[Godiva's] Inhibitions (Kavala - Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Godiva's] Inhibitions (Kavala - Open)

Postby Evarette Karmine on December 9th, 2009, 5:12 am

Winter - Day 12 - Year 509 AV

The opaline sky gave way to spangling sunshine and a scattering of small clouds scudding slowly across the pale cobalt expanse above. Sprawled beneath the rhapsody of the spangling day, lay Godiva's Refuge. Though the day dawned bright and beautiful, it was still wrapped in winter's wrath. The temperature was frigid, yet the breeze that curled around the the buildings was mild in strength. A little ways off from the main grouping of buildings, lay the stables. A silvery, lilting tune floated out from within, it's trill spilled through the whistling lips of one hard at work. From inside, sunlight filtered in through the slats of the outermost stall wall, igniting the dust motes spiraling aimlessly through the air. The streams of golden light fell splayed across the straw-laden floor of the stall, gilding the two figures within.

Evarette sat bent over one of Ivar's great forelegs, held aloft between her knees with his hoof upended to face her. Sweat glistened across her brow, despite the bleak weather. A stone had managed to work it's way deep into Ivar' hoof, near the frog. It was a sharp one, and when Ivar had struck it, his full weight had struck it deep. Fretting that Ivar's foot would be undoubtedly bruised from the trauma, Evarette wielded a pick over her steed's hoof. Diligently prying the stone loose without causing anymore trauma was proving to be more difficult than she'd planned...She whistled a melody, in part to soothe Ivar's qualms over having his foot uncomfortably hoisted for so long, and in part to bide the time as she worked.

Unquestionably, this would delay their departure from Riverfall city. Evarette frowned as she considered this problem for the hundredth time. There were still many resources to check in and around the city, people who may have seen her brother...Yes, there was still much to do, here. But such work was easier to commit to with Ivar beneath her, carrying her effortlessly from place to place.

Finally, the stone tumbled free, followed by a sigh of relief from Evarette. She released Ivar's foreleg, and he lowered it tenderly to the stall floor. "Ach, Ivar...I'm afraid we have a few days rest before that's well enough to walk on." Evarette clucked her tongue as Ivar leaned experimentally on the foot, and flinched. "Can't take my word for it, can you?" She grinned softly, and bent to pluck a curry brush from the stall floor.
Evarette Karmine
My Heart is True as Steel

Words: 62165
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2009, 4:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: [Godiva's] Inhibitions (Kavala - Open)

Postby Kavala on December 9th, 2009, 11:51 am

It was a lovely morning, one in which that Syna liberated the city from its water borne mists earlier than usual. It promised to be warmer than the winter kissed days usual were. It called to the konti, who sometimes found the city walls restrictive. Kavala slipped into the stable early, figuring she'd have some time alone with Windsong, dressed in her heavy winter cloak for her breath still showed even in the promise of a warmer day. The buckskin was taking to the stable better than she expected, but then again, no horse truly liked standing in a snowstorm or being out in the chilled rain of winter. That was why the Drykas kept their animals in large pavilions when the weather grew too oppressive for the weakest or most valuable of them.

Kavala slipped through the large double doors and spotted the black stallion standing in the aisle, Evarette working with his hoof. She could tell by the way the woman dug a stone out and the horse lowered the leg gingerly that he'd worked a good stone into it. The konti moved carefully down the aisle, and called a soft greeting to the pair as well as the stallion she'd come to visit.

"A bright and beautiful morning isn't it? I see I'm not the only one Syna's presence in the sky has lured out to make an early morning of it. They haven't even called the breakfast bell yet. It's still a good forty chimes away."
Kavala said walking up to stand beside Evarette. "He worked a stone into his hoof? Would you... like me to help it along a bit? I have none of Avalis' marks like most of my sisters have, but Rek'keli hasn't looked unfavorably on me.. and a bruise shouldn't be much to take care of." The pale woman said, glancing up at the stallion even as she reached down, kneeling, to touch his hoof. Her hand glowed momentarily, the tale-tell sign of a konti healer working her magic, and the soreness of the bruise vanished. "It's not a really handy skill in battle or where there's blood for I'm not that knowledgeable, but bruises are another story." Kavala said gently, carefully to rise only slowly without otherwise touching the great creature.

"It's too fine of a morning to stay inside. I was going to take Wind out to have a good run. Your lad should feel better now... would you like to join us? Getting out seems to do them a world of good when they have to lounge in this stone barn all day. One would think this city would have some decent grass, no?"
She said with an inviting smile. "I really do not like to ride alone these day."
Last edited by Kavala on December 10th, 2009, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Evarette Karmine on December 9th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Kavala's appearance was not surprising, given their location...but Evarette was genuinely glad to see her. She was the one familiar face--aside Kotoki--in the throng of strangers filling this city. "Greeting,s Kavala. Yes, you're right, the day is beautiful...but I'm afraid I'd be up in a blizzard at this hour. I've always been an early riser" Eva explained with a smile, her shoulders rising and faling in a shrug before she began to whisk the curry brush over Ivar's back.

As Kavala elaborated on her healing skills, Evarette glanced from the approaching woman to her mount curiously. "Yes, he picked up quite the nasty stone..." She trailed off as Kavala knelt down before Ivar, and placed a hand on his foreleg. It was uneccessary, however. Ivar was not jumpy around Kavala as he was around the stable hands. Evarette gawked in amazement as the woman placed her hand, a faint glow pulsing from the contact. She'd heard stories...Blinking, and struggling to erase the amazement from her features less she appear rude, Evarette stuttered her gratitude..."I, well...Wow, I didn't know...how did you--?" she swallowed, shaking her head with a small spurt of laughter directed at her own foolishness. "I appreciate it, Kavala. Ivar does too, I'm sure." She tossed a glance over her shoulder, watching Ivar bend his great neck to snuffle his hoof where Kavala had touched it. He whickered softly, as though contemplating. Evarette grinned widely.

"We would love to join you."
Evarette Karmine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on December 10th, 2009, 5:01 am

Kavala straightened and met Evarette's eyes. "You know healing is no secret art. Tis' something anyone can know. It is about faith, which is a powerful thing that comes from within. It be a lot like love and anger, but much more intangible. I'm a follower of Rek'keli, for all that I was born on the Sea of Grass, like I suspect you were. Knowing her is not so hard, for she has a generous heart to those that agree to heal without conditions." The konti said softly, blinking a moment before she offered a smile. She wanted to ask Evarette if she had faith, if there was someone she looked to for guidance. But it was a very personal question, one she felt she had no place to ask yet.

Kavala opened her mouth to speak, to say something else, then closed it again, laughing softly. There was a question in her eyes, but it was one she didn't ask. "I... am sorry. I just... I'm not very good with people sometimes. But Rek'keli's mark changes people sometimes. I know its changed me. It is almost as if it makes you see the wounds that are there, regardless of it they are physical or not. You... seem hurt somehow, like all the women here, though I do not see any bruises." Kavala said gently, wishing for a moment that she had a konti gift of knowing things.

Instead she smiled, turned away, and moved to the small stone stall that Wind called his temporary home. "Your horse is beautiful. I've never seen his breed before. I've lived all my life on the Grass, born to my families Pavilion, and we were surrounded by Striders." Kavala picked up a curry comb and a rough brush, and gave Evarette a smile. "I know I do not look Drykas, but I am, through and through." Her hand reached up to stroke the buckskin's neck. "When my mother died, I went to Mura for a year... to learn a little about the Konti. On my way home, someone stretched a tripwire across a washout that looked perfect from a horses back for dropping down a ridge. Windsong hit it knee high, and went down... I thought he snapped his foreleg... it's funny what you worry about most even when your getting flung off a horses back. I don't remember what happened afterwards, but I woke in a cage a while later. I wouldn't be here, now, without the help of the Akalak. I would be a slave in the hands of the Zith... or more likely dead." The konti swallowed hard, turned, and studied Evarette.

"Tis likely that I'm here to stay. I owe them a debt I need to repay before I return home."
The pale woman said, sounding young somehow, as she poke her words softly. Then she turned and slung Windsong's harness on. Like most of the Drykas, she did not use a headstall nor a saddle on the horse. Instead, he wore what equated to a girth and a breast collar. It had a grip that fit over his whithers and held the 'Yvas' in place. It almost looked like the type of thing vaulters used on their draft horses, though it was more functional than naught. The horses could free themselves from them if they got separated from their riders, and did not have tack to entrap or tangle them when they were running loose. The yvas had ring tethers on it for handling a set of wither bags and a waterskin and was decorated in knotwork beading that identified her as part of the Denusk Pavilion. They were a family of warrior sages that dwelled among the Drykas. It would be odd to have one that was a healer, though not unheard of.

"Where would you like to ride? In the deep grass, the coastal forest, or down on the shore?"
She asked softly, her bright blue eyes curious and vulnerable after all she'd revealed to Evarette. She hadn't told her details, but the other woman could fill in the blanks easily enough.
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evarette Karmine on December 10th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Evrette grinned softly over the back of her mount, her eyes on the brush in her hand as she whisked the dust from Ivar's coat. "I've never though to try my hand at healing...Faith was, well...it was not one of my father's favorite lessons, we'll put it that way. I do pray..." she trailed off, uncertain as to how to elaborate n that one. Yes, she prayed...but to who? It was something she'd almost credited as a habit...for though her father never expounded his views on religion, she'd crept up upon his whispered prayers enough to know he was a man of faith. Naturally, Evarette did her best to take after him.

Kavala's remarks on Ivar jarred her out of her reverie, and she tossed the pale-haired woman a glance over one shoulder. "Ivar belonged to my brother...my father brought him home as a foal after one of his long trips. When my brother left...he left Ivar. I suspect he wanted him to look after me...I can think of no other reason he listens to me so well," A crooked, half smile slid across Evarette's features, and she shrugged. There was a twinge of shame that writhed within Evarette whenever she considered her inability to impress a stryder. For that reason alone, she was still not more than a child amongst her people...a child with a foreign companion, one that did not even belong to her.

Evarette soaked in Kavala's tale in silence, searching the other woman's eyes with empathetic depths of sapphire. Oh, how lucky she herself was to never have been delivered a taste of those slave caravans...When Kavala's story wound gradually to a close, Evarette noted the way her voice chimed more childlike, with a hopeless quality to it that no doubt came from being soaked in the memories of her trials. It was fortunate indeed the city of Riverfall had been here to aid Kavala and the other women who'd been saved. The knowledge of such actions kindled a newfound respect within Evarette for the city and it's inhabitants.

Listening to the list of places Kavala was opting to ride, the mention of the shore piqued Eva's interest. She'd never seen the ocean, having grown up in a sea of grass. "I'd love to see the shore...I've yet to imagine a body of water so great, and to see it first hand would no doubt help my imagination," she smiled, a genuine flash of exuberance, moving to guide Ivar from the hall. She rarely used tack, and today was no exception to that rule.
Evarette Karmine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on December 12th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Kavala nodded and turned Windsong loose from his box after finishing his grooming and what tacking up there was. The little stallion was dwarfed next to the bigger one for all that he was a good fifteen and a half hands himself. He was the color of the sand they would be riding across, and like some of the striders he had black points that turned to striping on his knees and hocks. A deep bl ack dorsal strip ran down his back and spilled into a splash of thick black color in his otherwise creamy tail. His mane was a delightfully mixed mess of color that was all braided in individual braids tipped with glass beads. The truth was, when Kavala got him back safe and sound without the tripwire having done much damage, she'd stood there for hours braiding his mane and telling him how grateful she was that he'd followed her and later been there when the Akalak had raided.

Kavala nodded at Evarette's remarks about riding on the shore. "The coast it is then." She said, grabbing the handle-like grip at the top of Windsongs yvas and swinging onto his bare back. "We'll have to ride to the top, then cut across a trail that leads to the sand. It's a little bit of a ride with a downhill towards the end, but it should be easy enough." The konti said, nudging Wind with her heels and asking him to walk out. The little stallion shook his head, tossed it, pranced a minute, then settled into a sedate walk - glad to be out of the barn.

"You said you thought your brother left him for you... to take care of you. I wonder, if you found him yet? The day we met you said you were looking. It seems to me if you didn't want to draw attention to yourself, you wouldn't ride a Nightwalker. They are mostly horses for knights and warriors, otherwise people would remember you since they are so rare. It could be another reason he left Ivar with you."
Kavala said gently, not wanting to imply that Evarette's brother was nefarious in any way... instead she simply wondered if he wasn't practical. Nightwalkers drew more than attention. They drew thieves.

The ride out of Godivas and to the top of Riverfall was incredibly scenic. They could ride side-by-side most of the way, but in some places they had to cut the horses up wide stairways and ramps until they reached the top. They passed businesses carved into the very stone itself, houses that perched like lone twisted oaks on the side of the ridge. They wove by people walking in the streets, people peddling wares from carts, and always they climbed or descended depending on where they were... slowly working their way up and out.

Once they reached the top of the street they were riding up, the road opened up to a wide lookout with a few benches placed. Only one was occupied. There was plenty of room for the horses to stand and look over the ledge to the city and sea below and yet still be protected by a waist high wall that discouraged people from going over the edge. Kavala paused and turned Wind to face the sea. They could see the roar of the falls plunging below them and the beautiful sapphire of the Suvan Sea stretching out forever. It was a painfully beautiful blue that caused the white stone of the city buildings to shine even brighter. There was no doubt Riverfall was a lovely place... an unusual place.

"You don't see views like this on The Sea of Grass do you?"
Kavala said softly, pausing long enough at the lookout for Evarette to see her fill.

Then she kept moving, passing by a large facility on the edge of town that was under construction. "Tis my new place... the city is funding me opening a clinic and stables here. One's for the healing of animals, ones for horses since there are no places strangers or citizens can buy horses in the city." The building looked like a giant square one story property. It had a gate on one end where Evarette could see a courtyard. What looked like one-time workshops were being renovated into stalls that all opened into the courtyard. At the far end the building turned into a two story affair that looked to be a big enough space for a clinic and someone to live above it. Though equipment and tools were laid out, there was no one at work. "Tis the day they rest in Riverfall... which is why I am not there working as well. Wind needs a run anyhow, and I'm tired of looking for good help. People here... do not know much about horses or animals. I'm to hire two assistants, which would be great if we were a profession of warriors or scholars, for they are smart here as well. But when it comes to either of the other, my luck hasn't been so good." Kavala said with a slightly discouraged smile as she rode past the place.

They cut around its back, and headed into the tropical foliage on the far side of a field that flanked one end of the business. The path turned out to be a wagon road and Kavala gestured. "Shall we let them run a bit? It's mostly down hill, but gradual on this part. We'll be at the sand in about twenty minutes if we do. It' would be faster, but dropping down so far so fast tisn't good for the wagons." She explained.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evarette Karmine on December 14th, 2009, 5:46 am

Hauling herself atop Ivar's broad back, Evarette steadied herself as Ivar danced after Kavala and Windsong, marveling at the spring in the Nightwalker's step. It was as though he'd never been lame in the first place. Striding out into the sunlight, Evarette blinked against the spangling brightness as she drew level with Kavala in time to hear her regards concerning her brother. Several moments of silence hovered between them as she considered the wisdom behind the other woman's words...It very well could be that some one meant her brother harm, and for that reason he'd left Ivar behind. Perhaps she had it all wrong...Could it be that Dorian had left Ivar under her protection, instead of the other way around? Evarette's brows were drawn together as she frowned over this consideration..."Well," she bid Kavala a sideways glance, her shoulders rising and falling in an irresolute shrug, "if he is in trouble...if he and Da both are in trouble...it'll make it that much harder to find him."

The miles fell away. As absorbed in her thoughts as she'd become since Kavala had passed along her insight, Evarette could not pull her eyes from the throngs of locals. She laughed at a giggling pair of children, both clutching one another's hands as they scurried alongside the horses, their bright eyes gleaming as they bubbled questions out so fast that Evarette could do nothing but smile and wave tentatively in return. Ivar bobbed his head, but maintained his even stride, rolling an occasional eye in the direction of a passing fruit vendor. When they reached the roadside ledge that dropped away over an expansive view of the beautiful city, Evarette stared on...awestruck. "There is so much to take in...I've never seen the like before," she murmured, breathless and grinning from ear to ear.

They returned to the path, the gentle sway of their mounts carrying them past the construction of Kavala's new livelihood. Evarette's brows shot up with interest, her sapphire eyes combing over the cluster of buildings as she listened to Kavala unravel the details. "I've seen you in action now, Kavala, and I have to admit its just...perfect!" She shook her head in admiration, one hand trailing absently down to stroke Ivar's withers. How wonderful it would be, to find one's calling...She studied the buildings once again, lying in wait for the trade that would in due time be flourishing among them. Perhaps...She hushed the thought, tucking it aside for a later date, another discussion.

Evarette brightened at Kavala's suggestion...Ivar danced beneath her, the surging power lurking beneath his sleek, black pelt quivering with restraint, his ears flitting back as Evarette placed a steadying hand on his neck. "I think it's just what they need!" It took no further encouragement. Ivar broke into a ground-eating lope, one that quickly accelerated into a thundering gallop. Her hands clutched thick braids looped into Ivar's mane, and Evarette unleashed a whoop a sheer joy and exhilaration, glancing over one shoulder for Kavala and her mount, undoubtedly swifter as they were not soaring on such a heavy frame. Stryders were not renowned for their speed for nothing, after all.
Evarette Karmine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on December 15th, 2009, 8:37 pm

She enjoyed lope that quickly moved into a gallop. Wind was primed to go. He hated being cooped up in Godiva's stone stable. Kavala was going to be excited to move him to the roomier box stalls at Ocean Breeze where there would be pasture and grazing for him as well. But she turned her thoughts from work, for it was work, and this was anything but. It felt good to get out, even though the air was brisk with the chill of winter as the horses descended from the cliffside down the wagon route that ended up on the sea. It was one of two ways down, the one less traveled, for the other lead immediately to the caverns below the city's waterfall that housed boats and dry docks. This one lead to the wilds, used by those that combed the shore for food and used it as a route for fishing.

Windsong was a smaller horse, but he had a long stride, so he easily shortened his pace to make sure the two women rode side by side. The konti admired the way Ivak moved, and for all that he was a big animal, he was light on his feet and had a smooth stride. Kavala, like most of the Drykas, spent her whole life on horseback so she was rather at home there. But in terms of her people, she wasn't considered a great rider. She was passable, because truthfully she'd spent more time on healing than working on her horsemanship. Someone had to heal them, and it was something she liked - work she was good at. She couldn't swing a sword like her sister, that much was for certain. And becoming a healer had gained her more respect and made up for the color of her skin. It was also the best way she could think of to help her father out, who was a good man. It made up for a lot of short failings a Drykas man suffered taking a Konti woman as a mate.. a konti who only gave him daughters until her death.

But Kavala's mind turned back to the present... to her new acquaintance she hoped would be a friend. Kavala knew she was a Drykas, but she had no idea about her history, her pavilion, or where she was from. But because of her own experiences in her own group of pavilions, Kavala was loathe to ask too many questions unless Evarette volunteered something of herself and opened up. The konti wondered if she'd already said too much, because she did that sometimes, thinking people were extending friendship when they were only being kind. And... Kavala craved a friend.

But she said nothing and only smiled, turning her gaze out across the scene before them. The two stallions swept down the wagon road, gradually, and then onto a hard packed road that paralleled the cliffs and overlooked the deeper sand that lead to the ocean. As they'd swept downward, the tropical vegetation had somewhat masked the pungent salt scent of the wind that seemed to hit them full force when they arrived on the beach. A vast seascape unfurled before them. The air was cool, moist, and misty as it teased the stallions manes and ruffled the women's hair. Kavala turned Windsong right, getting him off the road and up over the slight berm that lead to the soft sand beyond. The stallions surged up the slight rise, over it, and down into the soft sand that after a stride or two caused them to slow. They loped through the deep sand and out onto the firmer beach, scattering seagulls who cried their rage into the wind as they went airborne.

Kavala laughed, sat deeper in her seat, and brought Windsong down to a trot then a walk so that Evarette could look around. She didn't halt the little stallion. Instead she just put him into a brisk but sedate walk still heading in the general direction of north along the coast. They could see the massive waterfall behind them, spilling down into what looked like the opening of a bay. They could see the piled stone of a jetty designed to offer ships something of a protection getting in and out of Riverfall's harbor. Warfs and warehouses stretched out in the distance, but Kavala headed towards the wilds riding away from civilization. She left it up to Evarette to say something, if she was in the mood to talk, otherwise the Konti would just let her horse blow slightly as he wandered down the shore.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Evarette Karmine on December 26th, 2009, 1:31 am

Laughter spilled from her throat as Evarette eased Ivar down to a jaunty trot that quickly dissipated into a walk. Snorting his enjoyment, Ivar bowed his head, dark peaks flitting to and fro as though orchestrating a myriad of thoughts in his head. The run had provided the perfect outlet for so much pent up energy. Evarette placed a hand of his shoulder, pressing her knee into his side...and Ivar turned obediently. They headed down to the shore line, where the water hissed up onto the rippling plane of sand. Ivar halted just short of the water's reach, and Evarette slid from his back...

I wish it were warmer...Evarette sighed, gazing at the frigid waters as they advanced and receded, entranced by the ebb and flow...the air tasted of salt, crisper somehow...and so potent as she stood so close to the vast body of water. It seemed to stretch on forever...much like the grassy plains of her homeland. Kneeling down, she traced a dainty pattern on the damp face of the sand, grinning as the next burbling wave wiped her sandy slate clean. Perhaps that is just what I need...a clean slate. The thought was a hopeful one...but in truth, Evarette could not abandon the fate of her brother so easily...

She turned from the frothing shore, spotting Kavala and Windsong up ahead. Striding back to Ivar, she clucked to him encouragingly, wrapping a handful of braided mane about her wrist. Ivar broke into a trot, lengthening his stride into a canter...and the momentum aided Evarette in swinging atop his broad back. The joined the the rider and her stryder mount in short time.

"Kavala...I fear I must leave Riverfall soon. My search here has turned up nothing thus far...and if the weeks ahead prove to be just as fruitless, I'll have no other choice but to press on," she lifted her indigo eyes to the other woman, a tentative smile forming across her lips, "however, should I return....I really do believe I'd like to stay here. Perhaps you could find me useful in your new residence?"
Evarette Karmine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kavala on December 28th, 2009, 5:54 am

Evarette was perhaps one of the strangest women Kavala had met. She knew certain things about the woman. Eva searched for her brother. Kavala did not know why he was missing or the circumstances around his disappearance, but she did know that Evarette must have cared a great deal about him to search as long and as hard as she had. Eva didn't speak much, though perhaps it was just because the women were strangers for the most part and that Kavala with her cool white face often didn't inspire people to open up to her. She wasn't much good with people anyhow - another reason she used Rak'Kela's mark to aid animals instead. People lied, abused, took things that did not belong to to them while animals were much more honest. An icy gust of wind caught her loose white hair and brought her back to the presence, liberating her from her internal thoughts.

It was Winter.

Kavala loathed the season. It depressed her in ways she constantly fought, even when the sun was out and the snow wasn't falling. While she'd been inattentive, Eva had dismounted Ivar and was bending over the sand. Kavala closed her inside heel and Wind turned slightly to head back down the beach, his walk still sedate. By the time Kavala was almost back to the girl, she was remounted and moving out at a brisk pace. The konti waited for Eva to rejoin her and then turned her horse so that she rode alongside Ivar and Eva, looking pensive. "I understand." Kavala said, though she truly didn't. She wasn't sure her own family had missed her much or even knew that she had disappeared. She'd sent a message to her father once she'd settled in Riverfall, explaining that she'd found a Call to remain here for a time, which should sooth his worries, but if she hadn't been rescued Kavala wondered if she'd have ended up like Evarette's brother - vanished without a trace off the face of Mizahar. It was an odd sensation. Not knowing what others thought. Most of her race had just the opposite problem - knowing too much. Kavala could have easily figured out if the horses were happy, healthy, and enjoyed their lives, but as for people - they were a huge mystery.

She thought she should offer some form of comfort to Eva, assure her that she'd find her brother, but Kavala just had no such encouragement in her. Life was hard, bitterly hard, and something most likely had happened to him. If something wild hadn't eaten him, then the darkness inside of people had probably lashed out and ended his existence. But it was not something comforting she could offer Eva, saying what she thought, and so she said nothing for the longest time.

Sometimes it was better that way.

"I am here because I am answering something called The Call that my people experience. If I had a choice, I'd go home, face my family and the taint on me now, and get on with life. I don't have that choice though. It doesn't sound like you have a choice to stay either. Riverfall is a quiet city, peaceful even, and not much seems to bother the men here. It is difficult, strange even, to be among them and not part of them. I do not blame you for moving on, nor for trying to find your brother. But with each day that passes, the chances of you really knowing what happened to him will get slimmer and slimmer. You should find a sighted Konti, a 'finder' and ask her to look for your brother. At least she could then tell you if hes alive or not. I doubt if hes dead he'd want you combing the world for him." Kavala suggested. "You're likely to loose your own life living that way." She said softly, knowing from personal experience. "But if your path brings you back here, you'd be welcome to stay." Kavala said gently, leaning back on Wind's back, stretching her own back until her spine popped and she sighed slightly. "I have a lot to do in the next months, especially if I want to open in the Spring. I can use the help, but I can always hire local people as well. Sometimes its easier that way because they know who to go to, where to buy things, who to ask for help with work there is to preform." The Konti said, reaching up to tuck a white lock of hair behind her ears.

She met Evarette's indigo eyes, her own azure ones guarding a pain she failed to completely hide. "Be careful out there. Danger lurks everywhere, in even the most common things you could think to do. Ride off the well worn pathways, and do not always take the easiest way. Watch the sky as well as the grass, and move with the wind if you can, not against it. I hope if you leave this city, Evarette Karmine, I will again see you some day. But I have to tell you the odds are likely that I will not. We are no longer the majority - us people - within this world. And unfortunately, we are only preyfor most things, even other people." Kavala said gently, truthfully.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next