Completed Unexpected Employment by an Unexpected Person

[Job Thread] Dev'Ania meets the Crone and becomes her apprentice.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Unexpected Employment by an Unexpected Person

Postby Dev'Ania on November 28th, 2018, 4:04 am

87 Fall, 518 AV

The light of the first day shone through the window of Dev’Ania’s apartment, nearly blinding her. Blinking to focus her eyesight, she climbed out from under her covers and sat on the edge of her bed, feeling the cold floor under her feet. This was only her second day in Lhavit and she planned on going to get a job. She would definitely need a steady income to live comfortably and support a possible future family.

Her first idea was to begin her own business and naturally, it would be glassworking, but Lhavit already had a great glassworking shop. With nothing else to make a successful business out of, the only other option was to find employment. Doing what and with who, she did not know. Of course, the easiest option would be to simply inquire at the Cosmos Center, but she chose not to. So after getting dressed and combing her hair, she went out to the city to seek a business that would hire her. Simultaneously, she would become acquainted with her new home.

As Dev walked through Zintia, she stopped in many shops and restaurants, but none were hiring. Each time, she was answered with either a polite ‘No’ or ‘Sorry, not at the moment’. All she could do now was wait for an opportunity to arise. The time was noon and the city began to calm for noon resting. Instead of heading home, Dev continued to explore the city.

While walking, she came across a dirt path, leading into a forest. Curious as to what it led to, she began to follow the trail. Remembering the city’s various attractions she had learned of before arriving, she recognized the forest as Alheas Park. The mid-day air swirled around her, giving her a sense of relaxation as she admired the park in all its beauty. Numerous trees, colorful plants, peaceful animals; everything thing in the park was calm and without a care.

She roamed deeper into the park, stopping constantly to view different flowers, making sure to stay on the weathered trail. Gusts of wind blowing, Dev put on the hood to her cloak, keeping her pale hair tamed and ears warm. Getting deeper into the forest, large trees began shading out the sunlight. The only light being thin rays shining through the leaves.

Somewhere in the center of the park, Dev came to a small clearing, containing a little wooden shack. It was clearly very old and rundown. The front was decorated with lit up jars and a sign. The sign was very unclear from a distance, but upon further examination, Dev interpreted the fading letters to read ‘Fortune Teller’. She walked up to the door and knocked as she slowly opened it. Walking through, a bell rang above the door.

“Hello? Is there anyone here?” Dev entered a small room, only decorated with a table.

The room smelled of a burning incense. Toward the back of the small room, there was an opening to another room decorated with hanging fabrics of various colors.

“I am in here,” called the voice of an older woman in the next room.

WC: 522

Boxcode by Allassanachassanya.
Last edited by Dev'Ania on December 11th, 2018, 7:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Words: 137250
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2018, 11:41 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Job Thread] Unexpected Employment by an Unexpected Person

Postby Dev'Ania on November 29th, 2018, 5:31 am

87 Fall, 518 AV

Sometimes people are mysteriously drawn to things. This is indeed what happened to Dev’Ania. Unsure as to why she was so drawn to the shack and now the voice, she willingly entered the archway to the other room. The voice of the unknown woman was soft and quite inviting. Entering the room, she pulled away from the colorful fabrics. Her eyes scanned the cramped room, spotting shelves stocked with different boxes and bags, a table covered with a green and gold tablecloth, and various other trinkets found in a fortune-tellers shack.

“Hello, you may sit” A woman sat at the table, an empty chair across from her. The woman wore a maroon scarf that draped over her head and around her shoulders. She was covered in jewelry that glistened in the dim light of the room. Her dark skin had a slight sheen to it. Dev sat in the seat, crossing her legs and removing the hood from her head. Laid out in front of her were a pile of tarot cards. “What brings you here today?” asked the woman.

Dev didn’t really know how to answer the question. She sat wondering why she had come inside the shack. It wasn’t because she wanted her fortune to be told. She was just simply drawn in.

“I’m n-not really sure,” Dev replied questioning herself, “I just felt the urge to come here.” Looking down, moved a wild strand of hair behind her ear, keeping it out her face. Her hands lay one on top of the other, set on the table.

“Everything happens for a reason, my dear.” She gently took Dev’Ania’s right hand and turned her palm face up. With the touch of her hand, Dev propped up her head, watching as her hand was being examined. “Hm, the shape of your hand resembles the element of water. Fitting as for you are a Konti.” Dev’s eyes dotted down as she smirked. She guessed it was the iridescent scales on her forehead that gave it away.

The woman continued scanning Dev’s hand. “This here,” she traced the line closest to the top, “is your-”

“Heartline.” Dev interrupted the fortune-teller before she could finish, and quickly apologized. “I am sorry. I know a small bit of palm reading. I will let you continue.”

“Aha. I see. It tells me that you are a seeker of love. Be warned that not all pairings are perfect, my dear.” Dev’Ania became very interested in the reading, listening to every word spoken by the woman. “Your fate line shows that you will be met with many obstacles, but you will be able to overcome them. Remember, the Universe has things in store for you.”

“What do you mean?” Dev’Ania became very curious as to what the woman meant. What is it the universe had in store for her?

“It is no matter as to what, just remember to keep faith in destiny.” The woman cupped Dev’s hands in her own, before gently placing it back on the table. “What about a tea reading?” Dev thought for a moment.

“Okay.”

WC: 515

Last edited by Dev'Ania on December 3rd, 2018, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Job Thread] Unexpected Employment by an Unexpected Person

Postby Dev'Ania on November 30th, 2018, 4:01 am

87 Fall, 518 AV

The fortune teller stood from her seat, revealing her short stature. She took a step toward the shelves on the wall next to them. She scanned the bags placed on the shelf, moving her finger on each one. She stopped at one light, linen bag. The woman picked up the bag and placed it on the table.

The woman sat back into her seat and reached down to pick up a kettle of hot tea and a teacup placed upon a saucer. The tea set was all ceramic white with elaborately designed flowers and symbols upon them. Dev’Ania continued to watch her, waiting to have her tea reading. She didn’t need it, of course, she just liked having her fortune read. Even more, she likes to be the one reading someone’s future. Ever since she had met the traveling fortune-teller while in Riverfall, she has fallen in love with the practice.

Dev readjusted herself in her seat, straightening her back, becoming more attentive to the woman. “What is your name, if I may ask?” Dev asked, in an attempt to make conversation with the woman.

The woman answered as she untied the linen bag. “Here they call me the Alheas Crone.” The bag was filled with loose, dry tea leaves. Using her fingers, the woman took a pinch of leaves and sprinkled them into the cup.

“Is that your true name?” Dev’Ania asked with curiosity. The may have had an obvious answer, but she asked anyway. There was a brief pause before the Crone answered.

Intertwining her fingers, she replied in a soft tone, “I will tell you my name, yet only with the promise that it stays within yourself.” The woman looked at Dev assertively. She meant what she said. But why did she want to remain anonymous? Maybe she would know soon, but for now, she would respect the woman’s wish.

“You have my word. I will respect your wish and keep your name for myself only.”

The Crone sat in contemplation. “Hm. I suppose so, then. You may call me Cala.” She smiled softly at Dev’Ania.

“Cala. What a beautiful name. I am Dev’Ania, it is a pleasure to meet you.”

The woman smiled at each other, before beginning the tea reading. Cala began pouring the hot water into the cup, one hand on the handle, the other securing the top. Steam streamed from the cup as the water was being poured in. Finished pouring in the water, Cala handed the cup to Dev’Ania.

“Now just drink. Careful not to drink leave, though there is no harm.” She pushed the saucer across the table. Dev took the warm cup up in her hands, feeling its warmness. The smell of fresh tea drifted into her nose, giving her a sense of calmness and relaxation. She sipped the tea through her teeth to catch any leaves. When little tea was left, she returned the cup back to Cala.

For a minute, she sat, examining the leaves. In a hushed tone, Dev’Ania asked, “What do you see?” She leaned slightly over the table to glance inside the cup.

“I see many things,” Cala said, looking up at Dev, smiling.

WC: 530

Last edited by Dev'Ania on December 3rd, 2018, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dev'Ania on December 3rd, 2018, 4:21 am

87 Fall, 518 AV

The women continued with the reading, Dev’Ania learned much about what her future had in store for her. Of course, nothing was completely set in stone. The future can change with one, tiny action. That was the amazing thing about how the universe worked.

The toll of the fourteenth bell could be heard from the tiny shack in the woods. So much time had passed by and Dev’Ania hadn’t even noticed. At the sound of the toll, she looked up to the ceiling as if something were up there. Noticing herself do the silly action looked back down with a slight giggle. She had been enjoying her time with the Crone, but she would have to leave soon.

She looked at the old woman once again studying her shiny skin.“You must have been a fortune-teller for quite a while, you are quite good at it,” Dev’Ania commented questioningly.

The woman gave a small grin before answering. “Yes. I am very old, but old age is just a record of one’s entire life.”

Dev quickly realized that she had called the woman old unintentionally. She immediately apologized for her mistake and Cala had accepted. “There is no need to apologize, young one. You have simply stated an observation you have made. I am Dhani, so I am gifted with a long life,” Cala assured. “But I am not immortal, and that is why you are here. To follow your path.”

Dev’Ania had become confused by what Cala said. She readjusted herself in her seat with a perplexed look on her face. “What do you mean be ‘my path’? I sorry, but I don’t quite understand.”

The Crone pulled her sleeve up and pointed her shoulder toward Dev. On her shoulder were the three blossoming lilies. The three marks of the Divination gnosis from the Goddess Avalis. Dev’Ania looked in awe at the woman’s marks. Involuntarily, she ran her hand over her shoulder, where she also had the first mark of Divination. A mark she was born with. Is this why she was drawn to the shack? Is this what her job was meant to be? Was she meant to be a fortune-teller? The thoughts ran through her head.

The woman now held a pipe. As she lit it, smoke emitted from it, curling in the air. She lounged in her chair, relaxed compared to Dev’Ania. Cala spoke in her soft, raspy voice. “You have many questions, but you shall not be frightened. I believe you have been chosen to follow the path to your future. As a fortune teller. As a divinist for Avalis. You are worthy of the task, young one.”

“How am I worthy? I couldn’t possibly be as good a fortune-teller as you are. What if this is the wrong path for me, Cala?” Dev’s voice began to become unsteady, but she calmed her self down in order to hold back any tears that formed in her eyes.

Cala’s voice was reassuring, “You will learn the art of fortune-telling with time. You must believe in your self, and in fate. I will be your teacher, and you, my apprentice.”

WC: 524

Last edited by Dev'Ania on December 3rd, 2018, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Dev'Ania on December 3rd, 2018, 4:24 am

87 Fall, 518 AV

The feeling of fright had passed and Dev’Ania wiped her face using the end of her cloak. She inhaled through her nose, closing her eyes, and then exhaled through her mouth, her eyes opening again. She was shocked by the revelation, that she was to be a fortune-teller. The news would have been very good to hear if it was any other day, but today, the news scared her. She had big shoes to fill, and Dev’Ania did not feel worthy of the task. “Okay,” Dev’Ania said to the old woman, “I will be your apprentice.”

“Do not be worried, my child, I will always be here to help you,” Cala replied. Dev felt even calmer and relaxed with Cala’s reassurance. She trusted Cala, despite them having met that day. The kind, mysterious old woman felt like a new mother to Dev. Not a replacement for her mother, just another mother. Dev’Ania felt safe with her. She had enjoyed being in the shack, so why wouldn’t she want to come back. How could she turn down an opportunity to come to the peaceful shack to relax, talk, and earn money from working? Every day she would be able to enjoy a walk through nature and gaze at all of the wonderful flora and fauna of Alheas Park.

Again a bell toll was heard in the distance. Time seemed to pass so fast while with Cala. After all, time does fly by fast when you are having fun. Dev’Ania gave a soft yawn, covering her pale fingers over her mouth. She was getting sleepy and needed to rest. Though she had already accepted the job, she still needed time to think about it. She couldn’t just jump right in. She had seen the three marks Cala had and knew she was a Priestess to the Goddess. It would take a lot of work to be like Cala but Dev’Ania still wanted a family and a life of her own. There had to be a way to fit starting a family and having fun once in a while in with working.

“I have enjoyed my time here greatly, but I should get going now. May I have a couple of days before I start my apprenticeship?” Dev looked to Cala.

“Yes, you may. I understand. We have much work to accomplish, though. You may find it useful to know, my shack is never seen in the same place more than once. I only reveal it when I wish to,” Cala replied. Dev’Ania was beginning to understand why she wanted to remain anonymous.

She rose from the table and waved to Cala, “I will see you soon.” Dev walked back through the covered archway to the front door of the shack. She exited the shack, closing the door behind her. Standing on the porch of the small, ragged shack, she looked at the surrounding trees before placing her hood on her head and walking back through the park. She took in everything that had happened today, humming a tune in her soprano voice, and walking home. She was unexpectantly employed by an unexpected person.

WC: 521

Dev'Ania
The Future Awaits

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Madeira Dusk on January 13th, 2019, 1:28 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Dev'Ania

Skills
  • Planning: 2xp
  • Observation: 5xp
  • Socialization: 4xp
  • Fortune Telling: 1xp

Lores
  • Palmistry: heartline
  • People: Alheas Crone
  • Socialization: respectful introduction
  • Lore of the Alheas Crone's real name
  • Lonley Shack: never is the same place twice
  • Alheas Crone: a very secretive person

Awards & Retribution

Notes
What an exciting choice of job! I hope we get to see Dev delving into it soon. :)
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)