[Kulkukun Inn] Stranger in a strange land (OPEN)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Murdoch on February 23rd, 2011, 8:24 pm

43rd Day of Winter, 510 AV

Early Evening

After a few days' rest and as much food as he could shove in his gullet without making himself sick, Murdoch was feeling much more like his old self. As he made his way out of the back of the inn and into the main tavern area, he gave a jaunty wave to Nystir and a smile to Chell, who promptly sent over a mug of ale.

He settled down at an empty table and drew out a deck of cards he'd managed to win off one of the sailors on his trip here - old and well worn, but they were serviceable enough. He began shuffling them carefully, as if to make sure he didn't send any flying off into the night, and then dealt them out into a solitaire variant of Crows and Crosses, moving the cards around as he sipped his ale and offered a friendly nod to anyone who looked his way.
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Karl William on February 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Satisfied with the amount of meditation done in his room he inhaled deeply one last time before opening his eyes slowly and taking the time to regain his awareness of his surroundings. Not really knowing what to do or where to go, he decided he'd enjoy a cold drink and a fun conversation at the tavern downstairs.

The Kulkukun Inn had proven valuable, there were always plenty of locals and visitors alike to start conversing or debating with and the drinks and meals were great to boot. As he put on his hazel robe with the hood hanging loosely on his back he cheerfully went downstairs.

Entering the tavern area he greeted the patron and barwoman by a hand in the air and a smile before going over to them and ordering a pint. Looking around he saw familiar faces all around. Some were talking, some were laughing and some were even singing. It was a pleasant atmosphere to say the least.

Looking around with the drink in his hands and his back leaned against the counter, he spotted a man playing some sort of cardgame. The only cardgame he knew was poker and he really got into the mood for it as he thought back on the old days when he played it occasionally with his father and brother. He remembered nearly always losing but it had always been a joyful occasion nonetheless.

He walked over to the man who seemed like he was in a good mood too, nodding to whoever crossed eyes with him. As he approached the man he raised his hand again, like he was used to when greeting people.

" Hi there, I saw you were playing cards and I couldn't help but to come over to ask if you were up for a fun game of poker. "

" The name is Karl by the way. " He said as he held a hand out, accompanied by a friendly smile.
Last edited by Karl William on February 26th, 2011, 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karl William
Player

Words: 15420
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2011, 1:43 pm
Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on February 24th, 2011, 9:10 pm

It was one of those evenings, simply pleasant, when everyone would just glue their buttocks to the wooden armchair, sipping cheap beer and tirelessly confabulating about their dreary, yet jolly lives. Nothing special, not even at all.

Brian was also spending his valuable, yet not consumable in a better way, time in the Kulkukun Inn , the only place he had ever found suitable for his own littleness. Stifling tavern air didn't impede him that time, as he was calmly nearing the blotchy mug to his dried mouth.

Though it was kinda unusual to see Brian surrounded by people, and yet with no personal crowd, it was something he would do every once in a while. As it was said, it was an ordinary night, and he found it alright to enisle himself for than one time, since everything else imposed as superfluous.

Though satisfied with the his isolation, he couldn't have not noticed the friendly, smiling face sitting alone, playing some card game. Brian never really cared for cards, but he was always fond of amicable people.

Just as he was meaning to approach the card-man, someone overtook him. Another friendly foe, suggesting a game of poker. Great, poker... But, then again, they seemed interesting, and to be honest, Brian could use some new company.

"Hey, card boys, anyone fancy a beer and a third wheel?" He said as he was getting up and approaching the gentlemen, with an honest gleeful grin on his face.
Brian Gregoric
What if I say I'm not like the others?

Words: 13879
Joined roleplay: November 27th, 2010, 5:15 pm
Character sheet

Postby Murdoch on February 28th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Murdoch flipped a single card over in his hand, revealing grinning red Jackal surrounded by palm fronds. "Gentlemen!" he said, a congenial smile on his face as he flipped the card back over and shuffled it back into the deck. "Please, join me. I always prefer to play against someone else. Solitaire is an old man's game," he chuckled, gathering up the rest of the cards and shuffling them as well. Once they seated themselves, they would be able to see what the dark of the bar had hidden - the fingernails on his hands were blackened as if stained with some ink, though his skin showed no such stain. When the light hit them, they shimmered for just a moment, as if they were not simply dirty but composed of some foreign material.

He stopped the cards long enough to reach over and shake Karl's hand, and nodded to the other man who came up behind him. "Pleasure to meet you Karl. I'm Doc. And you fine gentlemen have caught me fresh off a vessel, and itching for a bit of fun on land. Please, have a seat and let's see if I can find a game we're all familiar with."

He fanned the cards out face-up, and nudged a few into full-view with a fingertip. "My apologies, gentlemen, but the only deck I have comes from Eyktol. High card is the Pressorah," he said, indicating a six-armed woman in painted scarves, "then the Scepter, the Hawk, and the Jackal," he said, showing each. "Suits are Palms, Skulls, Water, and Swords. Are we ready to play?" He gave them a few moments to assimilate the information, which was only customary - in Mizahar, there were different deck made in every region, though there were always four suits and four high cards to each suit. Most real gamblers were familiar with the different decks, but it was not uncommon in a port city such as Riverfall for people to come across new ones, and Doc was always careful to give people a chance to learn what they needed before they proceeded.

Finally he gathered the cards up once more and began shuffling them. "I've never played your game, but I've heard of it - it's similar to Blush, same rules. Let's begin the betting at five coppers, hmm?" he said with another smile as he flicked cards towards each of them and then himself.

OOCHi! Card games have different names in Mizahar, but Blush is basically the same thing as poker, so you can go forward with the same rules.
Last edited by Murdoch on March 2nd, 2011, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Karl William on March 1st, 2011, 1:26 pm

Karl sat down after greeting the other stranger aswell and accepted his offer on the matter of having a beer. He noted the others were more secretive about their names, probably unintentional, he thought. He paid careful attention to the explanation given by the man with the cards. He already forgot the order of the portraits after a minute but he didn't really care. He was here to have fun and the possibility of losing a few bronze coins didn't really affect him.

He took hold of the two cards that were dealt to him and noted he had an unsuited 7 and Hawk. Not really caring much for this kind of hand he put in the small blind since he was seated on the left of the dealer and signaled that he folded his hand. 5 bronze miza lost in the first few minutes, not a good start. But he had to smile anyway, it was a long time since he played a cardgame and it reminded him of better times back home.

Folding his arms and leaning on them casually, he waited for the duel of the 2 strangers.
Karl William
Player

Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on March 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm

Brian wasn't the happiest person in the world to find out he was expected to actually PLAY the bloody card game. The Scepter, the Hawk, the Jacker...
"What language is he speaking, dear lord...", Brian thought.
But he still decided to try and give it a shot.

He sat down with the gentlemen and took a long, good look at them over the table. Face lines on one of them were showing some kind of thoughtfulness, and the other one was smiling with a doze of charm enough to make Brian smile a bit too. But he wasn't going to do anything, he was there to play cards.

Soon after they started playing, the guy named Karl folded his arms and left Brian and the charmer finish the round. Bad cards, what else to say.
Brian was holding some cards in his hands, but he knew nothing about that.
"Well... Let me be honest here. I have never been fond of card games, and I know nothing about the rules. Thank you sir for trying to explain us the rules at the beginning, but that just wasn't enough. I admit it, I am a sort of an idiot for these games. " Brian said, ending with a short, sincere laugh and putting the cards down on the table.
"Now, excuse me for ruining the game, but I'm sure the three of us can do whole lot of other stuff and still have as much fun. What do you think? Karl? Doc?"
And he just kept smiling, waiting for the gentlemen to say something.
Brian Gregoric

Character sheet

Postby Murdoch on March 2nd, 2011, 3:56 am

Well that was the easiest ten coppers he'd ever made. Not that he couldn't likely find that much hiding in the cracks of his floorboards. It was still nice to win it.

"Ah," he scoffed, glancing to Brian as he gathered the cards up again and reshuffled, dealing just to himself and Karl this time. "I'm sure we could find something else to do, but I doubt we will. I've a tired soul and a deck of cards, and that leaves me with perilous few options," he chuckled. "But if you've a mind to stay and watch, and maybe learn a thing or two, feel free. You might also give us your name, if you're so inclined," he added with another twist of a smile and a glance to Karl that said something, the kind of look one might share with a brother when their sister was whinging for attention.

He glanced at his hand - three low palms and the Hawk and Jackal of swords - and then traded the three lowest in for different ones. "Raise to a half-silver," he said with a curious glance to Karl.
Last edited by Murdoch on March 2nd, 2011, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Karl William on March 2nd, 2011, 10:16 am

Karl frowned slightly at the glance he was given by Doc, it seemed like he was teasing Brian with his suave way of talking, who was just trying to be nice. He didn't like those kind of people usually and wasn't the type of person to approve of such behaviour, but neither was he the type of person to fight over something so minor. So he decided to quit playing the cardgame. He wouldn't enjoy it like he did with his family in the past.

" Not in the mood to play games. " He said, looking at Doc with a look in his eyes that spoke for itself. Sliding the cards back to Doc with a flick of his wrist, following by ordering a pint.

" Man, this is a great place to train isn't it? Kind people but strong, a real survivor-race in this world. "

He spoke in a friendly tone at both of them, trying to lighten the semi-serious mood he possibly created. After all, he could've misjudged Doc and he was a kinder person than Karl took him for. First impressions don't mean everything afterall.

" What do you think makes a person strong? Strength, prowess, survivability, adaptability, I don't know... I try to become strong to be able to go and stand where I want in this world. But I have a long way to go. "

" Sorry for the monologue. "

He said, laughing, as his pint arrived, the tasty alcohol instantly being gulped down by him 'till a third of the glass was gone. He wasn't a hard drinker so he doesn't ad fundum pints or try to show off, he just enjoys the taste of it and the usual fun mood in taverns.
Karl William
Player

Character sheet

Postby Brian Gregoric on March 2nd, 2011, 10:44 am

The second Doc finished his speech, Brian realized he was considered superfluous at that table, at least by Doc's. He felt a sting of discredit caused by that rude man's act, to be honest. What the hell did he think he was, after all? Where in the world did he get a right to treat him in such way for not wanting to play his stupid card game?

Then Karl spoke. In a way, Brian knew Karl had stood up for him, and he appreciated it tremendously.

After a few moments of tension, Karl began a monologue about strength of the human kind, and its importance to himself personally. Brian liked where the conversation was heading, and big questions like that one was his merit.
He turned his sight to Doc, just to see the look on his face when he realized that his little card game wasn't happening, and then joined Karl in beer-sipping and discussing the before mentioned philosophy.

"I for one cannot express proud over strong looks and body, but I also like to think that is not the strength and power required for a man's survival in the world."

He finished the sentence and took a sip of beer. After giving a long, momentous look to Doc, and then Karl, he continued.

"It's all about the mind, for every man is capable of doing things he want. But I mean REALLY want."

He was aware of the fact his all speech looked like a justification of his own weak looks, but Brian seriously meant every word he said.

"Like acting friendly? Or coming down from the clouds."
He glared at Doc, with a spark of disapproval in his eyes.

"It shouldn't be that hard, eh, Doc?"
Brian Gregoric

Character sheet

Postby Murdoch on March 2nd, 2011, 7:27 pm

Doc gave no indication at all that he'd cared a whit about Karl's reprimand, nor took offense to the other man's outright accusation of rudeness. Just an easy smile, as untouched by stress or care as it ever was. Deft fingers gathered up the abandoned cards and reshuffled them, laying them out in the patterns of Crows and Crosses once more as he continued his previously interrupted solitaire game.

"One believes that strength is to be found in the body," he said, glancing to Karl, "and the other that it is a mental faculty," he said with a flicker of a smile to the still unnamed man. "Let me speak to each of your points. Firstly," he said, lowering his voice just a hair to be sure that only these two men heard him, "this is not a survivor race. This race is dying, slowly but surely, and do not fool yourself as to how they are surviving right now. You have to have heard the stories, yes? That to be human and bear a blue child is as good as a death sentence. And yet you see many women bearing the mark of them. Now tell me truly - if you were a slaver, with a string of a dozen ripe young women to sell," he said amiably, "and you knew the Akalak had a tendency to raid slavers to 'save' their women, why would you come within a hundred miles of this city? And yet they come, and the women are rescued and pay their debt with their vagiks and their lives. Good for them, I suppose - they've found a way to keep their blood flowing a little bit longer, and I won't pass judgment on that. But I also won't call them strong for it," he said, giving Karl a friendly smile.

He turned his attention to the other man, flipping a card over and placing it in the pattern he'd laid upon the table. "And as for your statement about men having the capacity to do whatever they like - yes, I do think you're right about that," he chuckled, something a little less friendly twisting his lips at the open glare the man had given him. It smoothed out, though, and the rest of his words were delivered in such a perfectly congenial and open tone of voice that it was hard to tell at first that his words were anything but. "For instance, a man can play a game of cards by himself, and offer anyone who joins him the opportunity to play along. And when those who join him immediately decry him as rude for wanting to actually play said game, instead of recognizing themselves as rude for interrupting the game, destroying it, and then commandeering his table for their idiotic, childish ramblings on the philosophy of strength - which both of you define as the thing in which you yourselves are best at, in some egocentric flight of self-justification which isn't impressing anyone," he laughed, still as if it were all the nicest conversation in the world, "well, a man has the choice of being offended or letting it go and joining in with the conversation that he neither invited nor particularly cares for. Because that is what one does in polite company. One rises above, do they not, stranger?" he asked, grinning to him as he met his gaze. Heavy-lidded eyes watched him as his fingers continued flipping cards idly, and his smile twisted into something more satisfied. "And acting friendly. And since you seem to be patently unable to live by your own words and introduce yourself, I shall be the better man and do it for you. Because I am rising above," he chuckled, emphasizing the phrase again. "I believe your name is... Rain, yes?" he said softly, and there was a spark of some knowledge behind his gaze, an ancient knowledge greater than most men were capable of.

At the end of all that, he grinned - dazzling and dark, and revealed that his teeth were composed of the same shimmering ebony as his nail, perfectly straight and clean, dark shadows against his lips.
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Next