[Red Diamond Tavern] Getting to Know the Locals [Open]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Rhuryc on March 25th, 2011, 4:04 pm

7th Spring, 511AV

What was he drinking? It was sweeter than what they had in Syliras. He could actually stomach this liquid and not regret it. An improvement already. The hefty, wooden mug hit the counter with a dull clink, the dark froth within swirling about in its own chaotic fashion. Even the ale was better. Despite the strange looks he received upon his entrance to the tavern Rhuryc managed to secure his own seat at the bar and somehow ordered a drink, albeit his own understanding of Vani limited, it was not entirely absent. He could converse, sure, but most of the time he felt like an idiot, grasping for words and ending sentences with a stutter more often then not. So far the Vantha proved to be friendly folk. Understanding and appreciative of the effort to at least understand the language, though not thrilled to hold much of a conversation past the point of an excuse. That was to be expected.

Nevertheless satisfied, the young man turned about on his stool, his back resting against the counter in leisurely, relaxed manner. His attire was strange here. The long, leather coat he wore replaced any sort of sensible fur, the thick boots and plain tunic beneath making for a foreign, yet common occurrence. The differences in clothing were forgettable, it was the genetics that made him stand out the most. An average Vantha was shroter than Rhuryc by a whole foot. Their hair was all dark, his blond, and the eyes. For once in his life he felt an outcast for being normal. At least in his mind. Like their moods these people shifted eye color faster then Rhuryc could understand. So far from what he understood it had something to do with their emotions, albeit the consistency had yet to present itself. So much to muse upon.

Unconsciously, Rhuryc glanced about the room. One hand remained on the hilt of his blade - the motion no less than of comfort - while the other nursed his mug, the occasional sip marking his continued activity. The sights, the sounds, the people that gathered so late in the evening were a remarkable bunch, a collection of colorful, cheerful men and women, all joined together in a unique reverie foreign to the man. There was nothing like this in Syliras. With a keen sort of curiosity his attention flickered from one group to the neck, watching, absorbing, and understanding. Or at least doing what he could to comprehend. The language came slowly, but it came.
Last edited by Rhuryc on May 17th, 2011, 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rhaeol on April 7th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Rhaeol stepped into the Red Diamond, welcoming the familiar burst of noise that washed over him. Several heads turned towards him as usual. He kind of commanded a presence when he was significantly taller than the average Vantha. He liked to frequent the tavern in the evenings. It was a good place to pick up new stories, new gossip, and most importantly, it was a place where people were a little less put off by his blunt way of speaking, or at least weren't really cohesive enough to understand him.

I really need to work on that. I gotta be more conversational, stop just stating whatever comes to my mind. .

He noticed a man resting against the bar with green eyes, no flicker of any other color whatsoever. Whoever this was, he wasn't from around here. Rhaeol stepped towards him, for several reasons. Primarily, foreigners always knew of something intriguing that could make a superb story even if they didn't realize it. Secondly, he was new and Rhaeol couldn't help meeting new people. Perhaps it could be considered a compulsion, but he liked to think of it more of a hobby. And thirdly, it would give him a chance to try out having a conversation without just stating the obvious.

He sat himself down leisurely two seats away from the man. So far so good, just a regular casual, conversationalist. He ordered a drink than turned to the man.

"Hello. You're new. You're not a Vantha, how're you enjoying Avanthal..."
He said in common.
So much for a not stating the obvious. Let's try again.
"Sorry, I'm rambling. Hi, I'm Rhaeol."

He noticed several of the patrons supressing smiles. He was definitely notorious in Avanthal for his rambling.
Last edited by Rhaeol on April 14th, 2011, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhaeol
Music is Life

Words: 21469
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2011, 2:11 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Darren on April 8th, 2011, 1:12 am

The usual routine for the bar, the soft conversations and usual tall tales some of the more enthusiastic storytellers were sharing. He waved at the them before he found himself sitting with some of the people from Icewatch. Darren gave them a kind smile as he settled in with them. "So what's new around here?" he asked as he winked at some of the prettier kelvics in the group. "Surely something interesting must have happened since I saw you guys. I mean after all this is a bar after all" he said as he finally got his drink. As he got himself settled in they motioned to the newcomer, who looked to be somewhat having a decent time in Avanthal. Darren stole a glance at Rhuyrc as he sipped his drink, slowly deciding if he should make a move. That guy seems that he'd be decent in a fight he thought as he downed his drink. "I'd like another one if you don't mind Phil." he told the barkeep.

As he got his drink the bar opened as Rhaeol entered the bar. Hmph another Snowsong huh? he thought as he watched him sit next to the newcomer. Just yesterday I just fought one of them and left them unconscious on the snow. Meh, they just keep coming out of the woodwork he thought as he stood up. He stood up on his seat quickly takinga quick account of who else was in the bar. Alright those other three from last night aren't here either he thought as he looked back at the two. By then Rhaeol went ahead and started a conversation with the newcomer. Alright guess there's nothing else to do besides talking with the new guyhe thought as he stood over the seat next to them.

"Hey SnowSong"
He muttered in Vani as he got his drink refilled. He took a look at both of them as he smiled and said his piece. He spoke in his atrocious common as he looked at Rhuyrc "Hi. Darren. Welcome." he said as he pointed at himself. He sat himself to the left of the newcomer as he slumped forward speaking once again in Vani. "Hey, I'll just try to pick up a few words in common, while your talking with this guy. You go on ahead with your rambling, I won't be too much of a bother." he said looking forward, somewhat bored by the interaction. To be honest though, he was trying rather hard to understand what they were saying to each other as he looked forward.

To RhaeolCan't have less then 5 points in a skill when starting out
The original PC of Miria and Bolivar

Darren
I Dare

Words: 346232
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on April 8th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Rhuryc quirked a brow. With a glance he looked over his shoulder at the Common-speaking Vantha and took a moment to confirm that it was, in fact, him being addressed. Weird. His hand removed itself from the hilt of his sword and moved to rest on a leg, the other still engaged in its mug-attending activities. What was he going on about? Or, more importantly, what did he want? The bumbling speech did little to perk Rhuryc's interest, as demonstrated by his lacking stare, but maybe then it was better to just go ahead and respond. He needed friends after all. Or something like that.

But before he could open his mouth someone else did the honors. Snowsong? Darren? What? He sighed. Why were taverns always so silly when he visited then? He allowed for this second newcomer to finish before he turned to engage either of them, his back arching from a mild onset of irritation. What kind of rude introduction was that? The culture shock was almost too much. Had Darren addressed him in such a manner he probably would have trounced the fellow. Maybe he still would. Maybe.

Well met, Rhaeol." His baritone cut through the stray noise of the crowds. Neat trick, that. He made it a point to ignore the other fellow. For now. "You're fine. Better company than the invisible strangers." He flashed the man a grin before taking a quick draw from his mug. "I'm Rhuryc. Ramble on as you will."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rhaeol on April 8th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Rhaeol found himself in an odd situation now. He didn't know what to do. He had expected Rhuryc to give him a look of incredulity and sidle off inconspicuously by appearing to recognize someone in the corner or something. That was what everyone else did. But he hadn't, he had just grinned and introduced himself.

And on top of that, Darren Whitevine had shown up. Rhaeol had never officially met him, but had heard enough to know he was nearly the exact opposite of himself. All cool and composed, with logic trumping whatever happened to come to mind. The man actually thought about what he said before he said it. That was enough to illustrate the vast difference between them.

Rhaeol's eyes flickered an olive green as he struggled with this loss for words. He was never at a loss for words. He downed his drink and ordered another one quickly to buy some time to reign in his train of thought (as best he could anyway). He knew he shouldn't drink so much. Honesty upon a drink-loosed tongue was never a good thing. But two couldn't hurt.

"Rhuryc huh, you seem well travelled, where you from?"

So much for small talk there Rhaeol, just straight into a person's past. He'll definitely be running from me whenever he sees me after tonight.

Rhaeol restrained the impulse to knock himself in the head for his terrible conversational skills and tried to look relaxed and composed. Or at least like the drink was getting to his head and was responsible for his lack of composure.
Last edited by Rhaeol on April 14th, 2011, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhaeol
Music is Life

Character sheet

Postby Darren on April 9th, 2011, 12:25 am

The somewhat blank expression given to Rhaeol gave Darren quite a few impressions. He came to the conclusion that he probably was still pretty skiddish when it came to meeting the locals. Fine, Fine Darren thought as he let him and Rhaeol talk. He took a look at the one named Rhuyrc's drink and looked somewhat amused. It seemed to be one of lighter, sweet tasting drinks the bar had to offer, instead of the heavy brews which smell reminded him of moose musk.

He shrugged as he resumed drinking his milk, he didn't like the bitter taste of alcohol, so he never usually had any. He thought of his body as a temple more then anything as he took a look at his milk. He resumed lookinh calmly forward, trying to pick up some newer common words from their conversation. He recognized the greeting, the compliment but was lost with most of what he said already. He also noticed his weird timber of voice the man had and managed to figure out the stranger's name.

Hmm, not too bad if I saw so myself
he thought as he then looked to listen to what the Snowsong had to say. While listening he heard the stranger's name again and ended with some words he recognized, Rhaeol asked the man where he came from. Darren thought about it for a bit taking a look at the man's attire. Some of what this Rhuyrc wore was expected foreigner furs but he recognized the usual longsword associated with the people in the Syliras region. His eyes froze for a bit as a few thoughts came into his head, This man is probably from the Syliras region he thought talking another look at the man's face.

He recalled that the Syliras region was actually pretty violent, well... according to some of the rumors that the people in this very bar like to spread. There was Ravok where the followers of Rhysol gather, the monk city of Nyka and the knight ran Syliras that had so many laws that the ones supposedly defending the city are the true antagonists of the area. Well those were the only three he had heard of and the evidence that this man probably came from the area had him on edge.

"Your from Syliras Region yes?" Darren asked right before he had another sip from his mug. He motioned the bartender to give the newcomer a stronger brew as he leaned over the counter to address the Snowsong. "Careful, he might be one of the violent ones" he teased in Vani. He moved around in his seat a bit trying to wake up the rest of his body as he returned the mug to the Phil. He rested his head on his arm as he watched what the one named Rhuyrc had to say.
Maybe Darren would be pleasantly surprised and learn that the rumors weren't true. Or...the stranger just might cause a ruckus. His face gave a somewhat friendly gaze as he waited for Rhuyrc's answer.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on April 9th, 2011, 1:21 pm

"Rhuryc indeed." He said with a grin, his attention now solely set on the bumbling Vantha. For some he reason liked that man. Whether it was the manner or genuine, friendly intentions he was not sure, but there was an air of honesty about the fellow. And there it was. The eye shift. So far Rhuryc managed to pinpoint that the color change was a mood indication, but as to what that exact change was? He was stumped. Each Vantha seemed to differ in how or what the color meant. Sometimes it was obvious, but others - green for instance - the man had no idea. With a shrug he set his mug on the counter and turned his body toward Rhaeol.

"I'm not as well traveled as you would thi-" He stopped, his thought interrupted by the man behind him. His back straightened. Shoulders tensed. Irritation slipped into his form as he cycled the words through his own Vani. Violent, huh? What a prick. Annoyed, and especially dubious has to how the man guessed his origin - after all, his attire was fairly common throughout Syliar, his accent in no way specific to the city of Syliras itself, maybe he could read minds. Who knew. His shoulders stiffened beneath the thick, leather coat that shadowed his torso. Why did this always happen in taverns.

"Yes. From Syliras." Annoyed, Rhuryc shifted his seat again and turned his head over a shoulder to examine his temporary irritant. He was not impressed. The snark, smug demeanor the man carried about himself did not help the mood. At all. "Do you mind?" He switched to Vani, the thick, southerner accent somewhat difficult to decipher. "You're rude. Trying to have a conversation."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Rhaeol on April 10th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Darren had a point. Rhuryc certainly looked the type who knew how to carry himself in a fight, and the way he touched the hilt of his blade showed he was obviously comfortable using it as well. And Darren was definitely a strong opponent when it came to a fight. Suddenly, Rhaeol felt quite small despite his height. All he had going for him was that he could run sort of fast and could sometimes hit the target if he had a bow in his hands (which was obviously not the case here.)

It seemed, that Darren was trying to wind up Rhuryc to start a fight, and from the way Rhuryc had tensed, it seemed he was headed in that direction. "If it comes to a fight, just leave me out of it." He hissed at Darren in Vani, he doubted he could stop a fight, but at least maybe he could get a way without being a part of it. I'm such a wimp he thought, but I'm proud of it.

"Syliras huh?" He said to Rhuryc now in common, trying to placate the mood as best he could, "You ever been to Riverfall?".

You just merged to questions together dummy! He thought immediately after speaking Why can't I ever just ask normal questions!
Last edited by Rhaeol on April 14th, 2011, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhaeol
Music is Life

Character sheet

Postby Darren on April 13th, 2011, 6:17 pm

oocSry meant Syliar not Syliras

Darren was taken back as the man spoke Vani. Hehe oops he thought as he grinned at himself his hand rubbing the back of his head, how much of that did he understand? He shrugged acting sheepishly as if he was embarrassed by the way he was acting. Normally he wasn't like this truth be told but he usually met strangers with this demeanor. But since he's trying to be polite I suppose I can try to do the same. "I'm sorry, just excited is all" he replied to both of them in Vani.

He chuckled at Rhaeol's request, he wasn't trying to lead it into a fight, rather he was just prepared if one were to break out. He then nodded up and down to help ease the tension, if only for a moment. He returned to his usual casual state of watching for it seemed that Rhaeol can do the talking for both of them. "Why Riverfall?" he asked Rhaeol as he leaned in over Rhuyrc's shoulder. He looked as he patiently listened to their individual stories. Today seemed to be a pretty lax day he thought as he noticing the patrons around them lounging around.
Last edited by Darren on April 14th, 2011, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on April 14th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Rhuryc shifted. Uncomfortable. He buried himself in his mug for a moment, drained the lot of the liquid, then brought the clay construct down to the counter. With a free hand he motioned for more. That would help, sure. The Syliran was most obviously irritated. Prickled, maybe. Enough to throw a punch, but alas! This was no place to lose his temper. Instead, the man allowed himself a few, twitching movements, from the constant drum of his foot tapping against the wooden floor to the occasional flick of a finger on the hilt of his blade. He would have liked to punch someone. Instead, he smiled.

"Maybe he's curious." Rhuryc spoke in Darren's direction. His gaze shifted to Rhaeol shortly after with a lighter, easy going canter. "Never been there, no, but we get enough Akalaks in Syliars. I know a bit of Tukant. Nothing to brag about, but it certainly, ah, helps when dealing with them. Akalaks that is. Did you intend on venturing that direction?"
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next