Completed A different kind of love

Shiress gives birth to her baby

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

A different kind of love

Postby Ambrosia Alar on November 7th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Broken. Ambrosia could think of no better word for Shiress in this moment. Normally, Shiress was so calm and collected, and there was a part of her, even now, that still was. But there was something wrong. Ambrosia could feel it. Perhaps it was just the physical pain of labor, but Ambrosia didn’t think that was it, certainly not all of it. For nearly a month before the stabbing, there had been all sorts of discussions about a name, and though one had never been decided on, the way Shiress called it ‘the baby’ sounded so distanced, as if it were a thing and not a living being. It was as if she knew something she wasn’t telling them, but Ambrosia didn’t know what that was.

All she could do was her part, so she listened to Shiress’ instructions and prepared for what was to come. Everything they needed was close at hand, the string and the knife like Shiress had asked for and something soft and warm to bundle the baby in.

Then, Ambrosia was waiting terrified between Shiress’ legs, and all she could think was that she hoped this never happened to her. While Shiress had been excited about the child, it all culminated in this. Here, between Shiress’ legs, all Ambrosia could do was look at Shiress’ swollen belly and know that anything that could make it swell that much would not be able to fit through the narrow though dilated opening before her. It was impossible, but Shiress had asked Ambrosia to be here for this.

And then Shiress cried and strained, and Ambrosia was certain of one thing. She couldn’t do this, never mind Shiress. The sound of pain, pure unadulterated pain, ripped at her from Shiress’ throat, and Ambrosia felt about as helpless as she ever had. She wanted to run. She wanted to be away. Shiress needed her though. Ambrosia didn’t want to be needed. All Ambrosia could think about was that she wanted to be back in a bar among people whose greatest need was the filling of an empty mug. She wanted to be in a place where she knew what to do, a place where she could be the center of attention, if she so chose.

Ambrosia was ready, ready to run. She wasn’t strong, not the way others were. She had her little place of comfort making other comfortable, but this was asking too much. She was ready to run, but then, something changed. As Shiress pushed, a scent filled the air, a scent unlike anything Ambrosia had ever experienced, something she couldn’t describe. It was at once pleasant and not. Ambrosia couldn’t decide if she liked it, but she latched on to it, buried herself in its comfort.

It was tinged metallic with blood, but that was only part of it. Interspersed with that and overpowering it with ease was something that was so wholly this, something all Shiress, something entirely birth, unique to it in a way Ambrosia found things seldom could be. It was both pungent and sweet and something else Ambrosia couldn’t place. Whatever it was, Ambrosia focused on it, and it gave her mind something to think about other than Shiress’ pain. Perhaps she was too immersed in it. Perhaps she should have offered more words of comfort and encouragement. But she was there, and she was stoic.

She didn’t know how much time passed as they waited for the child, but to her it felt like an eternity. She couldn’t imagine what it was like for Shiress. Time passed though, and the impossible became real as Shiress’ flesh stretched to accommodate the dark-haired head of her baby. Everything happened as Shiress said it would. The head came, and then, the shoulders, flesh stretching beyond anything it should have been able to, and Ambrosia hurt for Shiress, a tingle of imagined pain deep inside of her pelvis. And then, the baby was out entirely. Terrified she would do something wrong, Ambrosia gave Shiress no smile or congratulations as she tied the cord in two places with all the efficiency and emotion of a machine, but as she cut the cord and handed the child off she noticed one thing. It had parts she didn’t.

“It’s a boy.”

And as she finally spoke for the first time in a bell, relief flooded her with an exhaustion that filled her to the deepest parts of her body and her soul. She turned to Shiress and smiled, but her friend was turned away., away from her and away from the baby.

“Don’t worry, Shiress. Cas and Taalviel will take good care of him and get him cleaned up.” She could hear water gently streaming over the baby behind her. “What’s his name?”

She needed some noise, some sound, whether or not it was her own or someone else’s as she cleaned up the afterbirth Shiress had said would come, but as soon as the words left her mouth silence took over again except for the murmurings between the siblings. Now, the silence was as potent as the scent that now soaked her hands and would doubtlessly stay for weeks on end. It was unlike Shiress to be so quiet, but after what she’d just been through, Ambrosia didn’t blame her. Adjusting pillows so Shiress could sit more comfortably, Ambrosia tried to think of something to say or some noise to make to fill the silence.

Aren’t babies usually louder?

That was the only thought that came to mind, but fortunately for Shiress’ heart, Ambrosia didn’t voice it. She waited din the awkward silence until Taalviel brought the boy over and practically forced him into Shiress’ arms.

