/Salted Bear
  • Smoked/Salted Boar
  • Smoked/Salted Halibut
  • Smoked/Salted Mountain Goat

Fruits
  • Apples
  • Cherries
  • Peaches
  • Raisins
  • Elderberries

Vegetables
  • Green Peas
  • Currants
  • Mushrooms
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrots
  • Slime Beans

Other
  • Wheat Flour
  • Rye
  • Sugar
  • Yeast
  • Molasses
  • Whipping Cream
  • Marzipan
  • Vinegar
  • Milk
  • Alcohol

Spices and Seasonings
  • Angelica
  • Anise
  • Basil
  • Chives
  • Cinnamon
  • Cloves
  • Cumin
  • Fennel seed
  • Garlic
  • Ginger
  • Horseradish
  • Lemon balm
  • Liquorice root
  • Mint
  • Mustard seed
  • Nutmeg
  • Oregano
  • Parsley
  • Pepper
  • Sage
  • Salt
  • Sweet cicely
  • Thyme
  • Tarragon
  • Woodruff

The Blue Stuff
This "delicious" mold is used during the winter for emergency purposes. As you all know, it is very difficult when there are fifteen feet of snow to get supplies on and off of the mountain. It's near impossible. On more than one occasion, your PC will have eaten this emergency ration. It is literally a blue mold. It has the consistancy of mold. It can harden if left out for too long, and it is soggy, mushy, and all around disgusting when wet. However, it can be cooked but is difficult. That is part of this challenge, to include this blue mold in your dish, and make it...well, not taste like mold. Enjoy!
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Phoenix on February 9th, 2011, 12:25 am

Having over seen the preparations, it was only but a few minutes before the great wooden doors swung open and the jolly Chef re-joined the awaiting crowd.

"Let the competition begin! My apprentices and myself will be wandering around to help, if needed! Try not to burn down my kitchens!"

Stepping aside with an ushering sweep of his arm, the kitchens were open to all. The warmth from the ovens, stocked and waiting for the participants washed over the crowd, beckoning them forward.
Phoenix
The Capacity for Inspiration

Words: 782528
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2010, 3:54 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Trash Medal (1)