The Rural Mizahar

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

The Rural Mizahar

Postby AustinCarent on March 8th, 2011, 9:19 am

I am not sure how this works in a PbP - but I can already tell that traveling characters will come across more then what is recorded on the main map, small towns and various sights.

Will these be added to the map over time? Is there some submission we should do before carrying a story into a town that doesn't yet exist?
AustinCarent
Player

Words: 1874
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2010, 8:06 am
Race: Human

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Gossamer on March 8th, 2011, 9:27 am

You need to read more of the lore. There are no small towns and settlements outside the noted cities. Thus, I'm confident the answer to them being added to the map is no. Players may found new cities/settlements/organizations and they'll be added at that time.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Robert Cithon on March 8th, 2011, 12:54 pm

Yes Mizahar is to dangerous for small towns or vilages to exist in. Without a wall or other defensible structure and somesort of garrison to defend the people the establishment would perish.
Robert Cithon
Every Scar Is A Lesson Learned

Words: 84413
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2011, 5:31 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Ma'ii on June 25th, 2011, 12:49 am

I have been thinking about this the past few days I've come back to the site.

The premise in Mizahar is that there are no small settlements in the wilderness zones in between the cities. However, for agriculture to be able to support a large number of people it requires large tracts of land unless magic is continually used to improve crop yield... or people subsist on fungi. So it makes sense to have some small, fortified, farming settlements within half a day's ride, or in some cases a full day's ride, from the city.

While not truly "rural" in the present day meaning of the word, since they'd be closer to suburbs by our standards, those settlements would be the Mizahar equivalent. Their outlook would be slightly different from the "city folk" since they'll have to fend for themselves quite a bit in case of attacks, at least until help arrives from the city.

Imagine two concentric circles. The inner circle would be the city proper, walls and all, while the outer circle encompasses the area where you can find these agricultural settlements. The outer circle would also delineate the city's effective zone of conrol.

"We are with you in the raven, in our gods, in our wisdom. When you leave us, you take us. When you walk alone we follow. So take no path that would turn you from honor. For when you turn aside, we all do."
— Kalanue Chaktawe Blessing
Ma'ii
"Brother Coyote"

Words: 7934
Joined roleplay: September 11th, 2009, 10:27 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Cayenne on June 25th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Ma'ii - there is one such area on the outside of Syliras, I believe.

Speaking solely for myself and my region, Falyndar doesn't have anything like it. :)
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Essik on August 17th, 2011, 2:46 am

So... I'm sorry to necro-post on this thread, but I wanted to check to make sure I understood things right.

Players who are able to build the skills, resources, and manpower in character would be able to establish these smaller settlements in the wild? I realize that the settlements would have a very rough time of things for a long time, but I just wanted to check to make sure it could actually be done. I have been pondering this whole thing ever since I first joined back in the day.

Thanks,
Matt
Essik
"No...."

Words: 84827
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Character sheet

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Marlow on August 17th, 2011, 5:33 am

I'm given to understand that it would be possible with enough skilled people. Enough and skilled being the operative words.

"No, it doesn't start to come back. The knot's like everything else. I just found the rope and I did it."
— Jason Bourne, "The Bourne Identity"
Marlow
"It means driftwood"

Words: 22906
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2011, 7:59 am
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Scrapbook

The Rural Mizahar

Postby Essik on August 17th, 2011, 3:16 pm

yeah, that's what I was thinking. some organization and enough people with the the right skills, and good competency in those skills, all pulling together to make it all work out.

That works perfectly fine. Gives me some food for thought, anyway.

Thanks!
Essik
"No...."

Words: 84827
Joined roleplay: November 17th, 2010, 10:41 pm
Character sheet