Peering down at the little face that peeked out with eyes closed from the blanket, Ambrosia’s heart lightened. She cooed at the baby. “Hello, little love. Aren’t you handsome? You probably get it from your mother.” The next thought was ridiculous as the baby was covered except his face, but it sounded like the thing to say in the continued silence. “Oh, look! He has my thumbs.”

Several things happened at once. The baby cried. Caspian took one look at them, then went out the door. Shiress didn’t move, at first, as if she didn’t believe the noise had come from her baby boy. For a moment in time, Ambrosia wished they had never found her. The two of them, Shiress and Caspian, had been content without her, and now, in a moment that should have been filled with joy, they were not.

WC=1,092
Ambrosia Alar
"The kid's got smiles for days."

Words: 242735
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (2)
Mizahar Mentor (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Donor (1)

A different kind of love

Postby Shiress on November 7th, 2020, 11:22 pm

"It's a boy."

Shiress squeezed her eyes closed harder if that were possible.

She had a son—a baby boy.

"Oh Gods" she whined in a barely audible whisper, completely consumed with happiness and despair all at once. "Oh Gods, help me."

Shiress was aware of Ambrosia speaking. She could hear Cassy and Tavi whispering close to one another, but she couldn't speak, even in the wake of Ambrosia's question.

A name? She should give the baby a name, but the one she had chosen was borne on love and hope and expectation of a vibrant, beautiful, and an alive baby. Somehow, as absurd as it may have been, Shiress didn't want to give the name to a dead child, not when so much happiness and excitement had come from picking it. So, Shiress said nothing, and silence fell around her but snorted a soft laugh at Rosie's attempt at humor.

What followed felt like an eternity of dark and foreboding quietness, and Shiress breathed and was just there. Existing. Breathing. Existing. Breathing.

Footsteps crossed the floor, coming in her direction. They stopped and a gentle weight pressed against her chest. By instinct, Shiress's hand came up to support the swaddled baby, as Taalviel's hand fell away. And then a sound. A soft gasp and tiny squeal that...that almost sounded...Shiress felt the tiny body in her arms move. Just a gentle shift, but it had been there. Her eyes snapped downward toward the baby, gaze searching his tiny, pink face, and she saw it. A minute thing. A minuscule wobble of the baby's bottom lip.

Driven by pure instinct and no small part of adrenaline, Shiress sat bolt upright, any discomfort or pain so far away at this moment that it hadn't even registered. She shifted the baby around in front of her and, with a deft movement of her hand, slid her finger in between the baby's lips, swiping mucus and blood, clearing his airway. Pulling the blanket free, Shiress scraped a fingernail down the inside of a little foot, then thumped it. Hard.

With a startled gasp, the little boy let out an indignant squawk that far surpassed the earlier outcry. Shiress did too.

Oh, how her heart soared at the sound.

Nimble fingers investigated every inch of her son, searching, looking, making sure every toe, and every finger was there. Shiress took inventory of every line, every crease, every wrinkle, and freckle. She smoothed her fingers down exceptionally long, dark hair, a wrinkled nose, a puckered and trembling chin, all while the baby boy screamed his injustice. Shiress was in awe of him. Her son.

Lifting her gaze, she met Ambrosia's, and the smile Shiress gave the other woman could have lit up Ravok on a moonless night. Shiress vibrated with joy.

"I thought he was...I thought he would be stillborn. I hadn't felt him move since the attack. I..." her gaze dropped to the baby, whose knees had drawn up, and tiny hands were fisted close to his chest. He continued to wail into the room. "I thought he had died."

Shiress wrapped the blanket back around her son before tugging an arm free of her tunic and shifting the babe, who immediately latched onto a breast. Suddenly, the room fell very quiet, saved the suckling sounds and happy grunts of a nursing baby.

"Ian Zaniah Caldera." she said, then lifted her eyes. "I'll call him Ian."

It was then when Taalviel came back through the door that she noticed they had even left, but the look on the girl's face stayed Shiress's tongue, but just for a tick.

"Where's Caspian?" she asked.

Tavi looked as if she wouldn't answer, then reluctantly mumbled. "He needs a chime to himself."

Shiress frowned. "Is he okay?" she said, but Taalviel remained silent.

"Here." Shiress held out a now content and sleeping Ian to Ambrosia. "Can you lay him down on my cot?"

Once Ambrosia took the bundle, Shiress made to stand up.

"What the petch are you doing?"

Shiress grunted, nothing of the previous misery remaining, and smiled at the girl. "I had a baby, I'm not dying. Help me up."

Once Shiress was up -and after a brief standstill for the room to realign itself- Tavi and Ambro helped her clean herself up and redress.

"Now where are you going?" Tavi asked, hands on hips, as Shiress reached for the door.

"To see Caspian." Shiress replied, eyebrow raised in challenge. Whether or not Taalviel would help her shuffle out the door and find her friend was on her, but Shi wanted to see him. She needed to make sure he was okay because something in his sister's face worried her. But it wasn't until she spied the thief, sitting alone at the water's edge, his hands covering his face, that she knew she had been right to worry.

"Caspian?" Shiress called, her voice breathless. Sweat peppered her forehead, and her stance was slightly leaning, but she took a step closer, nevertheless, worried for her friend.

"Cassy, what's wrong?"
Beautiful Boxcode Credit: Rohka
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

A different kind of love

Postby Caspian on November 17th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Emerging from the planes of light that burn and blind is Shiress, hair loose down her shoulders and whipping in the wind – a vision come either to salvage or slay, his overworked mind can’t quite figure. Hastily, he scrubs at his eyes with the back of his hands – grimaces as his soaked sleeves drag against his bare skin. Undoubtedly he looks horrendous; likely, he smells even worse.

“Petch, Shiress, shouldn’t you be – I don’t know, lying down?” he blurts out, alarmed to see her on both feet when he can barely sit upon the shore without tipping over.

It’s a fair question, asking him what’s wrong. The thing is – he rather knows the answer, or at least half of it, and the other half’s still something like a chimerical hurricane of fury and regret and his lingering incapability to accept the things he cannot change.

And so he finds himself looking away, and back out onto the water, jaw locked against the blasphemy that would dare spill forth.

It’s a tiresome thing, to have to rethink and explain, when he himself can barely stand it all.

“You’re okay, right?” he asks, but that question seems pointless, when between the two of them he can clearly see who’s on the floor. And it’s not her fault but – to be honest, he resents her asking after him. As if she will always from now on see him as the one made of glass. Because that’s how Taalviel looked at him just moments before, isn’t it? And Taalviel – everyone can guess what ails and rattles him, but his sister truly knows. “You – you have a plan, right?” The words escape him with an acerbic edge that even takes him by surprise. He turns sharply back to Shiress, hand over his eyes to look at her past the light. “Because - and this may come as a surprise to you – I verily sincerely wholeheartedly don’t.” His voice rises in pitch and he struggles to his feet, swaying unsteadily, the winds threatening to blow him over. “You know this is it, right? We’re done with Ravok – no, it’s done with us, it’s made that petching loud and clear.”

A shadow lingers by the cottage door. Arms crossed and silently watching is Taalviel. Rosie must be inside somewhere, still with the baby – and with how hysterical he had just become, she must have heard him too. Face burning at having suddenly revealed so much of himself, a self that feels like the amalgamation and manifestation of all the rot that had settled in his sinews since last winter, he turns away again from Shiress in shame.

“I’m sorry,” he says, softer and hoarsely. “I think I – I just need a moment. I – I’ll meet you all back inside, alright?” He takes a few paces, hunches against what feels against his bones like brittle cold. “…I’m really glad you’re safe, Shiress. And I’m grateful. For everything. Cross my heart.”

He walks down the shoreline, doesn’t stray too far, Taalviel’s dark eyes upon him as he goes.
    x
    Caspian
    Player

Words: 718261
    Joined roleplay: August 12th, 2018, 11:26 pm
    Race: Human, Mixed
    Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Medals: 4
    Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
    Overlored (1)

A different kind of love

Postby Shiress on November 19th, 2020, 1:47 am

Your Grades!

SHIRESS
    Skills
    Begging 1XP
    Teaching 3XP

Notes
    Thank you both so very much for being a part of this with Shiress <3 I couldn't ask for better friends for myself or Shiress. If I have missed anything, please let me know.

CASPIAN

Skills
    Observation 4XP
    Wilderness Survival 1XP
    Cooking 1XP
    Medicine 3XP
    Brawling 1XP

Lores
    Taalviel is not a figment of Caspian's imagination
    Wilderness Survival - Fire Starting
    Cooking - Boiling Water
    Medicine - Keeping a Newborn Warm
    Medicine - Newborn's first bath
    Childbirth - Lots of screaming
    Brawling - Shoving
    There’s no coming back from murder

AMBROSIA

Skills
    Observation 3XP
    Medicine 3XP
    Mathmatics 1XP
    Intimidation 1XP
    Pursuation 3XP

Lores
    Shiress's Birth - first foray into medicine
    Medicine - The closer the labor pains, the closer the baby
    Medicine - Counting time between contractions
    Medicine - Supporting a baby's head during childbirth
    Medicine - Tieing off and cutting an umbilical cord
    Childbirth isn't pretty
    Taalviel - steady and confident
    Shiress's baby is a boy

Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
    Shiress
    Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
    Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
    Character sheet
    Storyteller secrets
    Medals: 7
    Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
    Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
    Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Previous