Solo Say it out loud

Madeira proposes to Chiona

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Say it out loud

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2021, 7:54 pm

timestamp
Madeira was going to propose to Chiona Dusk tonight.

As she stood in the door of the Lover's Retreat, arms open to present her surprise romantic getaway to her lover, who was just sliding out of the saddle of her Okomo, she wondered what this penultimate moment felt like to others. She supposed it depended. Some proposed marriages were arrangements, some were for love, some for partnerships. Nerves seemed like a common thread between all of them. In that way, she was glad she wasn't alone, because she was so scared it felt like her insides were turning to liquid. This was two years of effort that came down to a single, decisive, yes or no question. This was the last obstacle between her and the life in Lhavit she wanted, and to stumble now would ruin everything.

"Madeira! Happy Aviakittis." Chiona, with a big smile, let go of her high-born propriety and ran the last few steps to give Madeira a crushing hug. From over her shoulder, Madeira could see her servant Maro lumbering to a stop on his own Okomo, Chiona's, and his luggage tied to the saddle.

"What I don't understand", Chiona continued, rocking in a slow circle with Madeira still crushed in her arms. "Is how you managed to book the Lover's Retreat during Aviakittis, of all days. The place is booked seasons in advance for this holiday." Her smile was alight and a little wicked as she stared down at the woman in her arms. "Be honest, who'd you have to kill to get this?"

"Absolutely nobody" Madeira mumbled evasively. "It just took a little savvy charm."

"And?"

"And little money."

"And?"

"And a small threat of eternal haunting."

"There it is."

Chiona laughed as she shifted her weight, trying to keep them both from toppling as Madeira struggled to find the balance point as they rocked in this bizarre little dance. "Thank you", Chiona whispered warmly. She kissed the top of Madeira's head. "This is a wonderful gift."

The Okomo were left to the hills and Maro with the luggage. Madeira and Chiona were free to race through the Retreat like little girls, laughing with delight as they threw open every door they passed. There was an enormous kitchen, multiple luxurious bedrooms, every surface was marble or skyglass, and every corner sparkled with tapestries and masterful paintings depicting stars they couldn't name and gods they didn't know. Multiple balconies were thrust out of the sheer face of the building, and with the mountain at its back, it showed nothing but an uninterrupted view of the sea and sky. While inside three more balcony stories looked down on an interior grotto that made Chiona gasp with wonder.

Madeira had brought flowers and chocolate because that's what Guinevere told her to do. Chiona had taken one look at the mess of rose petals in the bath and the candlelit, intimate, meal-for-two set up in the extravagant dining room and had rolled her eyes.

Instead, as Syna started to set, they dragged the blankets off of one of the beds and out onto the balcony. They sat on the floor sipping wine from the bottle, eating cheese from its paper shell and olives out of the jar. As the evening wore on Chiona described the constellations she knew as they appeared in the open sky, and Madeira told the sad stories of the tragic lovers who had died there. Then, when the stories ran out and the wine was almost gone, they kissed each other breathless.

Ledger :
Lover's Retreat, 3 day rental: -45ki
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Words: 1599220
Joined roleplay: October 11th, 2016, 7:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (3)
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) Lhavit Seasonal Challenge (1)
2018 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Say it out loud

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2021, 7:55 pm

timestamp
Night fell slow and languid. Chiona rose from where she had been nestled on Madeira's lap and yawned.

"I'm going to get ready for bed", she announced, rolling unsteadily to her feet. She had had significantly more wine than her smaller companion. "Join me, won't you?" she winked, in a move that was somehow both salaciously and unbearably cheesy, and weaved her way off the balcony and back into the bedroom and its on-suite bathroom.

Almost as soon as the door closed behind her another, a darker head poked into the room.

"Hi, sweetheart", Madeira smiled distractedly up at Maro as he slipped through the bedroom and out onto the balcony to join her. With Chiona gone the endearing tipsiness was melting off her face, and her anxiety was pushing up from underneath like weeds through cracked cobblestone. She sipped the wine and almost offered Maro some, before remembering he was just a child. Or at least he was now, two years after she knew him as an adult. After a confused pause, she took another sip herself.

"Miss?" Maro seemed oblivious, or perhaps just unaffected, by the awkward pause. "What would you like done with this?"

In Maro's hand was a black velvet box. The spiritist's eyes flicked to the door, but of course, Chiona was nowhere in sight. It was such a little thing, but just looking at it was enough to make her stomach drop.

"I'll keep it with me", she held her hand out for the box, which was dutifully pressed into her palm. "I'd hate to miss my moment."

"Is there an appropriate time to propose to someone?" The question furled Maro's dark brows. In it, she could almost see the gentle kelvic man he used to be.

"Yes. The problem is, you don't know it until it happens." She curled a finger, beckoning him closer. As he stepped into arms reach she caught his hand between her gloved ones. "I'll always take care of you, Maro. You know that, don't you?"

Maro blinked at her. "Yes, Miss."

"People think that's cruel of me, you know", she continued conversationally, tracing the unfamiliar lines of his palm with her thumbs. "The fact that I'll do anything for the family I made here. Do you think that makes me a bad person?"

It was hard to make Maro uncomfortable. The boy emoted like a block of wood. His two modes were polite bafflement and polite obedience, and this exchange was wildly outside of either. She watched him struggle internally for a moment. "No, Miss."

"In my nightmares, I'm always alone", she confessed. "I want to be in a position where I will be able to give you everything you will ever need, and where nobody will ever be able to take you away from me. Is it wrong of me to want that?"

Maro shook his head, his voice small. "No, Miss."

She smiled and kissed his smooth knuckles. "I don't think so, either. You should go, sweetheart, before she comes back."

The servant bowed uncertainly and left, slipping out as quietly as he had entered. Madeira watched him go. She didn't suppose Maro was a good person. Not that he was a bad person, either. He just didn't have the autonomy for either. Chiona, though, she was a good person.

The washroom door clicked open and Chiona reentered the bedroom, trailing fragrant steam. She was in her nightdress, her cheeks flushed from washing. Some part of Madeira recognized that she should feel guilty for what she did to her. The only reason they were lovers now was because Madeira had ruthlessly cut down the person standing between them, and took advantage of her broken heart. But now she had this; this marvel of a woman, clever and funny and talented, who was her one ticket back into the power she had left behind in Alvadas. Even if she did feel guilty, she could never regret it. This was everything she needed.

This will work, it has to. She slipped the little black box into her pocket.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Say it out loud

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2021, 7:56 pm

"My turn?" Madeira stood and stepped in off the balcony, stretching her arms cat-like over her head.

"It's all yours", Chiona smiled up at her as Madeira scooped her own nightdress off the bed and wandered to the washroom.

The inside was enormous, all marble and brass with a shine that somehow spoke loudly of unspeakable wealth. It must be good to be a fallen god, she mused.

Madeira studied her reflection in the mirror over the gilded sink. She turned her face this way and that, watching how the light pooled in her pale eyes and sharpened the line of her jaw. She was pretty, she supposed. In a make-up and old money kind of way. She pumped the facet in front of her, filling the basin with water, and splashed her face. Powder and paint swirled down the drain. Undoing her carefully tied hair, it fell thin and lank around her shoulders. When she looked up she met the eye of the tired stranger she was underneath.

She undid the front of her dress a button at a time, passing the tattoo on her chest, down into the valley between her breasts, where a raised wooden shape protruded from her body. A map of green vein-like sprouts radiated from it beneath her skin. She breathed, watching it rise and fall with the movement. This wasn't the first time she had been changed by a magic item. Infinity's Architectrix progenitor had planted another seed in her in the form of a sliver of wood. It was still in there, deep in her wrist. When it didn't end up killing her it had changed her, and suddenly a new language was in her head and a new type of magic was available to her. The Gods had changed her too, but the soul was harder to catalog. They did brand her though, one on her palm and another on her tongue, so she couldn't forget who it belonged to.

She had thought these changes were adding to her, that these were gifts that were given to her. But she was beginning to understand that that was not the case. She was giving pieces of herself away, selling parts of her body and soul for power. She belonged to gods and magic now, and she was being physically rewritten to show it. She wasn't quite sure what she was now, underneath all of it. The little girl that left Alvadas was probably still in there, but she wasn't sure she missed her.

Undoing the rest of her dress, she let the simple cotton slither to the floor. She was ugly in her nakedness; as weak and translucent as the ghosts she lived with, covered in scars and harsh, saturated tattoos. Inside she was a whirl of sensation. Life and death both brushed against her awareness, and though the former was much more solid and insistent than the latter, they both pulled at her like a compass that no longer knew the way north.

Would anybody back home recognize her?

No, she guessed. This wasn't the Madeira Craven that had left the city. The name didn't even quite fit anymore. Perhaps she needed a new one? She smiled regretfully at her reflection. Her name was just one more thing she was willing to give away in exchange for something that would serve her better. She spoke it aloud: "Madeira Dusk. Madeira Craven-Dusk." She rolled it around her mouth, stretched it between her teeth. Madeira Craven-Dusk; she belonged to everyone, and everyone belonged to her.

Pulling her nightdress over her head, she rallied herself and walked back into the bedroom.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Say it out loud

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Chiona was already in bed, a book in her lap and the lamp on the bedside table burning. She looked up as Madeira entered and patted the bed beside her. Madeira ignored her. She climbed onto the bed on the side Chiona was already on, flicking the book out of her lap and replacing it with herself, while the older woman pretended to be indignant about it.

"Have you been possessed by my childhood pet?" she laughed, her hands falling naturally to Madeira's hips. "Mister Mittens, is that you?"

"Have you thought about it more?" Madeira pushed on recklessly, a tentative smile on her face and her bare arms coming up to rest on Chiona's shoulders.

"About what?" In a tick the laughter had been sucked out of Chiona's voice. All of a sudden she sounded tired.

"About marrying me."

Chiona didn't answer right away. Instead, her gaze dropped and she focused on the leaf she had been using as a bookmark. Holding it between her fingers she shredded it into smaller and smaller pieces.

"I know it's for the best", she began slowly, like she was weighing every word. "I know this. After what you said... Politically, socially, you were right about all of it."

"But?"

Chiona looked back up at her, her expression unreadable. "But nothing. What do you want me to say?"

"I want you to say that you want it too."

Chiona opened her palm, letting the ruined leaf spiral to the floor like a whirl of confetti. "I'm not an idiot, you know", she sighed. "You would get a lot out of a marriage. The thing is, I would get a lot out of it too. And I love you, I do, but not enough. Not in the way it's supposed to be between life partners. What's more, I don't trust you to love me back in a way I understand."

Perhaps it said something about Madeira that it took her several hard, baffled ticks to realize that this was the truth. Completely bare, unfettered, honest truth. There was no apology in Chiona's eyes as she said it. She offered no qualifications. And worse, there was something in her tone that seemed to expect the same frankness.

Madeira's hands twitched behind Chiona's head. Her life and her profession had fostered a complicated relationship with the truth. Every word of it that left her mouth felt like it had a sharp edge to it, and she always expected the people she gave it to, to turn around and cut her with it. But she recognized that to back out now would damage something between them she couldn't rebuild. She just had to say it out loud.

"Let's play a game", she offered desperately. "Two truths and a lie. Do you remember it?"

Chiona smiled wryly. She didn't look surprised, just disappointed. "I remember. You used it to teach me how to Lie in spiritism."

"I seem to recall you were terrible at it."

"And you were just a little too good."

"Please, Chiona. Look, I'll start." Madeira cleared her throat, her tongue moistening her wine-chapped lips. "I have been betrothed, I have been in love, I have been a debutant."

"You loved your Kelvic, you told me that", Chiona sighed, rubbing her wrist over her eyes. "And a family with your pedigree probably has some sort of social pageantry. So you've never been engaged."

Madeira smiled nervously. "Alvadas aristocracy doesn't really work like that. I've never been a debutant. I'm engaged."

Chiona pulled her arm away to stare at her. Madeira swallowed hard and continued. "His name is Roland. I've never met him, but I'm told he is a good man. It's been arranged, and he will arrive in less than a season."

"Wait, why-"

"But you see", she leaned forward, pushing Chiona back against the headboard with her forearms. "If I'm already married, if I have a Cheva mark, there is nothing they can do."

She could see the pieces clicking together in Chiona's head: the letter she had burned, her evasiveness when she asked about meeting her family, the pressure she was putting on her for an answer...

"Your turn", Madeira pressed. "Two truths, one lie."

"Games are more your thing, Madeira."

"Alright then, one more." There was something almost hysterical about her as she bore down further on the older woman. "I love you, I love my family, I love myself."

The night moved slowly as the two women looked at each other. And in the space between them, there was a dawning sense that they were really seeing each other for the first time.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Say it out loud

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2021, 8:45 pm

"Madeira, what do you want?"

It was the same question Belladonna had asked her a season earlier. The answer hadn't changed. She wanted wealth and power and a name that mattered. She wanted to matter in Lhavit, in Kalea, in all of Mizahar. She wanted to never be alone again.

Madeira smiled, soft and gentle. "I want you."

"Then petching have me!" Chiona almost shouted it in return. Startled by the uncharacteristic outburst, Madeira had shifted in her lap, about to push back, but she hesitated before her uncovered hands made contact with her skin. In the light from the bedside lamp they were twisted and grotesque, and without the veiling power of the dark, she couldn't bring herself to touch her with them. "I'm tired of talking about this. I'm tired of trying to figure out what's right and what's best. You want me? Fine. Show me."

The older woman's eyes were blazing and fiercer than she'd ever seen. She didn't wait for Madeira to orientate herself before she reached for her. Her palm pressed into the wooden seed between her breasts, and Madeira startled in her skin. The touch was charged and almost angry, and she could feel it in every filament of the seed spread throughout her body. Chiona's fingernails traveled up and dug into the glow of the tiger skull tattoo on the flat plane of her upper chest, and every line of ink on the spiritist shivered. Madeira hesitated before she reached up and gently cupped Chiona's face, but when she did the woman looked so perfect and whole between her ruined, mismatched hands. The fingers of her right hand brushed over her lips, and the woman took them into her mouth. Madeira swore for a moment that the deadened scar tissue was alight with sensation.

Jomi had once accused her of having never loved anything that wasn't dead or broken first. It was true. Madeira loved monsters. She wanted those sharp edges, that unpredictability. She loved the gentle devotion of something that could hurt her, and she craved the restraint that a Dhani or a Kelvic needed to touch her. Next to that, humans were so insipid. Even Madame Belladonna, so skilled in her craft, never excited her beyond the simple mindless biology of it.

But like this, on top of this fragile human she had been hunting for years, her beautiful prey between her ugly hands, she felt something move inside her. Mine, it sang. This is mine, it belongs to me. My prize. My lover. Mine. Intoxicated by the thought, she dragged the woman into a kiss. She could smell the jasmine on her skin, and the soap from her own hands. Her arms snaked around her and she clutched her to her body. She wanted to cradle her, she wanted to crush her. She wanted to press soothing words to her throat, but she wanted to do it with her teeth. She pushed Chiona down onto the bed with her hands on her shoulders and marveled at this thing that was hers.

Madeira understood her love was selfish and brutal and came covered in strings, but if Chiona wanted it she was welcome to it. Madeira would just have to be the monster this time.

"Marry me", she gasped. "Chiona Dusk, I have loved you for years and I'll love you decades more. Will you marry me?"

"Petch you", Chiona snarled. "Petch everything. Yes. Yes, I'll marry you."

The cavernous Retreat echoed with the sound of them. Madeira, flushed and vicious with victory, used everything Belladonna had taught her to drag the sounds out of her lover. She was drunk off of it, finally having the Dusk heir shaking apart between her legs. This was the missing piece that made everything make sense.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Say it out loud

Postby Madeira Dusk on February 28th, 2021, 8:46 pm

"You understand what this is, right?"

Bells later, spent and glistening, Chiona was staring up into the bed's dark canopy. Like everything else in the Retreat, it was embroidered with stars. What a waste, Madeira thought, that these people spend all their lives looking up when there was so much happening down below. She moved sleepily against her.

"Is 'an agreement' too dry of a way to put it?", she mumbled into her shoulder.

"No, that's what I would call it too."

A woman had been strangled to death by her husband in the bed they were lying on. Madeira brushed against the foreign memory in acknowledgment and pushed it aside. This whole retreat was a horror show of suicide and violence, as a lot of romantic places were. Love and death enjoyed each others company.

"You haven't gotten over Allister", Chiona continued, as if voicing a conversation she was having with herself. "I'll never get over Lhelie. I'm marrying you for all the wrong reasons, and gods know why Madeira Craven does anything. This is a disaster waiting to happen."

With a languid stretch Madeira reached across the bed in the dark, the glow from her shoulder cutting ghoulish shapes out of her prominent bones. Then, when she rolled atop of Chiona, there was a little black box in her hand. "Cheers for second choices?", she purred, as she slid a diamond ring onto her finger.

Chiona opened her mouth, but thought better of it. She pulled Madeira down for a tender kiss. "Cheers for second choices", she agreed.
x
Madeira Dusk
long may she reign

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes