Completed Watching Over Me

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Watching Over Me

Postby Rohka on November 6th, 2019, 4:24 am

The night before The Quest through the portal...

The sybil rubbed her eyes, having awoken once again, in her room above The Malt House. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until she caught a glimpse of herself sitting at her table. With furrowed brows she squinted in the darkness and suddenly, the table glowed in the light of candles.

Rohka watched the woman she knew to be herself, sitting at her table and grinning, the smile stretching from ear to ear as objects suddenly started to appear before her eyes. She watched the woman scan it all, dark eyes relishing the details that the sybil in her new observer state found hard to see. She found her mind question everything, immediately.

Why am I awake? I should be getting some rest, before the journey tomorrow. I should tell myself to go back to bed. But I look excited about this, I feel like I need to be there. Am I preparing for the journey? That should be the only reason I’m awake right now.

But if I am over there… then who am I over here?

The sybil’s state clicked in her mind’s eye. A terror fell over her instantly, watching herself now standing over a large, black cauldron, with contents she couldn’t see from her vantage point watching over the woman now laughing with joy. A part of her calmed down a bit, seeing herself so oddly excited over the mysterious table now filling with items of all sorts.

Is this a dream? Am I not her?

Dark eyes looked up and stared deeply into the watcher, her head tilting with a smile that seemed too knowing to be strange.

She sees me. I see me. She knows more than I do.

A chuckle escaped her lips as they stared at each other. It was like looking into a reflection and seeing someone you know is you, while the reflection goes on to change in ways you knew you weren’t changing. Watching her reflection standing above the cauldron and completely at ease made the watcher feel comforted, as if the existence of the reflection served to show her something she couldn’t see without her.

That was when she saw the sybil pull a ring off her finger.

Tanroa's 5th Chime Ring.

Observing it filled Rohka with panic and fury and yet she couldn’t make herself prevent her from doing what she did next. The sybil dropped it into the brewing cauldron while she whistled in a maddeningly nonchalant fashion. Observing herself now became torturous.

“She gave that to me because she wanted to escape the consequences,” said Rohka, speaking of her employer while looking up at her observer. “She changed me, when she used it. Who knows how many she's changed, thus far?”

Her smile widened in tandem with her large, dark eyes. “I refuse to let this boon become a burden to me nor my family. Shall I try to bind a part of us to this essence?”

Was it insanity that glinted across her face when she sliced her palm open with a knife, or was it glee? The blood trickled into a vial that was then promptly plopped into the bubbling brew.

A being versed in healing and medicine would know that the sybil’s blood type was the kind that could be given to anyone, to replace their own. But if she ever lost blood, only those of her own blood type could save her. Such knowledge was unknown to Rohka. Would it ever become known?

Gurgles erupted from the cauldron, catching the young woman’s attention. She watched as she picked up her Lheroa cards next and tossed them all into the brew.

I get it now. I will help.

WC = 613
Last edited by Rohka on November 6th, 2019, 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Watching Over Me

Postby Rohka on November 6th, 2019, 4:26 am

Rhysol had tasked them with finding out what caused the activation of portals. Rohka had very little idea of what that would entail, but she knew that she needed to use everything she had at her disposal in order to find out the truths of this wondrous phenomenon. The sybil was no master fortune teller, nor a mage, nor did she have the abilities of a marked Konti. What she did have was her cards passed down to her from her great grandmother’s family. The cards were worn in, with wear and tear from over the years, and a story lost to time. Her childhood had been one of equal parts work and play, with the story of these cards being reduced to no more than a cherished collection of symbols hand painted and drawn by a woman with a special connection to the world of the divine. Rohka knew not what this world looked like. However, if anything could help her scavenge for answers, these cards were the only item she trusted.

“The path of the divine is something I have never known. I’ve never asked. I never had the need. Well, I need to know now. I need to help our lord, our saviour.” A sparkling glass was picked up from the table and the liquid poured in from high above, the pure water adding to the volume of the contents within. In her mind, the water came from The Source itself, though ‘what’ that was, she knew not. Was it the river of time? Was it from the Ukalas? Was it from the magic of Lake Ravok? Or perhaps it was just purely the djed of water. Whatever it was, watching this and observing herself so full of conviction made her feel proud. This was a woman she knew she could believe in. A woman she could trust.

Rohka’s eyes closed for a tick and her watcher’s world went dark.

A growing fear crept into her mind as the complete lack of light and presence of mind combined to increase the intensity of her attention. Nothingness gave way to the static of colour shifting in the darkness with simultaneously zero and infinite focus points. There was a beauty in it, a meditative spaciousness it in, even, perhaps, a whole separate world in it.

Her mind calmed when she found a peculiar pinpoint of black. It’s location swirled and whirled and disappeared and reappeared but it was traceable, knowable…

...lovable?

The thought sprang the world back into view, Rohka’s eyes open, holding a dagger. This was an item she’d never seen. A part of her wondered why it looked familiar. Like she knew it existed.

Rohka didn’t have the ability to look into the future. If she did, she would’ve realized that this was the dagger she would purchase from Thorin’s forge the next day. Thorin would conveniently forget to tell her the origin of the dagger, but would be more than glad to have it off his hands.

Gullible, that sybil was.

She held the dagger now and dropped it into the brew along with a black mask. Plain, generic concealment. A relief settled in while the cauldron made its sounds of transformation.

The sounds were soothing enough for the watcher to fall back into the world of deep, renewing sleep.

Rohka
Item: Tanroa’s 5th Chime Ring
Ingredients: Rokha’s Blood

At the bottom of the cauldron, once the bubbling brew receded, lay the 5th Chime Ring. The first time Rokha slides it onto her finger, the ring is going to meld with her flesh, vanish, and the abilities inherent in the ring will become an ability inherent in her own body independent of the ring. Where the ring did exist, a small birthmark looking liver spot on Rohka’s finger will remain in the shape of Tanroa’s symbol of an hourglass.

Rohka
Item: Lheroa cards
Ingredients: Pure Water

At the bottom of the cauldron, once the bubbling brew receded, Rohka’s deck of cards lay in pristine condition. These cards, she will find, are now completely waterproof. Rain and snow, even steam, will bead up on them and leave them untouched and undamaged. In addition, if she has a pot or vessel of impure water, Rohka can now slide a card into the vessel (provided the opening is big enough and the vessel will hold the card) and the water will be instantly purified.

Rohka
Item: Assassin's Dagger
Ingredient: A black Mask

At the bottom of the cauldron, once the bubbling brew receded, the assassin’s dagger will remain relatively untouched. However, once picked up, Rohka will immediately be filled with the knowledge that the dagger can and will appear to be anything of relatively similar size. That means, if she wills it, the dagger will take on the appearance of a stemmed flower, a fork, a screw driver, or even a fancy quill pen. Appearances can be deceiving. Regardless of how it ‘appears’ to everyone else, it will still feel like a dagger in Rohka’s hands and its effectiveness as a weapon remains the same. This means that if Rokha wills it to be a small beautiful bundle of daisies roughly the size and shape of the dagger, she can still plunge those daises into someone’s unsuspecting heart and kill them.

She awoke the next day, eager and ready to head to the temple. When she went to wash her face and hands, something about the ring she wore was bothering her. She took the plain metal band off her finger and stared at it. Nothing looked different, nothing seemed to be wrong with it. The sybil wiped it down on her chemise and washed her hands before deciding to put it back on, figuring that she may've just imagined the discomfort.

She wrapped her hair into two braids first before picking up the ring again. Rohka felt an odd nervousness creep along the middle of her spine. She mentally shrugged it off as the beginnings of her excitement over heading to the temple to begin their journey. Without another thought, the sybil gently slipped the ring back onto her right hand's finger. Suddenly, the metal began to shift.

"What?"

The ring started to meld into her skin. In less than a couple ticks, the ring disappeared.

In its place, was a mark.

An hourglass.
Most active on weekends.
Rohka
So?

Words: 428949
Joined roleplay: May 24th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes