Life Lessons

Madeira and Amelie spend time together

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Life Lessons

Postby Madeira Dusk on July 18th, 2019, 4:12 am

Madeira received the hug with a smile, rocking back on her heels with the force of it. For a very long time gratitude was the only kind of love she knew, and the feeling of it still warmed her soul even after tasting the real thing. But this childish exuberance felt so much more pure than something as sweet and empty as gratitude. With it she was able to wash away the last of her dark, lingering thoughts and bask in the happiness of her little girl.

"You're very welcome, my little fox. If you stay still, I might even be able to put it on you."

Detangling herself from her daughters embrace she set down the box and took the necklace out with two hands.

"Now you must be very careful with this. It's not a toy. Only the most special and powerful of men and women get to wear diamonds." Reaching under Amelie's hair, she fiddled with the latch of the necklace until it secured itself with a little click. The necklace was a little too big, the girl would easily be able to lift the chain over her head. But this was meant to be something the Kelvic could grow into.

Sitting back on her heels, Madeira allowed herself a self-satisfied smirk. She was right to choose that delicate blue. It made Amelie's own blue eyes sparkle. The star was not a simple choice either. If she was to grow up in Lhavit her mother was going to make sure she did so with her best foot forward. If that meant showing her cultural assimilation by parading around in the stars the Lhavitian's so loved then that was what she was going to do.

"You look beautiful, Amelie."

Brushing off her knees, Madeira stood, setting the empty box on the counter. "You've done a wonderful job again, master Li", she flashed her own most charming smile between the glass cases to the man slumped by the front door.

"Mmm", he assented around the pipe he was trying to relight.

Approaching him, Madeira fixed the collar of her dress, pulled her gloves taut across her wrists, fussing like she was ready to leave. "I'll send you the payment over carrier tomorrow", she purred almost absently, like half a hundred kina was nothing but an afterthought. "Come along, Amelie."

"Woah", the old man raised one bushy eyebrow, his guttering pipe forgotten in his mouth. "My services are paid for up front."

Madeira blinked in feigned confusion. "Is that really so unusual? When have you ever known me to skip out of your bill?"

"That's not how it works here."

"Oh, I don't keep such sums on me anymore. The streets are dangerous these days, what with the strife..." her hand fluttered worriedly over little Amelie.

"Then you may leave the piece here, and return when you feel safe", the old man retorted stubbornly, his pipe finally going out with a sour little puff.

Madeira laughed slow and lazy, keeping the tension down. Her voice turned hushed, and low, leaning forward like they had a secret. "I thought we were past such mistrust, master. You've been so good to me, have I not proved myself good to you?"

A little spark of dijed lit in the tips of her fingers, humming with their own electric current as she reached forward and plucked the matchbox out of his hand. She struck a match against the side of the box and held the flame to the dying pipe. The old man automatically sucked at the stem until the pipe renewed itself with a happy cloud of fragrant smoke. He reached to take the matches back from her, and as he did their hands touched. With that contact her soul roared forward, twisting intent into that small piece of dijed imbedded in her fingers.

Trust me, the hypnotism sang with the delicate contact of silk on skin.

"What do you say, will you forgive your best customer?", Madeira straightened, letting the contact linger a long moment as Li blinked up at her.

Her hypnotism and persuasive pressure proved to be too much for the grumpy old jewelcrafter, the notoriously steelhearted negotiator, who conceded gracelessly.

"Yes, yes, fine", he gestured exasperatedly towards the door. "I'll expect your package."

"Thank you, sir", Madeira inclined her head politely, motioning Amelie to do the same, and glided out the door, which tinkled happily at their exit.

Outside the air was still crisp, Syna falling lower across the cobblestone that it was when they had stepped inside. Emma was a few houses down, tormenting cats with her possession. Madeira took the moment of privacy to lean down to her daughter.

"I think next season I'll begin teaching you how to do that", she winked mischievously. "Where would you like to go next, little fox? We can go to the Fleeting Comet if you're hungry. Or we can go to the Opera to watch a show. The hotsprings are nearby..." she fluttered her gloved hand to imply the endless possibilities. 'It's all up to you, my darling. I want this to be your day."
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Life Lessons

Postby Amelie Craven on August 18th, 2019, 9:26 am

Amelie Craven

Amelie, still filled to the brim with excitement about her new pretty necklace, somehow managed to muster all of herself control in order to still herself long enough to for her mother to put the beautiful gift around her neck. The little kelvic beamed back at her mother, eyes darting downward every few ticks to catch a glimpse of the necklace, wanting to wear and look at it at the same time. It really was the prettiest necklace she'd ever seen.

When the adults started speaking, the little girl treated herself to a few dramatic twists that caused her dress to dance along with her, though her bright blue eyes were firmly fixed on the jewel on her chest. It was only when her ears picked up the sudden change in tone in her mother and the old man's voice that she quieted down to listen to their conversation.

The mean old man didn't want her to take the pretty necklace on, something that made her little heart drop in her chest for a moment, but as usual her mother was the hero of the story. Amelie watched as her mother used her 'polite' voice, she already knew it well, the unusually calm way she spoke, the tone pricked at her ears, far smoother than most people sounded when they spoke.

Her mommy lit the man's smokey pipe and explained how trusty she was, which to Amelie was the most obvious thing in the world, her mother was pretty and nice and clever and she bought pretty gifts, so why wouldn't the mean old man trust her? It seemed he realised how silly he was a moment later, his entire demeanor changing completely. And then they were out of the shop and Amelie still had her pretty necklace, as well as the continued amazement in her mother.

As she skipped happily along listening to her mother explain that she wanted to teach her how to make people think you're trusty, Amelie could only smile in excitement. She wanted to be like her mom, so anything her mom could show her would help. She nodded happily, but said nothing, completely phasing out as they strolled through the streets and she began noting the small stone animals outside of buildings.

There was an Okomo, like Moritz but bigger, then an owl and then another bird, with a long pointy beak, a cat, a snake, another Okomo. She wondered why no one had a cute fox, that would be here choice.

She yawned loudly, her eyes beginning to feel heavy after the long day's excitement. "I don't know mommy..." Amelie loved to sleep, but she didn't want her day with her mom to end, but she wanted to go home as show Moritz her pretty necklace too. "Can I go show Moritz my new shiny?" The thought excited her visibly.

Words: 479

Amelie Craven
Cunning Craven

Words: 23758
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2019, 12:16 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Life Lessons

Postby Madeira Dusk on September 7th, 2019, 2:40 am

Madeira smoothed her glove over Amelie's flyaway braid, tucking away the edges with a deft hand.

"Of course we can show your brother, little fox", she assured her. Though she suspected the little girl would be disappointed by Moritz's lackluster reaction. Her brother just didn't have the same appreciation for shiny things as she did. In fact, of all the people living in their house, only Madeira, Amelie and the house itself had any appreciation for beautiful things. She had to spoil her daughter more, Madeira decided right at that moment. Someone had to grow up to appreciate the finer things in their household.

Amelie yawned then; a wide, loud yawn that squeezed tears into the corners of her pretty blue eyes and revealed a set of pointy white teeth.

Automatically, with next to no conscious decision on her part, Madeira reached down and pulled the tired little girl back onto her hip to carry her. The action was so maternal, and so completely natural, that it shocked the Spiritist. There was a time not so long ago when the idea of children was just an abstract, slightly off putting expectation. She would marry a suitable man and in some nebulous conclusion continue the lineage with said man. The idea of actually being a mother to these hypothetical children never factored into it. Now here she was, unmarried, far from home with her bastard less-than-human child and caring for her in such a casual way that felt so instinctual.

It made her think that maybe, just maybe, she had it in her to be a decent mother after all.

Madeira waved Emma over. "Take us home, Em. Someone's had a busy day and needs a nap." And holding the tired Amelie close to her chest, arms aching with the weight but not willing to put the dozing little girl down, the three of them wove their way through the busy streets and back home.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous