Solo Two Truths and a Lie

Madeira and Chiona spice up their private lessons with a game

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Two Truths and a Lie

Postby Madeira Dusk on July 19th, 2019, 9:49 pm

21st of Summer, 519
"I have an idea", Madeira announced, setting the bowl of soulmist supplies down on the low coffee table with smack, rattling the eggs and disturbing a little mushroom cloud of flour.

"Hmm?" Chiona Dusk was looking out the window of the Dusk Tower's private solar, Night had blanketed the city, and from above the mountains looked to be covered in stars as street lamps illuminated the streets and candle flames shone in every window. But whether the Dusk woman was admiring the beauty or looking for a threat in the darkness Madeira couldn't say. Chiona, already in a delicate state from the brutal fall murder, seemed even more withdrawn as the stress on her family increased with the events of Summer.

"We're too wound up", she soldiered on, smoothing the wrinkles out of her wine coloured dress. "My Auristic training is going frustratingly slowly; so is your Spiritism training. As each other's private tutors you have to agree."

"My teacher must be slacking." Chiona turned away from the window and flashed Madeira a half hearted smile, and in the expression the Spiritist could see the ghost of her former humour. Madeira rewarded her with a pretty smile of her own.

"Lets start this lesson off with a game. Loosen up a bit."

"A game?"

"Yes. Two truths and a lie." Madeira lowered herself onto the couch on one side of the coffee table and motioned the older woman to sit opposite. "We each take turns saying three statements, two of which are true, the other false. The other person has to guess which is the lie."

Chiona chuckled, taking her appointed seat and rearranging her Lhavitian robes around her ankles. Her tawny eyes sparked mischievously.

"If you wanted to stave off the lessons my father is forcing us into you could have just told me. I might even have joined you. I didn't get a lot of opportunities to sneak around as a teenager."

"Hey! I really enjoy our lessons", Madeira huffed, feigning offence. "And I enjoy your company even more." She dropped her voice and glanced shyly up from under her lashes. But either the hint was too subtle or Madeira's flirting was too obtuse, for Chiona's took the compliment at face value and no further.

"You've got me, I have enjoyed these remedial lessons much more than I thought I would. You're an excellent teacher, Madeira. But then what's with this game? Seems rather juvenile."

"Not at all! This would be good practice for both of us. So, as an aorist, you can deduce if someone is lying, right?"

The laugh that barked out of the Dusk woman was completely genuine. "No! That's insane."

"Okay, fine, you can tell if what someone is saying goes against how their feeling. Is that more accurate?"

"Sure, I'll give that to you."

"Great. Now Spiritism has very little offensive power, right? So all the best spritists have to learn to bluff their way out of all kinds of situations. For example, I once had to convince a ghost that I was a animated, manufactured body with no soul so my friend would not be possessed and danced to death. Sometimes the best solution is to look a spirit in the eye and poker face your way out."

WC: 558
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Two Truths and a Lie

Postby Madeira Dusk on July 19th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Chiona's dark brows lowered over her eyes, her lips moving soundlessly for a second before finally speaking: "Was... was that a lie?"

"I wish, but no. My point is, this could be good practice for both our magics. The 'spiritist' bluffs for all their worth, and the 'aurist' susses them out."

And maybe, just maybe, she could learn more about Chiona in the process. There was something intimate about revealing facts about oneself to another person. Secretly Madeira hoped to find a way to deepen their relationship, and find a way to open Chiona up to the possibility of something more.

"That is... surprisingly clever, Madeira." Chiona smiled, for a moment looking truly delighted as she leaned forward in her seat. "I might have to borrow this method if-, I mean, when, I return to teaching."

"Perfect. I'll start", she matched Chiona's intense posture, leaning forward so the aurist could better study her expression. But what should she start with? What did she want Chiona Dusk to know about her? What could she reveal that would make her consider her in a different light? She pondered for a moment before speaking.

"I'm heir to my family", she measured out carefully, her face composed and her voice light and airy. Guileless, she reminded herself, giving her words an innocent little flick at the end. The point of the game is to act like you've never told a lie in your life. "I've been betrothed since the age of nine. I'm covered in tattoos."

Chiona's eyes were intensely focused in a way that reminded Madeira uncomfortably of the woman's father. Knowing there was something outside her control that another person could summon and read like a book was deeply unnerving. Summoning her own aura control, her left hand opened and closed reflexively as she borrowed from the power of the dijed stone. But how do you change your aura? Is it possible?

She was so focused on somehow blowing her own aura out like a candle flame that Chiona's sudden laugh made her flinch.

"Madeira, you're turning blue! Relax. Auristics doesn't work through force. Suppression is an advanced technique anyway, don't expect it to happen right away."

Madeira felt a familiar clench in her gut as the Dusk's once again demonstrated that they were only a few steps behind openly reading her mind. The silence continued for a tick longer before Chiona punctuated the air with a manicured finger.

"You have no tattoos."

"Wrong!", the spiritist suppressed the urge to sigh with relief. There might be still be some small piece of privacy in her mind. "I'm not betrothed."

Chiona narrowed her eyes suspiciously, leaning even further across the table. "What? I don't believe you!" she gestured up and down Madeira's prim and proper figure, which showed less skin than a virgin acolyte, laughing. "If it's a citizen tattoo it doesn't count!"

WC: 498
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Two Truths and a Lie

Postby Madeira Dusk on August 27th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Madeira pushed off of her low seat with a little dramatic flair, the back of her hand pressed to her forehead like she was going to faint back upon it.

"How dare you accuse me of cheating!" she laughed. "I guess I must prove it, lest my honour be sullied by your accusations!"

A slippered foot was kicked onto the coffee table between them, and Madeira began pulling up the hem of her skirt. There was a way to do this enticingly, she knew from her foray into the Red Lantern. The workers there could turn the rasp of lace over skin into something erotic, and reveal just enough skin to have patrons drop hundreds of miza's just to see the rest. If Madame was in her place there was no doubt she would have Chiona biting her lip in ticks. But for all her skills in the subtle persuasions of her words, Madeira had no such talents with her body. She tried her best, revealing the soft white skin of her leg slowly, turning her knee to the side to show the line of her thigh, and with her skirt rucked up to her hip she tried not to ruin the confident act with a flush of embarrassment.

Ringed around her upper thigh was a gold and black snake, fangs bared in a look of violence. Chiona blinked in surprise.

"Okay, that was a touch unexpected." As she was considering the tattoo Madeira saw her eyes slip to the edge of the skirt that she was holding almost scandalously high, and felt a little spark of triumph. She was looking at her! It was a small victory, but a victory none the less. "But that's hardly covered."

Reaching behind her head, Madeira smugly opened the first button at the base of her neck.

"What? No! Okay, okay, I believe you", Chiona jumped up and pulled Madeira's wrists away from her dress, laughing. "Sorry, I shouldn't have pushed it. But wow, you really don't seem like the type!"

A flash of disappointment and frustration hit Madeira, mingled with relief as Chiona pried her hands away. On one hand she thanked whatever god was listening that she wouldn't have to embarrass herself with more of her underwhelming body on display. On the other she raged that this golden opportunity to be seen by Chiona in any sort of sexual light had been snuffed out.

"The tattoo's are an index of everything I've ever loved", Madeira sighed, fastening the one open button and stepping her leg down from the table. "Seemed like a good way to keep their memories close."

Chiona sat back down as Madeira did, her finger tapping inquisitively at her lip. "I didn't know you were the family heir. Are you... what's her name... Madara's daughter?"

"No, I'm her first cousin once removed. Craven hierarchy is not based on birth, It's a bit more complicated than that", Madeira explained, covering her lie with a nice blanket of truth. There were two lies in her game; she wasn't heir to anything. At least not yet. But wouldn't that make a great match, two heirs of aligned families? "It's a lot of pressure, isn't it? Being heir. It's nice to know we're in the same boat", she nudged, trying to get her to see it too.

No such luck.

"So is it my turn?", Chiona pulled back from the conversation, crossing her legs as she rearranged her thoughts. "Okay... I'm an expert swordman, I'm an expert painter, I'm an expert politician."

She levelled Madeira with a confident smirk, showing a competitive spirit as she easily settled into the game. With a start Madeira realized she was so lost in Chiona's reaction to her truths that she had not been paying attention to these new revelations.

"Wait, wait, one tick. Say that again?" with effort she summoned her dijed forward, flexing her left hand as she did. Auristics was a passive ability, and she had to rein in her instinct to reach forward with it like she would with hypnotism. She let it settle in her eyes, not rushing like Chiona had advised, and let it all come to her. After a moment Chiona's aura became visible. It flickered around her like a flame, the most outward tongues reaching almost two meters from her body. Watching the subtle play of colours and patterns inside, she motioned for Chiona to continue. "One more time."

With a smile Chiona repeated herself slowly:

She was an expert swordsman.
She was an expert painter.
She was an expert politician.

Madeira squinted into the tossing colour of her aura, looking for a break in the pattern, a flush of feeling, anything to indicate a lie. Chiona, unable to keep a straight face, giggled behind her hand.

"Madeira, relax! You're going to go blind, forcing it like you do. Feelings are transient and easy to misinterpret, focus on the break in the patterns, not the pattern itself.

WC: 885
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Two Truths and a Lie

Postby Madeira Dusk on August 29th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Taking Chiona's advice, Madeira changed her focus. Chiona was an expert aurist, surely she knew of some way to alter her own aura, but it seemed she was keeping it in full bloom just for Madeira's sake. The young spiritist appreciated the handicap, as she struggled to make sense of the pulse of energy radiating from the woman opposite her.

She ground her right thumb into her left palm, feeling the creep of knowledge as the dijed stone leeched into her mind.

"Okay, one more time."

Chiona really did inherit her fathers smile. Like his, It made Madeira question what she was really thinking. The Aurist repeated herself slowly, giving her pupil ample time to study the flow of her aura. And there were breaks in the pattern of the light and colour. Once Madeira stopped focusing on the beat of the pattern she could find the tiny ruptures that made it more unpredictable than she first assumed. Humans were indeed complicated creatures. Now that she noticed how the pattern breaks, she questioned whether there was a pattern at all.

Stumped by the auristics, Madeira made the decision to cheat. maybe she could logic her way out of this.

Of course she was an expert politician. She was the daughter of the most terrifyingly charismatic leader and tactician Madeira had ever met, and heir to one of the most influential organizations in the city. The other two were much more difficult. She had never seen Chiona with either a sword or a paintbrush, but had to admit that between her toned body and off beat personality either could be possible.

Madeira clicked her tongue against her teeth, her Alvalad's stunted sense of logic puttering along to a conclusion.

"You... aren't a swordsman? That's the lie."

Chiona shook her head, her hair tumbling about her shoulders in silky chestnut waves.

"Wait, you're not a painter? You are a swordsman! You must be a fencer or something..." Madeira slapped her palm to her forehead, baffled to have her logic and auristics fail her so spectacularly.

Chiona laughed. "Not so! I use a Dao sword. It a single edged, front heavy sort of weapon with a more liquid, acrobatic fighting style. Keeps me safe and in shape, you know? They do lessons at the Mhakula Teahouse. I can also hold my own in hand-to-hand combat", she boasted, obviously proud.

"That's incredible."

"Thank you."

"Well, I didn't get the answer right, but that was good practice regardless", Madeira nodded, filing this new information about Chiona away for later. "I'll go again, okay? Hold on, I'm going to try and really stump you", she laughed, matching Chiona's competitive energy as best she could.

"Madeira?"

"Hmm?" Madeira looked up from where she had been contemplating her knees, wracking her brain for a new fact to drip feed the older Aurist.

"Could I... see the other tattoos?" Chiona's ears were flushed and red in the glow of the lanterns. "I know its a weird thing to ask, but now I'm terribly curious. Is that okay?"

Madeira's eyes softened, her acting gentle as she struggled to keep the satisfied wolfish grin off her face.

"Of course it's okay. I don't get to show them off very often." She got to her feet and dusted off the lap of her dress. "Could you help me with the buttons?"

"Sure", Chiona met her around the other side of the low table, and Madeira felt a little thrill to feel her cool fingers thread the buttons on the back of her neck. The small victory seemed to make the night burn a little brighter.

WC:623
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Two Truths and a Lie

Postby Madeira Dusk on August 30th, 2019, 5:05 am

Grades Awarded!

Don't forget to edit/delete your grade request!

Madeira Craven

Skills
  • Planning: 1xp
  • Seduction: 4xp
  • Subterfuge: 2xp
  • Teaching: 2xp
  • Acting: 2xp
  • Auristics: 3xp
  • Politics: 1xp
  • Logic: 1xp

Lores
  • Game: two truths and a lie
  • Auristics: cannot determine if someone is lying
  • Subterfuge: ulterior motives
  • Teaching: use of creative games
  • Acting: feigning innocence
  • Auristics: attempting to suppress ones aura
  • Acting: putting on a show
  • Seduction: striptease
  • Politics: the complexity of Craven hierarchy
  • Teaching: basic points
  • Chiona: proficent is Dao sword
  • Chiona: studies at Mhakula Teahouse
  • Chiona: proficient is hand to hand combat

Awards & Retribution
+Item gained
+Trait recieved
-Injury
-Mizas spent

Notes
Notes here.
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes