Blood is what links us together (Haeli)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Kelpie on February 8th, 2011, 9:14 am

Timeline: 53rd of Winter 510AV

It was a crystal clear blue day, midday to be exact, just the ripe time for the majority of the denizens to be up and about, bustling to and fro amidst the shops in the Surya Plaza and those stationed along spiraling tiers. To citizens of Lhavit, the day was young, but to Haeli and Brig it might have felt a bit odd, to have their schedules be impacted by such quirky times.

When the swamp witch had awoken from her fruitful sleep beside her bondmate, she heard a knock on her door. She hastened to dress herself in her simple garb, and what greeted her when she opened the door was the young face of a boy messenger, who bowed his head respectfully and held up a carefully folded letter. Should Haeli decide to open the letter the following was within it’s contents written in the Common tongue:

Dear proprietor of All Things Wild,

It is an honor to have someone such as yourself set up such a fascinating establishment beside the sacred Koten Temple. Perhaps one day I will pass beyond it as a familiar, and not as a stranger, but this is not the proper way to introduce myself nor my desires. I have something that is yours, and if you seek this something, I will be at the Mhakula Tea House in the evening. Come alone.

Regards,

Juo

The boy had disappeared once Haeli lifted her eyes up from the parchment, and all that greeted her was the chill wind, sending wisps of blonde hair across her cheeks.
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Haeli on March 22nd, 2011, 4:43 pm

Haeli didn’t know who Juo was. She’d never heard of his name before. But she did appreciate that the note came written in Common rather than Lhavitian, for Haeli had discovered she had virtually no talent for learning any languages other than the ones she knew already. It might have been that she was busy, or too occupied with getting All Things Wild up and running, but buried in her herbs she talked to very few people and had little use for the need to learn it.

As for what the note said, Haeli knew they were mistaken. She wasn’t missing anything so whatever this Juo had wasn’t actually something of hers. The Swamp Witch was certain of it. But as the day grew older and she thought more about it, she was indeed curious. She wanted to know what exactly the man had and she felt the need to explain to him that nothing of hers was lost or misplaced. Haeli had few possessions anyhow, and most of them were tied up in her business. Brig was accounted for, so as far as anything she valued, everything was in its proper place.

But regardless as the time grew nearer, Haeli found herself washing her face and hands, changing into a clean shift, and making the trip to the Mhakula Tea House. She felt odd the note said come alone, but she didn’t let it bother her too much. She told Brig where she was going and showed him the note. If anything bad happened, he’d find a way to get her out of it, Haeli was certain.

But she didn’t come in the evening. No, she showed up in the late afternoon, took a table for herself, and proceeded to order tea and toast which she lingered over along with a book she was writing for the library. It was on incense and how to manufacture it properly. And so she spent a leisurely afternoon translating what she knew was in her head onto paper so she could trade it for another loan out of the information repository in Lhavit.
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Kelpie on April 13th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Fortunately, Haeli didn’t have to wait too long for the arrival of the man claiming to be Juo. He was an elderly looking fellow, with graying hair and a beard several inches long, tapering to a thin point at the end. He was clad in a purple and orange robe and his face was distinguished by an onset of deep wrinkles. He looked as old as he was, and to a young woman like Haeli, it was a stark contrast.

Juo gave the swamp witch a genuine smile, and his bright blue eyes lit up in contentment. “You are Miss Haeli, correct?” The old man asked with a voice reminiscent to a soft breeze. He sat himself across from the girl and nodded his greeting to the waitress that arrived, ordering an herbal tea in the lapse between his arrival and their subsequent conversation. He began simply by folding his hands on the table, his eyes scrutinizing Haeli from every which way; her hair to her eyes, to her shoulders and her hands. It was in no way leering, as it was, instead, a man trying to discern something from her presence.

“I’m glad you got my letter, I was surprised to see you here earlier than I, and working diligently at that! You are a dedicated girl.” He chuckled softly, “I brought you here to learn more about you, as several members of the House of Twilight have inquired about your presence. I hope you will not disapprove, as we very greatly wish to know of where you hail from, and how you come to be in Lhavit?” He waited to see if she would answer, then he dug into the inner pocket of his robes and pulled out something that might have been familiar to the swamp witch.

Haeli’s heirloom, the necklace holding the symbol of the Twilight House was held aloft in Juo’s hand. He slid it across the table to her, “Do you know what this is, Haeli? Aside from being the source of Weisur‘s anger during the Midwinter Festival,” he let out another light-hearted chuckle, “Not many get their hands on such things.”
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Haeli on August 26th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Haeli studied the newcomer and smiled thoughtfully. The purple and orange robe she thought was a bit garish but then again the Lhavitians and their style of clothing was always a bit too much for her. Growing up she'd been lucky if she had new fabric for clothing once every two or three years. Here, everyone had fancy clothing. It always made her feel shabby and out of place.

"Yes, I am Haeli. I recieved your message to meet. No one has ever asked me to meet.. so I was eager to come."
The girl said, gently blowing on the ink in her book and capping her little pot and wiping her quill down. "I apologize for you catching me writing, but this is a peaceful place. It is good for such things." She added, and glanced around. She signaled the waitress, like Julian had taught her, to come over and bring more tea for him, then nodded.

"Why would they be interested? It's because of the necklace?"
She studied the necklace he displayed - her necklace - and nodded. "Oh. It has meaning to these people. I could tell at the festival. It was important to me as a child. I've always had it. Since the storm when Ozantha found me. I told him that they could have it back, keep it... that it was not worth their ire." Haeli said, looking at Juo. Then she shook her head and backed up, knowing the story was best told from start to end, not in pieces.

"In the spring of 493 AV, there was a series of terrible storms off the coast of Kalea and Falyndar. There is a place north of Falyndar and on the southwestern shore of Kalea called The Gyvaka Swamp. A Caiyha Priestess lived there, exiled from Zinrah for turning her back on Siku. Siku can be a jealous goddess, so the Dhani Priestess fled her city and moved to the Swamp. It needed a witch caretaker anyhow, and Caiyha provided. But whenever there was a storm, Ozantha - the priestess - would go down to the shore and walk the beach looking for Flotsam. Supplies were limited in the swamp so this was an important source of wood, glass, sometimes even better things - rope, nails, other metal. Only the biggest storm she'd felt in ages caused a ship to go aground off the coast. Most of the ship washed ashore. There were bodies and supplies, wood, nails, all the things that were important to Ozantha. But there was also a survivor. It was me. I was a baby. And rather than let me die, Ozantha took me home and raised me. The necklace and my swaddling cloth wwer the only things I truly owned. The ship was called The Haeli. So that's what Ozantha named me. I grew up there, raised by her, and only left after she died. I came here looking for other humans to learn from." Haeli said slowly, her storytelling voice in full swing.

She looked thoughtful. "Why was he so upset I had the necklace? I did not steal it from anyone. It's been mine for eighteen years." Haeli said. "But I was willing to let him go. It was something i thought I had of my mother. But the longer I'm alive, the less 'things' I need to be comfortable or to take comfort in." Haeli said, eyes studying the necklace. "But as for what it is, no, I have no idea... just a necklace." She said then paused as the server brought more tea, refreshing her cup and pouring one for Juo.
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Duality on November 2nd, 2011, 6:33 am

The old man sat silent for a time, letting Haeli's words come onto him slowly. He seemed to show little reaction if any, the way he just watched Haeli with curious eyes, unwavering. His head may have bobbed with the slightest of nods, though it may have been Haeli's eyes playing tricks on her than any actual movement with how small the bob seemed to be. "I remember those storms." His old voice seemed to creak out at last as Haeli finished her story.

Juo gave his own respectful bow to the server, accepting his tea gracefully. His hands cradled the warm cup for a moment, tracing the glass under his fingers as he rose it to his face. The steam wafted out from the brown drink deliciously, dancing with his nose, pulling free old memories. "Excuse me, tea has always been a weakness of mine. That may be why I asked you here, first and foremost." His voice was as warm as his smile at the last part, as though revealing a secret.

For a moment Juo let the tea just sit before his face, the same way he let the thoughts sit on his tongue. He was certain of two things: the tea before him was marvelously prepared and the girl before him was who he thought. Juo slowly sipped his tea, letting the flavor flow through him, light up his mouth. an old friend. Juo's smile widened, his eyes closed, and he looked serene for a second.

"But rather than just good tea and company, the thing I have for you is far more than just this necklace." Juo opened his eyes to peer into Haeli's, his gaze piercing and curious, trying to discern her further. "To answer your questions, I know you didn't steal it. It belongs to you. Weisur just does not realize it. For what I have for you is perhaps some insight, some knowledge to questions you may not have asked yourself for a long time if ever. I know who you are."
Duality
Everything is. And it isn't.

Words: 27620
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2011, 10:50 am
Office