Might Be the First Time, But Wont Be the Last (Vala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Ronin on February 25th, 2011, 10:11 am

Ronin found Vala most curious. One minute she looked scared out of her mind, the next she was brutally attacking him, and then the next she was once again scared and apologizing for her actions. She was an enigma that would not be easily cracked. It was a good thing then, that Ronin loved a challenge. He began thinking about her behavior and what he had done just prior to each change. Ronin hoped that tis would provide some insight as to what had set her off in the first place.

The first change had occurred what he went to shake her hand. Ronin thought back to that moment and tried to recreate it in his mind. The only thing he could figure was that, as a unfamiliar man reaching out toward her, she had become frightened. He thought freezing as she did was a strange reaction to being frightened, but he thought it plausible and moved on. Next was the question of why she had attacked him. Why did he reaction go from being rooted to the floor to ripping out his hair? Maybe he shook her a little too hard when he tried to snapped her out of it. Ronin thought to himself. That is when Ronin realized that his mind had been wandering, and he hadn't really been paying attention to her response. Luckily it seemed like she was just starting to reply as she stammered slightly.

Ronin smiled and nodded to her when she apologized. He did not know whether she meant it or not, but at least she said it. He also considered her offer somewhat strange. Ronin had assumed that she would want to get away from him as soon as he said that she could go without him telling anyone about what happened. So an invitation to her home seemed a bit out of place with his initial conceptions about her. Maybe she really was just a normal girl, and this had all been a great big misunderstanding. For some reason Ronin still doubted that. He knew there was something strange about her, he just didn't know what is was of what caused it. Hoping to find out more about her, Ronin decided to agree to her offer.

"Alright, I will come with you. Thank you, miss..." Ronin thought for a moment. "I just realized that I never got your name. What should I call you?"

When Ronin finished speaking he walked over to where he had set his bow and quiver. He was not going to try to shake her hand again, since everything had gone wrong the last time he did that. Ronin slung his things over his shoulder and turned to face her again. If Vala had wanted to make a run for it now would have been the time. But Ronin figured she deserved at least a little faith, so he turned his back on her anyway. Besides, every friendship has to start with some small leap of faith, doesn't it?

Once Ronin had his things collected he started toward the door. "So, you gonna lead the way, or do I have to guess which room is yours?" He laughed at his own joke and made a motion with his hand. At the sign Ronin's falcon flew over and perched on his shoulder. Ronin reached up and stroked the bird's head lightly as he waited for Vala.
Ronin
The Pansy who talks like a Dandy

Words: 117946
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 3:20 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Vala on February 25th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Ronin had every right to be confused by Vala. It was less that she was bat-shit crazy, but she was just a lot more… explosive than most. She was actually surprised and caught off guard by Ronin’s forgiving nature. He was genuinely kind. Sure most Inartas were up front and blunt, but Vala still had trouble trusting a great many of them, especially since the society did, but not openly, encourage class abuse. So even as one as petty and eccentric as Vala, she was able to recognize Ronin would probably make a great friend, or at least a helpful asset.

Though Vala goes berserk over the most trivial physical contact, or any mention of a healer, she wasn’t too particular about her room or stuff. The only things that she did care about were always safely locked away in her personal chest, or as she called it: Vala’s Chest of Stuff. So it was only logical to invite Ronin over to her room, where she could try to fix his hair herself, instead of wasting money over the exorbitant prices that barbers usually charged for a simple haircut.

She looked again at her handiwork, aka Ronin’s scalp, as she walked over to pick up her bow. She chewed her already split lip guiltily, not for hurting him, but for marring his handsome features: Vala hated spoiling beauty. Vala was reluctant to mention to Ronin that it would either take a miracle or a good hat to fix and cover what she had done. A second later, a brilliant idea popped into Vala’s head, but she wanted to wait until they knew each other better before asking: what Ronin thought of a punky Mohawk.

Ronin had introduced himself during Vala’s freak out so she couldn’t quite remember what he introduced himself as. She knew it was something with an R… Robin… Roland… Rudolf… Vala decided to wing it. “Sorry, how rude of me… Randal,” Vala said his name tentatively with a placating smile. “My name’s Vala.” After plucking out the last of her arrows from the target, she curtsied sheepishly to Ronin, head bowed demurely.

Vala waited patiently for him to finish getting his stuff as well before walking out of the archery range. She flinched as she heard a flapping of wings behind her; it was just Ronin’s falcon alighting upon Ronin’s shoulder. Vala smiled apologetically, but it still looked quite angry at her. “So,” Vala’s voice cheery and conversational, as if their entire fight had never happened, “What do you do?”
Last edited by Vala on February 26th, 2011, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Ronin on February 26th, 2011, 8:26 am

Ronin turned to look at Vala and smiled. "It's Ronin. Nice guess though." He laughed and had to fight his habit of running his hand through his hair. He thought he had introduced himself already, but perhaps the whole encounter had him a little rattled. Ronin stood by the door and allowed her to go first with an over exaggerated bow. He was finally starting to get back to his usual charming self. If nothing else, the event had eased his mind about the things that had been troubling him earlier.

Her question seemed strange, not in topic but it tone. It was light and jovial like they were friends who were just having a usual chat, not like they had just been trying to kill each other. Regardless, Ronin was happy to answer.
"I am a Glassblower by profession, but I am an archer and falconer at heart. It is too bad that those things don't constitute a job unless you're an Endal."
Ronin's voice was happy on the surface, but it was tainted by his growing distaste for the caste system in Wind Reach. He knew far to many Chiet who was were better people than any Endal he had met. But his was not for him to judge and he pushed the thought from his mind.

They walked together back to Vala's room trying to attract as little attention as possible. This was easier said than done, considering Ronin's head wound and the bruises that were probably starting to show up around Vala's throat from his choke hold. They tried to stick the the darker, less used, halls as the made their way home. When they neared the common rooms Ronin decided to try to engage in further conversation.
"So what is it you do? That is, when you aren't attacking people for no reason."
His comment was obviously in jest, but his question was sincere. He had forgiven her for what had happened, but that didn't mean he wasn't going to have some fun at her expense. If they ended up becoming friends Ronin was going to have fun keeping her from forgetting about it.
Ronin

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Vala on February 26th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Vala blushed at her mistake. And yet again, Ronin forgave Vala; she was counting how many times he did. She giggled when he bowed; she brought her hands up to her cheeks in childish glee; the memory of their fight already fading from her mind.

Though Ronin sounded pleasant as he replied to Vala’s question, Vala could hear something: a negative undertone as he mentioned Endals. She made a note to be wary of mentioning Endals again. She was excited, though, at his mention of glassblowing. As another glassblower maybe he could train her a bit, but Vala remembered he was a Chiet, and then she hoped that maybe his master could take her in too instead. Vala glowed with excitement: she knew Ronin would turn out to be useful.

The few Avora and one Endal that passed the odd couple didn’t notice the obvious marks of a fight on them. It was the Chiet that noticed and whispered at the sight. Ronin didn’t seem to mind the attention, but Vala definitely started to feel anger from the stares and negative attention. It was only Ronin’s calming presence that helped Vala hold her head high, instead of thinking of ways to attack them in their sleep. She pulled up her Vinati, hoping to cover the bruises on her neck.

Just as they were nearing Vala’s room, Ronin asked, “So what is it you do? That is, when you aren’t attacking people for no reason.” Vala smiled, but she cringed at the obvious dig. She debated holding a grudge over it, but she pinched herself, a reminder that she was trying to play nice, for real this time.

Vala took out the key to her room; it took her a while to open door, her fingers fumbling against the lock. When she finally opened the door she walked in and motioned for Ronin to follow. “Well I work at the Enclave right now, but my dream is to be a master Glassworker. So uh, you can take a seat and I’ll try to find my scissors.” Vala walked to her chest of stuff, unlocking that with another key. She began rummaging through everything, leaving the door open to let light from the hall stream in, instead of bothering to light the rarely used fire pit.

She pulled out a scarf and wrapped it around her black and blue neck, and then she continued to look for her scissors. “Any ideas on how you want your hair?” Vala called out to Ronin.

Pictures of Vala's Room :
Image Image

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ronin on February 28th, 2011, 5:52 am

When Ronin and Vala reached the room Ronin was relieved. He had kept his cool as they walked, but secretly he was worried that someone would ask questions. Luckily, the fact that they were acting civilly toward each other dulled suspicious inquisition. Ronin was curious to see what Vala's room was like. You can learn a lot about how people keep the area in which they live. He wasn't an expert in determining such things, but Ronin figured now was as good a time to start trying as any.

When Vala motioned for him to enter the room, he did. Ronin was excited that he had met a fellow glassblower. Now they shared something other than being rather unskilled when it came to archery. Her job at the Enclave was also of interest to Ronin. He had always had an interest in books, but considering his vast array of other ambitions, he never had very much time to read. Ronin sat in the chair nearest to him and turned it to face Vala.

"I don't know. I don't really know what looks good with a large chuck of hair missing. You have any ideas?"

Ronin had not thought in detail about what he was going to do about his appearance. He was not a vain man, but that thought of his normally good looks being marred did not appeal to him. His sudden worry was apparent despite his attempt to mask it. Quietly, Ronin spoke again.

"Please tell me you have an idea..."
Ronin

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Vala on February 28th, 2011, 3:39 pm

“Aha” Vala exclaimed as she pulled out her toiletry kit and a pair of leather gloves. She walked over to the table, by where Ronin was sitting, and placed the kit down. She unraveled the string’s knots and rolled it out, revealing a pair of blunt scissors, blunt razor, and other miscellaneous things. “Oooo,” Vala cringed: she rarely used her scissors and razor, having never cut her hair before... or shaved....

“Please tell me you have an idea...” Ronin asked Vala nervously. Not wanting to answer the question right away, Vala pulled out two leather thongs from her pocket and tied up her hair into two high pigtails. Then she briefly touched her bruised neck, it still felt a little sore, but she’d been through worse; even the thin knife scar from half a season ago was healing nicely, it was barely visible now.

She pulled on her pair of leather gloves, to avoid further direct skin to skin contact. If she tried really hard, Vala could deal with another’s touch, as long as it was controlled. Honestly, Vala couldn’t remember why she has such an aversion to touch, she knew it was something, or somethings that happened to her long ago, but her mind had blocked it out so well, it was just a shadowy nightmare that would haunt her lonely nights.

She stepped behind Ronin, keeping an eye on his hands, gently running her gloved fingers over his shoulder length hair. Vala had only pulled out a clump of hair from the side of his head, which would make styling a little easier. “So uh, please don’t hate me, but what do you think of a mohawk? I could just trim up the sides here. I think it could make you look very fierce” Vala giggled, realizing the absurdity of it all.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ronin on February 28th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Ronin thought for a minute. He hadn't even considered a mohawk. Probably because he had never really liked them, but now, it seemed he had little other choice. The more he thought about it the less he was opposed to the idea. Finally, with a shrug, Ronin agreed.

"Sure, why not. If I don't like it, my hair will grow back in a couple months. Do you cut your own hair?"

It suddenly occurred to Ronin that he was letting someone cut his hair whose skill he was completely uncertain of. However, he was afraid to mention it. She had attacked him not long ago, and she now wielded sharp objects. So he kept quiet, he would trust that she could do the job she had offered to do. Ronin did not like the fact that he secretly feared Vala. After all, when he choose to fight back, he proved to be a much better fighter. Still, for some reason he couldn't entirely place a finger on, he was afraid of her.To calm his mind, Ronin decided to make small talk.

"So tell me more about yourself, what kind of stuff do you like?"

Ronin didn't really know what to expect in response. He had intentionally left his question vague enough that she could answer with anything. He really just wanted to know more about this mysterious person, who an hour ago he didn't even know.
Ronin

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Vala on March 2nd, 2011, 12:04 am

Ah, he caught her, and she knew it. “Well I… uh… ‘trim’ my ends every once in a while…. Ok yeah you got me.” Vala coughed apologetically, “It’s just cutting hair... how hard could it be?” As the silver shears descended, a ray of light reflected off the dull metallic face and hit Vala’s eye. She stopped to rub her eyes, suddenly realizing she had forgotten something very important. “Hold on just a second,” She said, “So sorry! I’ll be right back I promise, don’t move an inch...” Vala grabbed her scarf and was about to run out, only hesitating for a second, to wonder if he would stay; she wouldn’t blame him for just leaving - she did attack him, but she supposed the trepidation, the little turns her stomach made, she felt were just a part of trusting, of building a true friendship: the novel feeling made her smile.

Vala ran out of the room as fast as she could, her black scarf fluttering behind her. She returned a few chimes later, relieved he had stayed, breathing heavily, her black scarf wadded up in her gloved right hand. “I almost forgot to clean your wound!” Vala exclaimed between pants. “Bad enough I hurt you, but even worse if I let it get infected.” She squinted guiltily.

From years of dealing with her irrational fear of healers, Vala had invented strict procedures and regiments to follow daily, to prevent injury or sickness: to make sure she wouldn’t have to rely on any healer other than her own body and a good salve from a local herbalist. So in the instance of a minor scrape like Ronin’s, Vala knew a good cleaning was necessary and light bandaging: it wasn’t any more than a flesh wound.

She folded out a small corner of the moist cloth. “I just left to get this wet with boiling water; it should be just warm, now. I’m sorry if this hurts, but try not to flinch, it will make it easier.” Vala placed her left hand on the back of the chair and rocked on to the tips of her toes, bringing her face fairly close to the wound. She brought up her right hand with the scarf and began to gently pat the clotted wound, meticulously wiping away the blood. The flesh was a little mangled, but the area wasn’t any larger than a pinion coin: Vala’s childish hand hadn’t been big enough to cause too much damage.

“So uh, yeah, things I like? Well I really love glassblowing, its just been hard to find a proper master who’s willing to take a new apprentice. They keep telling me ‘that I have potential’ and ‘they’ll have time for me after this apprentice’...blah blah blah... but they never do. So most of my free time is usually spent hunting for a new master, or reading about glassblowing techniques at the Enclave, which is never as helpful as actually handling the real stuff.” Vala bit her lip; she had been raising her voice as she ranted. She didn’t know why she was revealing so much to the guy, but it was nice to get the stuff off her chest.

When she finished cleaning off all the blood, she draped the scarf on the chair and picked up the scissors. She quickly clipped the sides down to a short one inch, trying to be very careful around the cut. The middle she kept at a longer two to three inches. The scissors weren’t very helpful, catching every once in a while, but Vala was very gentle. “So who’s you’re master? Might he have any time or energy to take up a new apprentice?” Vala tried to interject, not quite so subtly. When every thing was trimmed, Vala picked up the razor, running its blade against the scissors a few times in an attempt to sharpen it. Then with as much care as she could muster she shaved off the sides of his head, to leave Ronin a short mohawk.

Vala bit her lip. “...so what do you think?”

Ronin :
You can finish this in your next post. Can't wait to start our thread with Fen!

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ronin on March 2nd, 2011, 5:30 am

While Vala was absent from the room Ronin sat perfectly still. He considered leaving. She didn't know where he lived and, if he avoided the enclave, Ronin thought he might be able to avoid her for a long while. However, Vala had been kind to him since the attack, and he was not one to hurt a friend. He was still afraid of her inexperience, but, after everything that had happened today, a bad haircut seemed to be rather unimportant. He had finished debating with himself long before she returned. For the remained of the time he looked around the room. It didn't appear to be anything special, in fact, it seemed almost too impersonal. The only thing that seemed to hold any evidence of who lived there was the chest in the corner. Ronin was about to get up and open it when he remember the key Vala had used to open it. Surely, she had taken it with her, and Ronin had never even tried to pick a lock.

Thinking about what might be in the chest kept Ronin occupied until Vala's return. He hadn't had the foggiest idea of what she had run off to do and seeing the dripping cloth did little to explain. Before he could even ask, Vala was explaining between sharp gasps, and before Ronin could do anything to stop her she over top of him dabbing at the wound. The first time took him by surprise and he flinched, knocking his head into her hand and causing a fierce stinging in his scalp. After that, Ronin made sure he stayed completely still. He wasn't the type to stick his hand it the fire twice. To keep his mind off his wound, Ronin listened intently to Vala as she spoke about her interests. He couldn't help but laugh at the noticeable increase in volume as her rant went on.

Before she even asked, Ronin knew where the conversation would go next. Then, as he predicted, she asked about his master. The very thing he had been trying to avoid thinking about now was thrust upon him again. If she had been looking at his face instead of his hair, she would have noticed a terrible look on his face. Luckily, he erased it before Vala would have a chance to notice.

"My master died almost a week ago. If I don't find a job like you, my life is about to get a lot worse."

Ronin bit his tongue there. He would say no more about how he thought Dek should be treated better and his opinions of the castes. His harsh tone gave ample warning to drop the subject, and, though he felt bad about it, they continued the rest of the haircut in silence.

When Vala had finished cutting and shaving and tugging at his hair, Ronin got up and walked to the nearest reflective surface. He inspected his hair for a moment before turning back toward the girl. His hair had turned out better than he expected, though that wasn't saying very much. Still, he was satisfied. She had done well for someone who had never cut hair before, and for that, he was thankful. He showed his appreciation with a soft smile and a nod of approval.

"You do good work, Vala. I thank you. Now, I must be on my way. I do hope we meet again."

With that he walked to the door. He pause momentarily there and considered returning to her and parting with a hug. Call it intuition or just dumb luck, but, for some reason he couldn't explain, he didn't. Instead he said one word before opening the door and returning home.

"Farewell."

The End
Ronin

Character sheet
Artist (1)

Postby Flicker on April 10th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Character: Ronin

Skill Experience Award: Socializing 5, Archery 1, Brawling 1.

Lores:
Pretty Faces make Company bearable
Hair cut? Nah, just rip it out
How not to help frozen women
Man Handling young ladies in a rudely murderous way
Unbelievably lightening fast forgiveness
A woman's mood swings
Some kind of crazy
Trusting an unpredictable and violent woman with a straight blade razor

Comments: Ronin, you have a pinion coin sized scar on your head that will never grow hair ever ever again. You also have an extremely crooked mohawk with a couple of random tufts of hair growing on your scalp. By summer your hair will be long enough to cut into an attractive 'do. You also left your bird on the archery range. Great job!

Character Vala

Skill XP award: Socializing 5, Archery 1, Brawling 1, Acting 2, Hair cutting 1, Healing 1

Lore Award:
People talk to animals, and it's normal
Not taking the social initiative
Target Range protocol
Prematurely judging others
Flight of Fight? Nah, freeze to disastrous results
Making a horrendous, despicable first impression
Getting clawed and bit by a frenzied falcon
Ripping a chunk of scalp off
Giving a horrible hair cut
Feeling like an idiot for knowing what a curtsy is
Remembering wounds fester
How not to sharpen metal
Sincerity opens doors
Friendship feels good

Comments: Vala has wounds on her hand from grabbing at Ronin's bird and some bruises on her neck.

If you find something I've missed or made a mistake with, feel free to communicate with me via PM or office.
For the GingieBreadHeads ...or those amongst them

Flicker
WHOA! Whatwasthat?!

Words: 59097
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2010, 3:04 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous